Mike Alvarado Initially Over, Then Makes Weight

BY Michael Woods ON October 18, 2013

Alvarado Provodnikov weighin 131018 001a bf5bcUPDATE: Alvarado got a sweat up, and came back to the scale, and weighed 139.8, so all systems are go for a bout which fight fans have high expectations for.

Mike Alvarado was one pound over and Ruslan Provodnikov made weight on Friday afternoon, ahead of their Saturday night clash in Denver, and on HBO.

Alvarado was 141 pounds, and was given up to two hours to make 140, while the Russian Provo (22-2 with 15 KOs) was 139.8. The two are pictured above in a Chris Farina-Top Rank photo.

They will clash at the FirstBank Center in Denver on a Top Rank card. Provo is handled by Banner Promotions.

The Denver-born Alvarado (34-1 with 23 KOs), age 32, will be defending his WBO 140 pound crown, if he makes weight.

The 29-year-old Provodnikov's rep is at a career high, coming off his March thriller against Tim Bradley, which he lost via narrow UD, but which picked him up oodles of new fans.

Here is some video content from the Boxing Channel touching on this anticipated clash. Marcos Villegas chats with Provodnikov here and here is footage from the first Alvarado-Provo presser.

Alvarado is an idiot. Nuff said! Holla!

ultimoshogun says:

This is gonna be a fun one...I got Alvarado stopping the Russian in round 9 or 10.

Hop says:

I don't know if I've told anyone on here yet, but I'm going to be there! [Please note sarcasm, and tell Hop to shut his pie hole -- before you shut it for him].

riverside says:

Provod. anis gonna pull this one out, Hoping he wins! i'm thinking he will steamroll the drain weaken Alvarado. My boy beat the Russian and he has always wanted a re-match, My boy needs a pay day, and I think we would outbox him again....keeping my fingers crossed

teaser says:

was going with Alvarado but since seeing him at the weigh in ....he didn't look good ...Ruslan on the other hand was full of energy and healthy looking

SouthPaul says:

Just saw weigh in pics of Alvarado. Looks gaunt. He's getting crushed tonight.

i read somewhere that the russian came to colorado late and may deal with some stamina issues due to adapting to the elevation.

riverside says:

[QUOTE=amayseng;38858]wonder why he didnt make weight the first time? wonder if there was an injury or something in camp that resulted in coming in heavy, alvarado doesn't seem like a lazy or unfocused fighter...

this is a great matchup though, I am not picking or pulling for either I like both guys[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=riverside;38860]Amay, Alvarado is big dude, amazing how these guy's Ala Chavez Jr take all that water weight off, Alvarado can easily be fighting @ junior middleweight.[/QUOTE]

I did not realize alvarado was that big. being 33 it would better him and most every fighter to fight closer to their walk around weight.

Hop says:

Well, boys, I'm off to the fights (always the early bird). Really like Provo, but I've got to pull for my fellow '303' repper, "Mile High" Mike. If you see a goofy-looking 6'4" dude on TV wearing a white T-shirt w/the image of hanging boxing gloves and the word "Respect" underneath them, it's yours truly.

riverside says:

enjoy hop!! i'll be watching it here in my living room rooting for the Russian!

spit bucket says:

I'm going with Ruslan the Russian... especially after seeing Face Off. The guy is deadly honest and seems so grounded and sure of himself. He said it would come down to will and character and he seems to have more than Alvarado.

riverside says:

wow!! what a fight, Now Lets make this happen!!! Mauricio "el Maestro Herrera vs Ruslan Prodvo.." ....excited