Team Garcia Would Happily Fight Mayweather Next

BY Michael Woods ON October 01, 2013

GarciaJudahPC 10-1-2013 08130If it were determined that he was the man next in line, if Danny Garcia were told that Floyd Mayweather would like to step in the ring with the Philadelphia-based 140 pound champion, would the 25-year-old take the leap to 147 pounds, and see if he can prolong his streak as boxing's king of all underdogs?

I asked Danny's trainer-father Angel Garcia Monday night in Brooklyn, and Angel told me that yes, Team Garcia would take the fight in half a heartbeat.

The boxer convinced some stubborn holdouts that he is something much more than a paper champ, someone who has feasted on past-their-prime and chinny victims with a UD12 win over Lucas Matthysse on the Floyd Mayweather-Canelo Alvarez undercard in Las Vegas on Sept. 14.

Would the masses of fight fans like Garcia to dethrone Mayweather, the 45-0 wizard of the ring who has looked as good in his last two fights as he has ever? No. Unless Mayweather were to take his game to 160 pounds or 168, there is nobody at or near his weight class who would be given much of a chance to win more than a couple rounds from him, let alone beat him. But no surprise from folks who have heard Angel Garcia talk about what a rock star his son is for the last few years, Angel told me Danny would beat Floyd.

If it were offered for May 3rd, Floyd’s next date, would they grab it? “Yeah we’d do it, “ Angel said to me before a Golden Boy card kicked off at Barclays Center in Brooklyn on Monday night. “We’d have to see, we don’t want to jinx it but the champ (Danny) fights the best in the world and Floyd is one of the best. That would be a good fight, you know why? It’s two holy fighters fighting each other, I’ll call it the Holy War. My boy has to win. How? We have to get the fight first, then start planning,” he said. “If they give the fight to someone else, then we plan for no reason. I’m not going to talk about Floyd bad, (the fight hasn’t been made).”

And with the rumor mill suggesting that Amir Khan could have the inside track on the next Floyd fight…was Angel irked at hearing that, considering Danny kayoed Amir in round four when they faced off in July 2012?

“I got a little upset, yeah, like everybody, I was like, ‘Why Khan?’ He aint got no chin,” the father said.

Follow Woods on Twitter.

Too bad Floyd and Thurman are being managed "around" each other by the invisible Al Hayman. I think that would be an interesting fight... More competitive than Garcia.

Hop says:

Not sure about that. Garcia has passed the tests from much higher-level opposition than has KT, and is making a habit of exceeding expectations. I'd be down with either fight (expecting a Mayweather win by decision), but would much prefer Pacquiao, Golovkin, Martinez (still), or even Broner.

riverside says:

why not!! I don't think Garcia will be any closer than Canelo is beating him, A good pay check will not hurt, Acctually a good fight for Garcia, he will not be in a war, he will loose a chess match.

The Good Doctor says:

Agreed. Although I think it doesn't happen, Garcia vs. Thurman would be a nice tilt. It has firefight written all over it but I would imagine Garcia is now looking for bigger paydays after a fight with Matthysse. Thurman should call up Lucas and see if they can put something together. They could headline a nice card.

styles make fights and Thurman would be more competitive. he is more aggressive.

garcia waits and adapts.

Carmine Cas says:

I would love to see the promotion of a Mayweather-Garicia fight. Angel Garcia appears to have surpassed a younger Floyd Jr in the art of trash talking, maybe he even gets under Jr's skin? I doubt it but the pre-fight hype alone will make it exciting. At the end of the day I think Mayweather wins a dominant UD, no knock on Garcia but Floyd is simply bigger and faster.

Carmine Cas says:

"One time" would be an interesting match up because you have fighter with speed and power looking to bring the fight, their styles mesh well and Floyd would be forced to engage more

I'm riding with Money May dancing with Amir Khan in Dubai, or slim maybe Sin City, Nv, USA.

He will never fight 3G at any weight. Holla!

The Shadow says:

I would love to see the promotion of a Mayweather-Garicia fight....At the end of the day I think Mayweather wins a dominant UD, no knock on Garcia but Floyd is simply bigger and faster.

This might surprise you but Garcia is much, much bigger than Floyd. He walks around at or near 170 pounds.

As for GGG, I don't know why people even bring that up. A) He fights on HBO and they have invested tons of money into that guy and b) I know his team says he can but let's see him even fight at 154 first before people start calling for that.

Paul Williams' team said he would fight at 168. Well, we never saw that happen.

And you all already know who the next opponent is. No need to wonder. It should be about 75% done by now.

The Shadow says:

Directly from Brother Naaz who knows and knows well:

Well, with Danny, if he makes the weight, he's already halfway to winning the fight. Danny is a big dude. He walks around almost 170 pounds and a lot of guys can't do that...

He walks around big and not a lot of fighters can do that because he's not weak. He can still crack your *** and make it feel like a middleweight is hitting you. He is real strong at the weight and usually when a guy loses that kind of weight, they leave that power behind. I really don't know how he makes the weight, but as long as he does, the rest of the 140-pounders are in trouble.

He will never fight 3G at any weight. Holla!

agreed, and i dont blame him

Carmine Cas says:

Interesting point, I also meant he his taller than him and has a longer reach. Yeah GGG is kind of moot at this point, too many obstacles right now but he would be the biggest challenge to Floyd.

Amir Khan looks to be Floyd's next opponent, it should be good while it lasts

The Shadow says:

Amir Khan looks to be Floyd's next opponent, it should be good while it lasts

I actually think Floyd Mayweather-Andre Ward at 160 is the toughest challenge for either man.

I agree, Mayweather-Khan is a fun fight.

Hey, here's another fun fight: Victor Ortiz vs. Paulie Malignaggi.

Carmine Cas says:

Yeah so Danny is a big boy, one of the guys I train with works as press and also does some promotions as well. He met him recently and said he's a little shorter than me, I'm about 5'10.5, Danny is listed as at 5"9 that sounds about right That's crazy that me makes 140 from 170 but when you're making millions it makes it a lot easier.

B-Hop and Floyd would be Ward's toughest tests, although if Andre can set a fast pace vs Hopkins he can beat him up.

I hear Ortiz is coming back, does anyone know who he might fight?