David Haye Cut, Pulls Out of Fury Fight

BY Michael Woods ON September 21, 2013

tss 8e220You knew it wasn't good, if you were a David Haye fan, or even a fan of Tyson Fury, who was set to meet Haye on Sept. 28 in a Brit vs. Brit clash which was to screen on HBO.

"This is the worst tweet I've ever had to send. I'm so sorry everyone," it read. The link went to his website, and a picture to provide proof. Here's the message on the Haye website, which went up early Saturday morning, East Coast (US) time.

Hayemaker Boxing regret to inform that David Haye has been forced to postpone his September 28 bout with Tyson Fury due to a deep cut suffered during the final spar of training camp.

The cut above his left eyebrow occurred in round two of sparring on Friday night (September 19) and required six stitches by a plastic surgeon at St. Thomas' hospital. Because of the gravity of the cut, these stitches will now remain in place for five to seven days. Unfortunately, after being properly assessed, Haye was left with no choice but to postpone his fight with Fury, scheduled for next Saturday night in Manchester. He is currently waiting on further medical assessment to determine the extent of the postponement.

“Gutted isn't even the word,” said a crestfallen Haye. “Mentally, I'm on the floor at the moment. I'm devastated most of all for my loyal fans, my family and my team, as well as Tyson Fury and his team. I know injuries and cuts are part and parcel of our sport, but this doesn't change the feeling of disappointment and sadness I'm experiencing right now. To everyone who has bought tickets, booked hotels, and followed this fight since it was announced, there is absolutely nothing I can do except apologise from the very bottom of my heart.

“Even when everything seems to be right on track, sometimes life throws you a curveball. I will somehow have to try and make the best of this horrible situation. But, right now, I'm in bits about what has happened.”

Hop says:

A disappointment, sure, but I thought Haye expressed his feelings of sadness for the fans excellently. Sounds very sincere. I thought it was a classy touch to include "Tyson Fury and his team" in his apologies. Nicely handled, David, and wishes for a full and rapid recovery.

Here's a pic of the cut he suffered:

BTW, I wonder who he was sparring with?

I knew this bout was never gonna happen. Hayemaker is small on da cojones. "Fist of" Fury would beat him like a drum. Holla!

super glue that thing and make it in the fight....

the intrigue would be higher and if he gets stopped from an open cut then he goes out with honor and i am

sure he gets a rematch and another paycheck...its a win win to fight, a lose lose to drop out....

Sparring with so many heavy hitters has its risks.

Not properly wearing the headgear was the problem. Holla!

The Shadow says:

RG, what happened with that 300-pound poser at that Cali gym? Did you really ice him in 20 seconds?? What combo did you land on him? LOL details, please.

I feinted a jab. I hooked off it to his liver. I followed with a left cross to his heart. A right stab to his temple. And a straight left to the chin. He went down in sections. His legs collapsed. His butt crashed into the canvas and lastly his tumbled face down on his mutt. Holla!

The Shadow says:

I literally spat out my Saturday night Coca Cola LMAO!! "Left cross to the heart...He went down in sections."

Hilarious. Indeed a "sweet kayo!" You made him humble old country way. Did he stop hollering after getting floored?

Bernie Campbell says:

Put this Footsie up your Old English a-- Prince Phillup!

Word is that the dude will not be coming to the gym anymore. Hehehe! Holla!

The Shadow says:

Classic stuff. BTW, check out this article from UK from a few weeks ago. http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/09/vitali-klitschko-says-david-haye-fight-would-be-perfect-way-to-bring-the-curtain-down-on-his-career-3955483/

Turns out Vitali is trying to get out of his mandatory for a fight with David Haye. While it would be silly to to pull out and leave all those millions on the table, regardless what happens vs. Vitali, the Tyson Fury fight would still be there.

Could something seedy be going on? The Klits are not above being seedy themselves as they've shown with them cancelling on Chisora and putting the poor fella in debt.

Carmine Cas says:

What a shame, I was looking forward to this fight