Sergey Kovalev has leapt from the pack and is one of the new bomber brigade who is must see TV. The WBO light heavyweight champ proved his worth to those who had held out on committing to his excellence with a demolition job on young gun Nathan Cleverly last month, and so I'm keen to know when the Russian is slated to get back in the ring. His promoter, Kathy Duva of Main Events, is keen to know the same. She's been in constant contact with the crew at HBO to firm up a date, and terms for Kovalev's next bout. I chatted with Duva to see if there is any news on what's next for Kovalev.
"HBO is trying for November or December, but I still don't know," she said, indicating that the word of a concrete plan could come as early as today. A fight in the US is likely, she said, though she said there is heavy interest for the 30-year-old Kovalev (22-0 with 20 KOs) to fight in Russia, as well. Duva chose not to divulge possible dance partners, as that can muddy the mix, and make negotiating partners a tad greedier when it comes to their ask. "It would be someone in the top 10," she said.
Readers will recall I sat down with the HBO crew a few weeks back, and they have dates cemented on Nov. 9, with Mikey Garcia and Nonito Donaire seeing action, and Nov. 16, too. Those principals haven't been made official, but the next week is blocked off on HBO PPV for the Pacquiao-Rios tangle. The last Saturday in November is also a "go" week, so maybe we see Kovalev inserted into that hole. HBO, as of last month, thought they might do one more event in December, as well. "I don't care who it is, Sergey will fight anyone, we just need to know the particulars," Duva said, in closing.
Readers, you have a wish list on who in that 175 top ten you'd like to see Kovalev scrap with? Let us know, in our Forum.
Do you think Alvarez vs Golovkin will fight in 2016?