The Ultra Even-Keeled Canelo: "I Still Think Floyd's At His Peak"

BY Michael Woods ON September 03, 2013

011CaneloinBallparkIMG 4309Mexican sensation Canelo Alvarez hopped on a conference call on Tuesday afternoon, to hype his Sept. 14 showdown against Floyd Mayweather in Las Vegas.

Oscar De La Hoya started out the call, after being handed the reins by PR ace Kelly Swanson.

Oscar said it's trending like that the PPV for the bout will break records, and "these are exciting times for boxing."

Oscar introed Alvarez, who has been a pro since age 15, a topic which is discussed in an ESPN The Magazine feature which hits newsstands this week. Oscar said that Canelo is the most popular man in the sport and that he hasn't yet reached his true potential.

The fighter spoke Spanish, and Golden Boy matchmaker Eric Gomez translated for him. Canelo said he's in Vegas, ready to rock n roll.

Canelo was asked why, he thinks, that this superfight has caught on, arguably, more than other recent superfights, such as ones involving De La Hoya, or Pacquiao "I believe it's because of the fans..it's the one that they wanted to see..there's a euphoria," he said. "They know it's a fight that's not going to be easy for either of us," he said.

De La Hoya was asked why he thinks this fight has caught on so bigtime. He said it's because many are thinking Mayweather will get beaten by Canelo ( pictured above in Tom Casino-Showtime picture).

Alvarez was asked if he thinks Floyd can hurt him at all. "I think that any fighter at any given point can land and hurt anybody," he answered.

He said Floyd is a different breed and he can't be thinking that any other foe he's met is of a similar nature.

The Mexican said that his weight, and making 152 pounds, won't be a problem. "It's not going to bother me at all," he said. "My most recent fights, I've been under." He said he thinks that weighing 152 will make him faster, in fact.

And what will be his top asset come fight night? His counterpunching ability? His physicality? Counterpunching will help, he said, but he'll need to do it all. After the first round, he will see what he will be able to do. "Smart pressure" is his aim.

Canelo was asked about Oscar predicting that Alvarez will KO Mayweather, within eight rounds. "It's actually an honor to hear those comments from Oscar, that I'm going to win," he said. He will not press for a KO, though. He did predict that he will win. Oscar said he thinks Canelo can handle the pressure. "I can see it, I can envision it, because I know what he's capable of, I understand his potential," Oscar said. Canelo hasn't shown "one bit of what he's capable of," he said. "He's the whole package, he hasn't put it all together because he hasn't fought Floyd Mayweather, the best pound for pound fighter in the world."

Won't he be overwhelmed by the expectations of his countrymen and women? No, he said, he's grateful for the opportunity, and isn't weighed down by the hopes of his nation. He's also happy, he said, to get love from red-heads, and all other hair colors too.

Sparring with partners who gave him Floyd-like looks helped him immensely, Canelo mentioned. (Of course, someone can try to imitate Floyd, but the real deal is another level or two higher, right?)

Canelo said that when they fought, Ricky Hatton made mistakes by coming in "wide open" against Floyd. We can surmise he thinks he will be wiser when he exerts pressure.

Is he the No. 1 fighter in Mexico now, he was asked. The humble boxer said that question has to be asked of the fans and media, he can't answer it.

Floyd should be ready for everything from him, because "one punch is all it takes." And how will he win? Any way will do, he said. And could Floyd get dropped and stopped, as Abner Mares did two weeks ago, versus Jhonny Gonzo? "I'm working hard for this fight, one punch can change everything, anything can happen, you really don't know," he said, reiterating that we will have to see how things play out, and predicting is basically useless.

Would a win make you a pound for pound giant? Of course, he said, "it would be a great win. It can change history."

And does he think Floyd might be underestimating him, saying he thinks he's faced better men than him? "Yes", he said, he believes he might be, but he may also be worried about him.

Canelo noted that Floyd does use his elbows and forearms but he doesn't think Floyd is dirty.

Ten days out, how is he feeling? "I feel very, very well, physically and mentally," he said. It is the best he's ever felt.

Julio Cesar Chavez said yesterday that Canelo might lose some stamina coming to Vegas now, after training in Big Bear. "Everybody thinks differently," he said, saying he wanted to get acclimated to the heat in Vegas.

And regarding Floyd saying that the Cotto fight was and would be tougher than this fight? "That's good he's thinking this way," he said, noting Floyd will see up close how hard it will be, soon enough.

And if Mayweather pressures him, brings the attack to him? "I will make my fight, and not allow Floyd to dictate the tone and pace", he said.

Would he like to dedicate this fight to anyone? My supporters, family and teammates, he said.

I wondered if Floyd has gotten under his skin, as he's so even keeled. "No," he said, "he never got under my skin, I've always been very, very strong mentally, I like to be very, very strong. He likes to do his talking in the ring, he said".

He admitted that the right punch can hurt anyone, even him, when asked if Floyd could possibly KO him.

At 23, is there only upside, since he's so young, and could come back from a loss? No, he said, "I have a lot to lose," he asserted.

Oscar was asked if he senses this could be the next great trilogy. There would be a rematch if Canelo wins, and he thinks both would want a sequel.

How could Canelo get that KO he's talked about, Oscar was asked. The promoter said Canelo has what it takes to "land that perfect punch."

Oscar was asked if there are any stipulations if Canelo comes in overweight. "There would be a penalty", Oscar said, but "Saul is going to have no problem whatsoever."

Canelo was asked to compare his popularity to that of Juan Manuel Marquez. "I don't like to talk about that stuff," he said.

"A Canelo win would be the top two or three all-time wins for Mexican fighters", Oscar said. Canelo said that a win would be massive for Mexico, and he will let the people decide if that win would be bigger than Julio Cesar Chavez' biggest wins.

What edges does he hold, and why is he so confident he will get the W over Floyd? "I can't say that I have that many advantages," he admitted, but he likes his game plan, and knows he's going to win. Has he seen any decline in Floyd? No, he said, not al all. "He maintains himself very well, I still think he's at his peak. He's still Mayweather."

teaser says:

IF Floyds hands bother him...and his legs start to slow down ...maybe Canelo has a chance ..he's got to be able to corner him and get off effectively ...also remember when cotto's brother had him wobbley? ...if that happens with floyd it's game over

kidcanvas says:

i think because of canelos lack of competition comparible to mayweathers (even tho most were light,old and shot) he will get a spanking from floyd after a few rds. itll be like canelos in with a octopus...

dino da vinci says:

Less than two weeks away, I'm starting to get excited for these two big fights. Canelo has a punchers chance at best. He HAS to get inside and hurt Floyd but Floyd will tie him up and keep the fight at distance and win a UD or maybe a bust up stoppage. Matthysse-Garcia really has me excited! Bombs will fly, both fighters may hit the deck. Edge of the seat time!

I'm more looking forward to the Matthysse-Garcia bout than the main event. Heckuva scrap.
@the Roast. Is your girl getting more beautiful with time?

Carmine Cas says:

Canelo has a punchers chance, if he uses the proper strategy he can make it somewhat competitive

Caleno has no chance in this dance. There is a born-again chance that the world is gonna end. But it ain't going to happen. Fifty years from now nutcases will still be saying that the world is ending. Holla!

I'm with ya there is a good buzz going about.

brownbomber says:

@radam

In the history of floyd since the Olympics did you ever pick against him or see him losing a fight? Like maybe when he fought big money O before the actual fight

I was with Money May against Big Money O from the jump. And YES I have seen Money May losing. In his second bout, as a pro, he was losing before he came back. Same with J.L. -- that bout could have gone either way just the one with Cotto. And Zab Judah was on his way to beating Money May until Judah had a mental break shorted out. Holla!

brownbomber says:

@radam
I mean have you ever picked against him before a fight?

No! He never fought an at-his-prime fighter that I could've pick to beat him. And that is smart prizefighting. Later for pridefighting. Money May knows when the picking is good. That is why he is great. Holla!

gibola says:

I see an easy points win for PBF. Canelo's best hope is to really busy up his jab, conserve energy, don't fall for the 'flail away' when PBF covers up on the ropes, try to box and win rounds, particularly the early rounds. The ODLH 'blueprint' (if it exists) is for the jab to trouble PBF as ODLH and Cotto showed, PBF can be hit with the jab. The key then is to stay busy enough and defensively alert enough to win seven rounds behind the jab while keeping PBF relatively becalmed and defensive. Punch WITH PBF, when he wants to exchange, but otherwise stay behind the jab and try to win rounds. The difference is ODLH was quicker and more mobile than Canelo so it's not going to be easy to follow that so-called 'blueprint'. PBF W12 Canelo - 8-4 or 9-3 unless PBF has gotten very old very quickly and that isn't going to happen.

brownbomber says:

Big Money O didn't leave any "blueprint" that's all hype hype hype. Castillo did well against money because he could take shots like a mutha and keep coming forward, and was in condition to press hard for 12 rounds. Nobody floyd has fought since him has been in shape to do that for 12 rounds of coming and taking shots

dino da vinci says:

@radam
I mean have you ever picked against him before a fight?

You don't make a lot of money betting against Mayweather. Use my system: Figure out how Floyd will win. Floyd is always favored. Always has been, always will be. If oddsmakers make Floyd an underdog, then they don't understand Floyd, and they don't understand what makes him tick. Last fight I wagered on Floyd by decision. My logic was simple. Floyd is not losing and Robert isn't getting knocked out. The difference? Instead of laying 7.5:1, I layed 2:1. Is it a perfect system? No. I lost heavily on Floyd when I thought he would stop the Argentinian. Had I just wagered on Floyd just to win, I'd be about perfect wagering on him.
But I'd rather put up 200 to profit 100 than risk 750 to make the same 100. Again, since Floyd has never entered the squared circle as an underdog, this is one way to approach it. When Las Vegas sports books favored Manny over Floyd, you had the chance to get Floyd at +115, which means for every hundred you are prepared to risk will get you your money back plus $115. Where else can you get the world's best fighter plus money? I can't tell you how mad I was at Floyd. Was it a sure thing? Of course not. But we'd of had way the best of it.

dino da vinci says:

People who keep mentioning Mayweather-Castillo I are wasting their time. Ya think Floyd realized he had a little trouble? Do you think that might of been one of the first things they worked on coming off that fight?

@the Roast. Is your girl getting more beautiful with time?

Of course Dino, she is only 25. Many more prime years ahead.

dino da vinci says: