Statement From Team Tyson On Sobriety Slip

BY Michael Woods ON August 24, 2013

Team TysonMike Tyson has provided drama inside the ring, outside the ring, basically wherever he appeared, whatever he was doing. The boxer turned promoter, who has a new six-part docu-series being unveiled Sept. 22, and an autobiography coming out in mid November, had turned a corner, apparently, after hitting bottom amid rampant drug use and suicidal ideation in 2009. But that doesn't mean the drama has stopped, or his road is now paved with nothing but serenity. Tyson offered up the makings of another chapter of a life lived most tumultuously when he admitted on Friday night that he's had a slip in his sobriety. The boxer has admitted using cocaine to the extent he said he was surprised when he'd awake the morning after a binge, but several months ago, he was proudly stating he'd been sober for four years.

During the post-fight press conference at Turning Stone Casino in Verona, NY following his first show as a promoter, the boxer kayoed the assembled press by admitting he'd been lying about his sobriety.

"I want to live a sober life, I don't want to die," Tyson (seen above in photo, after main event Friday, with boxers Arash Usmanee and Argenis Mendez, right) said. "I'm on the verge of dying because I'm a vicious alcoholic and I've been, um, wow ... this is some interesting stuff, I've been, um ... I haven't drank or took drugs in six days," he said, voice on the verge of cracking, as he held up six fingers for emphasis. "And for me, that's a miracle. I've been lying to everyone thinking I'm sober, but I'm not. This is my sixth day. I'm never gonna use again," he said, his voice cracking more.

I reached out to a publicist for Tyson, requesting an interview, to try and learn some specifics about his relapse. The spokesperson said he wasn't doing interviews at this time, and offered this statement:

"Mr. Tyson is like any other human being suffering from the disease of addiction. It is vastly accepted that relapse is a part of recovery. There is no cure for this disease, only a daily reprieve. Unfortunately Mike has made some mistakes recently but fortunately he now recognizes them and is willing to fight his way back to the road of recovery."

Follow Woods on Twitter.

Danggit! I'm hoping that Mike doesn't set himself on fire after one of those cocaine binges. I know so many people who have done that, including the late, great funny man Richard Pryor, one of my god uncles.

Best of luck to the Iron One, and nice short copy, Editor Mike! Holla!

this isnt going to end well for tyson,

thats unfortunate...

Tyson doesn't need to fight his battle for sobriety in the press.... he'd still here after using 6 days ago...he should just work his program and save the material for his next show... not interested in hearing the details of one mans addiction when there are millions fighting the same fight. Hope he makes it but like boxing ...battling addiction is an individual sport but its not fought in public places... Tyson knows what he has to do.. that's why he fessed up...but I feel he needed to keep that info within his team....a user is subject to backslide a hundred times before he eventually overcomes.

leon30001 says:

All the best to Mike.

But...it's NOT a disease! It is a BEHAVIOUR. What disease requires you to perform motoric activity in order that it is perpetuated? Again, NOT a disease (but nonetheless a difficult bind to be in, to have incentivised something so deleterious to one's health).

Ultimately, though, it's down to the individual to stop performing those motor actions, no-one else! I know, because I did it...albeit with cigarettes. And had I thought "oh I'm addicted, I have a disease!" I'd probably still be smoking today. It's a victim mentality, and there ain't nutin' worse than being a little ol' victim. Nothing! The 12-step "disease" baloney is very disempowering (imo).

bigstinkybug says:

[COLOR="#800000">

All the best to Mike.

*really... that's how ur going to come at Mike. u think u quitting cigarrets is the same thing Mike has? he has a disease of the mind which causes u to find an outlet...many people drink,smoke,drugs... if u've beaten smoking, great..but don't knock someone else trying to clean their life up. I suffer from PTSD from the war..and every now and again I want to just **** someone up for looking at me the wrong way... but I don't. I wake up EVRY night twice , look around thinking someone's in the room..i have a loaded 357 magnum by my nightstand,just in case there is someone there... and it's right on top, not in a drawer.. that ****'s not normal, but I deal with it... that's a disease of the fuken mind... Mike has been **** on a lot of his life... his daughter died horribly, the governments up his ***... the guys trying... U HAVE NO IDEA...if u go off, u go smoke a cigarret..big deal.. if Mike goes off, he might kill someone... the guy is trying to be a better man... and ur knocking him for it. get a life.

Wow! One WORD to Bigstinkybug: PREACH! And ur nother [sic] word: TEACH!

L-thirty-thousand-and-one, BSB is telling it like it is. PTSD ain't easy. God Bless those who have to real with it. Holla!

leon30001 says:

Think you've had a failure of logic there, fella. Go back and read my post (if you can be bothered, wouldn't blame you if you can't) and tell me precisely where I knocked Mike. That's right, I didn't. I love Mike. Also, isn't this article about Mike's drinking? Didn't see anything about PTSD in there. Finally, nicotine is one of the most addictive substances on Earth. I was "knocking" the conceptualisation of any behaviour as a disease, which it patently isn't and never could be. That's a biological fact.

leon30001 says:

Just had a pang of conscience...apologies if you thought I was belittling Mike or people like Mike...not the case, my friend. Not at all! As I say, I love Mike. So...can't we all just...get along?!

All the best to Mike.

I love you! Victim mentality gets you nowhere! With that said, I don't think Tyson feels like a victim. If you notice, this disease spin comes from the publicist. And 90% of people believe this junk. And who are Mike's consumers? Exactly.

He's a brutally honest man who lives his life naked before people. That takes BALLS! If anyone can beat it, it's him. He's defied odds all his life.

The Shadow says:

With that said, cigarettes and alcohol are two different animals. I don't know addiction because I've never smoked or tried any drugs. But I have seen obesity up close and personal. Alcoholism, too.

Discipline can cure it. But only a small percentage of the population has that sort of maniacal discipline it takes.

Mike Tyson doesn't make excuses. He keeps it real.

It's a lot easier to get over than it sounds. But it can be done. Feeling like a victim isn't the way. Being honest with oneself is.

And I have never seen no more honest man than Iron Mike.

Mike will knock it out in vicious fashion.

mike carries more hate and disgust for himself than anyone i have ever seen..

there are true demons there, and i feel for him..

maybe that is an illness in itself,

one who continues to hate himself continues to destroy himself.

hopkins works so hard and appreciates all he puts into his training and diet and resting that he wont even

touch a piece of cheesecake for months or years......

then you have tyson who does all he can to destroy himself..

its a fuching shame....

sadly, there are teenagers and children with these same issues..

i wish mike the best, but his outcome will be a sad one i fear

The Shadow says:

I believe in Iron Mike! He has self hatred but he has discipline also. And a tremendous support system.

Here's the deal. I think Mike's biggest enemy is exactly what you said, Half Man-Half Amayseng: Low self-esteem.

And to Tyson, it seems, the equation reads low self esteem + success = cognitive dissonance. (In short, when reality conflicts with values, ideas or beliefs, a person experiences discomfort, ie CD. Said person then seeks to reduce the discomfort by altering external reality to fit his/her belief system. In other words, you f--- up when things are going well for no apparent logical reason.)

Based on my experience as research psycho - albeit a crappy, short-tenured one - I think Iron Mike has a hard time coping with himself with when things go well for him. When his poor self-perception is incongruent with his successful external reality, the man subconsciously does things to bring his reality closer to how he feels about himself.

How else can he rise from the abyss to the top so many times?? And f--- up equally as many times? And then come back again! This has been the story of this guy's life.

Back in the Catskills, this dude used to mess up on the regular. He'd win a tournament, then go back to Brooklyn and rob people and flirt with death.

Survive suicide attempts, beat the best available guy by KO1.

Cut corners in training, beat a guy on intimidation alone.

Go to prison, become champ in a year as a shot fighter.

You guys can probably point out hundreds more examples of this pattern.

The guy is a super human specimen when it comes to physical prowess, athletic gifts, IQ (believe it or not), discipline, work ethic and character (again, believe it or not).

But his self-hatred might just be even bigger. Which causes him not to appreciate his incredible talents.

Seriously, I wouldn't be shocked if this dude f's around, carves out a successful niche and becomes one of the most prominent promoters by accident.

Quite the enigma, that guy. But I'm focking rooting for him.

@The shadow, nicely put, and i agree..

its like no matter what, tyson gives himself no credit at all, not even for past accomplishments....

i think he is trying hard, and its a daily fight, and i know he is successful in it or he wouldnt be here at all...

i hope at some point, and he could already be, but if he could spend some time near daily helping children

then i know he can make some progress....there is nothing i can think of as rewarding as helping children in

need. especially for Mike, who was a child in need himself...

maybe that could be added to his daily or weekly rehab.

The Shadow says:

@The shadow, nicely put, and i agree..

need. especially for Mike, who was a child in need himself...

maybe that could be added to his daily or weekly rehab.

He does that already, bro! His Mike Tyson Cares foundation is devoted to just that. Good point, I never thought of it that way. I think that work has done and will continue to do wonders for him.

Matthew says:

It was nice to see Tyson make an attempt to patch things up with Teddy Atlas on Friday night. I'm still amazed that they hadn't spoken (at least in passing) in nearly 30 years. While I don't think Atlas will have Tyson over for dinner anytime soon (and if you know the story, you can understand why), at least Teddy gave Mike credit for coming up to him like a man. If Tyson is really serious this time about his sobriety, I am curious to see if he will ever admit to raping Desiree Washington. So far he hasn't, at least not publicly. I followed Tyson's career closely when I was young (what boxing fan that grew up in the 80s didn't?), and although I wasn't a fan of his, I found him captivating to watch. I sincerely hope he's able to make his sobriety stick this time around.

WOW! Maybe you should get uncurious. Mike Tyson got laid and he paid. Then Desiree Washington got stank-ho remorse. And wanted to beat Iron Mike down like a horse. He's been a bad boy. For her, he was a five-minute joy. She wanted that joy to go far, but Iron Mike had his limo driver to take her back to her hotel in that shinny car. She was upset. And made up her mind that in trouble, Iron Mike's arse she was going to get. She DID! Thus, for too long the truth has hid [sic]. Holla!

Matthew says:

Maybe that's the way it went down, maybe it isn't. Only two people really know for sure. I still can't figure out why the hell Don King hired a tax attorney to represent Tyson in a criminal rape trial. It seems to me that a qualified criminal defense attorney would have raised more than enough reasonable doubt to get an acquittal.

I agree! But it was so obvious that the girl was a stank-ho, so to trial most people thought that the case would not even go. Iron Mike should've just paid her off.

Crooky Don King got a tax attorney because the attorney was in debt to DK and a bookie and thought that everything would be okay. But that it how the crow syets. And everybodee and dey momma knew Iron Mike like the girls back then with da big t***ies. Hahaha!

Trust ME! It is more than two people, who really know for sure. Groupie jive goes on in this lane of sleaze and biz. Holla!

The Shadow says:

Mike didn't rape that girl. He gave her Hamma Tyme and that was that. Think about it. These beauty pageant chicks participate in these contests for the same thing: fame. Glory. Notoriety. It damn sure ain't for the love of the game!

Come on...These chicks do this, hoping to eventually get noticed by some hotshot athlete that will knock them up and give them access to the good life.

And remember! This same chick cried rape wolf before. Lil Miss Black Rhode Island didn't want daddy to know that his little precious baby had gotten the PENETRATION from another bloke around the way so she decided to play the rape card.

Wasn't no damn raping going on. Mike is like The Shadow: once he skeets, he retreats. Ha! JK. No, for real. Toot n boot, hump n dump, etc etc.

Women are vindictive when you cross them. They just got it in them. To be honest, they scare the hell out of me.

Even Paulie's chick Jessica -- who likewise thirsts for fame -- tried to con the Magic Man that his Magic Wand led to a bun in the oven.

False alarm. Paulie gets mad, dumps her.

Next thing you know, she's with Broner. She knows she's getting played but she doesn't care. She's getting her 15 minutes AND she's getting back at Paulie.

yup, they did another investigation and there was no rape..

thats why mike harbors a lot of pain and anger, 3 years of his life stolen from him, prime years,

boxing, money all of it gone.....he even lost God over the rape case....

wonder if Desiree will go to hell for maybe ruining a mans life with her dishonesty?

thats my question

Bernie Campbell says:

Good acknowledgement at the end Mr. Woods! But Why draw attention to it! Hes not breaking the law at the moment! If he wants to furlough from his Program and down a shot of Jack for medicinal purposes that's his business! Mike Tyson remains one of the most honest individuals in his emotions in all of Sports! He doesn't have to account to you, me, or the friggun Pope at this point! He has been extremely productive in his work lately, I didn't see Teddy be in a hurry to slap 5 like Mike! He appears to have a very supportive woman on his side! Why do people want to break his ba---! What do the publicists and the media want to mold this frisco into! You know, there is no scientific proof, if Mike strays, that the world is coming to an end! Recovery is custom made by God! The current lesson plan is primarily psychological, fueled by Taboo and forbidden fruit! Society as a whole creates these supersticious barriers, Its almost putting a premium nowadays on All detergent! You get dirty, you clean up! That's it! I do take issue with the simpleton look he sports with that freggun tattoo hes got on his mug! What politician imposed their will with that message?

kidcanvas says:

im with leon on this, they make every thing a disease . its behavior..he isnt going to change till its worse to keep doing it . been there ... of course all the best to the Champ..

bcamp that reminds me

i forgot to ask, wonder why mike has not gotten that tattoo removed yet?

brownbomber says:

@radam

I still don't think mike raped Desiree. Who do you think was a better hw all time, mike or evander, and do u think mike would have beat evander if cus never died

The chemistry of relationship is always important. Nobody would've beat Mike Tyson until he was 40 years old if Cus would've have lived. Nobody would've beat Mike until 35 years old if Mike would've stayed being trained by Kevin Rooney.

Because of all da syet, the crooks and the lowlives around Mike, Evander was the better heavyweight king. Holla!

Matthew says:

I think Holyfield would have beaten Tyson, prime or no prime, regardless of who was in Tyson's corner. Some guys just have your number, just like Ali would have always had Liston's number. Holyfield had the strength, smarts, and intestinal fortitude to whip Tyson, even if the fight took place in 1987. The fight would have been more competitive if Rooney were in the corner, but Holyfield would have won anyway.

Like I said chemistry, Matthew. It affects every darn thing. Whenever Cus was in the gym, Iron Mike would beat da hebejeebeez outta Holy in every single sparring session. Back in the day, the powers that be didn't like Cus in the gym, because Mike become a hurting monster. Holla at anybody in boxing on the chemistry effect. It is the most powerful syet. Holla!

BTW, it is a story of chemistry of why GOAT Ali beat Night Train Liston, the late, great Smokin Joe Frazier, Big George Foreman and Ken Norton. There is something to this and that that exist. Michael Jordon had special drawers. Every great athlete and entertainer has a weird magic-like thing going on. Holla!

The Shadow says:

Don't forget, Evan Fields was on "dat syet" as well!! One of the Foremans told me it was common knowledge in the business.

The Shadow says:

Wow! Interesting stuff! Who would get mad when Cus was around? You think he would've beat Lennox, too? I think Mike's entire self-image was tied into that guy. Holy moly.

[See, going into the 1984 O-Games, nobody but then Canadian Lennox Lewis -- who eventually lost to Tyrell Biggs in the 84 O-Games -- would spar with da Iron one. The O-Games wuzzy trainers and coaches came close to kicking "Country-boy" Holy off the team for sparring with Mike. See, in a couple of sparring sessions the Iron once KAYOED Tyrell Biggs and some other weak-arse heavy I can remember right now. Politics are a BYTCH and douche bag in every aspect of seedy-arse boxing. See Bob "Cough Syrup" -- the head he-bytch/double-douche bag of U.S. Amateur Boxing during that time and day -- had some personal syet going on with Cus and didn't want Iron Mike on the 84 O-Games team from the jump. Ask those in da know. They will tell you so.]

I checked it out. It is typical after-that -time propaganda. I was a fly-on-the-wall kid at that camp. There was no pool-stick syet between Iron and Holy. They were cool and both on the second team/challenger team. The first-team member that Holy had to fight was Ricky "Tricky" Womack. Iron Mike had to fight a thug outta South Central L.A. name Henry Tillman. Again, Bob Sercan [name deliverly misspelled for legal purposes.] was running syet and hook-and-crook was not letting Cus' adopted son on that 1984 U.S. O-Team.

Talking about a conspiracy in sports, Bob Cough Syrup did in Cus and Iron. And y'all know me. I will call a spade a spade, and I buy bold and I got bling-BLING! And I'm down with O-P-P! Hehehe! Holla!

I figured it was junk.

There's so much junk in media. One time when I was running a magazine, I had to cover an award show. I missed the main performance because I got stuck "interviewing" a hot spectator in a room.

I had a deadline. The copy was pure fabrication of the human mind, complete with harmless, but sensationalized, fictitious descriptions of the spectacle of the crowd during their performance.

So I do not doubt that the article is junk. So did Mike really tap dance on Evan? And did y'all sign confidentiality agreements?? It's like the damn government in there.

I did see Mike fight Tillman, both fights are on youtube. He knocked him down but lost on points.

And what in the world is O-P-P?? LOL

C'mon, some of my peeps from the Hip-Hop Nation! Holla at the Shadow what O-P-P is. Y'all know me. Hehehe! Holla!

The Shadow says:

Oh, you like THAT kind of O-P-P?? Hahahaha, thought it was some sort of esoteric boxing term LOL

You are correct...it stands for Other-Peoples-Pugilists.. at term coined by da Bob father himself.

dino da vinci says:

[QUOTE=Radam G;35511]He did beat Lennox when Cus was around during Lennox's and Mike's sparring session in Catskill, NY.

[See, going into the 1984 O-Games, nobody but then Canadian Lennox Lewis -- who eventually lost to Tyrell Biggs in the 84 O-Games -- would spar with da Iron one. The O-Games wuzzy trainers and coaches came close to kicking "Country-boy" Holy off the team for sparring with Mike. See, in a couple of sparring sessions the Iron One once KAYOED Tyrell Biggs and some other weak-arse heavy I can remember right now. Politics are a BYTCH and douche bag in every aspect of seedy-arse boxing. See Bob "Cough Syrup" -- the head he-bytch/double-douche bag of U.S. Amateur Boxing during that time and day -- had some personal syet going on with Cus and didn't want Iron Mike on the 84 O-Games team from the jump. Ask those in da know. They will tell you so.]

This is why the powers and chumps that be didn't dig Cus being around when Iron Mike got funky. Because outta ev'bodee and dey momma, Mike was going to beat da syet, da bytch and da monkey. Don't take my word, just ask anybody who was around about how Iron Mike would cause a whup-arse tragic because around would be da Cus D'Amato's magic. Holla![/QUOTE]

I hate to slam boxing, but you'd be hard pressed to find more weasels and squirrels that exist in any other entity on planet earth than amateur boxing. Scary, no?

Hahahaha! You are CRAZEEEE! C'mon, ddv! Slamming is better than hamming. Holla!

Carmine Cas says:

Great posts by all, Mike is taking the right path by helping kids but he should also be helping himself if isn't already. Mendez' face in the picture is hilarious

im aware mike has some things in line to help kids...

what i meant prior is that he needs first hand time with these kids...

face to face...

then on a personal level he can achieve some gratification and maybe some peace

C'mon, B-Sug! That is for "Other Pugilists' Purses," coined by Buckeye State's one and only Don King. Dude was a master of dipping in the purses and pockets of pugilists. But you know I beat him in court, got his partner IBF founder Bob Lee thrown in jail, destroyed the original WBF, won tons of money suing A-holes in the amateurs and pros.

And my main O-P-P with Don was "Other People Pleasures." I told y'all how Don once fought me in Korea under the name "Lil' Kim Ho," and pay me correctly and righteously. He broke me off nicely. And Big Poppa wasn't mad at me for gettin' with his bonnie, besides he was cheating with three Asian whores.

But I ain't gonna ____ ______ and tell on Lil' Kim. I'm a gent. Besides, she will kick my arse, and then my wifey will, even though I was a single d¡©K then. Hehehe! But he-whoring ain't bad. When I go to Helldom, I'm gonna kick Satan's kick arse, take his pitch folks and holla at his snake-haired wifey. Hahaha! Even she needs a ____. Hehe! I like women with wings on the arse, so I'm probably a sinner banned from Heaven. Holla!

The Shadow says:

Random aside: I just got off Skype with some +66 Pinoy tech geniuses! These guys are saving me THOUSANDS of bucks because they cracked a software and now we will do insane amounts of business while I moonlight as media! NICE! Gotta love it!

My O-P-P is Otherworldly Phenomenal Pinoys hahahaha....

In as vague terms as you can mention, what was the WBF-lawsuit about? And did you come through the US amateur fighting system??

C'mon! The Shadow, you are seriously shadowing me. Hehehehe! You know that the game is crooked. A fella [sic] named Bash Ali hit the final nail on the coffin of the sick-arse, corrupted-arse original WBF -- World Boxing Federation -- but I started it because of getting ripped out of money and benefit by it. [Nobody smooth criminal da ____ _____ Radam G. Hehehehe!] And I kicked that arse so legally money hard that it had to come back as the "World Boxing Foundation."

Nowadays there are two WBFs: the "World Boxing Foundation" -- WBF; and the "World Boxing Federation" -- W.B.Fed. And YES, of course, I came through the U.S. amateur fighting system -- from age 5 to 15. Of course -- like all standout boxers -- my age was often put up and my name was misspelled by one or two letters, so that I could avoid getting kicked out of super-elite competition for underageness, though those "weasels and squirrels" that Dino spitted about, send me packing a few times because of politics and corruption. Holla!

You know I am, bro!

Damn! World Boxing Foundation?? That cracked me UP!

Actually, when I went to see the Danish Pastry Brian Nielsen meet with Evan Fields, the title at stake was the coveted WBF belt -- the very same belt that eluded the legendary Sherman Williams and his famed Konch [kong] punch.

Speaking of weasels, squirrels and seedy corruption, I just discovered how the US government is run like the mafia. How Halliburton, Cheney and W sat in a board room in 98 with other oil dons, er, executives and planned their foreign expansion of their "business operations" into the state-owned oil reserves in Iraq -- and pocketed $40 billion in just a year after losing $4 billion the year before. #Seedy

Shortly after that discovery, I saw Georgie Z demanding Florida -- where The Shadow lurks -- give him moolah for legal fees. #Seedy

This guy is asking for trouble. Just like Canelito.

Hehehe! Why do you keep knocking Holy. Some readers are thrown off. They don't have a clue who the slick Evan Fields was. Hehehe! Maybe he was really Simmie Black. Now that dude was on all type of syet and fought under tons of different names. Even of dead fighters. He may be getting ready to fight under Georgie Z-Man's name after the Z-Man bites the bullet. There is a big sign on that dumb@$$'s back. He gets away with murdering a skittles-eating teen, goes speeding through Texas and attending "Don't Mess With Texas" gun shows and thinks that no Tex is gonna Billy The kid him or Prez John F. Kennedy him. Wow!

I'm going to holla at some seedy bookies and see what are the odds that Z-Man will catch a bullet, stab or beat to death before the year is out/or before the summer of 2014. Dude is trying to commit a form of suicide by proxy. Holla!

zimmerman has Stupid written all over him..

The Shadow says:

LOL I googled Simmie Black. Ah, how we love the jobbers of boxing. And they always fake their records when local promoters bring them in. Found this article: [url]http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/sport/archives/2003/06/29/2003057413/2

Yes, give me those Z-odds! I'm ready to throw some money at it. I don't know if he's stupid or just megalomaniacal. But he seems awfully bold for those moves he's been making lately. You'd think this dude would just lay low for five years, write a memoir and make some bread.

He's gonna get got.