Soto Karass Gets Upset KO Win Over Andre Berto

BY Michael Woods ON July 27, 2013

1m2gGToQmsRDDFHQJwNg7VdGH3fIfac9Nuehl yiPcYAndre Berto looked to reinject some energy into his career on Saturday night at the AT&T Center in San Antonio, Texas, on Showtime. He took on Mexican ex-journeyman turned contender Jesus Soto Karass in a welterweight scrap, and impressed with his gutty effort after hurting his right shoulder in the fourth. Berto, working mostly one-handed from then on, knocked down Soto Karass in the 11th, and it looked like that re-injection would be summoned, perhaps, in stunning fashion. But in round 12, down went Berto. A left hook, short, landed on the chin. Berto beat the count, but was on jelly legs, and the ref halted the event. The winner slipped a jab, dipped right, and came up ripping the left hook.

The time of the ending was 48 seconds of the final round and there will be questions attached to Berto, not about his guts, but about his future. Does he have one in boxing?

Berto went 223-608 to 390-1324 for the victor.

The judges saw a split draw, one for Berto, one for the Mexican and one a straight draw, at the time of the stoppage, for the record.

After, Soto Karass (landing a right, in Tom Casino photo, above) was asked by Jim Gray if he thought he needed a KO after he was knocked down. No, he said, he thought it was a low blow. His corner told him to keep working, and he complied. Asked about what adjustments he's made to up his game, SK said he is now totally dedicated to training. The left hook to end it, he said, was what he promised to do, KO Berto. And next for the winner? He said he wants to thank the fans there, and will let Golden Boy plot his course.

Gray spoke to Berto. He said he thought he tore the shoulder out of its socket around the fourth. He thanked the fans in San Antonio and fans around the world. He said of course he elected to continue, as his parents come from Haiti, where life is hard. He noted that his left bicep put off a Ortiz fight, not a right shoulder injury. He looked despondent, and trainer Virgil Hunter tenderly attended to him after the KO.

The Floridian Berto (age 29; 28-2 entering) was 161 on fight night, while the Cali resident SK (30; 27-8-3 entering) was 164.5 pounds. Berto came in losing two of his last three scraps, dropping a UD12 to Victor Ortiz, bouncing back with a W over Selcuk Aydin and then dropping a UD12 to Ghost Guerrero last November. We wondered if a switch from Tony Morgan to Hunter would change his luck?

The vacant NABF welter title was up for grabs.

In the first, SK started fast. A right buzzed Berto and he fought off the ropes. He was outworked in the round, no doubt.

In the second, SK ripped to the body with both hands, while Berto worked the jab more. A counter right buzzed SK at 1:30. Berto's confidence picked up. He came up with right hands a couple times, to good effect.

In the third, Berto's hand speed stood out. He landed clean power shots but ate some, too. A few uppercuts landed on his chin.

In the fourth, a right cross landed on Berto and buzzed him a tiny bit. He stood on the ropes, against his corner's advice.

In the fifth, Paul Malignaggi noticed that Berto's right shoulder might be hurt. He shook it out a few times. He missed a launch and fell to the mat at 1:50. His shoulder was hurt and put off a fight with Victor Ortiz a few years ago. "Be great tonight for me?" Hunter said to Berto on the stool.

In the sixth, Berto mostly used his left. In the seventh, Berto tossed a couple right, and his confidence was back up some. SK's right eye was a bit swollen. In the eighth, it was toe to toe. Berto's right eye was swollen but he could see. SK threw about 130 punches, after throwing 140 the round before. Hard to beat that...In the ninth, the pace was still rigorous.

In the 10th, SK got a break, for a Berto low blow, at the 1:55 mark. Berto was throwing hard, still mostly lefts. "He has nothing left," Hunter told Berto after the round. In the 11th, a left hook to the body put down SK. He said it was a low blow. It wasn't that low, it was on the belt line, replays showed. SK came back, though and landed low and high on Berto, whose mouth hung open, bloody. In the 12th, down went Berto. The ref halted it.

SouthPaul says:

Definitely a very good day for boxing (but lmfao@ the main event star only fighting 6 rounds. Kinda lame). Virgil Hunter did a poor job tonight (i ain't complaining cause it was exciting/ interesting to watch). He should've saved Berto from himself. Not only does Berto have too much heart for his own health but he's not very smart (ring wise). Dramatic end but not entirely shocking considering Soto was tagging him with clean shots from the onset. Berto once again trying to use shoulder roll (few glimpses of it anyhow) looking like a fighter with a serious identity crises. Until he finds himself I'll refer to him as the Rectangular Retard (he was squared up multiple times with a look of durrrrrrrrr, who am I ? Totally looked confused and lost!).

Alot to take in watching this quality fight. Two men enter. One, musclebound as hell. The other, lean and lanky. In the old days I was told boxers were not supposed to be all bulked up with muscles everywhere. They were slow and tended to tire faster. You always had to watch out for the tall thin guys. They looked like pushovers but most of the time could really crack. Long lean fast twitch muscles. Throwing punches that would get there first. Tonight we have journeyman Soto Karass landing first vs bulked up Berto. It looked to me like JSK might get Berto out very early. He kept landing flush shots. Then Berto hurts his shoulder. It looked like he may quit. Come on Berto? Where is the heart, I'm thinking. Berto doesn't quit, he digs deep and makes a fight out of it. Rounds are going by, I'm now thinking JSK might be letting this slip away, blowing a future big payday for his family that is cheering at ringside. 12th round. Berto goes down hard off a left hook. Gets up at 4 or 5 and the ref stops it. I'm glad for JSK because I'm sure the fight was probably closer on the judges cards than it should be. At the same time I feel bad for Berto because he didn't quit. He gave his all and it wasn't enough. Berto's time at the top is over. He kept saying in the post fight interview that he at least deserved an eight count. I agree he did deserve that eight count. He was done anyway but you never know, his heart was in the fight. The brutal human drama of boxing.

Grimm says:

Thanks, Roast - good resumé, made me feel like I actually saw the fight.

dino da vinci says:

Thanks, Roast - good resumé, made me feel like I actually saw the fight.

Agree. Great recap da Roast. I completely spaced the fight. I've been reading and watching all I can about Detroit. Way beyond interesting.

Anybody on this site from the Motor City?

Also, hats off to the gladiators who give their best every time out.

I posted under the other thread about Berto how he has ruined his body and CNS from steroids. Muscle become to strong and provide too much torque for ligaments and tendons and these type of injuries occur.
Also did anyone notice in the first round how berto got easily buzzed from a short uppercut? His coordination before that seems off or different. Sure he is fast and his shots are frightening to watch but they are all show at this point.
I seriously think something could be wrong within the cerebellum.
Each fight that passes his foot coordination seems worse an worse. He's 30 not 40.
I don't know how a boxer can be so jacked up. How much is this guy lifting? I still think he's on peds for the above mentioned reasons.
Great night of fights.

Good call. Berto didn't move at all. He spread his legs wide and became a counter punching heavy bag. What kind of camp did hunter run? Hunter should have had Berto going side to side around the ring 45 minutes a day before doing anything else. Berto is damaged goods at the top. He might get thrown to the young guns and get cashed out soon.

How about an agility ladder?
Or some lateral foot work drills?
I don't get it.
Either way something is up.
I think the guy has been juicing too long.

Excellent comments Roast...in fact all the posts are on point..so much so I barely can say a word without repeating what's already been said.

I agree with Amaseng that Hunter should have saved his fighter from himself..watching Berto doing an imitation of John Wayne in a saloon fight is entertaining but its not boxing... Berto has a number of issues... no elasticity in his muscles...as soon as he applies a little torque to his punches something snaps....if he wants to come into the ring looking like a bodybuilder he should move up a weight class. .....Also little movement and less trading would have created a totally different fight... somewhere along the line Berto has regressed back to the face fighting slugger style of his amateur days...all criticism aside it was an amazing and entertaining effort by both combatants. I will probably save this card on disk.

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

I predicted that the Berto/Hunter combination would be too much for the one dimensional Soto Karass, but was terribly wrong. This was the best Soto Karass I have ever seen. He boxed on the outside and inside, mixing up his attacks well. Berto is shot and those that truly have his best interest at heart should advise him to retire. The game is unfriendly to those that stay past their peak.

I think if Berto had Emanuel Steward and the real mentality to learn how to box and not just use speed and athleticism like he has relies on for years then he could go on and make a decent comeback. Of course this can't happen. But a trainer on the realm of Steward.
However, I think he needs a brain scan I'm honestly concerned something is wrong.
His coordination is terribly off.

Berto did show great heart though.
He was ripping some fantastic left hooks and came back a bit.
He just has no defense and that's why I predicted a JSK stoppage.

The Good Doctor says:

Boxing can be a cruel game. Four short years ago, Berto put on a performance for the ages against a decent Juan Urango. He looked as if he was the next big thing. There were even some mumbles that he could challenge the Cotto's, Mayweather's, Pac's and other hitters in the 147 division. He looked so fast, had decent defense and feet. Now a positive roid test, a tragedy in his native land and a handful of fights later we are asking legitimately is this guy done.

Berto is finished. His next move will be a move to 154. He'll say he had trouble making 147. One or two more paydays, KOed by a young prospect or two and its over. This is how it goes. This is how it ALWAYS goes. Nobody wanted to see it happen to Meldrick Taylor but it did. It goes on and on. Its a brutal sport. There's always so much on the line. That's why we can't take our eyes off it. Wonderful and horrible all at the same time.

Danggit! You dudes have straight-up thrown Berto under the bus. WTF! Dude fought with an injury, and still was in the fight. That Texas ref gave him da job. Fudging Texan ref don't even know how to give an eight count.

My prediction is that Berto comes back as a light middleweight and find success without the roids and PEDs in him. His body was probably go through withdrawal symptoms from so many years of being on dat syet. Trainer Virgil Hunter will clean him up, get him healthy and back in dat squared jungle whuppin' arse. Expect for that to happen. Trainer Hunter is on da hunt.

Berto will be back in the ring in December or January I predict. And he will get back on the winning track. Holla!

Carmine Cas says:

I seriously think something could be wrong within the cerebellum.
Great night of fights.

Excellent point, Berto definitely has been digressing fundamentally and relies too much on his physical talents alone. I didn't even know he was 5'6, thought he was at least 5'8. I think he could have some success at 154 if he gets his fundamentals right, and utilizes his speed for defense and head movement. I still have faith in Virgil Hunter as a very good trainer. But great points all around

Carmine Cas says:

I was actually surprised with Soto Karass, he impressed me as he stayed discipline and boxed from the outside. I thought he was going to give up his long reach and fight on the inside the whole night

DaveB says:

Radam B, I mean G, you never fail to surprise me. I never thought you would be on Berto's side. I have to tip my hat to you and Berto. Dude is a straight up warrior - Courage Under Fire. I would really like to see him come back like you say.

He did for a few rounds and berto used his speed and great left hooks to sway back some rounds. I watched the JSK Madaina fight last week and saw he possessed some good boxing ability and a good overhand right which landed quite a bit and predicted it would on berto who doesn't move his head of feet at all defensively.
To be successful berto needs the most fundamental trainer out there. Who is that?

Dave G -- I mean B -- I'm straight up in tune with "The threatre of the unexpected." And I will always call a spade a spade. That is just the way that I'm made. Hehehe! Holla!

Carmine Cas says:

I don't know off the top of my head, but it was funny watching Virgil Hunter yelling at him lol. Berto doesn't turn his hips to roll off the right hand, good call.

Best Trainer for Berto?.... Berto has already gone over the otherside and there is no coming back. Give him a one-way ticket to the master of Pure Offense and Maximum aggression... Freddy no-Joke Roach!

That may just be the right idea.
Seriously. At 30 years old berto has no head or trunk movement defensively and doesn't even move his feet defensively either.
May as well equip him offensively.
First get him off the roids and out of the weight room.

Berto can't take a punch anymore. He was hurt in the first round and was in trouble a lot of times. It seemed like he could have gone out at any moment. No matter who trains him you can't train a chin. Berto is going down Jermain Taylor boulevard. He can fight clubfighters and maybe win a few but as soon as somebody hits him on the chin he's in trouble.