"I Wouldn't Be Surprised If Pacquiao OR Rios Wins By Knockout"

BY Michael Woods ON July 19, 2013

Pacquiao Grand Arrival 121204 003aPaul Malignaggi has gotten good reviews as an analyst for Showtime. I asked the Brooklyn-bred boxer, who is still licking his wounds from a split decision loss to Adrien Broner on June 22, still thinking in his mind what he might have done differently to sway the judge who gave it to Broner, 115-113, to switch gears and assess one particular fight coming up in the near future.

What will happen in the Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios faceoff, which sees Pacman ( pictured above, in Chris Farina-Top Rank photo) seeking to right his ship, get a much needed win while testing a chin that could be fatally compromised after being checked last December by Juan Manuel Marquez?

"For however long it lasts it should be a good fight," Malignaggi told me. "Both Pacquiao and Rios can knock each other out. Bam Bam can punch pretty hard."

I wondered if Rios and Malignaggi had ever sparred and the answer is no, for the record.

"I do worry a bit about Rios that guys that use their legs against him gets him a little out of his element," he continued. "But I expect an entire camp working on cutting the ring off, using good aggressive footwork, will pay off. Sometimes people think only a guy going backwards needs good footwork. But you need it going forward too. I expect at camp for Rios to get at that. He needs good footwork to come forward against a skilled guy like Manny. Manny goes in and out. Alvarado gave Rios problems with movement and Pacquiao will be a better mover than Alvarado. You don't want Pacquiao to dictate the pace of when he fights, you went to get at him during times when he's looking to rest after a combo, get on him, force the pace.

"A lot of times a boxer wants to choose when to rest, you take that option away, you make him uncomfortable, and when those doubts creep in anything is possible. Bam Bam needs to create those mental doubts in Pacquiao, if not early then midway through the fight."

And who wins the Nov. 23 clash between the 34-year-old Pacman, with the 54-5-2 record, and the 27-year-old Texas native who lives in California, and boasts a 31-1-1 mark?

"I lean a little bit towards Pacquiao," Malignaggi said. "If Pacquiao knocks Rios out I wouldn't be surprised. But I wouldn't be surprised if the fight ended in a knockout for either guy. They are both dynamite punchers who get hit.

Let's go with Pacman, a 55-45% edge to win."

I "go with Pacman," 100-0% edge to win." There will be no more [Hulkquez] hitting the lotto shot against Da Manny. Bam Bam is going to get cut up. He will not be "cutting off the ring." On his noggin and torso, Da Manny's shots will SING! SING! SING! Look that up on Bing. I will be in Macao with my cousins -- the twins -- Ging and Ming. I'm going to even sit my by girl pal Ling-Ling. And on this trip, I will not be able to use ding-a-ling! Hehehehehe!

If I could be the Roast in China, I would be single. Then with all da dames, damsels and dolls, I would be able to mingle. Holla!

Carmine Cas says:

I wouldn't be either, but I think Manny will stop him late. But Paulie makes a good point, Rios should def work on his footwork so is not a predictable straight forward moving target like majority of manny's opponents at welterweight. Regardless, I am excited for this fight

Rios doesn't have footwork for a reason. He cuts too much gains too much an is flat footed and heavy.
Cut the ring off?????
Hahahaha.
There will be no chasing PAC.

PAC will destroy rios, absolutely punish rios for 4 rounds until he is knocked out or stopped.
Don't be surprised of a first round knockdown and ko.

teaser says:

yup....if manny is anywhere near form bam bam will look deformed

brownbomber says:

I just spoke to Robert Garcia for an hour at fnf last Friday...I think to be honest it is going to be a war..I really can't call it but if PAC is near his old form it could be a quick night for bam bam

brownbomber says:

People fail to remember that Pacquiao is a SOLID boxer as well as puncher and brawler. He is patient, and can draw fights out to late stoppages

Bernie Campbell says:

You know, Im not so sure of this fight! Manny supposedly stepped up his observance of his religion big time! Maybe it made him more placid! The knockout was a big one he absorbed not many come back from that! Before the Bradley fight Manny came out with a statement against gay marriage and he refused to retract his statements! He got a lot of heat about that! Add 2 and 2! It was a brave statement because no one else would do it!

kidcanvas says:

this will be a massacre ,rios gets destroyed,made to order for a returning pac..

And Da Manny never "came out with a statement against gay marriage," thus he didn't need to "retract his statements" of anything.

It is a BIG MYTH that not many fighters come back from a devastating knockout. The truth is that the largest percentage of them do. Tons of fighters have done that jive. Some like Terry Norris and Bobby Chacon over and over again.

Fighters that were hypes, spoon-feeds and set-ups from the start are who you are hollering about B-Camp. Just peep at the heavies and you will clearly see: Louis, Walcott, Patterson, Johnson, Tyson, Lewis and Doc K all came back from kayos.

Talking heads and scribes and hating pundits are just selling you syet. Research, learn and know before you crow for yourself. Holla!

Agreed radam.
People act like a knock out leaves your brain dead.

I had a few helmet to helmet concussions in football and came back strong as ever. A week later.
How many pro football players have a concussion here or there and come back and make the pro bowl each year?!

Bernie Campbell says:

Talk your sh... Radam! The only Kayo worse than Manny's I saw was what he did to Hatton! And murder she wrote! The main issue here, and don't side swipe it! Is Manny got robbed ridiculously after his opinion on Gay Marriage with Bradley! Nobody even acknowledged what he said for FEAR of retaliation! Manny Pacman Pacquiao! The Champ is in the house! Check the Archives Friscoe!

Hehehe! B-Camp, you are a comical man. Nuff said! Holla!

teaser says:

manny got knocked out cold earlier in his career against a thai boxer i believe ...he was getting the best of that guy also and got caught ...came back from that pretty well don't you think?

Bernie Campbell says:

And Radam, I bet youd lie through your teeth telling the Pope you got abducted by Aliens! And youd give out biographical promos of yourself to any frisco that would take one!

Hehehehe! I couldn't stand myself for being a sinner. Some Alien dames, damsels and dolls abducted me. They did all types of sexual things to me, and I enjoyed every minute of that Friscoa alien behavior. On, YUP! I told the Pope how the green ones had it going on. And those blues and orange ones loved me long time. Hahaha!

I'm waiting for their hot bytches mothership to holla at me again. Hehe! Holla!

The most disturbing thing about PAC is how Marquez was able to put Pac flat on his back during the f I r s t knockdown of their last fight. I've never seen PAC get tipped over by a punch high on the forehead like that.
Rio will enter the fight almost as heavy as Shane Mosely. Even at lightweight Rios rehydrated to 155lbs.
I can't see Rios' footwork improving because he never really had any to begin with..Rio just strolls toward his opponent. PAC will be happy to engage but really doesn't do a lot of fighting on the inside ... at least not the head-buried-in-the-chest kind.... but at some point Rios will force him to....then we'll see what PAC is made of. Neither fighter can afford to lose...but I have too many questions about PAC to make a prediction .

Carmine Cas says:

The difference between Pacquiao's recent knock out loss and some others, is that Pacquiao was out cold for a few minutes, it was worse than Hatton's knockout. Fatton flat on his back but he had some blinking in his eyes. Yes other great fighters have suffered knockouts and come back stronger, but this was a much more severe knockout. Hopefully he recovers, the time out of the ring should help. I still think he'll beat down Rios but it might not be as easy as people think. But I wouldn't be surprised if Rios wins either

SouthPaul says:

I wasn't too suprised when the sun arose today.

Rios is a nothing but a smaller margacheato ez fight for Pac.

The Good Doctor says:

Agreed radam.
People act like a knock out leaves your brain dead.

I agree with you and Radam. What you often fine is after brutal beatings or knockouts, the skill isn't gone but the will. Several guys remained good fighters after severe tests but you could tell their risk taking and willingness to engage changed greatly. RJJ was still a decent fighter after the Tarver debacle but his heart was gone, Cotto was good after Margacheato and even serviceable after Manny. Juan Diaz looked sharper in his second fight against Marquez but he gave up the mix it up style he often employed. I think when Corrie Sanders rung the bell of Klitchsko it may have been the best thing to ever happen to him. He tweaked his style, began to use his height and jab more and began to throw more combos than just one punch bombs.

jzzy says:

Rios is a chooch and will be stopped by Pacman in the middle rounds.