Matthew Macklin: "Golovkin Is No Floyd Mayweather"

BY Kelsey McCarson ON June 25, 2013

image010Middleweight contender and former two-time world title challenger Matthew "Mack The Knife" Macklin (29-4, 20 KOs) caught up with TSS ahead of his much anticipated world title clash this Saturday against WBA/IBO middleweight titlist Gennady "GGG" Golovkin (26-0, 23 KOs). The bout will be televised live on HBO beginning at 9:45 p.m. ET/PT from the MGM Grand Theater at Foxwoods Resort Casino in Mashantucket, Connecticut.

“Gennady Golovkin is a good fighter,” Macklin told TSS. “He’s been willing to fight other top middleweights, but they haven’t been willing to fight him. I’m willing and ready. I can’t wait for the fight.”

Macklin said he respects Golovkin, but doesn’t believe him to be quite as invincible as he’s made out to be in the boxing press.

“Every fighter can get beat. There have been fighters as hyped, or even more so, than him in the past who have been beaten. No one thought Ricky Hatton would defeat Kostya Tszyu, but it happened.”

Macklin believes he matches up nicely against the hard-punching Golovkin, and will be the first to defeat him.

“Stylistically, he’s strong, he comes forward but he’s not the quickest. He’s got good timing, a good sense of distance, good balance…that kind of thing, but he’s no Floyd Mayweather. He doesn’t have the kind of speed that can be very difficult to deal with.”

That’s not to say Macklin believes Golovkin is a pushover.

“He’s strong and determined. He wants to impose his will, but you know, I’m very strong, too, and I like to impose my will. I’m a very determined man. Something’s got to give.”

According to Macklin, that something will be Golovkin, and after nabbing his title belts, Macklin says he’ll be ready to make intriguing fights versus domestic rivals Andy Lee, Martin Murray and Matthew Barker.

“Yeah, definitely,” said Macklin of potential big money matchups. “I think those fights will happen, and it’d be a lot better if there was a world title on the line when it does. So after Saturday night, when I beat Golovkin, that’s the time to make those fights.”

Macklin has traded words with all three men at one time or another through the media. Most recently, it was with former world title challenger Andy Lee. Still, Macklin told TSS he isn’t looking for a bout against any one particular rival over the others.

“I’ve got nothing personal against any of them. It’s just whatever fight comes up really. Andy Lee was offered the fight a couple of times, and he turned it down. I was due to fight Darren Barker back in 2010, but he had to pull out about 10 days before with an injury. Murray and I…well, we’ve said some things back and forth through the press. We don’t get along too well, but I respect him as a fighter. That could be a good fight if it happens, too. I respect all of them, and whichever fight makes the most sense at the time, that’s the fight I’ll go for.”

Before any of that, of course, Macklin said he expects to win a slugfest over Golovkin. It’s exactly the type of opponent he likes to bang with, he said, someone who will unabashedly trade leather with him in the center of the ring.

“It’s tough going and grueling but you kind of enjoy it in your own little sick way.”

And so should we.

Wow! I cannot wait to see the 3g hype and the "Mack Knife." All their talk is cheap. In boxing love with either one of them, I will not be ready to leap. I know the time, and the kind, and neither is a dime. But I hope to see something from 3g. So many fans, fanfaronades, fanboys and minor experts act as he is the best discovery since hot tea. The biggest, shocking "What DA ******" since HBO 24/7 telecasting Marquez drinking his own toxic, nasty peepee. Holla!

Radam I'm a good judge of talent.

Whether its on the ball field, tennis court or in the ring.

And ggg has talent, skill and the tools to be great.

The question is does he have the mentality and brains to go with it?

Time will tell.

I am 100 percent with you, Amayseng! He is all that. I looked at his last three fights and his sparring sessions with Sugar Shane Mosley and the Big Apple Kid Chocolate. I see that he is a good fighter. But he is no where near all the hype of putting in the group of the ATGs. Holla!

Agreed.

No way even close to an all time great.

PAC, Floyd, Hopkins. Those are all time greats.

Ggg has the physical tools but he'll need a hell of a run and resume to be anywhere near those guys.

I think he will be an A fighter. As for elite no way to know at this point.

stormcentre says:

Ohh this is going to be a good fight.

The perfect opportunity for both guys to display what they have in terms of both strengths and weaknesses.

I can't wait. There will be blood on the canvas with this one.

stormcentre says:

Forgot to say . . . . (and I am not being adversarial here in relation to the above "does he have the mentality to go with it" comments; as I also support those thoughts) GGG can, with his style that (seemingly) invites punches, bring a lot of power and pressure to the table in a way that doesn't necessarily involve the same types of risks that it may otherwise involve.

I'm not saying he can't be hit, because he can, and Macklin will certainly hit him; but so too, Macklin's chin will also be severely tested.

If Macklin understands how 3G's style works and how he delivers power without the (same degree of) risk; he can hold his own and even beat Golovkin. But to do it Macklin will need to not only understand 3G's style, he will need to also work it out and implement the solution in real-time - and before the punch resistance starts to fade.

Personally, I want Macklin to win. But the fight will be awesome.

Carmine Cas says:

I like GGG's demeanor but I want Macklin to win. I want to see someone give GGG angles and not stand in front of him

Stand in front?

Everyone runs for their life

Carmine Cas says:

The key is to not run straight back, pivot, move laterally, change laterally give him different looks to disrupt his tempo

Rosado tried that.

Moving on 3g in any direction is the recipe for suicide. On him, you don't go in front door or back door, and you definitely don't go side to side or through the windows. Dude ain't in the league with any of the ATGs yet. But behind the ears, he ain't still wet.

He will straight up bury you if you try to fit-ness him. You beat him by throwing his timing off and straight-up by B-Hopping him -- hitting and clinching, crowding, trying him up and spinning him, low balling him on the opposite side of the referee, feinting him, tripping him, and just frustrating the heck outta of him by not letting him get a rhythm and become a move opperator.

You take him outta his game, make him lame and he won't have any flame. Then the referee or anybody, he will be looking to blame. But you will have the victory and won't need to pull a bone-headed Broner and shout that you also got his dame. Hehehe! Holla!

Carmine Cas says:

Yes that's a great strategy, Hopkins does utilize lateral movement though especially against Kelly Pavlik and Cloud. But yes clinching, muffling punches, tying him up, banging those hips etc. Good point

Exactly Radam.

If going backward or sideways u are allowing a very good footed

Ggg to use his body weight as momentum through his shots to put more

power into them.

Radam is correct, however there are only a few elite fighters that can implement that plan

successfully as ggg Agility is very good.

Hopkins, Floyd and also Ward.

That's why I only picked ward to heat ggg at mw and smw

kingfor1000yrs says:

This is true Golivkin won't pitter patter and run away or hold all night long. He's coming after you with vicious shots, i have a feeling Macklin will start running once he feels the power, or else he's getting KO'd and busted up

Mack Knife will not "start running once he feels the power." He will return "POWER." "KO'd and busted up," so he will be if 3g is just an iota real -- and I think that he is. Nonetheless, we are dealing with "the threatre of the unexpected," and hardly anything shocks or surprises me. Holla!

stormcentre says:

This is what makes this fight interesting. Macklin is the kind of (tough Irish) guy that won't (shouldn't??) panda to 3G's advantages. He believes he has been in with better competition and that will serve him well.

Golovkin however, is, when trying to predict and interpret him, a bit like Rigo. Sure they're professional experience is limited, but at the same time their amateur experience is so extensive and with such a different array of vastly different styles; that sometimes it is an advantage in more ways than one - particularly being underestimated.

Golovkin too (perhaps like Matthew), will see nothing new either. He has been thumping guys for a long time, and many of them that he flogged in the amateurs went on to become world champions - as you all know.

I really think, that to run with 3G you have to be able to hit him hard and time him; because that is what he does to you. He gets into positions where he can counter hard and committed; whilst minimising risk. And he hits hard.

Not many amateurs knock guys out with reasonable regularity. I think Golovkin did.

And Macklin has his strengths too. He can do what is required, but will his punch resistance and fitness last? Bet is that it will as long as his fitness and defence does.

You could arm Macklin with a mahogany Shillelagh in both hands.... and give him a triple shot of Connemara Cask Strength Pleated Single Malt Whiskey and he still wouldn't know what to do with GGG even if he was bound and gagged in a dark alley...The only question after Macklins' complete and utter destruction this Saturday....spoken in the exuberant voice of a young Samuel Peters will be..... "Who Nexx"!!!!!!!!......Don't look toward Ward Froch or Quillen for a reply because all you'll hear is Crickets chirping in the dark....... But Martinez will take his walk down the last Green Mile like a man because he can't escape his sense of honor.

Well at least he can now since Pirog is out of the picture.

Damn Pirog has same back condition as myself

and I feel for him.

Will he ever return?

Damn Pirog has same back condition as myself

and I feel for him.

Will he ever return?

If he ever does he'll never be what he could have been...what a waste of potential. Let's poor out a shot of Connemar Cask Strength Peated Single Malt Irish Whiskey in honor of the boxers who are no longer able to ply their trade in the ring.

I'm down with the Whiskey it is now my go to drink.

@Deep.....thought you'd appreciate that one.