Why Malignaggi Will Beat Broner

BY David A. Avila ON June 20, 2013

002 Broner IMG 0307Words have been spilled and feelings over-boiled, now it’s time to fight.

Brooklyn’s own Paul “The Magic Man” Malignaggi (32-4, 7 KOs) clashes with Cincinnati’s Adrien “The Problem” Broner (26-0, 22 KOs) on his own New York turf. That’s just one of several advantages the Brooklynite has on Saturday, June 22 at Barclays Center. Showtime will televise.

Broner feels Malignaggi is going to be overwhelmed.

“He's bringing pillows to a fight that I'm throwing bricks, so you should see a lot of blood,” predicts Broner.

Malignaggi defends the WBA welterweight title he took by knockout last year. Don’t expect him to lie down.

When the Brooklyn fighter captured the title in Ukraine, he wasn’t expected to win let alone emerge with a technical knockout.

“They say I have pillow fists but why don’t they walk right through me if I have no power,” said Malignaggi, age 32.

Most people who have never been hit by a professional boxer, or even an amateur, have no idea what it feels like to have their jaw, temple or nose smashed with a solid punch. They simply go to Boxrec and look at the number of knockouts on a fighter’s resume and deduce the winner.

It’s not that simple.

If it were that easy than how do you explain Malignaggi’s success?

The Italian kid with the gift for gab has shown for a couple of decades an ability to use ring intelligence, skill and one thing that can’t be taught…heart.

“You really find out who you are in the ring,” said Malignaggi. “It brings out the truth.”

Many of the world’s best athletes are front-runners. As long as they have the advantages of speed, power and physical strength they cruise along winning championships as if given by birthright. Then comes along someone with stubborn tenacity who refuses to fold and suddenly, the front-runner finds doubt or it finds him.

That’s where Malignaggi fits in. He’s that athlete that does not fold even under overwhelming power or speed. Think Miguel Cotto or Amir Khan. You didn’t see the Brooklyn fighter asking for a doorway to escape. He was still trying to find the hidden lock to the other fighter’s heart.

Now Broner, is not an attack dog. He’s going to be a little more clever about finding a way to break down Malignaggi’s defense. He got a big lesson against Mexico’s Daniel Ponce De Leon a few years back.

Broner was the big favorite in that fight too. Ponce De Leon was forced to fight two weight divisions higher and consented. They met at the Honda Center in Anaheim and many figured the fight would end in a round or two.

Nope. It went the distance. In that fight Ponce De Leon used movement and counter-punching to out-fight Broner over 10 rounds. Most of the media thought Ponce De Leon won the fight but the judges seemingly mailed in their scores a day earlier.

“I under-estimated him,” said Broner, 23, adding that he expected the smaller Mexican to attack.

Ponce De Leon was the last fighter to go the distance with Broner. All of the others attacked and attacked the counter-punching Broner and found themselves on the floor looking up. Don’t expect Malignaggi to serve up a tray of Broner’s favorite dishes. The New Yorker is a pure boxer and has a great chin.

How good is Broner’s chin? That remains to be seen.

Moving up two weight divisions is not an easy thing to do. Ask Sugar Shane Mosley who accomplished the feat but had a very tough inaugural welterweight test against Wilfredo Rivera in 1999. He was knocking out every single lightweight but that was at 135 pounds. Those guys at 147 pounds are made of sturdier stuff and Mosley eked out a technical knockout win.

“He's a little guy and he's going to see how overrated his power was,” says Malignaggi. “I'm not going to tell you that I'm going to sit here and knock him out in one punch, but he's going to feel a lot of punishment Saturday night.”

Spinach Chin says:

Paulie's best win is over....Juan Diaz? Good win but Diaz was not a welterweight and neither is Paulie M. Broner destroys Paulie, busts him up til his corner stops it.

Buzz Murdock says:

lWhy Malgnaggi will beat Broner,,,,Sorry Mr. Avila, you're delusional.

Raiders says:

Easy work for Broner and I won't even give Broner much credit, no one will.

leon30001 says:

Exactly Paulie beat Juan Diaz. That's it. Every other time he's stepped up he's been beaten, easily. I just give him credit for talking convincingly enough that people forget these facts and think he has any kind of shot against Broner.

dino da vinci says:

And Broner's best win? I know his best loss came at the hands of DPDL. He has no 'Cotto' on his resume, or Khan for that matter. Never has a fighter had such positive hype with so little backing it. If I was Floyd, Jr., I'd be fuming. Kid's getting a lot of mileage off the Mayweather name and Mayweather comparisons, without accomplishing anything of note. As for his acting like he's Floyd's kid brother, that's pure fantasy. What in the world would you talk to Adrien about after the first five minutes?

SouthPaul says:

I've always felt that way of Floyd. Once we talked up boxing , once we talked up money...after those two topics ... What else would there be to discuss?

Spinach Chin says:

I'd say Broner's best win is over Antonio Demarco. They both beat legitimate lightweights, but Broner devastated Demarco. I think he'd devastate Diaz too. It's a lot of speculation but watching Broner and watching Paulie it's not hard to see why Broner's a 15-1 favorite. Paulie gets a lot of deserved respect for fighting tough guys, but the truth is he lost all those big fights, took beatings and barely wins most of his other big fights.

dino da vinci says:

Yes, SC, but the fact that he has willingly put himself in harm's way gives him insight into formulating a winnable game plan.

After this fight was announced and the odds posted I started doing my homework. Knowing that the potential exists that I can make ten times on my money has always excited me. No one alive has netted more money wagering on live dogs, as well as modest favorites, than me. However, only recently have I started making value bets. (An e.g. would be Fighter A is 6:1 vs Fighter B. In reality however, he should be north of 8.5:1). My preference, however, is putting up a peanut to win an elephant, not the other way around. Strange things happen in the world of sports. Stranger things happen in one-on-one sports. And then there's Boxing.

I must have looked preoccupied because my wife asks me, "What's wrong?"
I tell her, 'He can't win'.
Who can't win?
Paulie, Paulie can't win.

This of course makes me sad on a whole bunch of levels:

1. I like Malignaggi (and his brother) and would like to see him win.
2. I don't like what Broner stands for, and as a parent of seven, a grandparent, I just scratch my head and wonder, while I'm instilling the highest moral standards on earth in my children, what's everybody else doing?
3. It truly isn't fair (It's actually vulgar) the accent Broner's career has had without having to fight guys that can fight back, or if they can fight actually fight them at the agreed upon weight.
4. Broner has lowered the bar on everything he's touched in the fight game, skill-set aside.
5. That people that are supposed to have a clue are ranking him P-4-P alongside Floyd and Andre. (Money & SOG!!!...that's delusional!) Can Broner fight? Of course he can. A whole bunch. But he has zero career defining wins.
6. And on and on and on...

Granted Paulie doesn't win the head to head match-up in ability. But thankfully, there are numerous aspects that complete the equation. We can discuss them if you'd like, but I'm betting on the Italian. I'm betting on the Magic Man.

dino da vinci says:

Velero softened demarco up.

I felt DeMarco got the break of a lifetime when the gash befell Velero, to only not do anything with it. A part of me believes he wasn't willing to win at all cost.

Deep, you'll get a kick out of this story. My middle daughter is trying to convince me to let her fight. How athletic she is, how she welcomes challenges, welcomes the training. She wants to turn pro. Mind you, she has never laced on gloves, but feels she'd make a great pro. I should also add this was right after meeting WBO Champion Hanna Gabriels, whose likeness has her hawking products from banking solutions to energy drinks from billboards and ads all throughout her native country. I told my daughter I'd teach her so she could defend herself, but I didn't want her fighting. Training begins. We start on a Thursday, and with three sessions behind us, we watch the above mentioned fight together. Valero suffers the gash. I see my daughters eyes go wide. My daughter, like most teenagers, really, really cares about her looks. Topic never came up again.

good stories Dino,

i hope paulie pulls it off.

he needs to win rounds quite convincingly as floyd did the ghost...

get in score points and get out and move, repeat and repeat.

stay away from broners big shots and sit down from time to time with hard thudding straights and hooks to keep him at bay

Carmine Cas says:

Good for you Dino, I agree with Amayseng; just outbox and gain his respect

Carmine Cas says:

Good for you Dino, I agree with Amayseng; just outbox and gain his respect

Carmine Cas says:

Jab the body too

kidcanvas says:

4 rds with the dwarf gavin reis showed how broner will get beat . the dude slapped the crap out of broner he was just to small.. malignaggi by tko

I predict a split decision win for Paulie.

Broner has never fought a legit ww and

Paulie will come in a lean and strong 155.

Broner is used to fighting smaller weaker opponents

and it will show.

This is a guess of course.

This fight is really tough to call.