WHO DO YA LIKE? Marquez or Bradley?

BY The Sweet Science ON June 20, 2013

Bradley Marquez comm shoot  130619 001a

LAS VEGAS, NEV. (June 20, 2013) -- Undefeated World Boxing Organization (WBO) Welterweight Champion and the pride of Palm Springs TIMOTHY "Desert Storm" BRADLEY, JR. will make the biggest defense of his world title when he faces Méxican icon and four-division world champion JUAN MANUEL "Dinamita" MARQUÉZ. The only two fighters to defeat Fighter of the Decade Manny Pacquiao in the last seven years, Bradley will be looking to further state his case as one of boxing's elite pound for pound fighters while Márquez attempts to add yet another highlight to his storied career -- becoming the first Méxican fighter to win world titles in five different weight divisions. Both enter this rumble fresh from Fight of the Year caliber performances.

Promoted by Top Rank®, in association with Zanfer Promotions, Wynn Las Vegas, Márquez Boxing, and Tecate, Bradley vs. Márquez will take place Saturday, October 12, at the Thomas & Mack Center, on the campus of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. It will be produced and distributed live by HBO Pay-Per-View, beginning at 9:00 p.m. ET / 6:00 p.m. PT.

Tickets to the Bradley vs. Márquez welterweight championship event, priced at $800, $600, $400, $300, $200, $100 and $50, will go on sale Tomorrow! Friday, June 21, at 3:00 p.m. ET / Noon PT. They can be purchased at the Thomas & Mack Center Box Office, online at UNLVtickets.com, at UNLVtickets Outlet Town Square Las Vegas Concierge, or by calling 702-739-FANS (3267).

"It will be an honor to step in the ring with Márquez, I am looking forward to displaying my skills and giving the fans a competitive fight," said Bradley. "I know that the one thing he and I will have in common, stepping into that ring, is that we're both warriors. Neither one of us will take defeat as an option and with that being said we can say the countdown has officially begun. October 12 will not just be another fight but a memorable fight for not only him and me but for the world of boxing."

"This is a very tough fight. I am facing an undefeated fighter who has something that I want very much, said Márquez. "It is a complicated fight but not impossible to win. I want that fifth world title. Bradley is one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world. I think we have the styles to make a great fight."

"This fight will be a very exciting confrontation between the two best fighters in the world today," said Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum. "Timothy Bradley, the undefeated, reigning world welterweight champion, has always distinguished himself in the ring. Juan Manuel Márquez is the most popular fighter in México and is coming off a sensational win over Manny Pacquiao. Márquez will try with all of his might to win his historic fifth world championship."

“The phenomenal victories registered by both Tim Bradley and Juan Manuel Márquez in their last ring performances makes the October 12 showdown in Las Vegas a fight fan’s dream,” said Mark Taffet, senior vice president, HBO Sports. “Bradley-Márquez is one of the sport’s elite and most highly anticipated matchups of 2013.”

“We are thrilled to work with Top Rank in presenting this highly-anticipated match-up,” said Maurice Wooden, president of Wynn Las Vegas. “This will undoubtedly be an exciting event for both our guests and boxing fans as Juan Manuel Márquez attempts to become the only fighter in México’s boxing history to win world titles in five weight classes by defeating current champion, Timothy Bradley Jr.”

Bradley (30-0, 12 KOs), from Palm Springs, Calif., a two-division world champion trained by Joel Diaz, returns to the ring off two career-best victories. On June 9, 2012 Bradley moved up in weight and won a split decision victory over Pacquiao, ending the defending WBO welterweight champion's title reign and his seven-year winning streak. It was only the fourth professional loss Pacquiao had suffered in a 60-bout career that included world titles in eight different weight divisions. Bradley, 29, won his first world title in 2008, travelling across the pond to dethrone the defending WBC super lightweight champion Junior Witter in the Englishman’s backyard of Nottingham, England. Bradley’s sixth-round knockdown of Witter shocked the hometown crowd as Bradley won a hard-fought split decision. One year later, in his second championship defense, Bradley unified the title by dominating then-WBO champion Kendall Holt. In a career-defining fight, Bradley weathered a first-round knockdown, and showed his trademark heart and determination during the remainder of the match, to win a unanimous decision. Bradley opted to keep the WBO junior welterweight title. Bradley successfully defended that title twice. In August 2009 he dominated former world champion Nate Campbell before an accidental clash of heads near the end of round three led to the fight later being ruled no contest when Campbell could not continue due to a nasty gash over his left eye. Bradley followed that up with a December 2009 schooling of undefeated interim WBO champion Lamont Peterson, which included a third-round knockdown, the first time Peterson had ever hit the canvas in his 27-bout professional career. With no worthy contenders available to defend his title against, Bradley moved up to 147 pounds and won a 12-round unanimous decision over undefeated Top-10 welterweight contender Carlos Abregu on July 17, 2010. Bradley kicked off 2011 by reunifying the welterweight titles with a 10-round shellacking of undefeated WBC super light champion Devon Alexander in January, followed by an eighth-round knockout victory of former world champion Joel Casamayor in November, setting up his date with destiny -- Pacquiao. In his last fight, on March 13, Bradley survived a brutal battle, going toe-to-toe for 12 Hellish rounds, against No. 3-rated contender Ruslan Provodnikov to retain his WBO welterweight title in what many consider Bradley's finest -- and bravest -- fight of his career. With 2013 half over, it is still considered the fight of the year.

Márquez (55-6-1, 40 KOs), of México City, trained by Hall of Famer Ignacio "Nacho" Beristáin, is one of only a rare few fighters from México to have won world titles in four different weight divisions. He captured his first world title -- the vacant International Boxing Federation (IBF) featherweight championship -- with a seventh-round stoppage of three-time featherweight champion Manuel Medina in 2003. He unified that title that same year with a decisive victory over World Boxing Association (WBA) featherweight titlist Derrick Gainer. Márquez successfully defended the titles three times during his three-year reign, which included unanimous decision victories over Victor Polo and Orlando Salido and a Draw with Pacquiao. After losing the crown to Chris John, and winning the interim featherweight crown, both in 2006, Márquez moved up in weight to dethrone the legendary Marco Antonio Barrera and claim his World Boxing Council (WBC) super featherweight championship belt in 2007. After successfully defending the title, by a unanimous decision over Ricky Juarez, he lost the title in his 2008 rematch with Pacquiao by the slimmest of margins -- a one point split decision. Since that fight, Márquez has won seven of his last nine fights, including knockout victories of Joel Casamayor, Juan Diaz, and Michael Katsidis -- the latter two in WBA/WBO lightweight championship fights. Last year he won his fourth world title in as many divisions, capturing the WBO interim junior welterweight title with a dominant 12-round unanimous decision over Sergey Fedchenko. He ended the year with his most satisfying victory, a sixth-round knockout of professional nemesis Pacquiao, which was voted the 2012 Fight of the Year and the 2012 Knockout of the Year.

For fight updates go to www.toprank.com or www.hbo.com/boxing, on Facebook at facebook.com/trboxing, facebook.com/trboxeo or facebook.com/hboboxing and on Twitter at twitter.com/trboxing, twitter.com/trboxeo or twitter.com/hboboxing.

I like a draw just fine. Holla!

This dance may not even happen. Hulkquez is trying to weaser out it. He's expressing distaste for having to be tested by both weak USADA and strong-catching-your @$$ VADA. Plus he wants Big Foot/the Cali Cranium Crusher to sign a contract not to come in more than 10 pounds over the limit the night of the bout.

If BF/CCC has his way, he will bambi bytch Hulkquez and win by wide decision. Hulkquez was turtle slow against Da Manny. When gate sells aren't going too well for this bout, I predict that it will be cancelled. Hulkquez may just have a change of heart and retire, because he is afraid that the falling Angel Heredia will not be able to juice up Marquez, turn and turn him intoHulkquez and sneak it pass Dr. Margaret Goodman and her powerful VADA testing. Holla!

Bradley looks like he put the Juice down and hit the buffet

and hmm looks bored to be there prob because without the juice

he's a tired 40 year old.

I predict a cancelled event someone pulls out a fake injury.

Bradley maybe because he won't be able to get down under 190 pounds.

Ditto, amayseng! We see a possible cancellation. One of these fools should've fought Da Manny for all that BIG MONEY in Macao. Bam Bam Rios is making a mini goldmine. Holla!

Bluestorm says:

High probability of cancellation of fight...marquez' stand is: if bradley insists on stringent drug testing, he will demand that bradley not weigh more than more than ten pounds north of the stipulated weight when they start the dance, because bradley "is the bigger fighter"...demmit..why not ask for bradley to cut off a limb to eliminate bradley's size advantage..bradley's advantage is "God-given", while marquez' advantage is "Angel-given".....an Angel that used to be called Memo...

Raiders says:

If BF/CCC has his way, he will bambi bytch Hulkquez and win by wide decision. Hulkquez was turtle slow against Da Manny. When gate sells aren't going too well for this bout, I predict that it will be cancelled. Hulkquez may just have a change of heart and retire, because he is afraid that the falling Angel Heredia will not be able to juice up Marquez, and turn him intoHulkquez and sneak it pass Dr. Margaret Goodman and her powerful VADA testing. Holla!

Weren't you crying about Floyd claiming Manny was on steroids? I read some stuff you wrote about blacks accusing Filipinos about being on drugs, you are being a total hypocrite.

Don't go idiot on me, Raiders! I never cried about what Money May said about Da Manny, because Money May was gaming bullshyting. And you are super racist SICK when you say that I "wrote about blacks accusing Filipino about being on drugs."

Maybe you have a racist problem of comprehension. FYI, with your jivesyet, a black (American) man gave Da Manny the opportunity to come and fight in the USA.

Don't even bytch go there with that weak racist accusation syet. I have people in my family with darker skin color than your arse. Apparently you are the typical racist who doesn't know syet about Filipinos. Holla your weak syet to somebody else because it is not me hypocriting. You look in the mirror and you'll be eyeballing that person.

I'm not the one for you to be cyberspace beefing with and making up dimwitted syet. Chillax! And put down the pipe, bro! Holla!

dino da vinci says:

Raiders says:

[QUOTE=dino da vinci;32382][I]...when he faces Méxican icon and four-division world champion JUAN MANUEL "Dinamita" MARQUÉZ. The only two fighters to defeat Fighter of the Decade Manny Pacquiao in the last seven years, Bradley will be looking to further state his case as one of boxing's elite pound for pound fighters while Márquez attempts...[/I]

But Bradley didn't defeat Manny. I was in the process of doing the round by round breakdown, which Max Kellerman beat me to. I'll be the first to tell you Max has a tremendous opinion, and Max had Manny winning the fight. That said, I was in the building for that fight and remember thinking Manny looked terrible. Then of course in his very next outing he gets electrocuted in a fight he was in the process of winning. I believe Tim and Manny are at the point where they'll be no better than .500 fighters the rest of the way until the end of their careers. Manny for financial reasons; Tim because in this rarefied air of fighting the best of what's out there, is in the middle of the pack of elite fighters. I like both of them though, so I hope fate is kinder.[/QUOTE]

Carmine Cas says:

[QUOTE=amayseng;32357]Bradley looks like he put the Juice down and hit the buffet

and hmm looks bored to be there prob because without the juice

he's a tired 40 year old.

I predict a cancelled event someone pulls out a fake injury.

Bradley maybe because he won't be able to get down under 190 pounds.[/QUOTE]

Lol Bradley is starting to look like Ricky Fatton, blowing up between fights

Carmine Cas says:

If this fight happens, I got Dinamita winning, but you can't out Bradley

Raiders says:

[QUOTE=Radam G;32395]Like I said, Raiders! You have a reading comprehension problem or you are straight hooding. I know that game. Say some syet that is not truth and hope that it stick. That is hood rolling. You can keep bringing up stuff and you will never find me "Crying how blacks accuse Filipinos of drug use cause we can't beat them." Good try! But I got you. I'm reminded of people pulling up stuff and claiming that I called "black people ugly gorillas." But just like this jive that you pull up, you are making up nonsense.

Read what I SAID! And read what you posted:..."You are crying how blacks accuse Filipinos of drug use [cause we can't beat them,..] Holla![/QUOTE]

It's funny your boy loses and you become what you hate, what you said was clear but now you are hurt than Pacquiao's game ended bad for him

If it is so CLEAR, post it HERE! And let the Universe DECIDE. QUIT looking in the mirror. I'm not there. And you are not me or in me. Quit being a wuzzy _____ _____ _____! I'm a REAL BOXER! Getting KTFO comes with the territory. I "hurt" for nobody. Whatever mental problem that you are having, there is help. Because you cannot fudging read my mind.

You are immaturely posting, because you are the latest controlling ____ _____ crash landing in this Universe. You sound about 13 years old. You don't know syet about me, or in the word of Uncle Roger May: "Sh*t 'bout boksin!'" Get off the milk bottle or tipple, and develop some teeth, and get on da meat.

I'm finish posting to you. Try coming with the truth. It will set you free. Show the Universe, my racist comment. Of course, you cannot. Because you are just another _____ _______ troll making up syet. Holla!

I'm reminded of a lot of fighters who got and robbed and KTFO. Pundits said the same thing about them, but were WRONG! WRONG! And WRONG! Welcome yourself to that WRONG club. Hehehe! Da Manny will be giggling all the way to the bank and at his retirement party in 2015 with up to $150mil made since the bambi Big-Foot robbery and Hulkquez come-from-behind kayo.

Oh BTW! Will somebody tell my latest wuzzy, juvenile, dimwitted stalker that being fighters come by talent and learning the whup-@ss skills, not ethnicities, colors, races, greeds or national origin.

One should be able to see how phony that the wacko is -- to actually believe otherwise. And haters don't bring up B-Hop. He doesn't believe that jive. He was just gaming and jiving and trying to put bull in the seats, while bringing attention to himself. Every pugilist know what is it about -- in the words of Money May -- "Hard work and dedication." The oldtimers used to call it three ds: "Desire, Determination and Discipline."

In the annals of the sweet science, each time some bozo came up with that racist syet about being racially superiority base on ethnicity, race or origin , reality squashed it. No imbecile can fool mother nature or boxing requirements. Race baiting is for ____ _____ and dey _______ _______! And dey are lower than dog ______ and bull ________ and a snake. Holla!

Bluestorm says:

Hey Raiders, the mexican u were talking about is a 39 year-old cheater who was never a one-punch ko artist...while pacman is a give-it-all destroyer...for the 1st time in his career marquez did what NO ONE in the prizefighting world could find believable, that is, a 39 y/o who in a span of months bulked himself up and got a lot of power and deliver a 1punch ko against an opponent with a solid chin...in all their previous fights can u recall a moment when steroids marquez made manny touch the canvass with his gloves? Idiot! It is more believable for manny to ko marquez but for marquez to have done it such as it has been? It raises an eyebrow... be analytical Raiders...there is a very very big difference in claiming that mike tyson was on PEDS than in claiming that paulie malignaggi is natural if he ko's broner with 1punch when they fight...

chicanito says:

Lol bluestorm sounds like another sore filipino or another pacquiao nuthugger like Madam G....pac never could dominate a master boxer in dinamita, forget the last fight where he landed the PERFECT punch..all the other 3 were a masterful display of boxing skills by the mexican warrior..superior boxing skills over pac that is..what are u cun_s crying about?!? U act like pacqiuao dominated marquez in 3 fights and all of the sudden marquez had a comeback in their 4th..marquez made you haters lick his big MEXICAN balls and are now sore over it!..go cry somewhere else! This is the sweet science theater of the unexpected ..its skills that destroyed pacquiao had it been steroids involved between these 2 cats then in that case marquez would of been put to sleep a long time ago by Pac! As for Madam G..u say your a boxer? Lol your a freaking joke man obviously a nobody a rat that never made it out of a local gym a fighter obviously not even worth knwing your name..what pinoy pro came out of the filipines worth knowing before PAC ?!?!

Marquez will dominate Bradley wild swinging a$$.

Bluestorm says:

Chicanito look at urself in the mirror...u will see a "nuthugger"....true marquez has the skill, but not the "kill"....roids aide kill he has...

Bluestorm says:

Chicanito look at urself in the mirror...u will see a "nuthugger"....true marquez has the skill, but not the "kill"....roids aided kill he has...

dino da vinci says:

[QUOTE=Radam G;32413]@Ddv, you are dealing with "the threatre of the unexpected." You may be half right. We will know how totally wrong you are about Da Manny in due time.

Holla at us in P-Islands when that time comes. I'm thinking about sending you are paid-for-everything ticket. Holla![/QUOTE]

Really? Marquez won their last two outing and Manny struggled with Tim Bradley. You don't see a pattern developing here? Michael Jordan doesn't play professional basketball anymore for a reason. Time marches on, Rad.

dino da vinci says:

[QUOTE=Raiders;32389]Not counting robberies isn't realistic, it's used as a tactic to support boxers people like, Sergio fans like to talk about getting robbed vs Williams but they deny his gift vs Murray. Tim's hand was raised he won.[/QUOTE]

Uhhh, no.

If you believe Murray won you must have been listening to the British feed of the fight. That's the one I listened to and it was scary bad.

There's a lady boxing judge/referee in California who happens to be the worst official in the history of sport. The fact that the state commission never removed her from her position speaks to how bad a system exists in the sport at this current time. While she's the single worst I've ever seen, there are many others. I've had the unfortunate experience of talking to judges at length and they say some of the craziest things. I've had judges tell me or someone seated next to me who's winning...before the fight. And while they are right more often than not, you do the math.

I've had fighters tell me they believed they won a fight they've lost. I tell them the judges got it right (and they do sometimes), other times I'll tell them yes, the judges got the right side, but the wrong score, if that's the case. I've had times where I sat the fighter down, (usually while he's in a highly emotional state) and explain, don't be sad, be angry, because you got robbed. I will add that that is much rarer, especially when a fighter did just enough training, and just enough to win.

No. If this is such a great system are you recommending that all other sports adapt this into theirs? To figure out a way to take a winner and make them a loser?

I've had professional fighters say to me 'I felt it should have been a split decision'.

Really?

When I hear stuff like that I hear that one (or two of the judges) should have gotten it wrong. With a comment as crazy as that, what do you hear?

Get READY, NOW! Come go with ME! Reality is da bomb! But a bytch to many. The truth and the whole truth is a coming. And no myths and hopes can stop dat superbad bytch of REALITY!

We'll see how Buffet Bradley look now that he is off the roids and PEDs. And the same with Hulkquez. We will see how he looks without falling Angel Heredia giving him a second puberty. There are REASONS, and BIG ONES for Buffet Bradley and Hulkquez not going to China and dancing with Da Manny for up to seven times the amount of money that they are getting for their shotfest against one another. Hopefully they will fight to a sh*tty draw, because they are both men of bullsyetology and straw. Holla!

BTW, maybe it is something wrong with the water shared between California and Nevada. It has some type of tar-baby effect. Haters, of over a 100 years ago, tar babied the Cali "White Hope" Jim Jeffries into an uncompromising fate of beating "Unforgivable Blackness" Jack Johnson. That was not to be. JJ whup da holy hebejeebeez outta Jeffries while mocking him in the Nevada bout.

Over a year ago, haters did their magic again. They tar babied the Cali "Cranium Crusher" Tim Bradley into an uncompromising fate of beating "Unforgivable Pinoyness" Manny Pacquiao for being too Christain, a mistaken cyberspace news stories about him saying that "Homosexuality is an abomination, and homos should be put to death," and for delaying the Pacquiao-Bradley because Da Manny wanted to warm up after he watched the Miami Heat -- coached by a Pinoy -- win the NBA Championships.

Despite that Da Manny clearly won 11 rounds of the bout, the hating crooks that be gave the frighten-to-fight, damaged-feet-from-bambi-bytching-all-night Bradley a split [GIFT] decision.

Bradley's tar babiness is worst than Jeffries could have ever been. Jeffries quit fighting and went back to farming in Cali. Bradley has continued to fight. Now SHOT, and with the whole world watching him, he LOST again in his last bout against the Serbian Rocky. BUT got a LIFT to pull out a close decision because the referee missed calling two knockdowns. The Serbian Rocky mocked Bradley most of the bout with all types of gestures that Bradley couldn't punch and was bambi-bytch running with those hurting size-13 Bradley doggs. Hehehe!

Now Bradley's career is on a hard, quick downslide. And it could not be saved by an airlift, facelift or breaking Hulkquez's nose since after Hulkquez's hair plugs and noselift. OH,YUP! Hulkquez got some seious plastic-surgery work done on his bush and whole mug. And if you don't believe that, you need a BIG HUG!

Poor Bradley! He just wanted to be a legend. Not like Jeffries -- another tar baby of the beginning of his century because he could not come through for haters.

Life ain't fair. And is also not a hating ____ ____ who has never been there, did that, TALKING syet from the metaphobic armchair. Holla!

SouthPaul says:

I just envisioned Brother Nazeem Richardson trying to instruct this chubby bearded Bradley to swim without getting wet.... all the while looking frustrated knowing he likely is going to not only get wet....but likely be soaked.

Marquez by clear cut decision , maybe possibly late stoppage.

bigstinkybug says:

[COLOR="#B22222">Marquez by Brutal KO.[/COLOR]

bigstinkybug says:

[COLOR="#B22222">[/COLOR][COLOR="#B22222">Manny struggled with Bradley?[/COLOR]

@BSB, if think that is bizarre, another dude said that "Bradley exposed Pacqiuao." OMFG! Holla!

TKO says:

Marquez. Marquez has the wherewithal to avoid a situation where he will get hit cleanly with a headbutt.