Gennady Golovkin Goes Greek in L.A.

BY David A. Avila ON June 19, 2013

image011LOS ANGELES-In the middle of Hollywood’s version of a small village, middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin greeted the press on Tuesday.

IBO and WBA middleweight titleholder Golovkin fights Matt Macklin on Saturday June 29, in MGM Grand Foxwoods Resort and Casino. Before he embarks, he met with two dozen reporters at the Le Petite Greek restaurant in the Hancock Park area.

Critics have derided the Kazakhstani on his choice of opponents. Many claim that only easy and unrecognizable foes have been handpicked to fight Golovkin. His team doesn’t argue about the opposition. They’re as anxious as Golovkin to fight the best.

But first, it’s got to be worth it. Not for Golovkin, for the opponents, says promoter Tom Loeffler.

Not to be a yes man, but Loeffler is right.

How many middleweight contenders out there would fight Golovkin for less than $100,000? The elite middleweights or the fighters with a name are not willing to mix blows with the fighter from Kazakhstan. Not for that kind of money.

“It’s about the budget,” said Loeffler.

Fighters in the upper tier are not willing to tangle with the hardest hitter in the 160-pound weight division unless they are paid well.

“He has 13 consecutive knockouts,” Loeffler said. “He has the highest knockout percentage in boxing.”

HBO will be televising the Golovkin-Macklin fight and have told Team Golovkin that a win would lead him to the next pay scale. That means guys like Sergio Martinez, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and Danny Geale are going to be more eager to sign a contract.

But, first things first.

Macklin is not a pushover. Yes he was stopped by Argentina’s Martinez, but not before knocking down “Maravilla” in round seven when they met. And then Macklin annihilated Joachim Alcine in one round. The Brit is no pushover.

“I respect him as a fighter,” said Golovkin. “He’s very good.”

Golovkin can’t overlook anybody in the boxing ring, not with the big money fights on the horizon just waiting for him to cross the bridge…the budget bridge.

Abel Sanchez, who trains Golovkin, is seemingly more eager than the fighter to show the boxing world just how good his fighter can fight.

“We want naysayers to see what he’s got,” said Sanchez.

In less than two weeks the streaking middleweight gets a crack to show the world.

“I am ready,” he said.

Carmine Cas says:

Let's go Macklin!

All this bullsyetology about 3g has made him a bit manic. He is now wolfing about going up to whup SOG Ward at 168lbs, and then coming down to 154lbs to beat Canelo, and even Money May. YUP! RIGHT! I wonder what drugs are 3g taking? Holla!

3G just wants to fight and fight active and fight top fighters.

Why all the hate?

No hate, MATE! Now I will really seriously label him 3g if he could be about it, instead of talking about it. He has been fighting the same weight division for a whole career. Now he is all a sudden calling B-Hop out at 175lbs. SOG at 168lbs. Everybody out at 160lbs. And now Canelo and Money May at 147lbs. Next he will call out Zab Judah, Lucas Matthysse and Danny Garcia at 140lbs. And then he will start calling out the Filipino Flash and Mikey G at 122lbs and 126bs.

Now you must admit that all his calling out of fighters in so many divisions is a bit manic like. Holla!

It sure is and it can't happen unless he wants to ruin his body physically

I think he is desperate for attention and recognition when alls he

needs to do is continue to win and step up his competition.

Clean out 160 then possibly a fight with ward.

Who would be a good matchup.

But not too soon.

Grimm says:

The only manic-like is your rabid rambling, and your dislike for what you obviously cannot see - or admit. I suspect the latter.

Whatever turns you on, Grimm. Use your iota of brains and not read my "rabid rambling." You are welcoming to put me on your "Ignore list." Troll on, though! You obvious have an OCD to me. I hope that it is relieving whatever pressure in life that you are going through. Just-in-name 3g is a B+ fighter -- maybe -- who's been fighting C and D fighters. And no cyberspace __ ____ ____ can change my opinion. And in the end -- like now 90 percent of the time -- I will be RIGHT. And you will still be a confused troll. Get a life. Holla!

Grimm says:

Whatever turns you on, Grimm. Use your iota of brains and not read my "rabid rambling." You are welcome to put me on your "Ignore list." Troll on, though! You obvious have an OCD to me. I hope that it is relieving whatever pressure in life that you are going through. Just-in-name 3g is a B+ fighter -- maybe -- who's been fighting C and D fighters. And no cyberspace __ ____ ____ can change my opinion. And in the end -- like now 90 percent of the time -- I will be RIGHT. And you will still be a confused troll. Get a life. Holla!

Radam, we all know you get a ---- on when you're in the centre of the ring or cyberspace attention, so lets not pretend otherwise. I rarely have an OCD on anyone, and when I do, it's with real people in the real world - and then I go knockin on their doors, instead of posting on the net.

I would gladly take your advise and ignore you. That's the problem. You pop up everywhere, and you know what - for the most part it's ok, sometimes even funny. I'm sure you're a great guy, and you're obviously knowledgeable. It's just this urge to be heard and seen everywhere, all the time, that turns me off. Like with my kids. I love them, but I can still get tired of them.

I promise, I won't stalk you, think about you day and night, dream about you when I...you know what. I just want less of you, kinda like the ring card girls that are ok - more than ok - as long as they don't take over the show completely. I know I won't get less of you, I know I'll keep getting annoyed, but hey, I'll be okay - cause I got a life, cause I'm not the one constantly online creating punchlines.

You are a textbook whack case with OCD, a personality disorder and a ton of other mental, emotional and social illnesses. Apparently stalking me in cyberspace is giving you release from your illnesses and demons, or you would control your impulsive behavior to stalk me. I remind you of somebody who has kicked your arse, dissed you and dismissed you.

You are a weak, slow-brained sucka who cannot stand up to any real mano-i-mano, so you cyberspace attack and try to control with your "rabid rambling" and child-time, cojonesless personality. Stay on the meds, dude. You couldn't hold my spit bucket. Get some ____ _____. You _____ _ ____. Your arse is such in need of a __-- _____.

What is wrong? You can get none! Get a gun and ____ yourself. Use the TSS Ignore function, dude. Don't be a punk@ss troll. Not syet do you control. Run your sorry-@as life. And quit trying to cause cyberspace strife. I'm not the one that you can bully. Holla!

You cannot afford to be online like me. You don't keyboard or read as fast as I do. And you have to get on our labor work to make ends meet. And to stay outta da debt heat. Nobody do I put down. But I also don't play the clown. Don't hate on me because of your life. I didn't bring you that strife. Enjoy your kids and your wife. That's life. And in the end DEATH! That last breath. Don't waste it seeking to control -- being an internet troll. Holla!

Grimm says:

You're hurt, and reacts in the manner all narcissists react. I know, since I work with damaged goods - kids from dysfunctional families. Still, they don't spit out this kind of rabid rubbish - cause me and my personnel have taught them how to behave with class. Heard the word? C-l-a-s-s.

The thing about your kind is most people - me anyway - would gladly ignore you. You aint worth nearly as much attention as you think and, worse, crave. But you bomb forums with you're every impulse, drawling all over the keyboard as you print you're insults.

Boy, I ought to put you on my lap and spank you til you cried for Manny - not mama - come save your tight litte ---. Til then, see you on another thread, another day.

Wow! You cyberspace self-appointed pseudoshrinks just won't quit. And believe that you are mindreaders. You must have some shallow, hard lives. Well, that it is the way that the ball rolls. Life is a bytch, and itch, and you cannot scratch it, and one day will hit the death pit. Until that day, you got cyberspace for your make believe and bullsyet.

YUP! Your jive hurts me like the homeless bums who tell me that I'm homeless too everytime I jog out of my gated community when I'm in SoCal, USA. Hehehe! Don't wait time make-believing about me. You are like a leaf in the wind. Controlled by it blow and flow. Poor guy! And you are gonna die. Until then, believe your iwn BIG lie. For you, not darn soul will cry. Holla!

Wow! I find it amazing that a Grimmed muthasucka and a Raidering he bytch come after me cyberspace beefing. I guess outta their humdrum, miserable real-time lives, they don't know how to be leaping. Danggit! Not an iota of real-life control, they need to cyberstalk stroll. Hehehe! Whatever saves you from doing too much harm to yourself. I'm laughing my arse off. It takes more than hallucinating cybercrumbs to rattle me. Hehehe! You may beef. But I will metaphorically drown you, and won't leave a funeral reef.

I love this place. You never know what types of whackos that you will encounter in cyberspace. Holla!