To Finish Off Don King, Hopkins Still Has Work To Do

BY Michael Woods ON March 14, 2013

HopkinsCloudPrePC Kane3We heard Bernard Hopkins the weeks before his latest masterpiece--before painting Tavoris Cloud in a corner, and not letting the younger man do anything he wanted at Barclays Center on March 9--tell us that he was looking forward to beating Cloud, and thus ending Don King's business.

Cloud became King's top client as Ricardo Mayorga drifted toward semi retirement and Devon Alexander jumped to Golden Boy. Hopkins told us that when he beat Cloud, that would be the end of the King Era.

I thought of that after Hopkins had his hand raised in Brooklyn and the 48-year-old hitter reminded all about his quest to finish off The Don (pictured in Hogan photo, above, with Cloud days before Hopkins schooled the younger man) at his post-fight presser.

On the way out of the building, I joked with Allan Hopper, King's PR man, that Hopkins still had some work to do to nail the coffin shut on King. King has a few guys in his stable, still, including 38-3 cruiserweight Guillermo Jones, of Panama. Jones fights Denis Lebedev, who holds the WBA cruiser title, on May 17. Also, to bury Don, Hopkins would need to go to heavyweight, and take out Bermane Stiverne, another King fighter, a Bahamanian with a 22-1 mark. He meets Chris Arreola, in a WBC title shot eliminator, on April 27. Yessir, Don stays relevant if Stiverne beats Arreola, because he'd likely get a crack at WBC champ Vitali Klitschko.

Oh, and King has a pretty fair junior welter, in Cuban Angelo Santana (12-0 with 9 KOs) under contract as well. I give Hopkins immense credit, always, but think I'd do the unthinkable, and bet against the old man to be able to head down to 140 pounds, to truly finish off The Don.

Yep, this burial party was premature; King will leave the business on his own accord, I think. He's mellowed, sure, but enough of the fighting pride is left that he'll not be ushered out of the arena till he's damn well ready.

B-Hop was just spittin jive! The grim reaper is the only sucka who will put a halt on da promoting Don. Holla!

SouthPaul says:

Don's refused to go straight ... Still robbing his clients ... So hopefully ODB and Co., eventually choke 'em out.

deepwater says:

don king isnt going anywhere he doesnt want to go. don will kill a man with his bare hands because he has done so in the past. boxing has/is/will be influenced by gangsters in the shadows for as long as the sport exists.

deepwater says:

anyone see al haymon?

SouthPaul says:

Al don't need to be seen. Let the manager manage ...and the fighter be the fighter/super star. The only people truly criticizing Al Haymon are those who can't get him to do interviews and hoop and hollering in front of the cameras. And the funny thing about that is....they'd still complain about that as well! To this day...I've yet to read or hear any of his clients say anything bad of him. Now, in no way am I advocating on his behalf to the point of claiming he's perfect but it's worth a mention to say as of now.. If there's anything funny going on...it's all speculation . Ain't no speculation going on with Don King. He's many bad contracts and plenty of law suits past speculating. Anyhow, All this being said of Al Haymon ....I still admit I am extremely curious what exact services does he and his company provide for their fighters. I would like to hear it from one of his current and past clients. TSS should run down that sort of one on one interview.

deepwater says:

Al Haymon is smart and successful. Who knows what he does because he stays in the shadows.But seriously on the edges and behind the scenes You must admit that there is a golden triangle of drugs/crime syndicate - music industry - boxing industry . Dirty money is always around big money.

SouthPaul says:

One thing is for certain---- Al loves his anonymity.

Ain't mad at Al! They got Al, my cousin! They got Al Capone! But most of 'em don't even know what Al Haymon look like. Me, personally, I think that he is this Jamaician dude hanging out me. I holla at da cat, and said: "Who are you really?"

He, in his Jamaician accent said, "Al Haymon!"

I said: "What do double fudge? You are Al Haymon."

Dude then caught a tude, and said: "Listen my Pinoy brotha from un'notha motha. Me is Al Hay -- MON!"

Danggit! I'm like: "Hahahaha! Sorry my J brotha, yo' accent throw me off. Ev'ybodee and dey momma are tryin' to get a peep at diz-hidin'-his-@$$ boxing advisor/manager known as Al Haymon -- Al Hay -- MON!" Holla!

SouthPaul says:

Lmfao, now we're comparing Haymon to Al Capone ? You sipping on Tio Mamoy's ancient brew? You seeing white horses with feathers on their pony tails galloping thru your living room too? Holla'!

Hehehe! That would be a white elephants. Holla!