Floyd Doesn't Always Get His Facts Straight

BY Raymond Markarian ON March 13, 2013

MayweatherShowtime Hogan2Floyd Mayweather is the most popular fighter in boxing, maybe the most popular athlete in sports, but he doesn’t always get his facts straight.

In an interesting gripe today between Floyd Mayweather and Andre Ward , arguably the recognized heir to the pound for pound throne, on fighthype.com, Mayweather took a poke at the Bay Area champ. “The only people that know him are in the boxing world. Floyd Mayweather is a worldwide celebrity,” Mayweather told the website. Apparently Mayweather didn’t think kindly of Andre Ward’s decision to cheer for fellow Bay Area native Robert Guerrero to beat Mayweather in their upcoming May 4th fight.

Floyd continued, “I sold out an arena in the Bay Area maybe 12 or 13 years ago. Listen, I don’t know how many people exactly live in Oakland, but I love the fans in Oakland. Not knocking Andre Ward, but he can’t sell tickets nowhere. This is the only guy I know that’s a gold medalist, but nobody know he’s a gold medalist.”

Ward’s response, “If Floyd Mayweather has a problem with me or something that I said, he can pick up the phone and we can talk about it like men.”

It’s hard to gauge where Floyd’s gripe comes from because Ward publicly praises Mayweather’s fight game. Then again, Ward is not a Mayweather “yes man,” and seems cut from a different cloth socially. He is not an Adrian Broner prototype, a Mayweather mini-me. Ward is a different dude.

Here is the truth. On November 10th, 2001, Floyd Mayweather vs. Jesus Chavez did not sell out the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco. As a matter of fact, the 7,000-seat arena where Mayweather held his 27th fight was also the longtime home of the boxing golden gloves in the Bay Area. And according to sources, many of the tickets for that Mayweather fight against Jesus Chavez were given away for free.

Meanwhile Ward has only fought 26 times so far in his career. And when he fights in the Bay, it is in the Oracle Arena, not a ballroom. He also competes with the Raiders, Oakland A’s, 49ers, and the Giants in the Bay Area to promote those events. According to sources, Ward’s last fight against Chad Dawson did a gate of over one million dollars. And before Ward jumped on the HBO ship, the Bay Area fights he had were not financially driven by Al Haymon or one of the prominent promotional teams of Golden Boy and Top Rank, respectfully speaking. After 26 fights Andre Ward is the best fighter in the sport or somewhere close to it, while Mayweather was struggling to sell out auditoriums at the same point in his career.

There is no knocking the status of Mayweather. But maybe he should practice some humility. Perhaps he deserves praise based solely on the merit of his long-standing reign at or near the top of the boxing heap, but his empire was not built overnight and he rode the backs of other boxing stars before making it to the top. When Mayweather fought Arturo Gatti and Oscar De La Hoya he was on the B side of the promotion. And those were English fans screaming for Ricky Hatton in 2007, not Floyd’s.

DaveB says:

Uh-oh. I hear Ali and B-Sug on the way. Where is Real Talk?

SouthPaul says:

The Son Of God vs the self made WWE money villain. In God Andre trust, but, Benjamin's are Floyd's must. The fight would totally sell but too bad weight separates 'em. Damn. Excellent match up...

Wow! Wow! Wow! Wow! Dangit! My bad! I should've told Money May back then that the gate was inflated. In the Bay area, Money May couldn't wear SOG's jockstrap. BTW, Money May has never sold out a place in his own state of Michigan. I guess he is just bulljiving to build the Sin City gate for his ghost beatdown with the Cali Ghost.

Anyway! Check the records! Money May is the only O-Game medalist who cannot sellout an arena of more than 5,000 in his own residing city of his birth. Holla!

I couldn't agree more with this article Mayweather got his panties in a bunch cuz Ward said he's rootingfor the ghost. That's his boi Robert goes to Ward fights and supports him this nigg@ is gets way to emotional about weak sh!t.

deepwater says:

Bravo good article . Ward acts like a man . Floyd has mental issues and split personality disorder.

Carmine Cas says:

Money comes and goes (especially with floyd's gambling habits) but legends are immortal. When it's all said and done, Floyd will not be mentioned in the same group as Robinson, Armstrong, Ali, Leonard, Duran, etc. But Ward is earning his way there, much respect to S.O.G. Floyd has even admitted that he'd rather have more money in the bank than be remembered as the greatest, ignorant a** fool

Damn Floyd have a little humility

Wow! Let's not get too emotional. Despite all Money May's emotional illnesses, he will be mentioned in the same group as the above. Both Sugarmen suffered from mental misbehaviors and beating the hebejebeeez outta their wives. And Duran even once cussed at Leonard's wife while rubbing himself. And Homicide Hank Armstrong "did a lot of dirt before getting saved," in his own words.

Money May is just finding angles to build up the hater crowd tha will be spending its earning to see him beat. All is fair in love and war -- seedy-@$$, two-faced boxing -- "The threatre of the unexpected." Money May is just playin' crazy game. And it is what the late, great Richard Pryor stole from the late, great promoter Tex Rickard: $howmanship by having "yo (N-word) to act crazy and fool the crazy-@$$ (fanfaronades) out of their money."

Oh, YUP! Boxing is enterainment words, wits and syet talk. Holla!

SouthPaul says:

Well said, Radam. I entirely agree.

i think floyd looked and sounded a little punchy in his fox and showtime interviews this last month.
no hate, concern.

but he had difficulty finding his words, and what he was trying to say, quite a bit.
it was like listening to that kid in elementary school who cant really read, but try to read ....

about the article, floyd is a hypocrite always has been always will be, and he is jealous..

he doesnt understand he cherrypicks fights and people cant stand it.

lb 4 lb list.
1. bhop
2. ward
3. jmm
4. sm
5. floyd

yea i said it

Carmine Cas says:

I wasn't referring to his out of the ring actions, I was referring to his selection of opponents, even he is mentioned with them there will always be a question mark on his resume, ain't no denying that

and you know another thing, money this money that..

of course you want to make as much money as you can, take care of the family i get it..

but when is enough, enough?

floyd has house and cars in vegas and miami..

prob 100 million in the bank..

but priced himself out of the pacma fight gtfoh

he has enough money,

he was just ducking pacman

Carmine Cas says:

Interesting list, but I think an argument at #1 could be definitely made

Oh I am definitely biased on that list carmin. Haha.

That was an emotional list.

All those guys and donaire are in it somewhere.

Wow! Just so that you will know there are 10 questions on Sugar Ray Robinson's resume about who he would not fight or give a rematch to. Plus the Sugarman got five gifts according know-their-syet witnesses, tons of archives, the FBI, DIA and the Library of Congress. Even weak boxrec has documentation of the gifts given to the Sugar one. The boxer, who has not ducked and "cherry pick opponents" cast the first stone!"

That is what I thought! In the Filipino Waray accent of my Tio Mamoy: "Ev'y muthapucka great boksinero duck and padded his record."

Sugar Ray Robinson and Jack Dempsey are the only superchampions who used boxers' color, ethnicites and races to duck them. Everybody who ever box has at least an iota of seediness and bullsyetology in him/her. A spade is a spade. I will always call it that and not try to hide in the shade. Holla!

SouthPaul says:

Tio Mamoy is wise man. He once served as the chief sparring partner to Father Time.

Hehe! SouthPaul, when he wake up from his nap, he's going to be sounding: "Puck, SouthPaul! I've catch a boat to the states and whup his @ss and Uncle Sam' and 10 people who look like 'em! Hehehe!

I'm on Skype now waiting for my old-syet talking uncle to wake up and get started. Holla!

Uh-oh. I hear Ali and B-Sug on the way. Where is Real Talk?

Hello Dave..
I read 40 or 50 boxing articles a day and watch hours worth of historical boxing video every week on YouTube just because I'm just that kind of fanatic when it comes to my favorite sport. So you know I had something to say about Floyd's most recent media gaffe.

Ward has supported Floyd in the media every since his acomplishments in the supersix earned him access to a pulpit with which he can speak to the entire boxing community.

Even when Floyd was mired in scandal from his domestic abuse case.... and received universal criticizm for sucker punching Ortiz....Ward refused the opportunity to publicly speak non-supportively of him...even saying that he was himself a bit of a protégé of Floyd's boxing style. The ultimate compliment.

Mayweathers' comments cannot be condoned by any boxing fan who lives in the context of the real world. Floyd's lack of concept of things spiritual is embarrassing for a man his age. Floyd could benefit himself by letting Ward mentor him in this area so that he doesn't make the grievous error of speaking out of context again about things he couldn't possibly comprehend.

When it comes to rash outbursts... Floyd is the king of compulsive comments... the more competitive the upcoming fight...the more irrational the comments..expect more of these random outbursts as the Guerrero fight draws closer.

B-sug right on point

stormcentre says:

During the lead up to Floyd's fight with Oscar, Floyd talked absolute rubbish then too.

It was remarkable that DeLa Hoya held it together through it all. At times Floyd talked so much waffle he literally – and I mean literally – couldn’t stop, control himself or consider the value of thinking and/or letting logic drive his mouth.

Part of it was that he solidly believed he was going to beat Oscar and in his mind it was now only a matter of time before big time fame and money was his; so he couldn’t help himself, as he was intoxicated with it all.

Plus he knew the more he jacked off Oscar the easier the fight would be.

At one stage (Oscar had recently opened a school in East LA) Floyd was up at the podium, in front of everyone that would be at a huge promotion like that, saying stuff like "Oh I'm Oscar DeLa Hoya I'm going to build a school - Oh I'm Oscar DeLa Hoya I'm going to this - Oh I'm Oscar DeLa Hoya I'm going to that" - then he turned to Oscar and said . . . "Oh I'm Oscar DeLa Hoya I aint going to do ****".

It was as funny – perhaps only equaled by how much Oscar was completely peeved off.

But that was the best of it from Floyd – the rest was dribble.

Anyway, I guess it worked. As he got under Oscar's skin, and as a result Oscar then failed to fight without; excess nervous tension, unnecessarily expending energy, and, being relaxed as possible - which I believe is one necessary ingredient required to successfully compete against Mayweather - even if you don’t win.

Before light welterweight Floyd was hard to fault and probably won’t get too much ribbing, from a history perspective, for his matchmaking. However, at light welterweight and above; I’m not sure.

Yep, (as mentioned in other threads by other posters here) Sugar Ray Robinson did avoid some guys. History has it that Charley Burley was one.

But, and this is the thing in my opinion, SRR also met an awful lot of serious and dangerous head on, and he often walked up into the ring knowing that only with an utterly outstanding performance would his hand be raised.

Such was the competition and the frequency of it for SRR.

Furthermore, SRR was not afraid to lose - it was usually more of a concern for him to have not tried in his, and the fan’s, eyes.

There are so many SRR opponents that he fought that could be what Pacquiao is/was to Mayweather.

However, above light welterweight I think the only guy that Floyd is really unsure that he will beat, is the guy that he has avoided.

And that's the main difference in my opinion.

Sure Floyd went on and fought Cotto without making him starve (and it was a goo fight). But by then, for Floyd, Cotto was as battle worn as his style was known and understood. So there was a safety margin there for Floyd.

Also, Cotto doesn't have really fast hands, and he struggled with (lost to IMO) Mosley; which was another reason that made him less dangerous when TMT assessed that fight and Floyd’s “O”.

It’s hard to imagine SRR approaching; La Motta, Turpin, Olson, Basilio, Graziano, Maxim, and Fullmer (to name a few) with the same cautious, defensive pretexts, and safety first mindset – as Mayweather does some of his dangerous opponents.

Yet that is what Mayweather must do, in my opinion, to be compared to SRR; as Floyd insists he is as good as – if not better. You can do the same with Ali’s record and Mayweather’s claims. As Floyd has previously stated he is better than Muhammad Ali.

When you read through SRR's record, there are just so many tough challenges there that represent – at least multiple instances of the challenge Pacquiao is to Mayweather - for SRR.

Even with that brief assessment; there is no way Floyd is in the same boat as SRR IMO.

However Floyd is brilliant in this era, albeit with the careful and selective approach he has taken with some opponents.

So, in my view, you can’t talk too much more rubbish in boxing than when you compare yourself to Ali or SRR; whilst avoiding the first seriously dangerous challenge there is that you may not only lose, but also get knocked out.

Ward is cut from a different cloth than Floyd, and Floyd knows it.

The fact that Ward is genuinely popular, a proven quantity and liked for all the right reasons; annoys Floyd and makes him jealous, and that’s why he talks the rubbish he does about Ward.

Floyd’s insecurity kicks in and psychologically he simply cant handle knowing the knowledgeable boxing public have a skilled gold medalist whom not only takes risks, but has also proven himself; to gauge Floyd against.

Ward’s skills, confidence, sincerity and the determination he showed during the middleweight tournament; speaks of a fighter with qualities that Floyd is envious and bothered about.

In fact Ward, at this stage of his career, is a far better facsimile of SRR than Floyd is.

dino da vinci says:

Ali & Marciano to name two. I could name 1,000 fighters who feared no one and ducked no one. World Champions and world contenders to be precise.

Not TRUE, ddv! GOAT Ali ducked the heck outta a rematch with Doug[las] Jones after getting a HIGHLY disputed, close decision. Holla at the bout on Youtube or Daily Motion. The GOAT also ducked Ken Norton in a WBC-ordered fourth match and then lost to "Neon" Leon Spinks. I was a toddler at both Norton and Spinks bouts in 1976 and 1978. I don't have a personal remembrance of the Norton bout. But I have a CLEAR one of the Spinks's bout, because -- for one thing -- Mr. T was Leon's bodyguard and was spooking da holy hebejebeez outta my bad @ss. I kept eyeballing that dark-shades-wearing [then] chocolate-colored Hulk-looking kick@ss and talking jive even back then. Hehehe! [Now Mr. T is/was never full of roids or PEDs. After he befriended me, gave me a bit roll in his television episode -- "The A Team" -- he made me drink cow milk. And you know that is so terrible-tasting jive.]

You can probably find a lot of that jive on Youtube: The Mr. T stare down at me, Richard Pryor's daughter, GOAT Ali's daughter and son [if I recall correctly]. Plus holla at the tape of how Neon Leon Spinks was always gettin' on his dance to start off his training sessions. OMFG! Those were some crazy days. Hehehe!

BTW, don't believe the hype that no boxer does not have ducks -- I mean skeletons -- in his/her closet. Holla!

McHomer says:

Floyd is busy running his mouth to sell tickets. Both guys are incredible fighters but as human beings one is full of class and the other is a turd.

dino da vinci says:

Radam, the man fought Foreman, which is the closest thing the world will ever experience to 'Man vs. Train' with man winning. I see no Marciano response so I'll stay in New England and add Willie Pep, Marvin Hagler and Vinnie Pazienza. Then I'll go back to Louisville if need be.

You probably won't get a response to Mariciano. There just rumors about him coming back from retirement. That doesn't count. It is all right to duck muthasucka when you have retired and are considering a comeback. Rocky did whup da GOAT Ali in that computer bout. Holla!

Pep, Hagler and Paz did slide and duck. For one thing Hagler paid off Don Curry to not fight Leonard, so that he could. Then he refused to fight Curry. Holla!

dino da vinci says:

No. Hagler's last fight with Leonard marked the end. He went into a funk, felt he was cheated. (Maybe yes, maybe no.) He in no way ever ducked anyone. Also, I don't recall any step aside money paid to Donald. Didn't have to, they were fighting for Marvin's title, not Ray's. As for the others, I need names, Radam, I need names!

Marvin Hagler ducked out of a verbally agreed fight with Don Curry. Curry sued! The court found the sue legit -- no syet! The Marvelous One and Sugar Ray Leonard and company paid Curry BIG step-aside moolah and a promise that he'd fight the winner. Holla at TSS super-investigative boxing journalist S-To! He can find a Hagler invisible single on a wolf's arse.

As the Marvelous One fought a small Duran, he was going to do it to a Curry too. But he ducked to dance with the Sugarman.

Vinnie Paz gave up his four minor belts and refused to meet the top contenders in those alphabet minor sanctioning organizations overseas, especially in South Africa.

A young Willie Pep refused to go to Paris to get it on with the alphabet-sanctioning organization's top gun.

Just so that you will know, corrupted alphabet-sanctioning organization have always been around. Technically Homicide Hank Armstrong did hold three major belts at one time. In his days, states had their own world-sanctioning organizations. New York state was the most powerful and known one.

C'mon, ddv! You know that I'm not going to be a pointman for boxing trues and falsities. Tell the Universe scribes to holla me wrong if they can. Holla!

Ddv, you can probably Google all of this jive. And I will be proven 100-percent right. Ducking -- depending on your definition -- is just as much a part of the game as jabbing and hooking. Holla!

Carmine Cas says:

Yes murder's row being some of the fighters, but it's much more clear to discriminate against Floyd's resume, it's recent lol

Carmine Cas says:

Well said Storm, Ward is a class act

RG,... I could easily name another thousand... and I'm old enough to have seen it with my own eyes,... google is totally unnecessary. The TSS is privy to too many knowlegible readers (those who just read, post, or do both) to go for the okey-doke-sucker-punch.

Nice words McHomer,... not trying to pick on your words... but I think Mayweather is more multidimentional,... he's definitely a turd on the build up to a fight... but afterwards I do believe he does infact learn from his mistakes.
StormCentre summed it up by saying Floyd pumps himself up into a near Berzerker Mode verbally during hype mode...
However it doesn't totally define the true character of the man.

Every single great boxer fear and have ducked. Anybody inside the game or know game knows this. It is a hard fact, not a Money May's bag. Late, great James Brown -- an ex-boxer himself -- would tell you: "Poppa don't have a brand new bag!" Holla!

SouthPaul says:

Speaking for myself ..let it be clear while I don't find Floyd particularly interesting outside the ring ...neither do I believe he's some big bad evil human being. Not at all. I know for a fact he's done all sorts of good charity work. Respect! On the flip side ...boxing inside the ring and outside of it..is real life stuff...this ain't WWE...so one needs to be held accountable for their absurd behavior.

DaveB says:

Are we calling ducking the avoidance of a fight because of fear of getting beat? Or is ducking avoiding a fight because there is a better opportunity to make more money fighting another opponent but if the guy you "ducked" to fight the second guy offered more money you would have fought the first guy? Some fighters avoid because of fear, some avoid because financially there are better things on the horizon. I don't mind the second kind of "ducker". Especially if they fight really good fighters that have a really good chance. They should get paid well for that.

DaveB says:

Wow, B-Sug, You just did a B-Sug 3:16 on Floyd.

stormcentre says:

None of my posts suggest Floyd is a bad person (insecure, rubbish talker at times, cautious with opponent selection, impulsive and childish; yes). And I'm not suggesting anyone is saying that either.

For the most part Floyd simply views boxing differently now that he’s a superstar and above light welterweight where, he knows, some guys - even capable and dangerous ones, and particularly those that are not taking on some disadvantage - can make a very, very big name for themselves and become hugely popular; if they beat him.

Boxing is just the vehicle by which Floyd maintains his fame, wealth and self worth; now. He has got to where he always wanted to be; why risk it all; is one of his mottos? Floyd knows boxing, the fans and the industry is an unforgiving bunch; even when you win. So why furnish us with a great fight that could pass the torch?

Floyd has realized that with the help of his popularity, drawing power and also the network interests, he can easily afford to select opponents, appear as if risks are taken, and maintain a safety margin; whilst also protecting his legacy, and both promoting and participating in fights.

These factors, plus Floyd and his team’s knowledge of the sport allow Floyd to manage that safety margin quite well and sometimes it even seems as if there is a danger there; when a fight promotion involving Floyd is taking place.

Mostly there is no danger though and at the moment there are few mandatory challengers that would bother Floyd. If there was, perhaps he would jump division; who knows? It’s not like he has welcomed the challenge Pacquiao has presented, or shown disappointment in the fact that if he does get to fight him; it won’t be whilst Pacquiao is (recently) unbeaten - or whilst he has been at the peak of his game and a superstar.

And this is all OK, because ducking and diving is a part of the sport. Yes it’s better and more accepted to do it when making a comeback; but for the most part ducking and diving is a part of the sport; as many have said here.

However, some guys don’t do it. Ward doesn’t seem to have done it yet. And Pacquiao certainly gave the well accepted impression that he sought out - rather than ducked - most serious challenges. That’s one reason why Pacquiao’s star rose so quickly and shone so brightly. Top Rank, Roach and clever matchmaking had a little to do with it too.

So by and large, ducking and the amount you do it; is a choice.

And if you make that choice but pretend you don’t; that can expose you. Particularly when the sport has an almost cult following and ducking is usually a sign of being scared - that emotion people think boxers should feel.

Now, if you make the choice to duck, pretend you don’t and then claim you belong aside Ali and SRR; that can not only expose you, but it will make a fool out of you.

And that’s even if you didn’t choose to duck the first serious challenge you faced as a superstar; as Mayweather has.

You see, when you're a superstar and you take on the big challengers - like SRR, Ali and others - you roll the dice and bet the dam house. The risks/rewards are huge and they're totally reliant on your performance. And that’s just one reason why boxing is so popular and will always remain so.

And in the fans eyes, if you do that - roll the dice, bet the house and take on a real threat, particularly whilst you're a superstar - then as boxing fans we’re all usually more forgiving if you duck one or two opponents later.

So long as we know that you're prepared to put it all on the line in a fight with a dangerous guy that wants what you got, he has earned the right to challenge for it, and the fact that he’s coming in without a contractual or other suspicious disadvantage means you must give it all to win.

That’s why and how Ali, SRR, Hopkins and the other greats mentioned in other posts, mostly managed to duck some guys; without losing too much credibility. Because as superstars they faced those challenges regularly. In fact, oftentimes they not only faced those challenges regularly, they re-matched them too.

Whilst a superstar; Floyd is yet to face this kind of challenge. His response to Pacquiao calling him out was not to do all he could to make the fight; for the above-mentioned reasons. Yet Floyd talks as if he has faced this kind of challenge, and as if it is so proven that we should not question it - to the point where Mayweather sometimes gets upset.

I still like Floyd over Pacquiao in a fight, but I wish Floyd would have stepped up when Pacquiao finally agreed to all the tests.

In any regard, the disparity between fact and fiction with Floyd’s words - particularly those related to the SRR (and other proven boxing legend) comparisons - can’t be denied by the true boxing fan, in my opinion.

Furthermore, the fact that Floyd knows he doesn’t approach the sport as SRR and his other idols do, but gets annoyed and childish when others reveal they know it too; is very telling.

As is the fact that he acts as above described when there is another fighter that has all his potential and perhaps more - one that - so far - not only opts to refrain from being as selective, unconfident and cautious as Floyd is; but one that also seeks out big challenges.

Someone like Ward. Floyd knows that Ward has a better chance of being a modern SRR than him. Only thing is (as Floyd is making no sense complaining about Ward) Ward isn’t telling us that; he’s actually showing us.

And even though it doesn’t mean Floyd is not a brilliant boxer; that’s a big difference.

@DaveB, I'm spittin' about the whole NINE! There are many reasons and seasons for ducking. But ducking is ducking. Just like there are many reasons and seasons and treasons -- Hehehe -- that we die. But dying is dying. So to me, just call a spade a spade. Too many readers up in this Universe are caste-tized -- my word. But to me, it is no high or low caste for any boxer. Fright or finance ducking is ducking. Ducking is a parts of the whup-@$$ game, just as dying is a parts of the living game. On this planet, everybody dies, even if he rises in three days.

In boxing, every great fighter ducked, even if he has beat a 40-year-old "Big old, ugly bear," known as "Night Train" and later beat a human train, later to become a teddy bear-like talking head and a preacher picking my sinning pockets. Holla!

SouthPaul says:

Uncle Mamoy once ducked cardiac arrest only to be forced to face his mandatory stroke but he won that by TKO.

The baddest muthasucka to me who is the best ducker is the one who put it on death. Hehe! Those d@mn Egyptians of ancient times fooled everybodee and dey momma back then by being put in pyramids and told you that they were going to go to some special afterlife with all yo' syet. But the then thieves and the now Pyramid robbers know better than that syet. Hehehe!

And they know that the Pharoahs' arses were all about the gold. Hahaha! Listen to Deepwater, y'all! Go buy gold. I don't want your arses dugged up a thousand years from now and the peeps of that time call yo' @$$ cheat commoner bytches for being buried with worthless U.S. currency in your cheat burial suits. Hehehe! Holla!

Tio Mamoy is a bad mutha -- "SHUT YO' MOUTH! I'm just talking about Tio Mamoy! Hehe! Holla!

When hasn't Floyd put his foot in his mouth.
When hasn't he acted disrespectful or ignorant?

Didn't he even release a video with racial slurs and comments towards pacman and his race?

I mean how was that ok?

How is that accepted?

Real Talk says:

@ Dave B, Real Talk keeps it 100 an I agree with this article. If I was around Floyd an in his circle he would know. He could read my face or I would tell him we got business to handle and focus, but then again what do I know...this could be promoting. This is good pub for Andre Ward and from a promotion perspective it's gold. Some of the things he said rubbed me the wrong way but that's what Floyd does, he moves you one way or the other and he's the formula down cold. On top of that he's training and dieting and I don't know about ya'll but that makes me real mean and grouchy. May and Ward are two of my favorite fighters along with Hopkins because I appreciate the styles and skills. I was going to say humble yourself in the sight of the LORD an if he was sincere then yes, humble yourself, but again this can be that WWE style of promoting and pulling a play from Mcmahon's playbook. If that's the case then Floyd is using marketing genius and helping his brother Andre Ward. It's funny how my comments started one way but morphed into something else. The mind is in motion plus GOD reveals things to me. This may be GOD using Floyd to usher Ward through the door as the next PPV titan and prosper him. Time will tell. Dueces

i dont think floyd is helping promote his friend Ward, this was a boxing interview for the hardcore, not the mainstream..
if he pulls this during the showtime all access shows then maybe, but floyd is floyd, brilliant in the ring one minute and a complete jackass out of it the next.
dont forget, this is a person who has been a fighter his whole life, set to be a pro boxer since 5.

its not like hes a college grad with marketing and international business degrees and experience to be a brilliant PR guy..

hes a spoiled brat who has been rich since he was 20.

that will lose one's perspective

Don't believe the ghettoganda -- a word of Don King -- Lil' Floyd has been rich his whole life. He is just now mega-rich as a spoiled middle-age adult and a boxing elder. Holla!

teaser says:

I don't think any boxer is "scared" to face another fighter...ducking is part of the business strategy ...Floyd is a gambler and weighs the odds of each fight comparing risk and reward...Oscar was a big risk but the reward outweighed the odds..any fighter only has so many fights in them and the harder the fights the less of them there are...like radman says this is prize fighting and Floyd understands this oh so well...money money money

stormcentre says:

Being scared is an interesting subject with boxing.

In my opinion a lot of people seem to think that fighters don't get scared. I think there is a misconception with that view. Sure there are probably some guys that are wired up differently that may not, but by the virtue of our nervous system and brains, even most of them will experience fear when being hit and unable to defend.

Tyson, in his prime and after, certainly experienced fear before, during and after fights. And I think that is a reasonably good example. Not in the least as most people, particularly boxing spectators, would not have thought Tyson was scared.

But he was.

I know I certainly did when I was younger and boxed. Particularly before I had 20 or so amateur fights, during those times when I was only just beginning to become familiar with performing publicly under that kind of pressure and with the thought that one mistake can result in both devastating and embarrassing consequences.

I remember that when I made a choice to become a boxer, one of the most significant concerns for me was - particularly during those early times when I knew I was still learning but competing nevertheless - that I may get into a situation I cant control and become someone that others used as a symbol of why not to do the sport.

A fighter that can’t fight is not exactly the reputation a boxer hopes to achieve, and I had seen with some other guys in the gym that losses become increasingly easy to accumulate the more you get.

I also know that most guys that fought from the same gym(s) as me - that I had close enough friendships with for them to be honest about something like that – thought similarly to me too.

It was like, as a boxer, you had to walk that line of not being scared even though you were. Similarly even with very successful professional fighters they usually claim they fear no-one even though we all know doing that means you will soon find someone that understands your style.

Floyd is a good example of a successful professional fighter that does feel fear. And perhaps James Toney is a good example of a successful professional fighter that does not feel fear.

You can make your own decision on whether Toney’s (or Floyd’s) state of mind is sound though.

So, personally, I think it is a widespread fallacy to believe that because a guy is a fighter they don't experience fear or get scared.

Everyone sane has fear; it's a survival instinct. Note the caveat in that sentence “sane”.

After you (I’m not saying you haven’t or have boxed) have had a few fights, say 10 - 20, or so (it obviously varies between fighters) most guys, IMO, start to then learn how to handle that (scared/fear) emotion.

For me and the above-mentioned guys I trained with, we all used the emotion as an incentive. And whilst I have never been a world champion, I have shared the same gym with 2 champions, and quite a few guys that were in or close to contention.

Very few of them were as relaxed before a fight as the week before the fight, or after it. And the reason for that usually comes down to the boxer being a sane human being with a brain and survival instincts; whom is experiencing fear and the associated nervous tension.

I think, in boxing, there are a few different reasons to be scared. Three of the most common that I am aware of are;

1) Fear of losing.

2) Fear of being hurt.

3) Fear of being publicly humiliated as a result of the above 2 points.

In a sport as ego-centric as boxing - where to be even reasonably good one must virtually eat, sleep and drink boxing and dedicate almost every minute of your woken life to either training, thinking or planning something about or to do with fighting - for the dedicated and aspiring boxer, boxing can quickly become everything.

So too then is the fear of underperforming and/or failing in a vocation that the competing fighter knows everyone was aware that even when he poured his heart and soul into it; it still didn’t work. Why then did he perhaps act as if he was more of a fighter than he had the right to be, before the fight; the fighter’s fear may motivate him to think – as is often the case – about losing.

In summary the dedication required to compete, even at the amateur level, often means there is no doubt that a boxer largely defines himself by his performances in competition.

You don’t play boxing. It’s not like baseball or hockey. And so too with the dedication and stakes, must come the risks and fear.

This is why winning is so great and addictive. Because you overcome fear and possibly generate money and fame.

When a boxer trains his confidence not just as a fighter, but also as a person, often goes through the roof. Such is the case when most people frequently confront fears during every training session that most men may not even know exist. The boxer’s physique also improves and with it most weight loss issues driven by aesthetics, also soon disappear.

So, there’s quite a few very strong psychological, self-image, social, professional and other aspects to boxing, and how it defines its participants.

Given the dedication required, the sport’s nature of constantly measuring and testing even outside of competition, and the multitude of different risks involved; it is almost impossible for any sane competitor to not be capable of being scared.

Even Muhammad Ali admitted he was scared before fights, and as above-mentioned, we have all seen the videos of Mike Tyson crying with fear before his early amateur fights.

I appreciate there may be different views to this subject, but personally I don’t think I have ever seen a sane boxer faced with a genuine challenge that he must rely totally upon himself to publicly confront, that doesn’t exhibit some traces of fear sometime.

However, if there was one it may be Marvin Hagler. But my common sense tells me that even he felt fear but was both extremely used to it and utilizing it as a form of motivation during competition.

Way to storm, Storm! You well READ and straight Centre in the reality of the actuality the legit, not any of dat bullsyet! Keep posting and telling it like it is. Holla!

stormcentre says:

Thanks RG

It's not always fear.

Anxiety is part of human nature and emotion