Showtime Will Show Canelo-Trout on April 20

BY The Sweet Science ON March 13, 2013

canelo-troutSAN ANTONIO, TEXAS (March 13) - Unbeaten Mexican superstar and WBC Super Welterweight World Champion Canelo Alvarez and undefeated WBA Super Welterweight Champion Austin "No Doubt" Trout are set to square off in a 12-round, WBC and WBA Super Welterweight World Championship Unification fight on Saturday, April 20 from the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas in a fight which will be televised live on SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING®(10:00 p.m. ET/ 7:00 p.m. PT).

Canelo vs. Trout, a 12-round WBC and WBA Super Welterweight World Championship Unification fight, is promoted by Golden Boy Promotions, Canelo Promotions and Leija & Battah Promotions and sponsored by Corona andAT&T. The fight will air live on SHOWTIME and is presented in association with Greg Cohen Promotions.

Tickets priced at $300, $150, $100, $50, $25 and $10, plus applicable taxes, fees and services charges, are on sale now and available for purchase at the Alamodome box office, online at www.ticketmaster.com, all Ticketmaster locations or by calling (800) 745-3000.

Canelo, who started training for the fight in his hometown of Guadalajara before moving camp to Santa Monica, Calif., is already familiar his opponent's fighting style and abilities as he was ringside for Trout's December 1, 2012 victory over Miguel Cotto in New York and also watched Trout defeat his older brother Rigoberto Alvarez in Guadalajara in February of 2011.

"Austin Trout impressed me with his win over Miguel Cotto and my brother," said Canelo, who will be making his sixth title defense against Trout. "But I feel that in boxing, it's my time now, and I will show Trout why I am the best in the division. Champions should fight each other because that's what true champions do. I know he will be a tough challenge, but I'm confident I will be the unified champion at the end of the night. Beating him will make a statement, and in so doing, I plan to avenge my brother's loss to him and bring victory home to Mexico too."

The WBA Super Welterweight World Champion Trout, whose performance over Miguel Cotto in December helped further establish him as a force to be reckoned with, is ready for his next contest against Canelo.

"I'm absolutely ready to face Canelo and all of his fans who will be out in full force in San Antonio that night," said Trout, the 27-year old southpaw from Las Cruces, New Mexico who will be making his fifth title defense. "Although he is a true champion, I don't believe he has had the ring experience or has faced the competition he should have in order to be able to handle the skills that I will show him when we fight April 20. I have already defeated his brother and taken his belt, and I plan on making it two for two against the Alvarez's in my in my quest to be the best. I have no doubt that I will retain my title and takes his with me too. I can't wait."

"Canelo has proven with each challenge he has faced that he is getting better and has fast become a superstar in the sport not only because of his talent, but also because of his unbelievable fan base that continues to grow every time he fights," said Oscar De La Hoya, president of Golden Boy Promotions. "Austin Trout is an incredible fighter with superb boxing skills and a great champion in his own right. I'm very excited to see what happens when these two fighters meet in the ring on April 20. Golden Boy is going back to Texas in true Texas fashion with a huge fight at the Alamodome in San Antonio, the home of great boxing fans who love and appreciate the sport. It's going to be a great night for everyone involved."

"We are very excited to work with Oscar de la Hoya, the entire Golden Boy Promotions team, Canelo Promotions and SHOWTIME on this sensational event," said Texas boxing legend and former World Champion Jesse James Leija of Leija and Battah Promotions. "Boxing fans in Texas have a terrific opportunity to be part of a memorable evening headlined by two of the sports finest competitors."

"At just 22 years of age, Canelo's appeal is undeniable and still growing," said Stephen Espinoza, Executive Vice President and General Manager for SHOWTIME Sports. "His first appearance on SHOWTIME last fall resulted in record ratings for SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING. We are thrilled to have him headlining once again when he will face the toughest opponent of his career. Austin Trout, likewise, helped set a ratings record on our network last December when he upset future Hall of Famer Miguel Cotto with an impressive, coming-of-age performance. Canelo vs. Trout is exactly the type of fight that SHOWTIME has become known for - a match-up between two of boxing's brightest stars in which the outcome is impossible to predict. Naturally, as a programmer, I am thrilled to deliver this world championship unification to SHOWTIME subscribers. As a fight fan, I can't wait to be ringside at a raucous Alamodome."

"We are pleased to join Golden Boy Promotions, Canelo Promotions and Leijah & Battah Promotions in bringing this highly coveted match-up to our city," said Michael Sawaya, Convention, Sports, & Entertainment Facilities Director of the Alamodome. "San Antonio has long been a host for many championship events and this world title bout continues our long tradition."

The pride of Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico, 22-year-old Canelo Alvarez (41-0-1, 30 KO's) has proven himself worthy of standing side by side with his country's modern day boxing greats, both in the ring and outside of it. A fighting phenom who has been a pro since 2005, Canelo ran through all comers on the local circuit before winning the NABF welterweight title in 2009, before beginning his attack on the international boxing scene. In 2010, Canelo had a breakout year with wins over Jose Miguel Cotto, Luciano Cuello, Carlos Baldomir and Lovemore N'dou, and by 2011 he was a world champion, defeating Matthew Hatton for the WBC Super Welterweight World Championship. Canelo, who has truly become a superstar in Mexico with millions tuning in every time he fights, has since defended his title successfully five times, defeating Ryan Rhodes, Alfonso Gomez, Kermit Cintron, Sugar Shane Mosley and Josesito Lopez. On April 20, he will look to unify the division against Austin Trout in front of an adoring crowd as he fights in Texas for the first time.

Long considered one of boxing's most underrated gems, Las Cruces, New Mexico's Austin "No Doubt" Trout (26-0, 14 KO's) took the long road to recognition in his pro career after a successful run as an amateur. Willing to go anywhere to fight anyone, the talented Trout built up win after win while waiting for his shot at the gold. That shot came in February of 2011 when he faced Canelo's older brother Rigoberto for the WBA Super Welterweight World Championship. Despite fighting in Alvarez's backyard in Guadalajara, Trout's boxing skills prevailed as he won a 12-round decision and the title. Still looking to convince the boxing world that he was the real deal, Trout successfully defended his title with wins against David Lopez, Frank LoPorto and Delvin Rodriguez, setting up a December 2012 showdown with Puerto Rican icon Miguel Cotto. Again, Trout stepped up when the pressure was highest, winning a 12 round unanimous decision over Cotto in a career best performance that he hopes to top on April 20.

riverside says:

should be a good fight, We are giving Trout way too much credit for his limited resume, only notable victory is over cotto. Cotto has slipped a lot!!, he looked good vs Mayweather, IMO because Money May chose to stand and trade shots which made the fight alot more competive, not that Cotto did anything on his half to make fight close. Using the yard stick we see both Money May and Trout beating cotto by same scores? misleading!. I see Canelo as bigger version of a prime young Cotto. I got Canelo as a slight favorite, might will be close and will get the UD.

Wow, Riverside! Much respect! But l got the red-headed losing like Austin Trout mugged his @ss on a Tijuana, Mexico, roadside. I don't know what Team Canelo is smoking, but out of this bout they oughta starting choking. Trout is going whup dat hyped arse, and I'm not joking. Holla!

riverside says:

wow, riverside! Much respect! But l got the red-headed losing like austin trout mugged his @ss on a tijuana, mexico, roadside. I don't know what team canelo is smoking, but out of this bout they oughta starting choking. Trout is going whup dat hyped arse, and i'm not joking. Holla!

lol!!
deepwater says:

hope trout will do it but all the money is behind red head. no respect for red head. he sucker punched lil 106 lb archie solis and ruined his career. no repect for cheap shot artists,bullies,or old lady purse snatchers.

SouthPaul says:

Protect yourself at all times! Lmao. If you can, elaborate on that story, Deepwater. What exactly occurred ?

This is a fantastic fight card. The match up itself is interesting as all hell... Its a regular non PPV event ... And the fight tickets are priced exceptionally well. $10.00 seats? This is blue collar hardcore boxing stuff right here, son. Nice! We definitely firing up the BBQ grill. Fight gathering at my place. Holla', Radam, tell uncle Mamoy we got a cold one waiting for 'em.

maromero says:

Deepwater was jogging in Guadalajara, when Solis and Canelo began to argue.Its going to be interesting to see what happens April 20th, will the winner scare Floyd away from the 154lb division or did they already scare him off?

SouthPaul says:

I don't think he's being scary one way or another but I'm quite positive the more someone leans on Floyd ...telling him who he should and shouldnt fight ...he'll likely defy them and do the opposite. Homey is still dealing with past abuse issues from when his Daddy was punk'n and being a control freak back in the day. Comical to this poster how Floyd all of sudden started talking up a family reunion (he even gave uncle Jeff a shout out. Lmfao) as soon as he found out 50 Cent was working with his pops. 50 is definitely in Floyd's head!

deepwater says:

Oct 2011 red head accused Lil solis of messing with his woman. Red head sucker punched him and broke his jaw and knocked teeth out. I think charges were pressed. Sports illustrated had a story on it

SouthPaul says:

Good looking out. Just read the entire SI piece. Lmfao. Never knew until now. I thought he actually sucker punched him but no where in the article does it mention he blind sided Solis. Sounds like he walked up on him...they exchanged words..then Canelo went in on 'em. Wild!

i havent seen enough of either in with great fighters therefore it is hard to make a pick.

i would have to favor trout, being as he is the better overall boxer, it is the sweet science.

SouthPaul says:

Watch Vargas vs Wright. Believe that's what is about to go down next month . Canelo will be the Vargas to Trout's Winky Wright.

Wow! The bout is going to be at the Alamodome too. I'm reminded of Pernell Whitaker whuppin' da hebejebeez outta Julio Cesar Chavez Sr and getting a draw. Will history repeat itself in Texaco -- I mean Texas? Or will Trout is an honest break? Cheating will be the red-headed hype only chance. Holla!

SouthPaul says:

Whooooooaaa, good mention! Can remember exactly where I was watching that. I'm Rewatching Wright vs Vargas now on YouTube in between working out. Damn good technical bout. I don't think Vargas gets enuff credit for being a very good "boxer" puncher. His skill set was on point during this fight. I think Canelo will be more aggressive than Vargas was against Winky, at least early on.

This will be the toughest fight of both fighters careers up to this point. Kudos to Canelo for taking this fight. He could avoid the risky fish all together. Canelo has to crank up the pressure, cut the ring off and bang the body. The rest will take care of its self. If Alvarez is truly a top tier fighter he has to win this. I was just saying the same thing about Cloud and he failed. I like the comparison to Vargas-Winky. I thought Vargas won a close fight back then. Whitaker-Chavez is a prime example of when the lefty beats the hell out of the favorite. Too bad the Pea got shafted that night but we all know he dominated. I had a huge fight party that night. Tons of people, Mexican and American flags hanging everywhere. One of the best bashes I ever threw.

SouthPaul says:

I had Wright winning back then, and losing by robbery. When I revisited the tape years later... I too had Vargas winning a close decision.

Just saw pics of today's Canelo/Trout press conference . One thing is for certain; Canelo will be fighting a full fledged JR middle weight. He's even at a slight size disadvantage. Lmfao @ Canelo's hairdo. Lookin' like Conan O'Brien's separated twin at birth, shipped off to Mexico.

@The Roast, lefties tend to get dat-don't'any-d@mn robberies. Dangit! So many that I can name. Holla!

Showtime is really starting to make HBO look bad. Anyway I got Canelo winning by a clear UD. Trout is a soild fighter but I think Canelo us a special fighters.