Hopkins Does It Again: The Old Master Beats Cloud, UD12

BY Michael Woods ON March 09, 2013

hopkings392013Bernard Hopkins looked to KO Father Time, or at least clinch and hold him off at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn on Saturday night. That he did, but not in such a manner as to make it a foregone conclusion that he beat Tavoris Cloud in a 12 round scrap. So went to the scorecards, wondering if the judges would appreciate, truly appreciate, Hopkins' majestic ring generalship. They did: by scores of 116-112, 117-111, 116-112.

The crowd, announced at 12,293, was appreciative of the display, booing maybe once or twice even though the action a tradefest.

After the fight, he said he did it again, and was happy to do so while clean. He said he got into his rythm around round four or five and knew he was doing his thing. He gave credit to Cloud for being strong.

I scored it for Hopkins, still a master pugilist, 8-3-1, and was happy that the judges did the right thing. Hopkins breaks his own record, as the oldest man to win a title in any sport.

The six-time champ from Philly Hopkins came in with a 52-6-2 mark, and was 174.4 pounds on Friday. Cloud was 24-0 and 173.8.

Earl Brown reffed, while John Stewart, John Poturaj and Tom Schreck judged. They deserve immense credit for getting it right.

Cloud came in with the IBF light heavy title.

Golden Boy promoted the event, with Don King, and HBO televised.

In the first round, Hopkins made Cloud miss, made him wait, made him fight at his preferred pace.

In the second, Hopkins landed a sharp right and then later Cloud a left while Hopkins was backing up. Hopkins clinched a couple times, made Cloud miss in showy fashion a couple times and maybe won the round.

In the third, Hopkins again dictated pace and distance. He moved to his right, slowly but surely, and did twitch feints to keep Cloud from starting to throw. He muffled and stuffed Cloud, and again, his ring generalship carried the round.

In the fourth, Hopkins again did his thing. His sneaky right landed and while Cloud flurried a couple times, he wasn’t fighting the fight he said he would, with heavy volume and pressure. Hopkins sometimes stood tall, sometimes moved; he kept Cloud guessing.

In the fifth, Hopkins was master of the domain again. Both men landed at least one hard, clean shot, but the master muffled Cloud, made him miss one shot badly…more masterful stuff, but hard to score.

In the sixth, the doc looked at the cut on Cloud’s left eye. He let it go and Cloud’s volume was better. Hopkins still landed the jab first a few times and shook his head that Cloud wans’t bothering him.

In the seventh, Hopkins showed that he can be backed into a corner and yet have the other guy where he wants him. He clowned Cloud and the crowd roared. His sneaky gut shots were a thing of beauty to watch.

In the eighth, Cloud worked harder. Both landed clean rights but Hopkins just wasn’t busy.

In the ninth, Hopkins boxed Cloud’s tail off. Cloud watched, and waited and Hopkins would launch right when he saw Cloud getting ready to do so.

In the tenth, Cloud came forward but without true zest or efficiency. A few times Hopkins landed a lead right hand.

In the 11th, Hopkins might have won the round with his defense.

In the 12th, Hopkins didn't throw much and maybe gave the round to Cloud, who at least threw.

We went to the cards.

Andre Ward, calling for HBO, said he'd be open to a fight with Hopkins, and it would do well on HBO. He said he'd like to think he'd do better than Cloud does, because he has more dimensions to him. He'd waffled on who'd win, but said yesterday, watching film, he settled on Hopkins, because of his footwork. Hopkins after said he wouldn't fight Ward, even for  more than ten million...but Ward left the door open, wide open. For a pile for each of them, he'd do it.

B-Hop is BLING-BLING! All y'all haters just must accept that he is special and the game's top ding-a-ling. Enough from me. Hehehe! Holla!

Special for sure.
A true master.
I feel fortunate and appreciate watching him

Danggit! At that age he is still slick and quick and can whup any young d¡©k! On B-Hop, it seems like the old clock just won't tick. He and his Genie Naazim got some type of Fountain of Youth trick. And in each glove, B-Hop has a golden brick. The way he busted open Cloud's eyelids and fudged up dat mug was straight-up sick! Already fighter of the year, B-Hop is the leading PICK! Holla!

DaveB says:

Gotta give Hopkins his due. Can't wait for Hopkins vs. Ward.

fundamentals are the true buiding block in any sport.
hopkins turns his punches over and makes them sharp and accurate.
the man is a true professional.
his feints and constant spacing is phenomenal...
as is his boxing iq.
he took some good shots from cloud but he rolled with most of them decreasing their impact....

i wish i could spend a day with hopkins for a clinic on boxing and health in general

Congrats to Hopkins BUT why is he acting like Andre Ward is his brother it's as obvious a duck as ive ever seen. He always talks about his legacy what better way to cement then to beat Ward a top 3 p4p fighter gold medal winner who hasn't lost a fight since he was 12 yrs old.

Ali

I think his legacy is already cemented.

Your right Amayseng let me say it like this what better way to enhance it.

SouthPaul says:

Bowing down to the legend!

Hopkins wins, another piece of Bernie Campbell dies. Lmfao.

Carmine Cas says:

Congrats B-Hop, I want to see you win another belt at 50. Hopkins knows better then too fight Ward

deepwater says:

That was an easy pick. Hopkins is an old master who has many tools. Clouds best weapon was he was broke and wanted steak instead of baloney . Suprised everyone didn't pic Hopkins before the fight.

Again Deepwater is spittin' straight-up knowledge. Holla!

GANZ says:

South Paul said it right...WE should all Bow down to the legend! and at +165.....Chaaa-ching

there is no easy pick for a 48 year old fighting a 31 year old prime world champion.

hopkins is the true master and it is hard to argue he isnt in the top 10 of all time.

Ward or the the winner of Froch, Kessler are the only fights that would interest me

DaveB says:

Agreeing with Ali. Give Hopkins his due and let him bask in his glory for a minute but we now know that he can beat guys like these all day, everyday. The thing that makes it great is that he is beating these younger champions at his age. If he were 16 years younger these would be good victories, not sensational, but at 48 they are amazing. On a scale of 10 I would rate these guys at perhaps 7 1/2. Hopkins makes these guys fight his fight. He is very skilled at that. It doesn't happen by accident. If Hopkins were just coming back to fight one fight I would say okay but if he is going to be champ then he needs to take on all comers. Ward is not his friend. They are just two guys that respect one another, no other relationship there. They are not the Klitsckos. I think this will come up again and again being that Hopkins wants to stay in the game for serveral more years. I'm sure Ward is salivating at getting the opportunity to fight Hopkins as the Hopkins legend grows and grows. There is nothing unfair about him fighting Ward if he is willing to fight the other younger guys. Are we going to say he can pick these other guys but it wouldn't be fair to ask him to fight Ward? I know it is not Ward's personality but I wish Ward would call him out to see what he would do.

DaveB says:

Eating crow for breakfast this morning. Hopkins does it again. He knows how to lull his opponents (and audience) into a coma. All those feints, half steps and clinches. Cloud should by ashamed of himself. All he had to do was let his hand go but he just followed B-Hop around like a puppy after his master. A few times it looked like Cloud remembered what he was supposed to do and threw combinations but not enough.

It is about being slick and knowing how and when to go pick. Every arse, you cannot kick. And SOG, B-Hop won't be able to lick. Out of himself, an old master never makes a d¡©k. Holla!

The Roast, Cloud did let his hands go. But after getting popped and rocked, he decided not to do it anymore. Cloud thought that he was getting hit with elbows , while B-Hop was blasting him with perfect blows. Welcome to da show for those in da know. On B-Hop, I had my bet up high, not low. Now I got da big MONEY FLOW! Hehehe! Holla!

Ward is 168.

There should be no expectations for Hopkins to go down

Ward Hopkins would be the optimal chess match.

I feel at 175 he can pick and choose who he wants as long as they are highly rated.

mortcola says:

One little thing that kept jumping out at me: Hopkins doesn't just do it with mastery of the little neutralizing moves an old fighter/wizard knows. He also still has pretty quick hands and reflexes, even compared to the boys in their prime. And he's doing it against BIG guys now. Kind of amazing.

Ward is 168.

There should be no expectations for Hopkins to go down

Ward Hopkins would be the optimal chess match.

mortcola says:

Bhop held court again.. defying the odds while mesmerising Cloud who thought he could box a legend instead of out working him. Cloud allowed Bhop the luxury of taking his time and picking the point of engagement.

Damn you Bhop.

Watching the fight was like watching a golf tournament as the announcers called the fight in hushed tones while the Pro Bhop crowd gave their cordial approval with subdued ooooos and aaahs every time the old master Bhop feinted Cloud out of jock or slipped in a corrective right hand the way a parent slaps an incorrigible child when they misbehave one time too many..

Nazim uttering instructions in code that'll surely make their way onto the silver screen some day...
Pop the chain.....wipe his nose with the left...and stick him with the Joe Louis??....wow..
Bhop held court like a distinguished elder statesman after the fight and bestowed Andre Ward with reassurance that no amount of money could ever make him fight the former Olympian...
I'm sure Ward now sleeps better these days....lol

As much as I hate being wrong it's always a pleasure watching Bhop win.
He doesn't deal much damage these days.. and barely breaks the proverbial sweat as much as he breaks the will and confidence of younger fighters....lucky for Ward that Bhop considers him a friend and chooses not to destroy the young pup.

Carry-on Pops-Bhop... the only fighter today who is worthy of giving a Role-model's anti drug message to kids....and a warning to title challengers simultaneously...." I destroy young fighters"
Come on back so I can pick against you again.

Amazing is the only word to describe Bhop

Good post brown sugar.

Good post brown sugar.

Thanks...If Bhop fights Kovalev... I'll not only pick against him... I'll bet money too.

DaveB says:

Funny retort Radam B I mean G.

Aha! You got me, DaveG -- I mean B. Hehehe! Good one! Holla!

SouthPaul says:

I wouldn't brag too much...seen plenty of easy pics picked wrong by you.

deepwater says:

Hopkins walks away when you want to hit him. Hopkins holds,chokes,leans all his weight on your neck all in an artful fashion. Watching Hopkins feints and footwork before he powers in with an elbow or head is like watching an artist make a masterpiece . No one rolls over Hopkins . Bad chad flipped him but no one rolls over Hopkins . I hope he gets to 50 and wins a belt.

SouthPaul says:

Interesting comments made by Hopkins when he gave a shout out to Showtime. He says... I need a home. Also would have loved to hear what exactly he woofed over at Don King.

deepwater says:

I wouldn't brag too much...seen plenty of easy pics picked wrong by you.
I'm not bragging. I said Hopkins easy befor the fight and I am/was surprised not too many on here picked Hopkins .what does cloud do special that would beat Hopkins. I get some wrong so does everyone

SouthPaul says:

I thought his higher work rate would see him thru and apparently so did Hopkins which is why he said in the post fight interview he decided to step up his pace. Smart move. The man is brilliant. I ain't tripping off his age. Numbers are usually misleading. I'm simply impressed with his overall discipline and his life perseverance. That's what's truly amazing about Bernard Hopkins (the HBO was driving the age subject into the ground ).

I declare it national Bernard Hopkins day. Holla' Bernie Campbell!

bernie campbell might be in a county jail somewhere awaiting arraignment for flipping his lid in a local bar after the fight last night...

numbers are misleading but the man is 48 and my God should change his name from the executioner to "the master"

Deepwater is a smooth operator for certain. He sneaked into a 1,000-posts like butter. KaBOOM! He KMSO! I was gonna holla to everybodee and dey momma about a thousand coming when he got to 998, but he blindsided me with the jab and lit me up with a cross, and a wiped my mug with a hook. And I just woke up at the count of 1,045. Hehehe!

Congrads, DW, and mad belated welcomes to the Thousand-Post Club, you're a real BOKSIN' G! Holla!

Bernie Campbell says:

Just to give you a heads up friscoes, I was at the Barclay that night, later on, The HBO conglomerate dubbed Hopkins interview comments about kids not doing "drugs" to be champion! In reality he said for kids to not "smoke" to be champion! Whether he meant Marijuana or he meant ciggaretts, it might have been a double endendre, and only Hopkins knew what he was saying. Why did HBO interject in the replay interview, drugs instead of smoke? Its academic that youre not gonna be champion if you do drugs, any fool knows that. Were they trying to get the focus off what Hopkins meant, like pot, a "harmless substance" with more epidemic negative effects, and socially more acceptable according to those with special interests Especially those who profit by mass control? Maybe he just meant ciggaretts! The powers that be can be manipulating! I wish that article on Chavez' marijuana use was still posted! My hat off to Hopkins who had the guts to say it before it got censored! Believe it, it did happen!

deepwater says:

Thanks Radam it's good to be part of the club

maybe i missed it bernie but if you watch the post fight press conference bhop talks about child obesity in america and how it is a problem, stating he wants to show that at 48 living cleanly with no drugs, eating properly great things can be achieved...

i was impressed...

he isnt winning belts for bragging rights,

he is making a statement, discipline, health, persistance, can achieve greatness.
no cheating or drugs necessary

Thanks Radam it's good to be part of the club

Welcome in Deep, I always enjoy your posts. I thought you were going to be R.O.T.Y. 2012 but you do tend to rage against the machine a bit so the safe choice was made. Keep on doin your thing, you are a credit to this site. TSS top of the food chain!

Carmine Cas says:

As stated previously, Hopkins' legend is already cemented, he doesn't need to fight Ward. But if he does I see it as a tough tough fight for B-Hop. I have said this before; Ward is a beast, he's a complete boxer and his ring IQ is high. "Friscoes" lmfao

deepwater says:

thanks Roast. same here.

SouthPaul says:

Bouie Fisher ... Dead but not forgotten as who trained Bernard Hopkins for most of his careeer. Got much respect for brother Naz Richardson but think that's worth mentioning .

admin says:

FROM JOE REIN:

B-Hop turned a raging tiger into a capon. Never let him get set. Made it look easy. Showed the full bag of veteran tricks. Should be required viewing for young fighters.

Picked Cloud before hand, but oohed 'n aahed at B-Hops mastery.

As the rounds wore on, Cloud could rightly have sung: "I CAN'T GET STARTED WITH YOU"

Think Keith Thurman's the goods: Great hand speed, combos, wicked body punching 'n leverage. (plus media wise, he shows Andre Ward potential) He beat the hell out of a gritty veteran with a clam defense who kept marching forward under withering fire.

Zavek didn't have a whiff of Thurman's talent, but he showed the courage of a lion; and may have exposed Thurman's Achiles Heel: a looping right over Thurman's low left, after jabbing.

An opponent with a heavy right might make Thurman look like Louis against Schmeling in their first fight.

deepwater says:

dude, dont pick fights based on emotion. use facts and logic. what tools did cloud have? not many. Thurman failed. one time couldnt knock out a euro punching bag while landing 50% of his power punches. one time failed. its funny watching thurman call out paulie with shaefer hyping thurman. paulie is mad and losing it because he is being cashed out and he knows it. gb wants nothing more to do with him. hold on hold on I just laughed so hard I threw up. thurman is a young ward? bwahhahahahaahhahahahah hahahahahaa wait wait .... bwaahahahahahahaaa a hahahahahaahaha. "dont duck me son!" = ward. hahahahaa I just threw up again.

I sincerely believe that the feather-punching Paulie would kayo the "One-Time" hype. Dude could barely shake an "euro punching bag," and that bag HIT his arse back tons of times. Thurman is made to order for a conventional fighter's missile-like right cross, torpedo-like right hook, nuke-like right inside uppercut and even a right-bytch swing.

Paulie would kayo dat sucka so hard that the canvas would sing. Hehehe! Boxing is "the threatre of the unexpected," especially for the don't-know-that-in-the-first-place jokers.

BTW, Broner would beat Thurman easier than Paulie, if he can beat Paulie at all. My jury is still out on that one. Broner doesn't fool me. I know how to see. Looking is for a rope-a-dope, using GOAT Ali's old trick. Broner is not slick. A movin'-and-grovin' Magicman would made look like a d1ck! Hehehehe! Holla!

i agree i think broner is gonna have his work cut out for him.

i can see paulie moving and boxing scoring points all night..

rees hit broner a ridiculous amount of times, he just has no power,

paulie isnt a power puncher but he isnt 5'5 135 either..

leverage and height are advantages

This is the first time... in a very long time that I've seen an audience actually appreciate his work .......as if they knew what to expect in advance from Bhop... the overwhelming support was palpable and the house looked packed on screen. Which is probably why Bernard was more sedate than usual after the fight as if his quest for recognition has finally been satisfied. Cloud was solid ... but not quite good enough.. there was no reason for him to lose except for the fact he couldn't let his hands go and turn it into a dog fight. Instead he let Bhop take the lead and became his greatest follower. Cloud was more concerned about conservating energy than taking matters into his own hands....
Bhop wrestles guys to make them respect his strength.. then finesses them with the threat of being able to do damage... and the rouse is still working well.

Thurman displayed good discipline and the necessary stamina to go 12rounds which shows he doesn't depend on KO power alone.. the kid prepared well. .....but Still a work in progress... he is coming along nicely at the tender age of 23 and he articulates as well as a college grad. Let him fight for a title now...he's ready and eager...if he falls ...he young enough to rise again. Well lunch is over..time to punch in...

Carmine Cas says:

Paulie will def give a broner a tough time if he has anything left in his legs, it'll be a nice little test for him. Boxing, movement, left hand, not pressuring the philly shell fighter is the key to success

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

I was in the minority group of TSS posters that predicted B-Hop to win. However, I thought it would be by split decision or majority decision and never had a clue that B-Hop would win unanimously. Watching B-Hop school Cloud last night was like watching Yoda from Star Wars destroy an over ambitious young Jedi Knight! Hopkins is defenitely top 10 P4P material "all-time" and won't truly be appreciated until he retires.

Hilarious..SRD well said

Exactly SRD.

I mentioned he should be referred to not as the executioner anymore, but as

"the Master".