Notes and Nuggets

BY Thomas Hauser ON March 05, 2013

ChavezJrMatinez DerrickHogan 41Boxrec.com is boxing’s indispensable website and the most heavily-trafficked boxing website in the world. Its main competition (such as it is) comes from Fight Fax, which is the only record-keeper whose reports are officially accepted by members of the Association of Boxing Commissions in the United States. Boxrec is free to users. Fight Fax is a pay-for-use service.

Every state athletic commission in America is required by law to send bout results, suspensions, and federal ID numbers to Fight Fax (as are ABC associate members in Canada). Boxrec tries to get this information. Some commissions provide it to the site as a matter of course. Some send it upon request. A few commissions refuse to send the information to Boxrec even when asked.

ABC president Tim Lueckenhoff says, “All our member commissions have been asked to submit results to both Boxrec and Fight Fax. I believe it is even contained in the minutes of the ABC meeting from South Carolina several years ago. However, some commission refuse to send those results [to Boxrec]. There are just a handful that I am aware of. I think all commissions use Boxrec as a reference, but not as the official record keeper. Therefore, it is in the best interest of the sport for all commissions to send their results to both. It is just a few key strokes to get that done, as we all know.””

New Jersey, by virtue of its hosting fights in Atlantic City, is the most visible of the states that refuse to send bout results and suspensions to Boxrec. Neither Aaron Davis (director of the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board) nor Deputy Attorney General Nick Lembo (counsel for the NJSACB) returned telephone calls asking about the reasons for their refusal.

Perhaps that’s because there’s no good explanation.

*     *     *

The Nevada State Athletic Commission embarrassed itself on February 28, 2013, when it fined Julio Cesar Chavez Jr $900,000 and suspended him for nine months because he tested positive for marijuana use after his September 15, 2012, fight against Sergio Martinez.

Chavez, of course, started the idiocy when he smoked grass and, after testing positive, proclaimed, “I have never smoked marijuana. For years, I have had insomnia, so I went to the doctor and he prescribed some drops for me that contained cannabis. I stopped taking them before the fight with Martinez, and I didn't think I was going to test positive.”

Then the grandstanding WBC got into the act, announcing on October 3, 2012, that it had fined Chavez $20,000 and ordered him to enter a drug rehabilitation center.

Chavez responded, “I do not condone what the World Boxing Council said, about their desire to send me to rehab. That's for drug addicts, and I'm not. The Council has not even seen me. How can they say that?"

Perhaps some of the people who pull the strings at the WBC could enter an eating disorder clinic.

But back to Nevada.

Last week, Chavez belatedly and penitently explained his marijuana use to the Nevada State Athletic Commission as follows: "I was told it would help my stress. I was tense for the fight and someone mentioned it to me and that's why I did it eight or nine days before the fight. I couldn't tell you the exact reason why I did it. I just can tell you I was under a lot of stress and had family problems, a lot of things going on in my life. It was the biggest mistake and I'll never do it again."

Chavez also told the commission that he hadn’t smoked marijuana before any other fight, but declined to say whether he’d smoked marijuana at any time in his life other than “eight or nine days” before the Martinez fight.

Nine hundred thousand dollars? For smoking marijuana?

Let’s get real! What do you think would happen if all NSAC commissioners and commission employees were subjected to random testing for recreational drug use?

As for the WBC; maybe Jose Sulaiman and his executive committee will ask the Nevada commission for three percent of the $900,000 fine as a sanctioning fee.

*     *     *

With the baseball season fast approaching, it seems appropriate to reference what Top Rank’s extraordinary director of public relations Lee Samuels describes as his greatest moment in sports outside of boxing.

“I played second base for the Kurland’s Drug Store team in the Pennsville [New Jersey] Little League,” Samuels recalls. “We wore white jerseys with blue trim. Across the front, it said “Kurland’s.” I was very proud to wear that jersey. I couldn’t hit or field well, but I loved being on the team.”

“My father was a rough guy,” Lee continues. “He wasn’t a people person. He’d been in the Army for seven years and fought in World War II. When I was growing up, he watched wrestling on television every Friday night and loved it. We played catch occasionally, but that was about all. We never went to a ballgame together or anything like that. And he’d never come to any of my games.”

“This time, I rode my bike to the game. And there he was, standing on the first baseline. In my first at bat, I hit the hardest ball I’d ever hit. It bounced over the fence in left field for a ground-rule double. That was it as far as moments of glory are concerned. To be honest, I don’t think I ever hit a home run. A few years later, I got to high school and saw my first curve ball. I just stood there and said to myself, ‘Oh, my God. This isn’t going to work.’ That’s when I stopped playing baseball and started writing.”

*     *     *

Do you remember when Manny Pacquiao was criticized in some circles because he supposedly was avoiding “slick African-American fighters” as opponents?

Floyd Mayweather has fought one African-American opponent (an aging Shane Mosley) since April 2006. And Adrien Broner, who’s being touted as Mayweather’s heir apparent, has faced only one African American (John Redish) in his last fourteen fights. In fact, as best I can tell, “The Problem” has fought only five African Americans (Henry White Jr, Eric Ricker, Terrance Jett, and Allante Davis being the others) in his entire 26-bout pro career. As of this writing, those five Broner opponents have a composite ring record of 21 wins in 69 fights.

*     *     *

THINGS YOU’LL NEVER READ ON A BOXING WEBSITE

Our regular baby-sitter isn’t available, so we’ve asked Roger Mayweather to take care of the kids tonight.

Thomas Hauser can be reached by email at thauser@rcn.com. His most recent book (And the New: An Inside Look at Another Year in Boxing) was published by the University of Arkansas Press.

SouthPaul says:

Puff puff ...pass it. JCC Jr., smoked The worlds most expensive joint.

Boxrec: The front page is pretty cluttered but other than that it's a great site.

deepwater says:

THe state of nevada is broke just like Michigan. Michigan just seized detroit. this has nothing to do with weed. This has to do with the state government is broke. seriously broke. This is a money grab and nothing more. forget about weed and nonsense. This is economics run amok

Spinach Chin says:

I wonder what punishment Eloy Perez got for testing positive for cocaine after he fought Broner.

FIRST! Boxrec is shady and shaky. You get what you pay for. FightFax is dependable. Boxrec allows crazy jive oftentimes after one in da know gives Boxrec the straight-up, heads up, correct skinny. FightFax doesn't play that game. If it's not real, FightFax's space and time, a bytch-arse propaganda peddler won't steal. But Boxrec will jump da gun with every Tom, Dick and Harry small fry shouting a dumb-arse lie.

WOW! Double fudge da Sin City stanks -- I mean Yanks. WTF! They are so full of Yanky panky -- I mean hanky panky.

Money May is found dirty a few years ago, and the cheats move the testosterone level from four to six to save the Sin City cashcow from embarrassment. Danggit! A couple of weeks ago, Micky Bey Jr -- a Money May promoted fighters -- goes through the roof top with syet in him. And now the SC stanks are busy trying to drop cover it up. MBJ went ballistic with the roids and PEDs. His testosterone level was over by 24. Dat mutha____ was 30. Fine dat bytch 30 percent of his purse for the rest of his career. Hehehehe!

And OMFG! Now these broke-d*ck stanks are shakin' down the son of a Mexican legend. I challenge the scribes to investigate how many fighters came up with pot in their jive last year and have been fined 900thou?

That is what I thought -- NONE! Holla!

deepwater says:

The mafia does not care which drug is used or what rule is broken that isnt the point. the thing the mafia looks for when determining who they are going to rob depends on the amount of money held. chavez jr has alot of money. chavez jr will also make alot of money. therefor the mafia sees alot of money that they can take. please my apoligies to the mafia I ment to say The state. the nevada state commision to be exact. always remember folks its not about the rules or lack or rules,its about how much money they can get their hands on. Apply this whenevr the state is envolved. The State
is the great fiction
through which everybody
endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." Bastiat"..............................................................

ps. eloy perez has no money to seize therefor who gives an f about eloy and his coke. no money held-no money to be siezed- the state could care less.

nice point Deep....(economics)

Broner is good but has a ways to go... most of the great ones fought all styles.. the runners, the tanks, the boxers, and the defensive wizards. Even Floyd fought the whole gambut of styles before moving up to welter. Broner needs variety to reach true greatness,.............. if he expects to only match guys who will just let him set up in the pocket.. he'll be waiting a long time between fights. I'd like to see him fight guys like Abril and Vasquez... not as thrilling,... but better experience for the Broner.

deepwater says:

nice point Deep....(economics)

You are right. Broner at 26-0 vs Floyd at 26-0 is no comparison .nice fish dinner getting ready for summer huh

Yessir......especially when it's on sale.

Bernie Campbell says:

Marijauna is a paralizing detriment to progress in society! If Chavez jr skates, it sanctions illegal substance shock waves throughout boxing and society at large! That noise has to be nipped in the bud with no tolerance! I remember when Pot was brought out of the Ghetto and Commercialized through the Media back in the 60s! It retarded the nation! Tune in, Turn On, Drop Out was the order of the day! Alot of people believe the substance is harmless, but it breeds lethargicness,compromises reaction time, distorts prioritizing, anchors emotional escape mechanisms. It sends a negative message to the youth, it was a tool by the powers that be to control segments in the population that posed a threat to the status quo. Jackass Bob Arum made excuses for Julio Jr., Howd that clown like it if his children were users or abusers he doesnt think about that! Or the ripple effect that it causes with ignorance, crime, mental health costs with its users!
Its not all relative man, When you smoke a joint you affect me, you affect your environment, its not an individual thing. Furthermore if I was a professional prize fighter and I had to protect myself from those bombs coming in at tremendous force that could do serious damage to me, I would definitely make it a point to condition myself to alertness to protect ny health and livlihood, No Mas!