Malik Scott Draws With Czar Glazkov on NBC Cable

BY Michael Woods ON February 24, 2013

Main-EventsMalik Scott has one of the better jabs in the business, and he used it to fine effect in the main event at The Paramount in Huntington, Long Island, New York Saturday night. I thought he clearly won after ten rounds against Czar Glazkov, who plodded after Scott but was never able to solve the taller, more experienced hitter...but the judges saw it otherwise.

By scores of 98-92 (Scott), 96-94 (Glazkov) and 95-95, they decided on a draw.

Czar after said thru a translator that he thinks he won. He said Malik was "running." Scott said he wasn't running. He said he has skills like Ali and Mayweather, and noted that Czar is a Main Events fighter and they promoted the show. He said Czar's face tells the tale: "I'll stop this kid next time. He's lucky this went the distance."

Scott went 161-397 to 127-463 for Czar. Seven or more times out of ten, the guy who throws more wins the fight, something that all trainers should inform their fighters of.

The fight ran on the NBC Sports Network "NBC Fight Night," and was put on by Main Events. Eddie Claudio was the ref.

In the first, Scott (age 32; 225 pounds; from Philly; 35-0 entering) looked to pop the jab on Glazkov (from the Ukraine; 220 pounds; 14-0 entering; age 28). He wanted to keep Czar at bay. Scott is skilled, but can tend to go into robot mode: efficient but lacking in fire and aggression. The jabber Scott moved smartly to get his punches off and get to a safe zone. Could Czar do something to disrupt Malik's rhythm? He didn't through three, but in fourth he got his timing down some. Malik didn't jab as much and that helped Czar. The younger man closed the distance, tired Scott out by making him work early maybe more than he wanted to.

Malik cranked out a sneaky quick left hook to the body from a distance to start the sixth. He shook his head a couple times in round seven and eight when Czar landed, indicating he wasn't bothered. That long, fast jab stayed in Czar's face till the end, and we went to the cards.

Crazy busy Chris Algieri beat Jose Peralta before the heavyweight scrap. He threw over a hundred punches a round, and was rewarded by scores of 96-94, 97-93, 98-92 in front of his hometown fans.

I've watched a couple of Glazkovs victories and was especially impressed when he ran Tor Hamer out of the ring a couple months ago(with claiming a sprained back or a sprung toe). The babyfaced battler looked very much like another in a long line of unstoppable Eastern Block bangers whose Olympic predigree and solid amateur background from an early age makes them the favorite no matter who the opposition is.

I knew little of Malik Scott since he's been off from 2008 untill 2012, having 3 fights last year with his best opponent being the hard hitting yet raw slugger, Bowie Topou.

I didn't know what to expect from a fighter who is 35 and 0 but hasn't made a huge impact on the sport. (after watching Scott, I'd pick him to stop Wilder, not because he hits hard,.. he doesn't, but because he's such a well rounded boxer)

Glazkov never stopped his determined assault but was out-finessed over most of the 10 round bout. Malik is one of the rare heavyweights that knows the importance of using a stiff jab to control tempo and space. Larry Holmes would have been proud.
It wasn't the worst robbery I've seen, anything from a UD to a Majority Decison, to even a Split would have been fair as the bout was competitive......but a draw smacks loudly of hometown cooking.
I'd like to see a rematch sometime before the year is out... it would probably be a toss-up as the younger Glazkov still has room for growth.

deepwater says:

Algeri finally Impressed me. That was his first live guy and even though he has no power he used his tools to win. He took heavy shots but stuck to his stick and move . throwing so many punches that the judges have no choice to give the round to him . Let's see him against another live guy around his size. Scott is a good boxer with a good jab. Too bad he doesn't have a follow up right hand with power or he could be champ. Larry Holmes jab was so quick and he put that jazz on it.scott has good jab but it's not special and has no jazz.

Algeri was so busy it was hard watch...(the fight was literally difficult to keep up with) . in fact I still haven't watched the whole fight yet. but I have it recorded... both guys were busy and seemingly had an inexhaustible fuel tank.

It looked to me like Scott did enough to win.

Carmine Cas says:

I was at the paramount, great atmosphere, I think Scott won as well. He outpunched him and landed the cleaner punches, he had a great jab he should have doubled it up. It sucks that he doesn't have any power. Algeri looked good, he has good ring movement and generalship, he needs to sit on his punches more and commit to them. His jab was not even breaking the defense of his opponent. It was good fight for him though, he got pushed

clint says:

One of the biggest robberies I have seen in boxing. But, hey! I'm a younger guy.

Malik had an exemplary attitude about being ripped off, saying he'd keep working hard for next fight. As was said on air, no need for a rematch, because Malik Scott scored a clean win.

With his demonstrated attitude and skill that night, this guy is someone to watch.

-Clint