HOPKINS: "It Is My Legacy I Want To Protect"

BY The Sweet Science ON February 19, 2013

hop-cloudBernard Hopkins chatted with media during an open workout in Philly today.

"Tavoris Cloud is an aggressive young fighter. I heard him at the press conference in New York City. He described himself as the Mike Tyson of this era.

"I have been on a path that I keep my body on the right track and duck more punches than I take. I can fight until I am 50 years old. The less you get hit, the more you can speak and count your money.

"I am going to be glad and excited to be at Barclays Center. It is the new Mecca of Boxing in New York. It used to be the hood. Now it is known as 'Hello Brooklyn.'

"I get a chance to leave my legacy in Brooklyn. Not only am I honored, but I have earned that.

"I am past the stage of breaking records. It is my legacy that I want to protect. It is important to me that in my last couple of fights I didn't put myself on the line by doing one third of the work that I have put in all of these years. I refuse to surrender to that kind of mentality.

"Anyone that can beat me, any one that can embarrass me, will become an instant star.

"I believe that Cloud's aggressiveness will make this an action packed fight because he is thinking of himself as number one because he has the belt. He needs to come in and make adjustments to my style. If he can't make adjustments, you will see a repeat of the Kelly Pavlik fight.

"I am different. I have set records and broken records. I have to concentrate not only on what I did yesterday, but what I am going to do tomorrow.

"People ask me, 'What does it feel like to be 48?' I say that I don't know because if you ask most people in their late forties or even late thirties how they feel, they might say they are ready to die because they aren't healthy and don't have the longevity like me. You can't put me in the same category as a regular guy.

"I don't expect Cloud to dance like Ali. I don't expect him to do anything to buy time. I expect him to come forward. That is what I would do if I was 30 fighting someone who is almost 50.

"I have to stay busy and I will win every round. The cat is out of the bag because I am not coming to get beaten up.

"There is no one saying that I am going to get blown out on March 9, when I step into that ring. There is no one saying that I am going to lose the fight. They are saying that Tavoris Cloud's style is my forte. Cloud comes forward and throws bombs and anyone I have fought that comes forward, I have beaten. The only thing they are saying is that 'He is 48.'

"Maybe I will go down a pound or two before I leave this sport, or maybe I will help my partners at Golden Boy and help them find new talent as a promoter or maybe I will find a little fat stomach that makes me look like I am retired.

"There is a lot working against me, but there is also a lot working for me. I have the conditioning to adjust to the times. The game didn't change, but I am ready to face someone that is young enough to be my son and in some cases, my grandson.

"I am leading the 40-and-up club. There are a lot of 40-year-olds rooting for me because they have interns looking over their shoulders trying to take their jobs.

"I am living out what we talked about 10 or 15 years ago. I knew I was going to be here. We talked about this moment. I knew I could do this. I know I can still win or compete on this level.

"I love this game and sometimes love can hurt. I am so competitive; I know I have the body and skills to still do this."

# # #

Hopkins vs. Cloud, a 12-round fight for Cloud's IBF Light Heavyweight World Championship will take place Saturday, March 9 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn. The event is promoted by Golden Boy Promotions in association with Don King Productions and sponsored by Corona, AT&T and Ford. The HBO World Championship Boxing telecast begins at 9:30 p.m. ET/PT. The co-main event will be a 12-round fight between top rated undefeated contender Keith Thurman and former World Champion Jan Zaveck for Zaveck's WBO Intercontinental Welterweight Championship.

Tickets, priced at $200, $100, $85, $50 and $25, plus applicable taxes and service charges, are available for purchase at www.barclayscenter.com, www.ticketmaster.com, the American Express Box Office at Barclays Center, all Ticketmaster locations or by calling 800-745-3000.

B-Hop is another ATG that cyberspace lovers of myths about yesteryears' fighter hate. Holla!

def an all time great...

i love bhop, mad respect for not only his boxing career but overcoming a bad past.

Bernie Campbell says:

Legacy? Like stealing Chump Change from Old Ladies? From sticking your finger in phone booth and soda machine dispensers for a 40! For going into convenience stores and stealing cologne, for taking young girls pocketbooks, for selling spliffs that you half loaded with oregano, for being the rascist you are! You aint no hero of mine, I dont think Allah is as forgiving as me!

He, who has not sin, cast the first stone. And I recall hearing a song with the lyrics in it: "We don't uh-nother HEEEERRROOO! Haha!

Who was that frisco? Holla!

Bernie Campbell says:

Friscoe talks himself up all the time! Full of himself! Islam teaches humility! Maybe thats the kind of legacy he wants to leave behind for the kids! Overstate your limited abilities and let evreybody think you are it! Sh.....

Bernie Campbell says:

SouthPaul says:

I once stole cologne. The tester bottle . Stuck sucka' in my pocket and rolled out...smelling good like a muthafucka' later that day. Ladies were digging it. Forgive me, Bernie, I was a broke kid at the time. Holla, mijo!

Bernie Campbell says:

The only difference between you and Friscoe Hopkins is that you probably wanted to attract people, Friscoe Hopkins wanted some stanky sh.. to repell people chicken sh.. that he was!

Back in da day, when I was a sinful five-year-old Friscoe, I stole a $1,000 bill outta myTaiwanese great uncle's rich-arse pocket. He didn't miss it. So when we flew to the U.S.A., I gave it to an old-bag lady outside my uncle's diamond shop in San Francisco. That old tiger woman took me into the shop and snitched me out like a bytch.

My uncle whipped my little @$$ and gave that old hag three-crisp 100-dollar bills, gave me three-crisp 50-dollar bills and told me to go to the mall with the old woman. She first took me up to her appartment, and started taking off old syet. OMG! That woman was my 25-year-old nanny.

Moral of the story: I just want to tell that jive. Hehehe! Did I ever tell yall about the music video -- "Remember The Time" -- that kid Radam was in with the late, great singer Michael Jackson, basketballer "Magic" Johnson and moviestars Iman and Eddie Murphy? I got a thousand dollars for that gig without an @$$ whuppin.' Holla!

SouthPaul says:

I laughed out loud for real at the moral of the story comment ...lmfao. Now let me YouTube that video to see if I can find this mysterious man we call Radam.

come on radam just tell us which kid you were in that video, its like 9 mins long, no way i have that type of time

ha

ha

I'm the second lightest-skinned dude. The lightest is the late, great MJ! Hehe! He looked most Asian than my high-yellow @ss! Hehehe! Holla!