P4P Trashtalker Broner Slaps Gamboa, Marquez, Rees

BY Michael Woods ON February 12, 2013

BronerDeMarco Hogan76I am an Adrien Broner fan, let's get that out of the way.

I think the world of his skills, and I enjoy his yapping, preferring the cocky rap and the insult stream toward foes and the humility-free boastings and, as with Floyd Mayweather, the way he keeps writers off balance, to an earnest but boring hitter spewing cliche combos.

Like at BB King's on Tuesday, at a press conference to hype his Saturday clash at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, against Gavin Rees...Broner at one moment said that just as one wouldn't need to learn the name of the gal you're hooking up with, he sees no need to learn the name of his foe...and then a bit later said that he had a galpal, and was happy with just one squeeze.

Or when he told a group of writers during a sitdown that he doesn't get hassled when he walks around Cinci, because, "I'm well respected from my early days"  and then followed that with an admonition to the kids to stay on the straight and narrow.

I doubt we see any contradictions in the ring Saturday, on the Golden Boy show, as I expect Rees to be a step too slow of foot and hand to give the 135 pound lightweight champ much trouble.

The 32-year-old Rees, there with promoter Eddie Hearn,  promised to stop Broner but didn't lose his cool after being belittled for being short and having Broner pretend to not know his name. He told me, in an interview to run on The Boxing Channel, that he fully expects to win, not a shred of doubt in him.

Broner entertained the writers with slams on Yuriorkis Gamboa, who he slammed for being a PED user, and said that PED use in boxing is a "helluva problem." It's no fair, he said, for guys who train the hard way to be facing off with corner-cutters.

"I don't even take vitamins," Broner bragged.

He said he'd like meet Juan Manuel Marquez, maybe at the end of the year, but that he'd force Marquez to do stringent testing, and figures that the Mexican's physique wouldn't be as ripped as it was for the last Pacquiao fight.

"He wouldn't come in looking like LT," he said, "looking like a linebacker."

A unification fight against Ricky Burns could well come first, though, before he moves up in weight.

It is best to interpret Broner as though he's playing a role, rather than take every sentence as gospel. He playfully told us that he liked baseball most, when he played it, when he was stealing bases. The implication, the reference to a past which he hasn't yet revealed, which featured a jail stint, was that stealing is fun. Er, and the message to the kids who might be following you? "You're not in trouble if you don't get caught," he said, chuckling, his voice indicating he was winking at us.

Taking a page from Floyd Mayweather, he waffled between ultra-cockiness, and humility, admitting that in three fights, he'd gotten tagged but good, including against Ponce de Leon and Antonio Demarco.

Some future fights we might see, he said, included bouts against Marquez, Robert Guerrero or Brandon Rios. A fight with Manny Pacquiao, he said, would of course do good business. He said no to an intra-promotional fight against Danny Garcia.

He said that his best ring attribute is probably his brain, that he out-thinks his foes, and that braininess was on display when he told us that he was saving some chapters of his story for down the line, maybe for a 24-7. He admitted that yes, there had been a time when he'd been a gun owner, but now he has a security detail which takes care of the holding for him.

"I did everything, but I did a 720, two spins," he said.

Yep, I admit, I'm a Broner fan. He might make me cringe once or twice, but he doesn't commit that most cardinal of sins...he doesn't bore me.

PS Check out this Boxing Channel interview in which I try to tempt him, with $30 million, into fighting Floyd Mayweather.

deepwater says:

I am an Adrien Broner fan, let's get that out of the way.
Or when he told a group of writers during a sitdown that he doesn't get hassled when he walks around Cinci, because, "I'm well respected from my early days" and then followed that with an admonition to the kids to stay on the straight and narrow.
The 32-year-old Rees, there with promoter Eddie Hearn, promised to stop Broner but didn't lose his cool after being belittled for being short and having Broner pretend to not know his name. He told me, in an interview to run on The Boxing Channel, that he fully expects to win, not a shred of doubt in him.
"I don't even take vitamins," Broner bragged.
"He wouldn't come in looking like LT," he said, "looking like a linebacker."
"I did everything, but I did a 720, two spins," he said.

So the writer must have a crush on mayorga also. Remember the days when two boxers would meet up dressed in suits, actually talked in English and proper language and let their fist do the at talking. Floyd plays the heel pretty good. Broner don't know the names of the girls he bangs,you know he doesn't know how to buy a jimmy because he keeps hitting these chicks raw and popping out bastard kids. It's funny to watch a grown man brag how stupid he is. Broner has a way to go before he is p4p. This site is turning more like tmz. Good boxing and good sportsmanship are taking a backseat to idiots talking junk and bragging how stupid they are. In the twisted logic of some fans who never boxed, they like the sh7t talking and the nonsense rather then good boxing. Hardcore fans role their eyes at this dime a dozen stuff. Broner let your fist do the talking. Guns are good tools. Criminals need to get shot.good gun control is needed. To shoot them between the eyes!

Wow! Usual copy. But I guess confession is good for the soul. Holla!

Deepwater how many fighters actually talked proper english? Most of them came from nothing so knock it off with that bullshit!t. Pac English is fu©king terrible I don't ever recall u saying anything about his grammar.

Wow! There you go again with your lack of KNOWLEDGE, SCLA Ali! In the first place, English is Da Manny's four language and he can beat your @ss speaking it correctly any day of the week. And when it comes to writing it, you don't cannot carry his pencil or keyboard. An accent has nothing to do with knowledge and know how. There are people that cannot speak a single word vocally, but will fudge you up with written and sign language.

Lastly, boxing is stereotype as having illiterate types, but has more college graduates than football, baseball and basketball combine.

C'mon, TSS superscribes. You guys need to write about all the pugilists that have PhDs, JDs, Doctors of medicine, DVDs, MAs, MSes, BAs, BSes, AAs and ASes.

Pinoy hater SCLA Ali, you oughta know before you blow! Both Da Manny and Juan Manuel Marquez are OWNERS OF COLLEGE DEGREES. What about you? Off the top of my head, I can name 10 present beltholders with master degrees and above. Name me 10 active football players who can match that. Around the world, boxing is still a college sport, as it use to be in the USA, and still is at all the U.S. military universities and still several colleges. Holla!

@ali there should be no pride in banging unknown chicks when you have like 5 kids from 5 different girls or whatever it is.

Instead of broner being embarrassed for his irresponsibility stupidness he is proud of it like no other man has been with numerous sluts before.

The guy has no shame.

He has some skills I agree,

but in my eyes he already has one loss to Ponce.

The guy wants to be a G from the hood but instead he's from Cinci,

I grew up in Cleveland, that's a joke to me.

And I'm white.

Amayseng lmao!! I understand where your coming from but at 23 im pretty sure alot of us was doing sh!t we ain't proud I now. And let me tell I somethen I've been to Cinci and it's alot crazier then I might think.

Radam, Deepwater is a grown a$$ man he doesn't need I to come and save him. Another thing where only talking about speakingENGLISH!! Leon Spinks, How Frazier, Tommy Hearns ect. Radam if I speak the way I write I damn sho don't speak proper English

deepwater says:

Radam, Deepwater is a grown a$$ man he doesn't need u to come and save him. Another thing im only talking about speaking PROPER ENGLISH!! Leon Spinks, Joe Frazier, Tommy Hearns ect didnt speak proper english( im talking about black people too) Radam if u speak the way u write u damn sho don't speak proper English.

hey there is alot in my post to pick on but your making it racist. I agree with you other boxers sound retarded as well regardless the color of their skin. Broner isnt talking proper english. he is using cliches and saying stupid things just to shock people. he might be playing the role of a fool or he might be a damn fool. tommy hearns spoke just fine and said what he had to as well as the other dudes, even camacho spoke better english. its not the accent or the pronunciation its the subject being talked about. if I said broner is a fool and says 50 cent instead of 50 cents then you would be right 100% but I didnt.

Amayseng lmao!! I understand where your coming from but at 23 im pretty sure alot of us was doing sh!t we ain't proud of now. And let me tell u somethen I've been to Cinci and it's alot crazier then u might think.

I've been to Cinci. There are numerous cities that are tough.

I was 20 when my son was born, I dropped out of college and baseball to care for him when his mom bailed. I was 21.

It was 3 years till I went back to school as a single parent.

So at 23, yes I expect more from anyone, especially a parent.

SCLA Ali, you are a super phony and ___ ____! Quit being a dumb-@ss _____! And you know that word that GOAT Ali calls your kind. Readers here cannot understand two-thirds of what you post. Your, angry, mean ___a$$ cannot even write Ebonic correctly. Hehehehe! WTF! Beside I was not defending Deepwater. You are just an uncover racist against Pinoys. Fess up!

It is all right muthasucka! Everybodee and dey momma see that you are delusional. And don't know a darn thing about constructing proper English and any other language, slanguage, dialect or any English colloquialism. Angry man with a tude, quit faking. And then you won't need to be shaking. WOW! You are outta it.. Go back to trying to post stuff about boxing. Though, you lack education in contstructing a proper sentence -- a SUBJECT, VERB and PREDICATE. And think that you can judge the fluency of a Pinoy.

In your own maxim, "Knock it off with that [dumbsyet]!" Holla

Ditto, Amayeng! Holla!

Deepwater I see where your coming from now. Much respect fam!

Amayeng your one of the few who knee how to behave in early 20s.

Radam your always a class act...

deepwater says:

Deepwater I see where your coming from now. Much respect fam!
Yeah man. I hate jackasses from every background No racist in me.. Broner won't get my respect until he fights a top guy. Rees is too small this is a setup fight

i watched some youtube video on rees, not impressed, broner shall have no problem

id like to see broner jump up or to his closer real weight and fight rios, blast him out and maybe take on garcia

broner is ready for those fights, although i sense he is in no hurry to rush his career.

Broner will have his hands full at 140 the best division in boxing.

SouthPaul says:

Broner perfecting the art of speaking to get a reaction. Huge star in the making assuming he can handle his ring duties. Hopefully a GAmboa fight can be made...maybe even Juanma can get into the mix. I was in Puerto Rico for his recent fight. He looked so so. Very beatable on any given Saturday. Fun card overall. Got to meet and take pics with Tito Trinidad. Very gracious per usual with time and passion for the sport. Stood there for almost the entire card signing autographes and taking pics. Fun cat. If you haven't been to the island ...highly reccomended . Great place...