Chad Dawson and John Scully Split Up

BY Michael Woods ON January 09, 2013

HopkinsDawsonII Hogan33During the smooth sailing, the voyage was a sweet trip. When water got rough, though, the boxer hurled the trainer overboard.

At least he has the memories, the evidence, the sweet nothings saved on a voice mail and a signed picture professing his everlasting affection, because it is clear the bromance is now over. Chad Dawson and trainer John Scully are no longer an item. The boxer, who got worked over by Andre Ward in his last outing, had some mildly harsh words for Scully in a recent video shot in a gym in Vegas.

Things started off fine, with Dawson saying that he was back working with Eddie Mustafa Muhammad, and calling Scully a "great trainer."

Then, he started freelancing....

"I was too far ahead in the game for him (John Scully) to even try to come in and teach me anything," Dawson said. He offered that he thinks it best for Scully to work on building a boxer from the ground up. "I was too far ahead of the game. I had worked with trainers like Eddie already, Emanuel Steward, Mayweather Sr and Dan Birmingham. I worked with top level trainers already. For Scully it just wasn't a good situation for him, me already being where I'm at, at the top of the game and having already fought some of the greatest fighters in the world. Not taking anything away from Scully, but coming back to Eddie is where I need to be, gonna make me who I really am."

Perplexed is the word Scully kept coming back to when we discussed this Dawson video hit.

"Part of me is not surprised, I feel Dawson has done it before with other people, like he's drowning and to save himself," the trainer and ex fighter said. "I've known him since he was 11, and never had a problem with him in. The week before the Ward fight he texted me, saying what a great trainer I was. He'd been knocked down by Edison Miranda and I knew that could affect him mentally, so I told him a story to make feel better. He said, 'That's why I brought you to camp, why that makes you a great trainer.'''

Scully said he tried to text Dawson once and messaged him on Facebook, but that the fighter didn't answer either time. "I have a picture signed he wrote to me after the second Hopkins fight, 'To the best trainer in the game, I hope to have a long career with you.''

Perplexed.

"I have nothing against Eddie, I like him a lot, but in camps when Chad referred to time with Eddie, he didn't refer to them favorably. He didn't give me a good picture of their time."

Scully thinks Dawson would be better served taking accountability for his actions. "I equate it to a guy who's divorced seven different women, he has to look at himself, as part of the problem. Maybe his feet stink, or he doesn't make enough money, or he chews his food too loudly. Something is causing the women not to get along with him. It is what it is."

Which is perplexing...

Scully said he thinks this came about because he was vocal after the Ward loss, sharing that he didn't think Dawson dropped from 175 to 168 in the proper manner, under the direction of a strength and conditioning trainer. Dawson, in the video, said he is still using the same strength coach.

"The only guy I'd seen make weight in worse fashion was me," Scully said. "I know what it does to the body and mind."

Scully took some offense at the suggestion that he was out of his depth with the likes of Dawson. "Halfway through the second fight with Hopkins he started to falter and I got him through that. It's on tape, you can see I handled that like a professional. I'm not out of my depth, I was there in the mix with anybody. Why do I have a voicemail in which he tells me I'm a great trainer? He has to look at himself. Maybe you had something to do with the problem."

Follow Woods on Twitter https://twitter.com/Woodsy1069

deepwater says:

I get a prize for calling this a few weeks ago. its not the trainer son. dont look outside for help when you need to be looking inside. scully is a class act and if chad had half the heart of scully he would be a p4p guy. any boxer that changes trainers more then underwear must be examined closley. the facts out there is really bad chad has a prima donna attitude in the gym, he wont take critiqe. mayweather sr said something like move your damn head ,dirrel is whooping you. mayweather sr fired. scully is an easy going guy and lets chad spar his new england amatuers and chad is very friendly with chads family. not really a good thing. a trainer has to be separate and be a rock that wont sway. a good trainer tells it like it is and is hard on the boxer when needed. the art of training camp goes like this. everyday in camp the boxer gets obstacles. its up to the inner voice of the boxer to push through the obstacle and get that confidence in his heart. the trainer needs to be the good observer and see the boxer push himself. the art of training camp is each challenge pushges the boxer to failure and the boxer adapts and doesnt fail. the art of training camp is too push yourself to the point of failure and the little voice in your head says ,f this! I wont slow down! I wont stop! its daily epsisodes in camp that getsthe boxer in tip top condition of the body but more important is the tip top condition of the will power. boxing is 90% mental and you must condition and train the mental. a boxers coach must be hard on him at times so the boxer will be hard on himself. one time during a match I was behind and couldnt get anything going, my trainer screamed at me in the corner and made me look like a fool. everyone in the small arena heard it. he said if I didnt fight and kept bullshi77ting myself then he wouldnt be in the corner when I came back. I turned red and felt like crap for 10 sec. but the trainer knew me, he knew what ticked me off, he knew what would work with me. I came out of the corner on fire with destrution on my mind . it worked. everyone is different but most men are very similar. no man wants to be made a fool of or laughed at. iw ish chad left chad in the corner by himself and embarrezed him before he told smoger he was whooped and didnt want it anymore. chads problem wont be fixed from the outside. all his problems are on the inside. props to scully! next time slap him in the face scully!

I like Chad but I think Skully is right Dawson needs to look in the mirror. It ridiculous how many different trainers he's working with Chad make,up your damn mind.

Ditto Deepwater! And that is just what I have always said. Enough said! Holla!

DaveB says:

Great post Deepwater. That sounds like a great formula for life in general.

Deepwater called it.

Matthew says:

Head case! I can't say I'm the least bit surprised. It's always something with this guy. I thought Manny Steward would be a good fit with Dawson, but he didn't want to come to Detroit to train and started making all kinds of ridiculous demands. If Scully got fired for his comments after the Ward fight, then that's on Dawson. Scully didn't say anything wrong; Dawson just didn't like that Scully wouldn't kiss his ***. Scully didn't tell him what he wanted to hear, so Dawson fired him. It's a bit of speculation on my part, but that's the vibe I'm getting. The only fighter I can recall that went through as many different trainers as Dawson is De La Hoya.

SouthPaul says:

Good piece .... Excellent input from Deeeeeeeeeepwater.

To my boy, Scully, keep your head up.... Every body know Chad is a head case. Thats wasssssup.

SouthPaul, Scully's problem is that he is a pugilistic romantic, not a boxing realist or poet. Romance is for the movies. A real poetic fudge up is the seedy biz of legal mayhem. The worst bytches in this game nowadays are S & C coaches. [The bytches are the latest con men of boxing.] How in the double fudge did they sneak into the training camps and are running syet with so much input and power.

See an old school trainer woulda have that S & C coach evicted from the gym. And SuperBad Chad's wifey too. See a great trainer tricks a fighter into doing syet the right way. Let me tell you a story about the late, great GTOAT Angie Dundee.

It was this bytch S & C coach who kept interrupting with Angel's flow of training, and turned the champion against Angie. The S & C had the fighter on all types of roids and PEDs and heavy lifting weight training jive. Cutting straight to the chase, Angie brought in a local amateur hotshot to beat the heck outta the champion, who didn't know that a drop of bleach was put into his drinks and prune juice into his coffee. The champion canned that S & C coach and made history.

Don't ask for details of that optical illusion. Insiders know about the __ ____ that's hidden in plain sight of da game. Holla!

I'm diggin' that Post Deep..

anybody who would be somebody no matter what their calling would be driven to the utmost extremes to excell in thier chosen vocation. reading books, learning new techniques, and practicing the old ones religiously.. change their diet..the whole 9... it's the little things that separate the best of the best...

Deep mentioned Marriage... I talk to elderly people everyday, some in their 90's, helping them to resolve their healthcare issues and I'm amazed by the couples who stay together from day one. 50, 60 years.. Thats got to be a testimony.

It takes the strongest king of commitment there is to make a relationship work...and I admire the ones who can do it...

Guys like Dawson, who go out on a fling everytime the weather changes is destroying the foundation of a Deep relationship before the roots can sink in Deeper and produce good fruits.

Good fruit may not come in the first year....but those who persevere will inevitably see it. and reap the reward.

Floyd and Wlad Klitschko are excellent examples.

They trust their corner and have been with the same people so long, when the trainer is no longer present they can fight on auto-pilot,.. hearing the voices of their mentors like a sweet melody guiding them through.

I don't want to Eulogize Dawson just yet... but I fear he'd better get the biggest paydays he can before he gets knocked off during an unheralded tune-up.

Once a fighter loses the respect of his peers he's got to fight twice as hard.

kidcanvas says:

dawson was never a top tier fighter and he obviously isnt a loyal one either . he sucks ,always did.. he screwed a great guy in scully..wtf was dawson talking about as far as builing from the ground up fighters? he was with him at square one ..

kidcanvas says:

Bernie Campbell says:

BERnard Hopkins, epitome of a spook! Trys to scare and intimadate his opponents into submission! Couldnt do it to Jones, Calzahge, Taylor and Dawson! William Joppy'd slap him upside the head if hed play kosher!