Donaire Does Bangup Numbers on HBO

BY Michael Woods ON December 19, 2012

HBOmage001I have noticed that our traffic at TSS has been picking up in the Philippines when we write about Nonito Donaire. I am not sure if there has been any dropoff in Manny Pacquiao traffic, I'd have to delve deeper into that...But I'm feeling like Pinoys are readying themselves for a transfer of the baton from Pacman to Nonito.

Looks like the numbers-on-TV are indicating something along those lines as well...The numbers birdie tells me that Donaire drew slightly more than 1.3 million viewers to the live prime-time airing of his fight vs. Jorge Arce on Saturday night, a 61% improvement over his last HBO fight (835,000 viewers for his Oct. 13 fight vs. Toshiaki Nishioka in Carson, CA).

Donaire’s audience Saturday on HBO out-performed the Showtime Khan vs. Molina main event (616,000 viewers) by 119%, by the birdies' computation. HBO more than doubled Showtime’s boxing audience Saturday night, helped by the fact that Arce is a more recognized figure among the more casual-to-semi hardcore boxing fan this is Nishioka, and Khan foe Carlos Molina.

Meanwhile, the replay of Pacquiao-Marquez 4 on HBO Saturday night delivered 1.3 million viewers, which is darned healthy mass of watchers, considering people already knew who would win. And dare I speculate that a batch of watchers tuned in to bid adieu, and covertly wipe a teardrop from their eye, to our man Larry Merchant, the oft poetic, intermittently combustible ex keyboard tapper turned expert analyst who is moving on to hammer out another chapter of life after 35 years in the "A" analyst chair at HBO.

Da GAME is volcano erupting up in the rating again after almost 30 years.

Goes to show you, rising from the dead can be done when you are really just in a coma. Boxing has been in a coma. Now the comatosed whup-@$$ is BAAAAAAACK! Haters should not have put it off the cross then in none-rating cave. Holla!

IIfs time for the Philippines people to jump on the flash d!ck now cuz Pac will never be as dominant as he once was. I've been for years that nonito will end of being a greater fighter then Pac and it only a matter of time that I will be proven right.

SCLA Ali, you will never quit. You're stopped up with down lowness and ___ _____-- _______! Go take a sh*t. You think that you are slick, but you are already on somebody's d¡€k.

Just as Lennox Lewis came back after Hashim Rahman kayoed him, Da Manny is going to come back and kayoed Marquez, than Money May. That is if Money May develop some "Iron" Mike Tyson's cojones and take dat @$$ thrashing like Tyson took against LL.

Da Manny will retired as a world champ. And you will still be a tramp. And keyboard tappin' strawman syet. Holla!

Actually you are a bit of Herman Cain -- the pizza man and his 9-9-9 plan. Hehehe! Holla!

Make me a sandmick (sic)! Hahaha!

Damn radam get your panties out your as$ and Manny **** out your mouth lol.I didn't even say anything about Pac stop being so emotional when ever somebody says something bad about Pac it starting to make u look gay.

Wow! What nerves you have. For Money May, you are so happy and gay. And cannot stand the truth about him that people say. He is a ducker of fighters and of correct, truthful testing of roids and PEDs 24/7/365. He and you are full of jive. Da Manny will be back to kayo Marquez and Money May. Marquez will be there with cojones, and roids and PEDs in him again to get kayoed. Money May -- with his roids-and.PEDs using @$$ - will hide behind the excuse that Da Manny has been kayoed three times. And not one of those times will be by Money May.

You can't handle the truth. But it is closing in. And knocking down and out all ____ _____ of tin. Holla!

MisterLee says:

Actually Viloria is my favorite Filipino fighter now. He's a beast. I'm happy for Donaire... he deserves it... I would put top 3 right not being (not in order): Ward, Donaire, Marquez. Viloria would make my top 10, but I don't think most pple would consider it (I dunno why, he knocked out Segura who was #9 p4p back in the day, and he beat Hernan Marquez... Hey! Him and donaire have a common opponent! Btw- My friend sent me the amateur fight of Viloria vs. Donaire... anybody see it? A real skillful slug/boxing fest! :

maromero says:

I love Donaires left hook, its sweet.I dont know if its his mouth or if its Arum but Im kinda annoyed at the dude. He knows Arum wont do anything to make the Mares but still says he wants the fight, but at the same time he downplays Rigondeaux.I believe that its the top 2 or 3 most needed fights in boxing

dino da vinci says:

Michael, the only baton that hasn't been passed yet is the ratings baton. Clearly Donaire is the worlds best from that region, and has been for some time.

@Radam. Ya gotta love a guy that is willing to go over a cliff with Manny driving. Of course Manny is still elite. But it is becoming more and more evident that the Great One has turned the corner. The win that he lost, the loss that he won, the last one...no sign of resurrection from the dominant monster that was just a short time ago. All-time great? Absolutely. More to come? Sorry Radam, there's only so much juice that can be squeezed.

Now Donaire, (Whose name I understand is pronounced wrong by virtually everyone) is certainly short list very best as we enter 2013. And as has been pointed out on this forum, boxing is surging once again.

Ddv, the world didn't end in 2012. In 2013, Da Manny is going to raise hell. I -- I mean he still has the whup-@$$ $mell. Y'all oughta listen to what I tell. In the rematch, he is going to double fudge knock Marquez da holy fudge OUT. And the Mayweather-Pacquiao Bout will still be able to sell. But it probably won't be made, no doubt.

The BIG PAYBACK is going to retire Marquez, and reveal the deceit of the fallen Angel "Memo" Heredia. He didn't get his own memo. With dat ___ ____ ____ that he put in Marquez, he will no longer be able to give even a demo. Holla!

Good for Donaire, anybody who draw positive attention to the sport is helping the cause.