We Should Have PROOF Before We Label Marquez A Cheater...Shouldn't We?

BY Michael Woods ON December 10, 2012

Marquez Pacquiao 121208 006aPeople smelled smoke, and assume that there is fire, and it was lit by Heredia, at Marquez' behest. But...don't we need more than circumstantial evidence to decide this is so? (Chris Farina-Top Rank)

Americans are big fans of conspiracy theories these days. Not a tremendous surprise; during tough times, some cling to religion, some to guns, and some to whacky, unproven narratives which help to tame the insecurities rife in their heads.

The other day, I was in my favorite coffee shop, talking with a young lady working behind the counter. The topic of guns, and the culture of violence, the casual acceptance of regular shootings, was being discussed.

The young lady dropped her voice and made an admission to me. "I think that shooting at that theater in Colorado, I think that guy was set up."

"Wait...the killing of 12 innocents who went to see the new Batman movie in Aurora, Colorado in July by a nut named James Holmes...you think he didn't do it, and was set up?"

Holmes was apprehended at the theater, in his warrior gear, and told cops, it was reported, that he'd booby trapped his apartment so they'd get blown up after he got locked up. He has not denied that he went on this murderous rampage.

Now, I wasn't able to decipher why my barista friend is ignoring what looks like overwhelming evidence that Holmes was the lone gunman who committed this atrocious act. But this situation came to mind the day after Saturday's KO shocker, win which 39 year-old Juan Manuel Marquez dropped and stopped Manny Pacquiao as if he tazed him at the MGM in Las Vegas.

Whispers turned to screams that this thing wasn't on the up and up, that Marquez surely was juicing, that the result was tainted because...why, again? I waited for some evidence. I searched for a concrete, or even a semi concrete explanation why so many folks were fixated on PEDS in the aftermath of the fight of the year.

Instead of "concrete" I found and heard circumstantial chatter. Mostly, the "Marquez cheated" crew seems to focus on the presence of his strength and conditioning coach, Angel Heredia. The fighter hired Heredia before his third fight with Pacquiao, and has now used his services for three fights. The stern eyed crew points out that Heredia has a dirty--filthy, actually--past, as a peddler of steroids and other chemicals taken to improve performance during athletic events. When pinched for being a pusher to world class athletes, Heredia rolled over, received immunity from the Feds, and helped put away Trevor Graham, coach to elite sprinters Marion Jones and Tim Montgomery. Back then, Heredia was described as a Texas resident, and shot-putter who got roids in Mexico, and then doled them out to other athletes. Graham was described when that scandal blew up, in 2006,  by his defenders as a whistleblower who sent a syringe of a designer PED dispensed by the notorious Victor Conte out of his BALCO shop in San Francisco to the US Anti-Doping Agency. That alert some said caused the investigation which snagged Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire and other MLB long-ball artists in a snare to snag cheaters.

Now, as far as circumstantial evidence goes, Heredia admittedly is a sweet target for smack talk. The guy is a rat, who gave up friends and associates, so he'd get off easier in the eyes of the law. When he re-appeared on radar screens as Marquez' coach, he was using a different name, for cripes sake; he was calling himself "Angel Hernandez." Memories were refreshed, and Conte spread the word that Heredia got off scot free, and did no time, while he was sent to jail for four months for his involvement in illegal chemical performance enhancers. MaxBoxing's dogged anti-doping crusaders Gabriel Montoya before the fourth Pacquiao-Marquez fight alerted people to a German documentary which features Heredia injecting a PED into his own belly, on camera, and then going into a pharmacy in Mexico and buying PEDs over the counter and then concocting a syrup which will aid performance and then not get flagged by drug testers. (It is not clear what Heredia had to gain by pointing out how simple it is to score PEDs and administer them. Was he compensated to appear in the doc? Was he simply bragging, portraying himself as a mover and shaker in sports, someone who is tacitly responsible for the superior performances offered by our heroes? Was he trying to wake us all up to the overwhelming prevalence of PEDs in basically all big-time sports?)

Further circumstantial evidence offered by those who feel there is a humongous black cloud over the Marquez win? They point to the weak performance by Marquez in his loss to Floyd Mayweather in 2009, and the bulbous shoulder muscles and over-all sterling physique he now boasts. And as of Sunday morning, they point to a newfound level of power possessed by Marquez that wasn't, they say, present before. That single shot, that right counter which felled Pacquiao, was just too good to be true, they are saying. Oh, and what about that acne on Marquez, they say, isn't that damning?

How in God's name could a 39-year-old man, 12 or so year's after the average male's physical gifts begin to deteriorate, improve so dramatically at such a late stage.

These are all good questions, great questions...but we need answers, in the form of proof, smoking gun level, irrefutable proof, before we smear Marquez, or Heredia.

Is it fishy that Marquez showed a heretofore unseen brand of power against Pacquiao? The true believer in me, the part of me who wants to believe in the goodness that is there, even if buried, in most souls, doesn't want to leap to conclusions. I prefer to believe that Marquez doesn't cheat, that hard work and overwhelming desire and clean methods in training him brought him to victory Sunday. Maybe I am naive; I admit that possibility must be explored. Maybe, after all the dirt that has been laid out, all the positives, all the seemingly ludicrous explanations offered by the boxers who were busted, maybe I need to wake up, smell the stink in the air, and assume that the majority of the top tier performers are using illegal performance enhancers to get ahead.

But I'd rather all of us stopped trafficking in theories, and instead focused on reality. Until PROVEN otherwise, I think we should assume that Marquez didn't cheat. I think we should embrace the reaction of Team Pacquiao and Manny, who congratulated Marquez for a job well done. (Will some of you assume that Pacquiao is able to clap Marquez on the back because you think he too uses chemicals to aid his strength and stamina, and thus, he feels the two were on an even playing field at the MGM in their fourth fight? Yes. Can part of me understand that urge? Again, yes.)

I am not condemning anyone for yelling fire, really, because smoke has been wafting. But our society has become all too willing to substitute facts and theory and gut instincts for proof, and dispense those theories all over the world in 140 characters or less.

Happily, there are bulldogs like Montoya who have the time, energy, effort and principles to pursue this most pressing issue in our game. I do hope that the continuing investigations into the usage of PEDs in the sport yield facts that cannot be explained away, or dismissed with doctors' "the dog ate my homework" type notes. Because this sort of black cloud that is dumping a toxic rain of doubt and cynicism on this Fight of the Year diminishes the impact and intensity of the drama. I can only urge the power brokers in the game, the HBOs, Showtimes, Arums, Schaefers, et al, to solve this issue, and embrace random testing for the biggest of the big bouts, so we can cease the whispering and dispel that cloud of suspicion which now helps erode the enjoyment we derive from watching the best athletes in the greatest sport known to man do their thing.

Readers, weigh in with your suggestions on how to solve the PED problem. Hey, maybe you think that PEDs should be allowed and regulated, assuming that the cheaters will always be ahead of the good guys and the testers, so we should capitulate to sad reality and proceed accordingly. Go to our Forum, and add your three cents.

Follow me on Twitter here https://twitter.com/#!/Woodsy1069.

Carmine Cas says:

Correct Mike

The proof is in the pudding. Angel Heredia is an archmaster of his craft. Marquez, as 75 percent of muscular young fighters and 95 percent of old muscular top guns are on roids and PEDs. Heredia, who was a US government snitch and almost was on the witness protection plan, has used masking chemicals to hide dat syet in Marquez from a weak-@$$ pi$$ test.

An amateur chemist can remove all doubts in a nanosec. I'm surprised that one of those hotshot showoffs have crashed into this Universe and given up a few masking agents. Holla!

DaveB says:

Dang, I hate to say it but I think anything with Marquez is possible. He wanted to win so much. If it does come out that he is juicing I won't be surprised. Nothing surprises me any more. But I don't know if he is a cheater. Is it possible he is clean? Maybe he is. Coming up in weight against Floyd was just too fast, he didn't have time to grow into his body. He hit Floyd with a couple good shots but they did nothing to him. Pacquaio's team is as much to blame if he was cheating. They said if he roided up he would be more likely to stand there and fight. They got what they wanted, just not the result they wanted. I don't know how much PED's can add to your punching power. I would think maybe 5%. That is just a guess. I do know you have to have God given skills, dedication, discipline and an iron will along with intelligence. Marquez was committed and willing to almost die it seemed. He used a body attack, feints, and threw those punches with the worse of intentions. Like someone said if Pacquiao had of done that to him everyone would have been all right with it. I have to give much credit to Marquez unless the evidence proves me wrong.

deepwater says:

We should have proof that this is a real boxing website and not an off shoot of tmz. marquez landed a well timed shot when pac was rushing in. that punch ended the fight ,not a needle or steroids. anyone laugh at 50 cent when he came in on a rope telling people in the audience to f off. lol

ultimoshogun says:

I admit I wasn't too enthusiastic of this fight up until pretty much the night before when I decided out of boredom to watch the 24/7 episodes, so I don't know the whole story whether Marquez declined blood testing other than a headline I read where Roach said that was the case. However, it makes no sense to me why Team Pacman would demand this type of testing when they so adamently declined to do it in the past. I'd like to believe Marquez has too much pride, dignity, and honor to cheat...with Heredia's shady background, Marquez would have to be the biggest moron walking the earth to pull something like that. As I stated in the other thread, Marquez has rocked Pacman before...some people make it sound like he never had the power to hurt Pac until this fourth fight, which is simply not the case. To me he's clean until proven otherwise.

FYI, Editor Mikey, it,s already allowed and regulated. Masking excess usages and super dangerous ones to self are not. The U.S. Olympic team uses that syet. Everybody and dey momma oughta QUIT! And call a spade a spade. Olympic testing is the last thing that you want to use. That jive is corrupted like __ __. Holla!

Carmine Cas says:

I was embarrassed for him lol. "What an Idiot"- Ron Burgundy. Kind of wish the cables snapped when he was low enough not to get injured, so we could have gotten a laugh

U-shogun, the game is full of morons, passive trainers and naive fighters. Don't forget that Marquez use to drinks his p!$$ for power and energy and he believed an edge. Too much pride to win is the key. He doesn't give a double fudge cookie about cheating and not getting caught. It is in his nature. OMFG! He is an accountant who mastered the numbers in favor of himself nd his team. Holla!

mortcola says:

Yep. As I just wrote on another TSS page: The obsession with unfounded (i.e. imaginary) PED allegations has got to stop. Test all you want. But the months and months of people wasting time with "IMO he did/didn't" arguments is just a turn-off from intelligent boxing discussion. No facts, no point. Test and find out. Then back to boxing.

deepwater says:

thats 50 cents big plan for boxing. come in on a rope telling the audience to suck his magicstick. good plan 50. lol lol

TotoyBato says:

Angel Heredia is a genius ("a master of his craft"). JMM is driven, determined and also a master of his craft. Together comes a perfect killing machine. Angel developed the body that can keep up, and execute, with JMM's sharp and lethal boxing mind. Nobody's cheating if they are not proven to be breaking rules.

teaser says:

I have nothing but respect for JM Marquez ..He put in the work and training over the last few years with a focus..and never unraveled once in all these battles ...that is a fighter.... peds don't make the fighter ..

Mortcola my suspicions came before the fight and the knockout of PAC

In fact my suspicion began for the 3rd fight as jmm got jacked too quickly

with his physique looking different than his genetics portrayed(bodytype)

Add in heredia who is an admitted Olympic cheater and master

In beating tests for the best athletes in the world

and add into fact that jmm is 39.

In the fourth fight jmm displayed such force and thudding

power it was uncharacteristic.

He has been a combination knockout puncher

not a brute strength one punch killer.

I'm a huge fan of jmm and PAC,

But how can one not be suspicious with the above facts?

I don't know how PED's even got into the conversation. These guys did what they always do... 1up each other in a back and forth fight..
This time it was for lasting glory. They both decided to escalate their offense and deny the judges the choice of selecting a winner. There seemed to be an unsigned agreement to resolve the rivalry before the final bell.
Paq threw more,.. (twice as much)... in an effort to chip away at Marquez with a buzz-saw offense... while clearly taking a toll on Marquez.

in contrast Marquez threw Half as many punches,... choosing to bypass an opportunity to take it to the scorecards in favor of going for the greater prize of getting a stoppage.
Just when it appeared Marquez wouldn't last much longer,... he manages to get there first.

Accusations could have easily be passed both ways. Observers have been wondering for years how a scrawny looking guy bulks up from 106 to 147, and smashes the orbital bones of concrete chinned fighters like Margarito... which in itself is a lot more suspicious than bulking up by weight lifting.

Here's a quicky sugestion to slow down and eradicate PED use.

There can be two levels,.....group #1 and #2........anyone in group #1 can choose to not to participate in blood testing. but the guy who decides to test gets paid more.

Group #2(those who fight for titles) have to under-go testing year round... (randomly averaging a test about every 45 days..)

Rule # 1. No one can fight for a title until they've been proven clean for at least a year. However a fighter can begin testing a year while still in non-title group #1.

The incentive would be to set up a better pay scale for title pro-testing contestants who would earn a significantly higher rate of pay for taking the tests.

The talented fighters would be more willing to take blood tests and indirectly exert some peer pressure on the non testers.

After couple of years,.. they'll all be testing.

I thought it was irresponsible... inconsiderate of those who don't want to hear explicit and profane lyrics...and unprofessional.
Promoters are supposed to let their fighters take the center stage.
I wonder if Arum knew and let Jackson make a buffoon out of himself on purpose.
Maybe he'll learn... we'll see... bad move in my opinion.

@brownsugar

i agree, although i am a fan of 50, i do not agree with 1. him trying to take center stage or any attention away from his fighter or fighters, 2. that type of language i am sure there were plenty of people who did not want or need to hear rap or those types of lyrics...

i met 50 a few years ago, he grabbed my boy and took some pictures with him, his body guards tried to shoe us away, hell we were just walking by, we said hi and he stopped, he

went out of his way to literally grab my boy who became super shy and made him laugh and converse with him....he is a class act with fans and bystanders.....

so hopefully he learned his lesson

i am glad he is in the game though and can promote some good bouts in the future

I can see that happening amaygeng,.. .....I don't think he's the devil,.. when doing interviews he does comes off as friendly intelligent and articulate. That's why it was so dissappointing to see that Jackson didn't follow the first rule of promotion...KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE... because that was not cool... even the performance sucked.

The way Gamboa looked in his fight.... Jackson doesn't need to be throwing Broners name around. He needs to get Gamboa a bigger paycheck and some more tune-ups. Gamboa probably wishes he was back with Arum... Hopefully Jackson will get it together...There's probably a learning curve dealing with promotional side of things.

I'm glad you and your son had a chance to rub elbows with 50 in a positive way.

The last celebrity I saw was Magic Johnson when he came through to sign autographs and promote his new contract as a food vendor provider when he bought SANESE.
I'd like to say that Magic serves those (who still work in the building and not at home) their lunch... but no he only banks the proceeds.

MARK LENNOX says:

deepwater is spot on,good reply, Manny got careless and got a well rehearsed thump.

kidcanvas says:

test him ... after the diff in 1 yr ? cant hurt ...

GerardMcL says:

Every question being asked of Marquez today was being asked of Pacquaio a year ago.
People castigated Floyd for saying Pacquaio was on PEDs without evidence and now those same people are accusing Marquez.
Innocent until proven guilty. For a guy on PEDs he was losing on points until Manny dropped a lazy jab and left his right in his pocket - Pacquaio opened the door and Marquez caught him sweet as a nut, perfect punch!

SouthPaul says:

Then and now... It's been totally exaggerated without a bit of any real evidence.

The MAyweather fanatics seem joyful as if their man won by ko. Sort of silly kidish behavior. Floyd still gonna get paid so I ain't gonna remind him how much he potentially lost on the PAC fight..he can ponder and reflect that alone but I will say how nice that PAC ko would've appeared on his fight resume. Ponder that thought, my friends....

zdrx says:

of all people marquez can hire as a conditioning coach...marquez openly hired a PEDs dealer!!! what more proof do we need???

SouthPaul says:

A dirty test would be good proof. Like I said, be suspicious, that's fine but you lose me when the exaggeration kicks in. I've got regular everyday friends Marquez' age who keep themselves in fantastic shape and I assure you they aren't PED'ing. It's called consistency, discipline, and dedication. To say that Marquez all of sudden became muscled up and a one punch ko artist is a totally exaggerated misrepresentation of the facts. 40 summin' rounds - thousands of punches thrown- lots of rounds sparred - many hours in the gym- gallons of sweat, blood and tears spent that lead up to that moment of putting PAC's lights out. That's wassup, so don't go telling me it was only the miracle of PED.

@SouthPaul, it is also "called genetics." If they don't/didn't have "ripped"-making genetics, consistency, discipline and dedication ain't worth a dime or five ants'@asses or a bucket of balut.

Everybody and dey momma and dey crackheaded dawg are right about how fast Marquez became a the little brown Hulk in da in body, but wrong about how he became a one-punch killa. Dude could always crack. And it takes just one punch. Brownie Hulk -- I mean Juan Manuel Marquez -- didn't just make Da Manny bit, he made him MUNCH! Da Manny ate that punch like a put-you-to-sleep lunch! And roids and PEDs were no help -- maybe psy ops, but not phy ops -- for Marquez. Because that double syet -- roids and PEDs -- has no brain, or can work da brain like choo choo train.

The spilled-milk CRY oughta make like a tweety bird and UP, UP and AWAY -- FLY! Marquez got Da Manny with skills to pay the bills. Marquez got the know nothings and haters with bodied-up eye candy. Just after the hurricane Sandy.

A spade is a spade. JMM's kayo punch was not roids-and-PEDs made. Holla!

I'm tellin ya Radam g peds work.
I've seen fist hand guys with warning track power their whole lives
be able to display increased hand speed and power ripping balls
over the fence when they have never before until roids peds

Look at Shawn merriman in the nfl going from
a madman leading in sacks getting caught with roids
going off roids and becoming invisible for years

Roids and peds work physically

It's proven.

Amayseng, tons of roids-and-PEDs footballers have wandered into boxing, and got da double fudge kayoed. There is a long trail of those arses littering history. Boxing is a skill and talent that needs a brain to get dat moolah to rain. Roids and PEDs are to made these guys, bodies into eye candies for the freaky groupies and fanfaronades. Holla!

Roids and PEDs can work for the stop-and-go blast of football in hitting an @ss, and in baseball for hitting a ball, and maybe in track for sprints, but not in a matathon race or basketball or hockey or soccer. No skills, no thrills. And You will not be able to pay your bills.

OH NO! Roids and PEDs are at most placebo syet in super skill-needed sports. Until somebody on dat syet put it on me in any of the above, I cannot swallow the alleged power of dat jive.

I've beat many of an arse that I knew was on dat syet. I don't believe in that, and I don't believe in size. Being a bad@$$ comes from talent, skills and continously working and practicing and eating right and getting rest and the right of amount of sleep. Holla!

@Gerald McL I was saying the exact same thing a few days ago those people are hypercritical.

@ali different circumstances.
PAC wasn't 38 and at 39 brought in a convicted
steroid dealer who best Olympic tests and fed Olympians steroids
and became ripped and jacked displaying a completely different genetic body type.

Jmm has put himself in this situation due to his choices

Don't get me wrong I'm a jmm fan but it is what it is

What if Arod brought in heredia this year and went from
Batting 267 with 19 home runs this year to being physically
jacked and hitting 325 with 50 home runs next year.

Wouldn't that be suspicious?

Once again, Roids and PEDs in boxing are for eye candy. They don't help fight your fight game. Seventy-five percent of boxers are on roids and PEDs to get a buff muscular look because that is what is in. And it is not a sin. But it cannot help you win. In the phy ops department. Maybe just in the psy ops department. Holla!

"B" says:

Bitter bitter bitter. Funny how when Manny was accused with no real evidence his fans were all noble and talking that "innocent until proven guilty" mess. It seems now just because Manny got stretched out that its an issue. And some people, on this site commented on other articles saying Marquez should not be accused and that his ko was legit . I guess now the sting of that KO is starting to set it because those same fans are singing a different tune lol. We have a name for folks like that where I am from.....hypocrites. Manny got caught and I hope his health is ok. When a man gets stopped like that it can really damage him for life, not just boxing. I hope Manny comes back strong but He cant think about that right away. I keep Manny is prayers because most arent the same after ko's like that

SouthPaul says:

I'm all PED'ed out. Moving on. Holla'

I'm with you, SouthPaul. I remember back in da day when buffed-up muscular bodies were not in style in boxing. The old-timey trainers would tell those types of bodies that needed to "get off dat syet, because it is just fo' sho'in off.'"

In those days, not even that long ago, you couldn't tell a boxing body from ones of swimmers, tennis players, surfers and basketball players. Because we all had the same body shape.

This incredible Hulk-like-syet look came in with the new millenium. You can go back and take a peep at the upstart Money May of the late 1990s and see what I'm talking about. Holla at a few 1999 issues of the Ring Magazine, and see how many bulked-up bodybuilding-looking pugilists that you see in a single one. Maybe one. And he was a bottom-tier fighter.

Oh my fudging goodness, we boxers use to laugh our @sses off at muscle-bound boxers, because they had no speed and a power punch not worth syet. Now TSS superscribe F-Lo knows this. Don't let me have to remind him of how many times toddler Radam saw him and the whole Joe Frazier Club and Philly pugilists at U.S. national amateur tournament laughing at muscle-bound fighters gettin' dusted off.

Mike Weaver and Kenny Norton were the closest jive that were muscle-bound-looking top-tier fighters. And neither one of them lifted weight. It is all in their genetics. Holla!

SouthPaul says:

Good read! Just a bit dumbfounded over the idea a fighter truly couldn't do what Marquez done without PED. Maybe he was loaded up.... All info is usually incomplete in life... Who knows what any man does behind the curtains of his privacy...be suspicious....by all means... Be skeptical ! I just ain't agreeing with those who say it can't be done on the legit. Thats bullshit, my friend, I ain't subscribing to that opinion. Off to the movies...gonna see Skyfall. Holla with a review if you or anyone else seen it!

I'm all PED'ed out. Moving on. Holla'

Lmao!! I feel u fam..

there can never be any beef from the Paq camp or the fans regarding PED's... as hard as the Paq's camp (including trainer, promoter et al) defiantly resisted blood testing and never required blood testing for any opponent...

Along with Paq's statements to the press that Marquez didn't possess a supernatural punch... forever squashes and removes the argument from the table forevermore...

Great boxers are truthful forever and always. Ditto! Nothing in Hades or heaven or on earth was supernature about JMM's poppin,' droppin' yo'-arse punch. It was no different from the right cross from Rocky Marciano that got Jersey Joe Walcott. Or the one that a young Muhammad "GOAT" Ali landed on a rushing-in, leaning Sonny "Night Train" Liston. Or the one that Mike Weaver tagged "Big" John Tate with.

JMM's shot will join the list of the best right cross ever thrown to get a kayo. All those won live by the punch -- I mean sword -- die by the sword. Holla!

Darlene James says:

The dramatic difference in JMM body is what has raised concern. With JMM new strength is what knocked MP out. How did he get it At 39 in a short amount of time. If it was me I would not of even brought this guy into my camp because you know doubt would haunt you if you win. And he did. It is not definitive. Like Larry Holmes this is going to follow him around forever I think, maybe not. JJM's strength trainer should of been banned to ever get near a professional Athlete again. Instead he is the deciding factor in a most important fight for boxing. Like Pete Rose this guy should of been banned. I am afraid for boxing. People are saying UFC could put an end to boxing for a variety of reasons. Am I off on these points?

DJ, you not are off the points. But just for the reason when it comes to muscle-bound bodies now in our sport. I know your family member, the former great amateur boxing champion Clarence James, who was in the U.S. Marine Corp, and after his storied career, he coached the Corp's All Marine team.

Checkout Jim Lampley's show this coming Saturday. I'm certain that he will have a piece about roids and PEDs and how the bodies of boxers have become strangely rippingly muscle bound. And what in the holy jive is it? Roids and PEDs or a new diet and new training techiques, including excessively lifting heavy weights like bodybuilders. Holla!

aljamieson says:

The explanation that people seem to actually be looking for is not "how could Marquez do this?" but "How could this happen to Manny Pacquiao?" Watching someone we assumed was invincible become merely human in such a dramatic fashion is tough sometimes. At least Pacquiao has no problem owning the loss. As he himself (reportedly) said: "You're not going to like how this ends." All that said, editor Mike - "unproven narratives which help to tame the insecurities rife in their heads." You are a writer, my friend