PREDICTION PAGE: Cotto Or Trout?

BY Michael Woods ON November 26, 2012

CottoWorkout4Trout Guzman20Follow me on Twitter here https://twitter.com/#!/Woodsy1069.

Miguel Cotto, the pugilistic pride of Puerto Rico, took part in a conference call Monday to hype his Dec. 1 clash against Austin Trout at Madison Square Garden. He said that at MSG, "you will see the best Miguel Cotto ever," and that he feels rejuvenated following his May loss to Floyd Mayweather,

Cotto said he was happy to be on the call and ready for Saturday. He then took calls from the press. "Anyone who knows Miguel Cotto knows he doesn't pick easy fights," he said, when asked if Trout, being a lefty who defends well, wasn't an easy or wise choice as a foe. "He was next in line...I'm not thinking about Trout, I'm thinking about myself self. I'm ready for whatever he tries on Saturday night."

Cotto said that his May 5 loss to Floyd Mayweather rejuvenated him, and that will show on Saturday. The loss was almost a win, because he performed so well.

Cotto said the crowd at MSG last December 3rd lifted him. "This fight was special," he said. "It was special for me, and special for them."

The Puerto Rican said that Trout's experience fighting on the road won't prepare him for MSG. He didn't want to give excess credit to Trout for being so willing to enter the lion's den, reasoning that that is what fighter's do, take on challenges. He remembered his first fight at MSG, seven years ago. He didn't expect this long-standing relationship and is grateful for having the success at MSG he has had. Cotto said he appreciates that the fans come out for him here, and thinks they know he entertains, always.

He was asked about the Saturday death of "Macho" Camacho, who was born in Puerto Rico. He said he didn't know Macho well, but watched him growing up, and wants to remember his ring skills and the glory he brought to PR.

Promoter Oscar De la Hoya of Golden Boy spoke on the call. He said that MSG is Cotto's second home, maybe the best fighter to come from Puerto Rico and that he expects a tough fight from Trout.

deepwater says:

I belive cotto.

deepwater says:

cotto ko/tko 7 rounds

DaveB says:

I love the heck out of Cotto but I'm picking Trout for a upset in this one. The young guy gets it done tonight. It may go to the late rounds or to a decision.

Wow! DaveB! I hope that you haven't started driving and drinking bad tea or even peepee. But we will see. Why people are all a sudden thinking Troup is mighteeee? MC may chop him down like a tree. Holla!

Bernie Campbell says:

I dont care who wins, but I sure as sh... dont want to see Sam Watson's dumb profile in the ring with trout! If this is gonna be a family reunion, Oscar bring the greens with neckbone, BerNard bring the ribs, and Mose you bring the Macoroni and Cheese!

Bernie Campbell says:

Another Sam Watson Family Reunion, this time its the Garden! Oscar you bring the greens with neckbone, BerNard you bring the ribs, and Mose you bring the Macoroni and Cheese!

Trout does everything good but nothing great. He is not a pressure fighter and has nothing to keep cotto from doing what he wants. I like both guys as fighters they represent the sport well. I just think trout doesn't have enough firepower for the seasoned cotto and doesn't sit down on his punches. Should be a good fight tho

Well, family reunions aside... I think Trout truly has potential against a guy who fights back. But he'll have to put everything on the line. I haven't seen that much from Trout to pick in his favor.. watched his last fight on youtube and somehow remained awake at the end.

I hope Trout can surprise me.. because I picked as top prospect last year... but based on his last performance.. I have to give this one to Cotto... you damn near have to kill the man to beat him in NY... the Nuyorican presence can be overwhelming to even the most season fighters.

DaveB says:

Nah, I'll be drinking beer. Listen, I have nothing but respect for Cotto. He is a super good guy and if I'm wrong that's okay. Trout seems to be a nice guy too. I just think that Trout will rise to the occasion and I understand I'm going out on a limb because he might not. Everyone has to step up at some point in their career and find out if they will sink or swim. I have had a nagging feeling since this match was made that Trout will swim. I'm not saying he will swim without getting wet. I think his speed and reach will win the day for him.

I watched 2 of trouts fights.
Boring a bit and nothing stands out to beat cotto. Well see what he brings tonight. He needs more than he's showed

SouthPaul says:

I ain't never seen but short clips of Trout so I have no prediction. Saw him on All Access. Humble living conditions. Love to see the under dog win the boxing lotto so good luck to him. Am also excited at the thought of Cotto winning then going on to face Canelo. Thats nothing but good stuff right there. All out war, get the local trauma center ready...

deepwater says:

. The garden is going to overwhelm him. It will be packed and With puerto ricans that will inspire cotto.cotto will be fired up after seeing a camacho tribute and 10 count.dont be surprised if a camacho family member is ringside.

We might have a Zahir Raheem situation here. If Cotto is looking past Trout he could get outboxed. Deepwater could be right though, this is Trout's first time on a big stage. Cotto by closer than expected UD.

wow trout beat cotto decisively and cotto gave mayweather all he could handle

what does that say about mayweather?

good for trout tho, good kid

wow trout beat cotto decisively and cotto gave mayweather all he could handle

what does that say about mayweather?

A combination of things. I've been saying Mayweather has lost a step or two for a while now. But he still dug down to beat a naturally bigger and younger Cotto decisively while sitting on the ropes....So while Mayweather may be fading.. he still has a trick or two he can use to compensate for father time. Trout on the other hand showed excellent anticipation, stamina (probably comes from the dry heat of living in new mexico) and footwork. He's also much bigger physically. Cotto looked discouraged from the 10th round on.
Good judging...no pre-Chrismas gifts.

@brownsugar. Makes sense.
Of course I know styles make fights but I agree with u Floyd has slowed down a bit. Understandably so. Although he put on a great performance against cotto, what happens if he fights a young trout Guerrero ?

@brownsugar. Makes sense.

Floyd's' not looking for any young guns bigger smarter and better than Berto. ....so Trout is out.....But Guerrero is the same size as Mayweather and slow enough of hand and foot to make for an intriguing fight. Guerrero is winner too so he can make it close or possibly pull an upset...I expect Floyd to announce Guerrero as his next opponent by new years. Just a hunch.

vjoe says:

My only knowledge of Trout is via Youtube. Many props to Cotto for his last out against Mayweather. However, I believe he is very much on the downhill side of his career. Assuming Trout doesn't freeze in the spotlight, I believe he handles Cotto by decision or late stoppage. If Cotto prevails, sounds like his next fight will be Canelo which I believe is a terrible matchup for him (Cotto).