Ricky Hatton To Return On Showtime

BY The Sweet Science ON October 26, 2012

showtimessportsSUPERSTAR RICKY “THE HITMAN” HATTON RETURNS TO SHOWTIME®

SATURDAY, NOV. 24, LIVE AT 5 P.M. ET/PT

Exciting Former Two-Time World Champion Makes First Start in 3½ Years

Against Former WBA Welterweight Titleholder Vyacheslav Senchenko

In A Special, Afternoon Edition of SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING

NEW YORK (Oct. 26, 2012) – Former Two-Time World Champion and British superstar Ricky “The Hitman” Hatton returns to SHOWTIME® for his first fight in 3½ years when he faces former WBA welterweight titleholder Vyacheslav Senchenko on Saturday, Nov. 24, at the Manchester Arena in Manchester, England, live at 5 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the West Coast).

The scheduled 10-round welterweight fight will be a special, afternoon edition of SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING followed by a replay that night on SHOWTIME EXTREME®.

This will be the first comeback fight for Hatton, the offensive-minded 34-year-old slugger, since he retired following his loss to Manny Pacquiao on May 2, 2009, with a record of 45-2 with 32 KOs.

Senchenko (32-1, 21 KOs) is a risky opponent who went undefeated in 31 fights before losing the WBA Welterweight World Title to Paulie Malignaggi in his most recent outing last April 29. The bout in Hatton’s hometown will be only the third professional Senchenko fight outside his native Ukraine.

“This is a very dangerous opponent for a so-called comeback fight,” said Stephen Espinoza, Executive Vice President and General Manager of SHOWTIME Sports. “Ricky is showing us that he wants to challenge himself and immediately put himself back in the mix with the top 147 pounders. There are a number of exciting matchups in this division, and with a win Ricky will be right back in upper echelon of the division.”

One of Britain’s all-time most popular fighters, the crowd-pleasing Hatton is a former IBF and WBA 140-pound champion and WBA 147-pound titlist. Eighteen thousand tickets were purchased for the Nov. 24 event even before an opponent was announced.

Hatton battled depression, suicidal thoughts and ballooning weight after going into a self-imposed exile following the loss to Pacquiao three-and-a-half-years-ago.

“People ask if I should come back, will I win, can I be world champ again. They don’t get it,’’ Hatton said. “I’ve already won. I’m here. I saved myself. The end of the ‘Ricky Hatton Story’ was not being knocked out by Pacquiao. I’m looking forward to getting back in the ring and showing what I can do. I want to get back in the title mix, but you can’t do that by taking easy fights. That’s why I’m taking on this guy.’’

Hatton will be fighting for the 10th time on SHOWTIME, and the seventh time on SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING (he fought three times on ShoBox: The New Generation). He registered the most noteworthy victory of his career in his last appearance on the network when he captured the IBF 140-pound title with an 11th-round TKO over Hall of Famer Kosta Tszyu on June 4, 2005, in Manchester.

If triumphant on Nov. 24, his first fight in 42½ months, Hatton could be looking at several high-profile return bouts in the near future, including a rematch with Malignaggi, the current WBA welterweight champion, who Hatton defeated via 11th-round TKO on Nov. 22, 2008.

With a victory, Hatton would also keep alive his chances for much-desired return bouts against the only two fighters who beat him, Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather.

ultimoshogun says:

I'm thinking Ricky's gonna get wrecked once he gets in there with anyone relevant at 147.

deepwater says:

I think he knows that and is intent on fighting the ukrainian with no pop and pauile 2 jabs no rt hand malignaggi. once he gets those 2 wins he gets to fight khan in super fight in london in 2013 and call it a day. thats my guess

and deepwater, that isnt too bad a plan for a guy whos been out for years and years...
im glad hatton is back, and i hope he fights khan in london, im down for that

If he's smart that exactly what he should do. Imao at Paulie 2 jabs no right hand malignaggi hilarious!!

I think he should have stayed retired. He better stay away from punchers cuz if he doesn't I think it's going to end very bad.

Glen Johnson is back too -- after retiring for a month and a half. And Sugar Shane Mosley has spilled the beans that he will be making a comeback. I told yall dat deze muthasuckas were coming back. Sad to say, but only motorcycles incidence and/or death and severe punch-drunk sydrome finally halt 95 percent of deze jokers from coming back, and of course AGE close to or about Fiddy -- I mean 50 something. Holla!

Glen Johnson is back too -- after retiring for a month and a half. And Sugar Shane Mosley has spilled the beans that he will be making a comeback. I told yall dat deze muthasuckas were coming back. Sad to say, but only motorcycles incidence and/or death and severe punch-drunk syndrome finally halt 95 percent of deze jokers from coming back, and of course AGE close to or about Fiddy -- I mean 50 something. Holla!

toney, Jones, holyfield, Mosley, Johnson, needs to hang en up asap..

Dang SCLA Ali! I'm surprised that you didn't include B-Hop in that list. I guess that you just kno' fo' sho' dat he is one back mother -- "SHUT YO' MOUTH!"

I'm talkin' B-Hop, da baddest oldest mofu in da game today. And you know that I'm spot on! Hehehe! Holla!

Better to die doing what you love than to live doing what you don't.

Better to live to know who you are, instead of dying not knowing yourself, who your momma is/was, who your pops is/was and how many ____ ____ ____ ____ you got it on with the dames, damsels and dolls in reality and wet dreams. Hehehe!

A boxing career is SHORT, but then comes the real regular life of living or the even longer time of being dead in the ground or ashes or in the sea serving as a reef for the marine life.

And double fudge the living dead! Getting hit in da game for too long turns you into one zombie, eye-staring, punk-dunk BYYTTTCCCCHHHHHH! Living dead like a muthafool.

I already told you guys how the claimed greatest P4P by many -- Sugar Ray Robinson -- was in a wheelchair wondering in and out of reality and calling me (not even in school at that time) his Indian [Native American] "grandbabeee!" And you know how toddlers are: They will say anytype of jive that is on their minds. I didn't know that the wheelchaired, wetting-his-pajamas dude was the once great, great Sugar Ray Robinson until GOAT Ali holla at me. But before then, I told SRR that I was not an Indian and not his grandson. SRR was just confused. I will never forget the glazed, stare in his aged, yellow eyes. I wish somebody would have told me that the filmed SRR that I was watching from crib was now an aged guy living in a rest home in LA. Holla!

No doubt until somebody kicks his a$$ I can't tell him he should hang em up