Jermall Charlo Focused on Next Opportunity After Cancelled Card

BY The Sweet Science ON October 23, 2012

Charlo and MeCharlo speaks with the writer. The fighter hopes to secure a fight quickly after a Oct. 26 clash was cancelled. (Rachel McCarson photo)

Junior middleweight prospect Jermall Charlo (9-0, 5 KOs) was looking forward to his fight versus TBA for Friday, October 26th in Austin, Texas. The card was to be put on by fledgling promotional company ICON Promotions at Austin Music Hall.

Charlo, a Houston native who is trained by topflight cornerman Ronnie Shields alongside brother and fellow 154 lb prospect Jermell Charlo, was anxious for a chance to show off his newly refined power and skills, which he says can be attributed to the futuristic training methods he and other Shields’ fighters are now getting with fitness guru Danny Arnold at Plex Boxing.

“I’m feeling good,” he told me when we chatted at Plex during training camp. “I’m feeling better than I’ve ever felt in my life.”

Charlo told me he was looking forward to fighting in Austin, Texas, where he felt he’d have a strong base of supporters and that he had actually turned down another opportunity recently so that he could focus on this one.

The card was to feature Charlo as well as notable San Antonian super featherweight Ivan Najera along with a main even showcase for middleweight contender (and fellow Shields’ disciple) Brian Vera.

Charlo had something special in mind for the card.

“I’ll be fighting for breast cancer awareness,” he told me. “We’ve lost lots of people to cancer. It’s breast cancer month, so hopefully I can help get the word out.”

Unfortunately, the card was cancelled, though a spokesman for ICON Promotions told me they were working hard to set up a new date for the fight card in the not-too-distant future.

“The promoter started having problems with the venue and his insurance for the venue, and so he felt the negatives outweighed the positives,” Event Coordinator OJ McClintock said.

“ICON Promotions decided to postpone the event,” he said. “We’re trying to get another venue for next month.”

For Charlo, the date can’t come soon enough, whether it’s on the postponed ICON Promotions card (tentatively scheduled for next month) or on another card with another promoter. The 22-year-old hasn’t fought since March’s Garcia-Morales I card where he scored an impressive fifth round TKO over journeyman Sean Rawley Wilson, and he’s anxious for another bout.

“Yes I'm so ready to get back in ring,” Charlo told me. “Every fight, I learn something new about my craft. I'm training alongside of my twin brother, and sparring with heavier guys like Edwin Rodriguez, Brian Vera and Erislandy Lara.”

It is all in their minds. They have a placebo effect of this futuristic fakeristic fantasy training at "Plex Boxing."

I keep hearing all these young, green cats say that they are training like "the Russian Ivan Drago, who was in the 'Rocky' Movie." A lot of these kids were super rugrats or not yet born when that dumb-@$$ played on the Big Screen.

Why don't somebodee and dey sidekick tell the kids that in that movie Rocky was out in the cold of Siberia doing old school training, and in the movie ending whupped Drago's New Jack training arse.

Plex Boxing may as well be flushed down a toilet stool. It will never beat old school. Come with ideals of pugilistic evolution, not radical revolution. SWEET SCIENCE, babeeeeee! Not science fiction. Holla!

deepwater says:

I suspect this article was only written about the fighter to try and hype the plex gym. ALot of press releases lately, I wonder if the editor keeps press releases in a binder because you know having a binder these days is like living before electricity.for the good of the children please outlaw all binders, trapper keepers and the dreaded yellow folder.

Wow! Deepwater is taking them to deep waters again. Muthasuckas better learn to pugilistic swim or their @sses will drown. Even though they're still in trouble, because there are pugilistic sharks in those deep waters. And these muthasuckas need to learn that you cannot swim with sharks just because you watched goldfishes in a fishbowl. Holla!

andyborgen says:

Im confused, why are you guys ripping on Plex when all they've done in the past is help thousands of professional athletes. Publicity over there is very common, I see them in the news all the time, and it's not about boxing, but about other topics or sports. I don't know them other than some of my favorite players, like charles woodson, Haloti Ngata and brian cushing, all train there, but if those guys, all of them who are all-pro, choose Plex, I would think that they can do a pretty good job with the boxers.

deepwater says:

i have nothing against plex gym at all, any gym tht helps fighters is good in my book. I was only saying this article was a press release for the gym and it really had nothing to do with charlo. question? would charlo have an article written about him on here if he was not training at plex? i would wager no.

Nobody is ripping Plex Gym. And boxing is the sweet science not science fiction. And NO! New Jack fanasty cannot beat old school reality anymore than fanasty can beat reality. Oh,YUP! Fanasty can get the jump like the hare, but the tortoise will cross that final line FIRST! One-hundred percent of the time.

The wheel has already been invented and evolves. Be leary of those who claim reinventions of the already invented. Dat ain't nuffin' but New Jack revolulationary fantasy for time and of course your bottomline -- dat moolah in those pockets, penny banks and vaulted banks. Holla!

SouthPaul says:

Want to be annoyed by run of the mill mind yawning press releases? Boxingtalkk dot come is the current leader in it. A one time good boxing site is now in serious decline. The best thing they got going for them is Scott Schaefer. G. Leon, holla', what's shaking?????

deepwater says:

lol. g. leon is where boxers careers go to die.hire g leon as an advisor means your career is over. i want to see g leon vs the editor of this site box 3 rounds with 18 oz gloves for charity. boxingtalk vs sweet science in the battle of websites . both guys from ny.gleasons will host it.

deepwater says:

this site would do well to get boz on here. he knows more about the inside and outside of the game. what happened to the clown writer on here who blamed boxing fans for nbc not showing shields fight? he blamed everyone then never mentioned any of her upcoming fights. hypo-crit. if your gonna talk the talk ,then back it up son.