Malignaggi Wins Tight One Over Cano at Barclays

BY Michael Woods ON October 20, 2012

GoldenboyPaul Malignaggi came back home, as he took on Mexican Pablo Cano at the Barclays Center on Saturday night, and Cano didn't come close to putting out a welcoming mat for Paulie, who was born five miles from the new arena. The WBA welter champ's belt wasn't up for grabs, because Cano didn't make the welter limit. If the champ won, he'd keep the belt, and if he lost, he'd also keep the belt. It turns out he won, by a split decision, but many in the stands booed, and leaned to Cano. One judge scored it 118-109 for Cano, while the others had it for Malignaggi, 114-113, 114-113 for the Brooklyner.

Cano had a cut on his left eye, from a punch, in round two. The Bensonhurst-bred hitter, age 31, pumped the jab, but he ate clean, hard shots in the second, though he still perhaps won it. In the third, Malignaggi fought well going backwards and forward. Cano bled fromhis nose and eye by the fifth, but still, he landed hard, clean shots on the Brooklyner.A clean right by Cano was a very showy launch, but was it enough to steal the sixth? The seventh was another tight round, but I was seeing Malignaggi being a little busier, outboxing the Mexican.The cut on the left eye wasn't looking that healthy. In the eighth, Cano kept up with the solid body work. The rounds were tight in the ninth and tenth, as Cano's heavier hands sent sprays of sweat flying off Paulie. In the 11th, down went Malignaggi, off a right in tight. He might have been saved by the bell from another knockdown. A cut formed under Paulie's left eye, but he was busy in the 12th. We went to the cards.

Paulie went 217-826 to 262-757 for Cano, in the stat war.

The bout could have went either way. Holla!

The bout could have went either way. Holla!

Yeah I was cool with the decision but I thought Cano won the fight.

deepwater says:

I was there. Paulie didn't win. Paulie got booed out of the arena. Cano did well and pressed. Did his corner even try and fix his eye? I couldn't see. Fight of night was quillen French guy

dino da vinci says:

Deep, how did you score it?

deepwater says:

Deep, how did you score it?

I scored it cano. I had the fight even after 10. I gave cano credit for effective aggression and maybe be cause of the cut he kept his gloves high and blocked a lot of shots. Paulie jabbed more but every time he jabbed he left his hands low,adjusted his shorts, and cano came forward landing some shots. Cano easily got a 10-8 round in the 11th and I thought he closed the show and took the 12th. So even if Paulie was up by a round or two after10 cano deserved the nod or atleast a draw. I asked the inspector from the corner at ringside what he thought and he said Paulies jab was too slappy and he heard cano punches land.

I said Quillin vs N'Dam would be the fight of the night. I thought Quillin wad about to blow a big lead but he came through in the 12th.

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

I said Quillin vs N'Dam would be the fight of the night. I thought Quillin was about to blow a big lead but he came through in the 12th.

What's up Ali? I remember a few months ago you were asking me why I was high on "Kid Chocolate" and now you know why. He has his flaws because he didn't have much of a amateur career, but he has the heart and power to bang with anyone in the middleweight division. However, he needs to utilize his jab more and his footwork needs improvement.

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

I think Paulie's legs are shot because he was better when he was a stick and move fighter. He stayed in the pocket too much against a fighter with superior size and paid the price. The only reason he won the fight is because he was fighting in Brooklyn. The French guy is actually Cameroonian by birth and hails from the same African country as my wife (Cameroon, the soccer power house). He as a lot of heart, but didn't have the power and chin to stand up to Kid Chocolate.

bigstinkybug says:

Paulie was too whined up for the homecrowd. He is not a homecrowd fighter. He fights better in enemy terrority. It is no doubt a psychological thing with him. Holla!

SouthPaul says:

Agreed. He was more aggressive than usual. He was making those classic VInny Bobarino faces, vintage Italian tough guy from New York type stuff. Lmao.

Yeah I remember he does have things he needs to wrk on but like u said he has heart and power and that's what bell him out last night.

I think its the beginning of the end for Paulie. He was getting hit with right hands all night by a guy who is slow *** hell. His feet are not what they use to be, he has no power and can't fight in the pocket. He's just a C fighter at this point and will get mop by any of the top guys at 147.

[COLOR="red">Cano won that fight... but Paulie looked good, that's saying alot cuz i don't think much of Paulie,as a fighter. [/
QUOTE]
He look like crap homie he's pretty much done

Don't count your whatever. Paulie is not done. Tim Bradley and Juan Manuel Marquez are. TB is having trouble and excuses about a getting back in the ring. Da Manny is gonna finally kayo JMM. So JMM will finally fight Erik Morales in the battle of Mexican legends, and Morales is gonna whup JMM's arse in 2013. And the two greats will finally retire.

Money May is missing because he is secretly hollering at shrinks for PTSD and depression. Danggit! Dude could not handle being slaved down in dat Sin City can. Holla!

dino da vinci says:

Aeeee Scunciglio, but Oohhhh, where you goin' wit dat?

I couldn't disagree more with everything you said in this post.

I'd be shock for you to agree. But in the end -- like always -- l will be spot on, or within 85 to 95 percent righteous like a pimpin' preacher callin' out winners -- I mean sinners! Holla!

SouthPaul says:

Aeeee Scunciglio, but Oohhhh, where you goin' wit dat?

Lmao. Just playful grief for Paulie. He's a funny charater, specially those grins and gestures he makes. I actually have grown to like and respect the man and fighter. Leading into the Cotto bout boy oh boy was I hoping he'd be put to nighty night and tucked in by the gloves of Miguel but after the fight I had great admiration for 'em. He took his beating like a real G! Great losing effort...

bigstinkybug says:

!

[COLOR="red">*Wow.. i dissagree with almost everything on this post.. lol.

Paulie isn't done... i agree. BUT if he wasn't champ, he'd be a top 15 fighter... just like he always has been. He's flashy and durable.. so he's kinda marketable... it ends there.

dino da vinci says:

Lmao. Just playful grief for Paulie. He's a funny character, specially those grins and gestures he makes. I actually have grown to like and respect the man and fighter. Leading into the Cotto bout boy oh boy was I hoping he'd be put to nighty night and tucked in by the gloves of Miguel but after the fight I had great admiration for 'em. He took his beating like a real G! Great losing effort...

By the way

He also did well as a guest commentary for Showtime. Trout did ok this weekend but truthfully... He ain't someone I'd like to listen to reguraly. Nothing stood out.

That's what I heard, that Paulie did a really good job with the commentary. Would like to get a chance to see it.

bigstinkybug says:

QUOTE]
He look like crap homie he's pretty much done

[COLOR="red">*i disagree... Paulie looked pretty good against a good tough well schooled fighter. Someone said"paulie is just a c fighter now"..What was he before? i give him credit.. he won a title... that's more than i ever thought he'd do.

Latest Articles

examiningchilembavscummings
douglasandsorofighttodrawon200thshobox
newsonironboycardcarloscarlsonwin
gennadygolovkinreallygoodgettingbetter
gennadygolovkinvsdanielgealeliveroundbyroundresults
goodboygetsitdonegolovkinstopsgealeinroundthree
bryantjenningsbeatsmikeperezontwoofthreecards
undersizedheavyweightsbattleinmadisonsquaregarden
doncharginhooksonwithgoldenboy
roachcontemplatingtrainingcampwithpacquiaoandcotto

Who's the best Mexican boxer today?