Adrien Broner Fights Antonio Demarco Nov. 17 in AC

BY The Sweet Science ON October 10, 2012

HBOmage001NEW YORK, October 10 - On Saturday, November 17 boxing's most electrifying young star, Adrien "The Problem" Broner will step up in weight to challenge the hard-hitting WBC Lightweight World Champion Antonio DeMarco at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey in the main event of HBO World Championship Boxing®.

In the co-main event, two of the United States' top hopes for heavyweight world championship glory will clash when undefeated Seth "Mayhem" Mitchell takes on once-beaten Johnathon Banks in a 12-round bout for Mitchell's NABO heavyweight title. The fight was originally scheduled for July 14, but was rescheduled when Mitchell suffered a hand injury forcing him to withdraw from the original date.

"I'm not coming just to win this fight, I'm coming to knock DeMarco out," said Broner. "This fight is speed vs. power and it's going to be just another day in the ring for me. Going up in weight is going to be different and I know he can hit, but you can't hit what you can't see and I'm too fast and furious for him. Power is nothing if you can't connect; it's like moving a sack of rocks."

"This is another tough fight that has been presented to me and I'm going to do everything to keep my WBC title," said DeMarco. "Broner talks a big game but he's never been in the ring with a hungry Mexican fighter like me. I wanted this fight from the moment it was offered to me because I know I'll be the first person to beat Broner and put him in his place. When I put my hands on him, he'll regret his decision to move up to my division."

"It's taken a while, but I'm happy to finally be back in action and fighting a great opponent like Johnathon Banks," said Mitchell. "I love fighting in Atlantic City because I know my fans from Maryland and the D.C. area will be out in force cheering me on. I am going to give them all a great fight."

"I'm looking to steal the show on November 17" said Banks. "I'll prove what a true boxer at the highest level can do against a football player. The winner of our fight should be next in line for a title shot. I plan on making sure that winner is me."

"This is the perfect doubleheader the week before the Thanksgiving holiday because I guarantee that when it's over, you'll be thanking these four boxers for two great fights," said Oscar De La Hoya, President of Golden Boy Promotions. "Broner vs. DeMarco is a great mix of styles and we'll see how Adrien handles the move up to lightweight against a hard and accurate puncher like DeMarco. The heavyweight fight between Mitchell and Banks should produce an American heavyweight ready to fight for a world title, and I can't wait to see who prevails."

"I applaud HBO for making this fight a reality because this is the type of fight that boxing fans around the world can appreciate," said New Jersey based promoter, Gary Shaw. "My fighter, world champion Antonio DeMarco, is a warrior and a proud champion who brings nothing but pure excitement to the ring. Broner has never face a fighter like DeMarco or his level of competition. For Antonio it's another fight in which the challenger talks about upsetting the champion, but DeMarco knows what he needs to do to retain his title."

"Atlantic City's reputation was built on hosting boxing's most talented and feared fighters competing in mega-championship bouts that are still talked about to this very day," said Don Marrandino, Eastern Division President for Caesars Entertainment. "Boardwalk Hall is synonymous with legendary names like De La Hoya, Hopkins, Gatti, Holyfield, Tyson, and on November 17th Broner, DeMarco, Mitchell and Banks will add to that traditional."

"Fight fans from coast-to-coast should circle November 17 on their calendars because we have a terrific night of boxing programming lined up," said Kery Davis, Senior Vice President, Programming, HBO Sports. "A lot of questions will get answered, including will Seth Mitchell continue to fast-track through the heavyweight division and can Adrien Broner move up in weight to the 135-pound division and capture a world title belt? The competition in Johnathon Banks and Antonio DeMarco, respectively, will be formidable and we look forward to an exciting night at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City."

Broner vs. DeMarco, a 12-round fight for DeMarco's WBC Lightweight World Championship will take place Saturday, November 17 at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey. The event is promoted by Golden Boy Promotions in association with Gary Shaw Productions, sponsored by Corona, AT&T and Caesars Atlantic City and will be televised live on HBO World Championship Boxing beginning at 10:30 p.m. ET/PT.

Tickets priced at, $200, $100, $50 and $25, plus applicable taxes and service charges, go on sale on Thursday, October 11 at 12:00 p.m. ET and will be available for purchase at the Boardwalk Hall box office, by calling Ticketmaster at (800) 736-1420 or online at ticketmaster.com.

Unbeaten, charismatic and getting better with each fight, 23-year-old Adrien "The Problem" Broner (24-0, 20 KO's) has already won a world championship at 130 pounds, knocking out Vicente Martin Rodriguez in three rounds in November of 2011. He then defended his belt with a fourth round technical knockout victory over then undefeated of Eloy Perez in February and stopped Vicente Escobedo in July. Now, the Cincinnati phenom looks to close out an exciting year on November 17 when he will introduce his improved speed, power and dynamic style to the lightweight division staring with Antonio DeMarco.

Despite Broner's fast start in the fight game, Tijuana southpaw Antonio DeMarco (28-2-1, 21 KO's) believes he will be the first man to solve "The Problem" in the ring. A professional for over eight years, the 26-year-old banger first won the WBC Interim Lightweight World Title in 2009, but lost the belt to Edwin Valero in 2010. Since then, he has looked unstoppable, winning the WBC crown in October of 2011 with an 11th round stoppage of Jorge "El Nino De Oro" Linares and then defending the title twice, knocking out Miguel Roman in five rounds and John Molina in just 44 seconds.

A former standout linebacker for Michigan State University, Seth "Mayhem" Mitchell (25-0-1, 19 KO's) found his true calling in the prize ring and he has quickly built a reputation as the kind of fighter that can reinvigorate the heavyweight division. The 30-year-old is soft spoken outside the ring, but a ferocious competitor between the ropes, and the Maryland resident has blasted through top contenders Timur Ibragimov and Chazz Witherspoon in a combined five rounds, with the latter bout showing that Mitchell not only has the power to succeed, but the heart as well.

Three-time national amateur champion Johnathon Banks (28-1-1, 18 KO's) has earned a PhD in the ring thanks to his work with Emanuel Steward and Wladimir Klitschko over the years and now he's ready to make his run for the heavyweight title. A professional since 2004, Banks' only loss came in a cruiserweight title fight against Tomasz Adamek in 2009 and after that fight, the 30-year-old from Detroit has put together an 8-0-1 record, the perfect way to lead into the biggest fight of his nine-year career.

I've never known what "put him in his place" meant. Broner's place is in Ohio -- RIGHT? Whatever! I hope that DeMarco gives him a stiff test. Broner is more of hype, than one of the p4p best. Holla!

deepwater says:

the first guy that beats broner better have a brush on hand for the interview after.

MisterLee says:

DeMarco finishes him in the mid to late rounds! Holler!

SouthPaul says:

I'm buying into what Broner is selling. He's going to be too fast and too durable for Demarco. Tony's just too light in the *** to hold off the young strong buck. Hopefully, though, Demarco can get to him with some right hands so we can see what Broner's chin is like but in the end I see a Broner ko. 6 thru 11.

Broner said some lightweight negative sh*t about Mayweather SMH. Im starting to think he thinks he better then Mayweather LMAO. Fighting @130 is alot different then fighting at 135 I like Broner but i want to find out how he deals with being hurt or being behind in a fight.

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

@Ali: What did Broner specifically say? I want find out because Broner is always referring to him as big brother. Broner is already a top 10 P4P boxer skill wise, but he needs quality opponents on his resume to solidfy a spot on the charts. If the Demarco that quit against the late Valero shows up, he will get KO/TKO with in 10 rounds. Worst case scenario, Broner wins a boring UD. He is on another level athletically/skill wise in comparison to Demarco. Too mucho, Holler!

Broner is hyped and a poser. But if he can take a punch, he should be able to beat DeMarco. And I bet he doesn't know any "Negrito" Mexicans. "Negrito" is a racist invented word that low self-esteem hoodites accept. Than again, they accept any identity. Holla!

It's amazing to me that Broner gets so much press, I barely heard of this guy 2 or 3 years ago... and his performance against Ponce De Leone left much to be desired.

However,... since the Cable Magnate who airs his fights had a "Come to Jesus" meeting with Broner shortly after his poor showing against De Leone,.. Broners performances in the ring have been nothing short of scintilating...

I don't get too impressed or distressed by the superficial images fighters like to project for profit earning reasons,... but the younger fans are eating it up... ....so more power to him..... Somehow Broner has managed to transform himself into a minor-phenomenom in the last year and a half.

I've watched Demarco fight as a solid "Ham and Egger" on ESPN,..(always providing good entertainment) ... and advance to the status of a competent "Meat and Potatoes Guy" on cable.
Later.....he took his whipping from the psychotic Edwin Valero like a man and came back even more determined than before after the loss.

Demarco is a pleasure to watch because he employs sound basics, works hard and fights whomever they put in front of him with no qualms whatsoever.

He's the kind of fighter who would fight Klitchko if his managers told him he could win... a true trooper.

If Demarco gets past Broner he will have advanced to the rank of "Steak and Lobster" status... he'll become a boxer who can call his own shots.

Honestly I'm still baffled that Demarco didn't hesitate to take this tough assignment when he could have easily passed on Broner and padded his record with softer opposition.

And That's really all that needs to be said about the man..... He's just a brave dude.

However come fight night...Demarco's getting knocked out.

He'll be outgunned.

But If Broner comes into the ring too confident...Demarco is professional enough to take advantage of any errors in Broners game plan.

If I was a betting man I'd put a $thousand$ on the most likely outcome.....which will entail Demarco counting the ceiling lights by rounds 9 or 10.

@ShoulderRoll,...... he was implying that his KO Ratio was better than Floyds.

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

Lol, why are you talking about your homies like that, you were just kicking it with them the other day lol. If they knew you were doing this behind their back they would probably say "kainin mo tae ko."

Shoulder Roll Defense says:

@ShoulderRoll,...... he was implying that his KO Ratio was better than Floyds.

Ignore the sicko liar behind the curtain. OOP! I musta' fo'got! I mean behind the nasty sheet hanging on the window of his ___ ___. We can say it in English of how much s*** he eats. Filthy dude has no respect. So you'd expect M behavior from him. And you know how he swings and his favorite food. Holla!

And then his villian sidesick on super stupid shows up. And help him eat it up. Hehe! Holla!

@ShoulderRoll,...... he was implying that his KO Ratio was better than Floyds.

The reason I have a problem with what he said is it's not true Mayweather was 24-0 with 18kos at 130 and Broner was 24-0 with 20kos against weaker opposition. Let's see how many KOs he gets as he moves up and fights better fighters.

Wow, the youngster usually has high regard for his role model. He knows better than that in his heart; he has a higher KO precentage because he hasn't fought half as many fights as his big brother. We will see how great he is, I love his confidence and I'm rooting for the young man.[/
QUOTE]I cut for him too but im starting to think he's getting a little big headed how can he fix his mouth to say anything negative about someone u admire.

It is just Broner's imagination runnin' away wif him. Ya KNOOOOOW! What does "The Temptations" croon?

"It wuz juz (hiz) imagium'zashunn!' Runnin' away wif HIIIIM!"

Broner kinda reminds ya of da dude who has imagined "Negrito Filipino" brothas just hangin' out on da mean streets of American hoods befriending Money May's Ebonican groupies.

Wow! Only in da cranium of a ____ ___! You can have a groupie/arch-fanfaronade of Money May befriending non-immigrating super prideful, xenophobic, unfriendly-to-out-group blacks, black tribes from the Philippines being boys with Pac-haters in the USA. Hehe! Amazing! YUP! RIGHT! I bet that these "little negros" are hangin' out on da block and at da hood barbershops, holding dey d**ks wif dey baggy pants hangin' down dey @sses and spittin' much jive 'bout da lighter-colored Pinoys being crazy for knowing dat Money May will get kayoed by the National Fist of the P-Islands.

WOW! Alternate reality, reality distortion and make believe is some syet in the "Tales of The Hood." How did I do, SRD? Was dat 'nough gibberish fo' ya an' yo supa' villain bytchkick? Holla!

Agreed Ali, by comparison Floyd came up the rough side of mountain and sets a standard of excellence that Broner can't touch at the moment...there are no Diego Corrals..Castillo's, or Hernandez's on his record yet. But if he keeps doing what he's been doing he's young enough to catch up......Right now Broner is all ambition and no experience.