News On: Dulorme, BJ Flores, Ring 8, La Bomba
Totowa, New Jersey (October 4, 2012) - Gary Shaw Productions in association with Greg Cohen Promotions, DiBella Entertainment, Thompson Boxing Promotions, Universal Promotions, Prize Fight, Joe Deguardia's Star Boxing, and Zanfer Promotions showcase an exciting triple-header boxing event on October 27, 2012, set to take place at Turning Stone Resort Casino in Verona, New York. The three bouts will be televised live on HBO BOXING AFTER DARK® beginning at 10:15 p.m. ET/PT.
"The Oneida Indian Nation is pleased to have HBO Boxing After Dark return to Turning Stone Resort Casino." said Oneida Nation Spokesperson Dan Smith. "Our first-ever HBO boxing event in September drew rave reviews, and we expect this month's card to highlight Turning Stone even further as a top venue in Central New York and across the country for elite-level sports and entertainment."
The 10-round main-event features WBC No. 1, WBA No. 3 and WBO No. 13 ranked undefeated Puerto Rican sensation, Thomas Dulorme (16-0, 12 KOs), who will have his stiffest test to date, when he takes on the WBC No.11 ranked hard-hitting Argentine, Luis Carlos Abregu (33-1, 27KO's).
Dulorme, has had a stellar start to his career with wins over the heavy-handed Venezuelan, Charlie Navarro (22-5, 17 KOs), and his most recognized victory comes against former world champion DeMarcus "Chop Chop" Corley (39-19-1, 23 KOs).
"I am very grateful to Gary Shaw for giving me the opportunity to be fighting on HBO for the first time," Dulorme said, a fighter represented promotionally by Gary Shaw Productions, Universal Promotions and DiBella Entertainment. "This is what every fighter dreams and I am extremely excited to showcase my skills on an international platform."
"Abregu is a good fighter and I know this is a tough fight, so I am preparing thoroughly to be in the best possible shape for fight night. My trainer Bonilla and I have been working hard in the gym and we want to dedicate this victory to the people of Puerto Rico. I will fight hard to not disappoint my fellow Puerto Ricans and the entire Latin community."
"Thomas Dulorme is one the most exciting and promising young fighters in all of boxing and on October 27th he will prove it against Abregu live on HBO." said Lou DiBella.
"We're happy and excited for this opportunity." said Universal promoter Javier Bustillo who promotes Dulorme with Shaw and DiBella. "Dulorme will show the world what he is made of and we are confident that Dulorme will beat Abreu and become a world champ soon."
Abregu, is no stranger to the big stage as he lost a hard fought unanimous decision to current WBO Welterweight champion, Timothy Bradley Jr. (29-0, 12 KOs), who in his last fight defeated Manny Pacquiao. The Abregu vs. Bradley fight was televised live on HBO. Since the loss, Abregu is on a four-fight winning streak, all of which he won by KO."
"Dulorme has never been in the ring with a hard puncher like me," said Abregu. "I will break him down with power shots, something he's never experience before. A win against Dulorme will put me back on track to fight for a world title. Nothing is going to stop me from coming out victorious."
The co-feature will showcase San Francisco's undefeated WBO/NABO Jr. Welterweight champion, Karim "Hard Hitta" Mayfield (16-0-1, 10 KOs), as he will defend his NABO title vs. Southern California's, Mauricio Herrera (18-2, 7 KOs), in a bout scheduled for 10-rounds. Both fighters look to take advantage of their HBO debuts.
Earlier this year in the month of May, Mayfield ranked No. 6 in both the WBO and WBA, scored a devastating knockout against former undefeated prospect, Raymond Serrano (18-1, 8 KOs). Looking to capitalize on his most impressive win, Mayfield is ready to show the world why he belongs with the elite fighters in his loaded division.
"My golden opportunity has finally arrived and I'm not going to let it pass me bye." Mayfield said, "I've waited a long time for this opportunity to fight on HBO and I earned everything the hard way, by winning in the ring. Come fight night, Herrera better be ready for a war, because I'm coming out guns blazing."
Eager to get back in the win column, Herrera ranked No. 8 in the IBF, is looking to rebound from a loss to undefeated contender Mike Alvarado (33-0, 23 KOs), is .
"Mayfield is a good fighter, but I believe I have better boxing skills then he does," stated Herrera. "I've faced the better competition and my experience will guide me to victory. I'll be ready for anything Mayfield brings to the ring."
Opening the HBO telecast will be a 12-round IBF LIGHTWEIGHT WORLD title bout between champion, Miguel Vazquez (31-3, 13 KOs) and No. 1 contender, Marvin Quintero (25-3, 21 KOs). Both fighters hail from Mexico and look to bring an exciting bout to an already action packed card.
Vasquez is riding a 10-fight winning streak and has only tasted defeat against undefeated world champions, Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (41-0-1, 31 KOs) and Timothy "Desert Storm" Bradley (29-0, 12 KOs), both of which were above the lightweight division where he is the current IBF Champion. Feeling unbeatable at lightweight, Vasquez is determined to come out victorious when he steps in the ring with Quintero.
"I believe I'm the best lightweight champion in the world," said Vasquez, "My only losses have come against the best fighters in the world in higher weight classes. I'm unstoppable at lightweight and Quintero will realize who the real champion is when we face each other on October 27th."
Quintero is undefeated in his last five bouts, winning all of them by knockout. Being that this is his first world title opportunity, he wants to prove he's an elite fighter and a win against Vasquez will do that.
"As a fighter you always dream of becoming a world champion and my time has come to show the world that I'm for real," says Quintero. "Vasquez is a great champion, but come fight night, I'm going to take his title and end his reign as IBF Champion."
Quintero is trained by Romulo Quirarte, who also trains Antonio Demarco, the current WBC Lightweight Champion.
"I want to thank HBO, the Turning Stone Resort Casino, and all the promoters who've united to make this event a reality," stated lead promoter Gary Shaw. "The card is stacked from top to bottom as the undercard will showcase some of the best young prospects in boxing. We will announce those fights soon. Everyone should tune into HBO on October 27th, because this is going to be an explosive night of boxing."
Tickets for the October 27, HBO Boxing After Dark event range from $25 to $75 and are on sale at the Turning Stone Resort Casino Box Office. Call (315) 361-7469 or visit www.Ticketmaster.com. Doors open up at 6:30 p.m. and the undercard begins at 7:30 p.m EST with the HBO live national broadcast starting at 10:15 p.m. EST.
SPRINGFIELD, MO (October 4, 2012)—Once-beaten David McNemar has stepped in for the injured Ahmed Samir and will take on world rated BJ Flores in a ten round Cruiserweight bout that will be contested for the NABA and NABO titles at the Shrine Mosque.
McNemar of Parkersburg, West Virginia has a record of 13-1 with ten knockouts, is coming off his lone defeat which was a razor thin unanimous decision to undefeated and world ranked Ryan Coyne (16-0) on June 25, 2011.
The decision was close to the point that the verdict was booed in Coyne’s hometown of St. Louis.
This will be the fourth fight in fifteen months for Flores (27-1-1, 17 KO’s) as he has scored stoppages over Nick Iannuzzi (16-2) & in his last bout he stopped Hugo Pineda (39-5-1) on January 28th in Springfield.
“I am looking forward to fighting in front of my hometown fans again”, said Flores.
“After Samir pulled out, we offered the fight to five or six undefeated guys but McNemar was the one who stepped up to the plate and accepted. I know he is coming to win, so I expect a tough fight but at the end of the day I am ranked very high across the board and it’s very possible and even likely that I will fight for a title in my next fight , so I can’t look past McNemar
More than 2900 fans are expected at the Shrine Mosque and all the high end $120 tickets are gone. The fight will be televised by local CBS affiliate KOZL
The undercard will see Joell Godfrey (14-8-1, 6 KO’s) of East St. Louis battle Galen Brown (38-20-1, 23 KO’s) of St. Joseph, MO in eight round Heavyweight bout.
Will Grover (7-1, 7 KO’s) of Springfield will take on pro debuting Devian Golden in a four round Cruiserweight bout.
Kevin Bookout (4-1, 1 KO) of Springfield battles Frankie Paines (12-3, 10 KO’s) of Colombia in a six round Cruiserweight bout
Pro debuting Landon Dirks will take on Dakota Talbot (0-2) in a four round Heavyweight bout.
Dillon Cook (1-0) of Seneca, MO boxes Jimmy Hendrix (PD) in a four round Middleweight fight.
Rounding out the card will be Yankton Southern (2-5, 2 KO’s) of Springfield fighting Daniel Miranda in a Jr. Welterweight bout
Tickets cost$ 120 (SOLD OUT), $ 60, $30 & $ 20 and can be purchased at the Shrine Mosque or www.metrotix.com
NEW YORK (October 2, 2012) – Ring 8 will host a commemorative ceremony for the old Sunnyside Garden Arena this Saturday afternoon ( October 6), starting at 12 noon (ET), highlighted by the unveiling of a monument on the site of the former sports venue at 44-10 Queens Boulevard in Sunnyside, New York.
The Sunnyside Garden Arena monument reads: This monument is in honor and dedicated to those men who fought in the amateurs and professional bouts.
Originally built in 1926 by railroad baron, Jay Gould, as a private tennis club, the property was sold in 1945 and became a public arena, hosting amateur and professional boxing, wrestling, roller derby and kick-boxing during the next 32 years. Several films were shot there, including Mr. Universe in 1951, starring Vincent Edwards, and President John F. Kennedy campaigned in front of Sunnyside Garden Arena in 1960.
Boxing, however, was its main attraction, seating 2000 with tickets back costing only $4.00 for general admission and $8.00 for ringside. Before television, Sunnyside Garden Arena served as sort of a minor league system for boxing, noted by the Ring 8 member and Daily News cartoonist, the late Bill Gallo, whose father reported fights for the New York Sun. Fighters who consistently won fights at Sunnyside Garden Arena often graduated to the Mecca in Manhattan, Madison Square Garden.
Some of the more notable boxers who fought at Sunnyside Garden Arena between 1945 and 1977 included Emile Griffith, Bob Cassidy, Gerry Cooney, Jose Torres, Oscar Bonevena Sr., Eddie Gregory and Archer brothers, Jimmy and Joey. Other Ring 8 members who also fought there included Henny Wallitsch, Bobby Bartels, John Colon, Tommy Englehardt and Lenny Mangiapane.
“Ring 8 is proud to remember Sunnyside Garden Arena and honor the great boxers who fought there for more than three decades,” Ring 8 president Bob Duffy said. “Sunnyside Garden Arena still has a lot of meaningful memories for many of our Ring 8 members. In 1977, Sunnyside Garden Arena was razed to build the Wendy’s franchise that is there now, but boxing memories from that site will live forever. This monument guarantees that Sunnyside Garden Arena will never be forgotten.”
Formed in 1954 by an ex-prizefighter, Jack Grebelsky, Ring 8 became the eighth subsidiary of what was then known as the National Veteran Boxers Association – hence, RING 8 – and today the organization’s motto still remains: Boxers Helping Boxers.
RING 8 is fully committed to supporting less fortunate people in the boxing community who may require assistance in terms of paying rent, medical expenses, or whatever justifiable need.
Go on line to www.Ring8ny.com for more information about RING 8, the largest group of its kind in the United States with more than 350 members. Annual membership dues is only $25.00 and each member is entitled to a buffet dinner at RING 8 monthly meetings, the third Tuesday of every month, excluding July and August. All active boxers, amateur and professional, are entitled to a complimentary RING 8 yearly membership.
WORCESTER, MA (October 4, 2012) - Fresh off his thorough destruction of previously unbeaten Jason Escalera last Saturday night on HBO Boxing After Dark, undefeated Dominican dandy Edwin "La Bomba" Rodriguez (22-0, 15 KOs) is targeting world champions and top 10 contenders in the super middleweight division.
The only problem for Rodriguez last Saturday evening was getting glitter from Escalera's trunks off his face.
"I'm ready to fight the best at 168-pounds," Rodriguez said. "I wanted to make a major statement in my last fight and did. I've feel that I've earned a world title shot. I trust my promoter, Lou DiBella, and manager, Larry Army, to get my world title shot as soon as possible. I'll fight anybody they put in the ring with me, whether it's a world champion, or a top contender. My time is now."
Having gained invaluable experience sparring with the likes of past and present world champions such as Carl Froch, Chad Dawson, Daniel Geale, and Jean Pascal, the 27-year-old Rodriguez has developed into a complete fighter in the past year working with head coach Ronnie Shields in his last four fights.
The super middleweight division is still somewhat muddled. World Boxing Council (WBC)/World Boxing Association (WBA) World champion Andre Ward is clearly the contemporary King who has options to pick-and-choose his next opponent. However, if the WBC strips him for also being the WBA champion, something that governing body has threatened to do, Rodriguez could be involved in a box-off as the No. 3 contender along with relatively unknown Nikola Sjekloca ranked No. 1, one spot ahead of veteran Sakio Bika.
International Boxing Federation (IBF) title-holder Froch has his dance card full with a title defense November 17 vs. Yusaf Mack, followed by a contractually required rematch in the spring with the former champion he defeated for the crown, Lucian Bute, and later next year a mandatory against the winner of the October 12th IBF title eliminator between Adonis Stevenson and Donovan George. (Rodriguez defeated George this past March by 10-round unanimous decision for the United States Boxing Association championship.)
Therefore, the most likely title shot opportunity for Rodriguez, at least in the immediate future, is December 15 against World Boxing Organization (WBO) champion Arthur Abraham in Germany.
"We're confident in traveling to Germany to fight Abraham," Rodriguez' manager Larry Army remarked, "as long as it's broadcast in America in case there's questionable judging. We believe Edwin is ready right now to face any of the world champions. If we're unable to secure a world title shot, we want to fight the best available top 10 contender like Jermain Taylor or Kelly Pavlik, and even Andy Lee would make for a good fight.
"Edwin has fought three B+ fighters in his last three fights - (Will) Rosinsky, George and Escalera. Edwin is always looking to challenge himself and he's approaching his peak. He is ready to make his mark in the super middleweight division."
Rodriguez is rapidly building a strong following, too. He's also rated No. 4 by the IBF and No. 8 by the WBA, as well as No. 9 by The Ring Magazine, in addition to fighting seven times on national television: twice on HBO (headlining Boxing After Dark once vs. Escalera), three times on Showtime (twice in the ShoBox main event), and twice on ESPN Friday Night Fights.
His last six opponents had an accumulative record of 96-7-3 when they stepped into the ring to face Rodriguez. What's missing from his boxing resume is a world title and/or victory against a top 10 contender.
Rodriguez represents the future of the super middleweight division. If he's offered the Dec. 15 title fight against Abraham, the future could come sooner rather than later.
Follow Edwin Rodriguez on Twitter @labombaboxing.