The Bryant Jennings-Deontay Wilder Twitter Beef

BY The Sweet Science ON September 28, 2012

Main-EventsThe latest news in the increasingly entertaining American heavyweight boxing scene is an attempt by Main Events and hall-of-fame matchmaker, J. Russell Peltz, to match their undefeated heavyweight prospect, Bryant Jennings, with Oscar De La Hoya and Golden Boy Boxing’s big man bell cow and 2008 Olympic bronze medalist, Deontay Wilder.

It’s been quite the war of words on twitter so far, mostly stirred up (and therefore out into the open) by Main Events’ Nicole Duva via the promotional company’s twitter account.

“Deontay @BronzeBomber Wilder called out Bryant @BYJennings so we've offered him a fight against BY in the main event on Dec. 8th on @NBCSN,” Duva tweeted yesterday.

Today, Duva indicated the offer was rebuffed by Golden Boy.

“Not a surprise: Deontay @BronzeBomber Wilder just passed on offer to fight Bryant @BYJennings in NBCSN main event on Dec. 8th,” Nicole tweeted.

For his part, Wilder refutes the offer having ever been made to him at all, but it’s likely his handlers simply wouldn’t come to him with an offered fight unless they were seriously considering it for him.

@Main_Events @BYJennings lol what a joke I knew this was a promotion stunt cause D Wilder ain't turn down nothing lol #wow,” Wilder tweeted in amazement.

A short time later, Duva tweeted out a picture of the email offer letter sent by Peltz to Golden Boy counterpart Eric Gomez (with the amount offered for the fight redacted, of course).

So what exactly is there to make of all this? Here are three key things.

• If you’re a boxing fan and you aren’t on twitter yet, you’re missing out. Don’t think of it as Facebook or any other type of social media outlet you don’t like because you’re Aunt Betty or whoever keeps tabs on you with it. Instead, think of it like you do any other boxing news outlet you might subscribe to and keep it that way by only following boxers, boxing writers and promotional companies. It’s well worth it.

• This fight was likely dead as soon as Main Events tweeted about it on twitter. How do I know? Because big-time matchups like this don’t get made by promoters on twitter. They happen behind closed towards with all the proper players involved. A promoter would only tag a fighter out in the open like this for one of two reasons. Either negotiations aren’t going well (or are expected to fail) so the promoter is making a last ditch attempt to salvage the proposal, or the promoter is a complete amateur. I assure you Duva and Peltz are no amateurs.

• As much as I like Wilder as a prospect AND as much as I like this match-up, pitting him against a tough nut like Bryant Jennings would be the wrong move in my opinion. He hasn’t faced the level of competition Jennings has been in with yet, so it’d probably be a better approach for Golden Boy to put him in with that level of competition first (the level Jennings has already proven himself against) before actually facing the fighter himself. Still, the heavyweight boxing fan in me would rather just see these two guys throw caution to the wind and get in the ring as soon as possible.

I reached out to both parties for comment on the matter. Duva indicated Gomez replied to the offer letter from Peltz by email saying only that Wilder was already scheduled to fight on December 15th. It’s worth noting, perhaps, such an event is not yet listed on Golden Boy’s website or Boxrec.com, and that Wilder seems unaware of it as well.

Meanwhile, Gomez has been unavailable for comment.

deepwater says:

twitter beefs are too feminin . larry holmes wouldnt be on twiiter. larry holmes would be jumping over a car to choke out trevor berbick. wilder looks like a big uncoordinated stick. jennings looks like a real fighter at least. golden boy got a dud with wilder

Wilder should change his name to Pootang Childer. Man up in dat squared jungle, and quit that BYTCH Twitter barking. Let's be men, instead of barking kanines. Holla!

I love twitter beef!

A chameleon loves to blend in with it all. Holla!

ODisappointed.... was hoping a real fight was in the making. Bryant is super athletic and makes up for his lack of experience with savvy aggression somewhat like P4P canidate Sergio Martinez does....Bryant is still green but he's been battle tested.

But he's still Too short and too easy to hit to handle the likes of a stringbean killer like Wilder ,....who would crush the fresh young prospect like a bushel of fresh-picked San-Fernando valley grapes. ....and Wilder's still quick enough with his feet to maneuver the limited Bryant into position and dispose of him quickly like a used pamper. Wilder has fought nothing but bums but his KO power is real. Too real for Bryant.... too real for Seth Mitchell .......and all too real for Fury...Wilder needs to fight somebody like Adamek or Areola for a real test.... Bold prediction for sure...you heard it here first.

deepwater says:

hey man your going out on a limb with that pick. i would pick 7 ft julius long over wilder.

I can see why you'd say that. Wilder is being protected as carefully as a young Chavez Jr or Canelo Alvarez. His 24 KO victims have been as hopeless as getting an interest free loan from a pawn shop.

But the kid ain't clumsy at all ....Wilder is very proficient in moving around the ring as evident during the extremely rare times when he's been pressed.

And his long right closes the distance as quickly as Zeus can hurl a thunderbolt from Mt Olympus and connects with the concussive force of Thor's hammer being thrown at point blank rage.

Wilder is a completely untested force of nature... so much so.... that no human alive can withstand the blunt trauma impact of his thunderous punches.
But he world really needs to see what Wilder is capable of when faced with adversity... Wilder is ready... and has been begging for an opportunity to prove himself.

Apparently his management team wants to make sure Wilder is capable of producingTysonesque Gold before they finally take the top-heavy stringbean killer to the next level.

A Jack-and-the-Beanstalk type is gonna to murda' da "Bronze [Bum -- I mean] Bomber," if he ever steps UP! Dude ain't a doc/bro Klitschko. He's worse than 7-foot Julius Long, Valuev and the near-7-foot Nigerian Henry Akinwande -- a WBO titlebelt holder from the 1990s -- combined.

Boxing is "the threatre of the unexpected." So you will never know what fix is going down. Or Childer -- I mean Wilder -- maybe will win a Primo Canera-type of title. Who knows. Maybe one of the K-bro/doc will take a BIG dive for BIG bucks and cover up his eyes from the bright lights and embarrassment just like Jack Johnson covered up his eyes from the bright sun and embarrassment from taking a payoff deal to make sorry-a$$ giant Jess Willard look real 97 years ago. Hahaha! Holla!

Long, Valuev, ect ain't nearly got the power that Wilder has. If he hits anybody with his right hand they are going to sleep period. I must admitt he is still green but im with brownsugar I think he would still be able to beat Jennings.

STFU SCLA Ali! Ease outta a playa's grill. Wilder is a never-gonna-make it. I know the type. If he hits marshmallows, graveyard dwellers and fights on life machines, they will play possum, as they have been doing. Wilder is an Ebonican ice cream shake. Holla!

Come and Shut me the Fu*k up u mark. Why are u getting so emotional about my last post it wasn't even directed towards you stop being so sensitive brah.

Hehehe! WTF! Danggit! Republican Romney -- I mean SCLA Ali, you crack me up! What in the double fudge is a "mark?" Is that some racist coded, slick shyt? Don't be mad! Wilder is a long-tall Hisham Rahman copy. Da ___ ___ is gonna get his arse busted up by every fighter outta Europe. We even have a fighter outta China that will torch his arse. The days of the Yank Ebonican tallies and fatties ruling that sorry division of heavies are gone. Holla!

Lol you don't know what a mark is? I thought you rolled with Snoop LMAO. Who is this heavyweight out of China?

Of course I roll with Uncle Snoop Doggie dog. And NO! I don't know what "mark" is used by SCLA Ali. And China Time is COMIN,' BOOOY! We are going to put it on da world -- shock da MUTHA! Holla!

What's the name of the fighter from China? I want to do some research on him.

C'mon,'man! I'm not a feeder. I'm a breeder! Doin' it in da PARK! Doin' outta dark! Oh, MARK! Make her BARK!

In da boksing game, China TIME is gonna make a BIG SPARK! He's coming to the USA and whuppin' every arse light and dark!

SCLA Ali, don't jive wif uh MARK! Cause I got a mean bite' not a weak bark! And I can Hip hop Nation fite! Don't make me go Markey Mark and show up on your site. Hahaha! Holla!

Wilder needs to step up. Make a move, fight SOMEBODY. Jennings would be a perfect test. I think Wilder is a dud. If he was good he would have done something by now.