Bigtime Boxing Back in Brooklyn/Who Do Ya Like, Garcia or Morales in the Rematch?

BY The Sweet Science ON August 22, 2012

Goldenboy--Tickets on Sale Wednesday, August 29 at 10:00 a.m. ET--

BROOKLYN (August 22, 2012) - Big-time boxing returns to Brooklyn after more than a 50-year hiatus on Saturday, October 20, when Golden Boy Promotions presents the first boxing event at the new Barclays Center. Televised live on SHOWTIME, the night will feature a star-studded boxing card including two world championship fights and a host of New York's top talents.

The main event will feature unbeaten Danny "Swift" Garcia defending his WBA Super, WBC & Ring Magazine Super Lightweight World Championships against the man he defeated to win the WBC belt, legendary Mexican warrior and future Hall of Famer Erik "El Terrible" Morales. In the co-featured bout, Brooklyn's own Paulie "Magic Man" Malignaggi risks his WBA Welterweight World Championship against hard-hitting Pablo Cesar "El Demoledor" Cano.

Tickets start at $50 and go on sale to the general public on Wednesday, August 29 at 10:00 a.m. ET and will be available at www.barclayscenter.com, www.ticketmaster.com, all Ticketmaster locations, or at 800-745-3000.

Brooklyn Nets All Access season ticket buyers have the opportunity to purchase tickets for Barclays Center events before the general public. Fans are encouraged to visit www.barclayscenter.com and follow @BarclaysCenter on Twitter and Facebook (facebook.com/BarclaysCenter) for the latest updates and special pre-sale offers.

Barclays Center and Golden Boy Promotions previously announced a multi-year deal in which they will hold at least 12 events annually at Barclays Center. It has been more than a half century since Brooklyn was a significant hub of the sport of boxing.

The explosive night of boxing is presented by Golden Boy Promotions in association with Box Latino and supported by Golden Boy Promotions sponsors Corona, DeWalt Tools and AT&T. The SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING telecast begins live at 9:00 p.m. ET. Preliminary fights will air live on SHOWTIME EXTREME® beginning at 7:00 p.m. ET.

All participants, along with Golden Boy Promotions President Oscar De La Hoya, Barclays Center CEO Brett Yormark and SHOWTIME Sports Executive Vice President and General Manager Stephen Espinoza will participate in a press conference scheduled for Thursday, August 30 at the New York Marriott at Brooklyn Bridge, the official hotel of Barclays Center, in downtown Brooklyn to officially announce these fights and others. More details will be announced soon regarding the press conference.

I like Morales. But Garcia will probably win in easy fashion. A stoppage would not surprise me. Holla!

Don't think this confrontation has many debating points.

Morales shouldn't even be able to share the ring with Garcia.

We all know that one of boxings greatest traditions is running the old guys out of the ring.... the hard way...
convincing them that they're too old... too slow, and too far past their prime to get back their faded glory.

I pick Garcia to present a much more convincing argument this time even though the first fight was closer than it should have been.

deepwater says:

I think morales will win. Gallbladder surgery messes your body up, I can't believe he didn't postpone first fight. Either way I expect a great fight and I think I'm gonna go to the fight. First boxing at Barclays should be cool

SouthPaul says:

Damned those rematch clauses but hey... At least it isn't a PPV event. I won't outright pick Morales but neither will I outright disregard his chances. Tough skilled mean sob he is... Met many fighters in my time.. Homey was intimidating and serious as they come. Viva Tijuana!

the tally is 3-2, maybe it'll be a better fight than expected. Gall bladder operations factor in, Old School determination may play a role..... A little more left in the tank than expected. .... ......bring it on.
I'm changing my status from a total rout to an entertaining UD for Garcia.

This bout could end up being trainer against trainer. And if that is the case, I hope that Pops Morales kick da stuffing outta Poppa Garcia. I wonderful what stupid, bigoted jive that he will come up with against Morales? Holla!

riverside says:

I wish the best for the El terrible. Garcia pops feels like he has the world by the balls after his son ko...ing Khan and his bold prediction. I got Garcia starting fast and taking the fight to Morales, unlike the first fight where Garcia showed to much respect for the aging warrior. Garcia pops would like nothing better than stoping Morales and then calling out the top dawgs!!!. the scenerio I envision is either Garcia stops him early, taking the fight to El terrible or Garcia while taking the fight to the aging lengend makes mistakes and Morales capitalizes on them and makes the fight interesting just like Maidana pressured morales... prediction.... Garcia blows him away early or wins in decision.....Go!!! El terrible Morales.

riverside says: