Promoter Joe DeGuardia Lucky To Be Alive After Car Crash

BY Michael Woods ON July 30, 2012

p366049706-3Promoter Joe DeGuardia was putting in his due dilligence, tallying up the receipts, paying the boxers, making sure the venue was squared away after his show at the Paramount in Huntington, Long Island Saturday night.

Finally, after 3:30 AM, he hopped in his brand new Mercedes, and, pleased that the 20th anniversary show of his Star Boxing went well, headlined by a Chris Algieri win, he traveled back to his Bronx home. DeGuardia, a former amateur standout who knows full well that a fight can turn in the blink of an eye, was traveling on the Long Island Expressway, when he was struck, head-on, by a Honda driven the wrong way, allegedly with its lights off. A 23 year old man was in control, and he perished upon impact, while his female passenger was critically injured. DeGuardia, though, walked from his car, which was wrecked.

'I'm incredibly lucky to be alive," said DeGuardia, age 49. "I'm in quite a bit of pain, but I'll be fine. I wish to express my deepest and most sincere appreciation for the outpouring of true concern. I am humbled and honored by the emails, calls, texts, Twitter, Facebook and all other means of support I have received from all over the country and world from people in all aspects of my life, particularly including those in boxing, fans as well. My thoughts and prayers are also extended to the families of the young man who lost his life and particularly his passenger. My prayers are with the young woman as she struggles for life."

The late man and the name of his passenger have not been made public.

On Friday, DeGuardia had this to say about the anniversary of his company, and his future.

"We've got a great team of fighters under the Star Boxing banner, from Algieri and Cletus Seldin along with Manny Gonzalez who's fighting for the New York State Title on Saturday night to Delvin Rodriguez who was in the 2011 Fight of the Year which we promoted at the Roseland Ballroom. We also have Jason Escalera facing Edwin Rodriguez on HBO at Foxwoods Casino on September 29th. Additionally we promote world ranked junior middleweight Demetrius Andrade, and heavyweight prospect Joe Hanks along with many other future champions and contenders, so the future looks very bright and we're looking forward to many more years of promoting world class events."

Gives you a bit of perspective, doesn't it?

deepwater says:

prayers to Joe. degaurdia was a better prospect then the kid algeri he has now.

SouthPaul says:

Whoa! Im. Tipping. That very day... Same date...hours before... One year ago... I too got wrapped up by a wreck-less driver. Broken hip, fractured spine...surgery to follow...7 days in the hospital. Fully recovered now..did a seven mile run to celebrate on Saturday. Broken hip is joke.. Worst pain ever. Wahhhhhhhh, crying like a biaaaaaatch! Lmao

Wow! We are glad that you made it, SouthPaul. Living is so dang risky. It makes me wanna drink a ton of whisky! Hehehe! IT'S ALL GOOD. God's Speed in Promoter Joe getting well. Holla!

mortcola says:

Shocking - he put on an excellent card, I left, he goes to post-fight, and then WHAM! Cherish your lives and luck, friends. Glad he's OK.

mortcola says:

prayers to Joe. degaurdia was a better prospect then the kid algeri he has now.

I wasn't impressed with Algieri - good chin, good lead hook, lots of loose ends and rough edges.

dino da vinci says:

Ditto Radam

SouthPaul says:

4sho', Radam. I'm glad to be here to tell the tale and talk the science. Lol. Much love for the medics, doctors, nurses and even the janitor who cleaned my room. Those were my gods that night. I'd like to know the exact model of Mercedes Joe was driving. Thinking it helped save his life?

deepwater says:

I wasn't impressed with Algieri except for some heart, decent chin, good lead and counter hook...lots of loose ends and rough edges...lots of inaccurate, wasted punches, leaves his chin hanging out when he punches, easy to hit. If Tovar had thrown more, it was his fight to take.
yeah I respect any guy that gets in the ring but joe d is really bullsh7tting the public on the kids ability. he isnt that good and he has no amatuer experince and learned thru kickboxing so of course he doesnt have a boxing base. chris a has a good chin and good endurance but very very limited boxing skill. so expect a few more easy pickings for this kid as they hype him up.When I was captain of my wrestling team we pounded his team so I have to rub it in.lol

deepwater says:

SouthPaul says:

Today while driving I was reminded of an epidemic we are facing in the rat race of life. It's not only drunk drivers... Not only speeders or uninsured motorist endangering the public. Aggressive bully drivers. Huge problem. Would like to see a crackdown. That or rewind a hundred years or so and let a man settle his dispute with his peacemaker. Some say it would be road rage but I bet there's a lawyer who could convince a jury it was self defense. Judd Burstien surely could! With a man is bearing down on you in a full sized SUV and is clearly creating a very dangerous road situation.. To me it's as bad maybe worse than someone pulling out their Glock 45 and firing off a few rounds in ones direction.

Joe DeGaurdia, you're a lucky man indeed to have walked away with your life. Good for you!