Antonio Margarito Retires

BY The Sweet Science ON June 08, 2012

The announcement came via Facebook

tonysparring2Dear Family, Friends, and Fans,

After twenty-two years of full dedication to the profession I love, I have made the decision to announce my retirement from boxing. After much thought and extended conversations with my family and team, we have all agreed that the time to hang up my gloves and begin a new chapter in life has arrived. I always told my family and team that I would walk away from boxing when I felt I could no longer compete at the level I believed I needed to be, in order to be successful. Although the passion and drive are still there, I have to accept that my time to walk away has arrived.

I want to take this opportunity to thank Michelle and my family for their support, encouragement, and most of all, their love. Not only did they give me their unconditional love and support during the good times, their love and support grew larger during the times that I was at my lowest. I also want to thank my team, Sergio Diaz Jr and Francisco Espinosa. They are not only my management, they are my family. For sixteen years, they guided my career and did what was best for me. To my trainers, without your drive and motivation, I would not have had the success. You were an integral part of my career. I thank you for your dedication. I want to thank my promoters, Bob Arum, Todd duBoef, and everyone at Top Rank. I am proud to say that I began and ended my career with a great promotional company. As a non privileged child, I had dreams. I dreamt of giving my family a better life. I dreamt of owning a car, owning a home, traveling the world, and helping others in need. Bob, I thank you for helping me fulfill those dreams. Finally, I want to thank all of my fans for their love and loyal support. Without you, there would be no Antonio Margarito.

I leave the cuts, bruises, and sweat, but I’m not leaving the sport. I will continue in the sport that gave me so much, Now, however, it is time for me to give back to the sport.

ultimoshogun says:

Margarito shoulda used Tony Montana's line from Scarface..."Say goodbye to the bad guy...C'mon...This the last time you gonna see a bad guy like this again, let me tell you." Margarito was as tough as they come and except for the hand wrap incident had all my respect.

dino da vinci says:

@Ultimo. I've mentioned in the past how much I loved this kid real early in his career. How I felt he was going to go on to be a great. How, during a window when Sergio and El Sette Mare were contemplating exiting boxing, they had three fighters I was interested in. (Never did get to work with any of them). I just want to say a couple of things. 1. Someone, somewhere altered his style. He wasn't always the "Killer Robot" that Editor Michael Woods referred to him as. And that is too bad because he might have been special. 2. "except for the hand wrap incident..." Well, I just can't find my way past 'the incident'. Antonio does not realize what is occurring at the end of one of his appendages? He crossed a line he shouldn't have, and should have received a lifetime suspension.

Who the fu$k cares!!!!!!

This cheating bum doesn't get a hero's send off, we don't know how many times Margarito has gotten away with cheating other boxers.
He leaves the game filthy rich and under a cloud of suspicion.

really didn't have choice since his face was rearranged.

Margarito's entire career and all he achieved went out the window the night he got his hands wrapped for Mosley. Don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you Cheato.

MichealEmeka says:

While one is in pensions, Margarito also made the right choice to withdraw.
According to Mexican media, the former world champion welterweight, Mexican Antonio Margarito (38-8-0) will soon announce the end of his career as a professional boxer. Margarito could retire because of his problems to the eye.
At the same time, in every battle his eye swelled, and prevented him from finishing his fight. He did well.