Cotto, Margarito, Arum Speak At Postfight Presser...WOODS

BY Michael Woods ON December 04, 2011

Cotto Margarito 111203 003aPOSTFIGHT PRESSER

Miguel Cotto said he will rest a few weeks and then plan his next bout. He didn't dismiss Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

---Cotto said his face speaks volumes. After the first fight, it was a fright mask. The implication is that in 2008, Margarito was using plaster on his fists.

---Margarito said at the presser he felt fine mentally and physically. He said Cotto's mom went to him and asked if Miguel hits like a girl, and he said yes. He said that the swelling on his eye was caused by Cotto rubbing it. He wanted to go on, he said, but said that NY conspired against him. He felt that the fight was going the same way as the first one, and that he would have come on. During the bout, he was telling Cotto his punches didn't hurt and asked Cotto if his were hurting him, and asking him to stand and fight.

---Arum was asked about Cotto's contract status. "Miguel said, 'That man is my promoter and will always be my promoter.' I never had a contract with Marvin Hagler and promoted all his fights, and Cotto reminds me of Hagler."

---Margarito had 12 stitches, Arum said.

---Brandon Rios versus Mike Alvarado is something Bob Arum would like to see, he said in the Cotto-Margarito postfight presser. Arum said Rios is done at 135.

---Arum said, when asked about May 5 as the target date for Mayweather-Pacquiao,  "Nobody has a date for anything. That's nonsense. It doesn't necessarily have to be on May 5. There's no magic in May 5. There is magic in Pacquiao-Mayweather. I'm not confident about anything but the public, we at Top Rank, Manny wants it and I believe Floyd wants it, so why wouldn't I be optimistic."

I missed it,.. com'n Roast,..RealTalk, Dave B,..Dino,.. Mort....Condor.. even that a$$ hole F4JC..... .anybody in the TSS WTF happended????

haha...brownsugar, cotto fought an intelligent fight with a stiff jab, blazing left hook and swift right hand mixing in with his lateral movement, pushing marg back during the clinches and going to the body occasionally.

marg kept trying to apply pressure and landed some shots along the way, but they were all arm punches, but this time no plaster and no adding up of damage from that plaster...

cotto landed the harder, sharper and cleaner punches at least 3-1 in connect rate, margs punches were insignificant.

margs eye was completely shut, and when stopped cotto was pissed off as he wanted to punish marg more and more, after he just stood there staring at him across the ring as if to tell him he was nothing

it was an exciting fight, cotto was fantastic

dino da vinci says:

Sir, this was required viewing! What, may I ask, were you doing that was soooo important? So important, that you gave so little to no consideration to make your way in front of a viewing screen of some nature? Hmmm, brownsugar? Care to explain yourself?

@Dino, aw man, a domestic obligation for my daughter, babysitting..sounds like a terrific fight I'll have to either buy or make a dvd.

Thanks Amayseng they don't mention that part in the round by round reports...the part about Cotto wanting to dish out more punishment..can't wait to see it.

Amayseng got down and to the point. But you know me. WELL! When it came to fighting, Miguel Cotto fought like an amateur -- pitty-pattying, tagging and zagging and sticking and moving. But when it came to being a straight-up professional pugilist, MC clinched Margarito, spinned 'em, turned 'em, sneaked kneed 'em, pushed 'em, backed 'em up and locked his a$$ up from easy lunching or counter punching.

Cotto followed his corner's info and instructions to the letter. I'd give the corner of Cotto an A+ and his latest trainer a Five-Star kick-a$$ beat down performance.

WOW! Doc Diaz showed me that he was more than a Cuban Commy amateur coach. He learned well and readafted to the American Pro-Am styles of teaching of the late, great boxing instructors, Junior Robles, Sarge Johnson and "Archie "The Old Mongoose" Moore.

BTW, MC is naturally left-handed for all you suckas who are not in da know. And yall musta' fo' GOT! It's lefty TIME, BABEEE! Whatever!

The ring doctor didn't need to stop that bout. He punk jived up a perfect night for Team Cotto by his home cooking -- Big Apple style. I wish Arthur Mercante Jr [Time] woulda been the ref. He woulda wormed da doc and every muthasucka outta dat squared jungle and let MC continue to damage the Tijuana Tornado's wind gone -- I mean wind storm. Holla!

"Did the ref save Cotto from getting" kayoed? Wow! [I ran into that spit while site surfing.] Talking about imaginary syet. Check out this piece of garbage at B*tch -- I mean Eastside boksing. That site is the whacked site of cyberspace wannabe pugilistic scribes. Holla!

Haters, busters and faders are amazing. One week Da Manny supposedly got his arse kicked. But the powers that be pull a grand-style, dog-day midnight robbery. And now these powers that be allegedly saved Cotto from getting knocked da double fudge out by not letting Tony Margarito continue.

OMFG! It was a conspiracy against Mexican pugs. [Sarcasm for the slow of mind that did not catch that and won't.]

Eastside boxing dot com is __ + ___ _____ _____ piece of ____ _____. ____ ______ ___! Holla!

dino da vinci says:

Correct answer, Sir. Good man. How many baby brownsugars do we have running around?

RG, I read a nice piece about Cotto's trainer and the scientific way he was improving Cotto's stamina by keeping detailed daily metrics on his various training sessions. Money well spent. Also read the story claiming Margo was coming on just before the stoppage. Nobody else has written a similar piece ... like you said its obviously written by Margo sympathizers..... any story gets a pass on that site

@Dino ..... up to 7 grandkids now and and not a single boxing fan in the bunch except for the oldest (17yrs). Yet they all like to punch me in the gut when they see me..lol ...wish I could have a better reason for missing the fight. Just one of those once in a blue moon situations.

mortcola says:

Disciplined, accurate, busy but economical, good power...absolutely prime Cotto. A dissection. Margarito landed but simply did not hurt him without building materials in his fists. A good way to win. And, for the record, when a fighter has one eye completely closed, rules dictate that the fight must be stopped, regardless of the fans' desire to see the fight go on. Not always followed. But the rule. Comes from one of the top refs in the biz, who drank lots of my beer that evening.

maromero says:

Im surprised by Cotto's conditioning, it looked as good as I've ever seen him. He had enough gas in the tank for 12 rounds if needed. I
Revenge is a great motivator but will Cotto keep on performing like this again or was that it? He went back to the old Cotto the one before round 6 of the first figjt with Margarito. I was glad to see Cotto show his true self in that ring. I hope he does it again

dino da vinci says:

@brownsugar. Nice! Good for you. I have some catching up to do. Children certainly help you look at the world differently. For years, when asked, I used to tell people, "oh yeah, sure, I love kids". For years! Then one evening my wife and I were having dinner out, and not too far from were we're sitting, this kid about four or five was completely out of control. He was going from table to table, pulling himself up to see what the people's reaction would be. Nobody says a word. And this goes on for a while. I said to my wife, "what's wrong with this kid's parents?". And then it dawned on me. I don't like kids. I like MY kids! And I guess well behaved kids. I came from the generation which believed children should be seen and not heard. One more. When my oldest son was five, he came up to me with a Ring Record Book that had quite a few faces on the dust jacket. He says to me, "are they kidding? No Willie Pep or Rocky Marciano? Boxing Historian Hank Kaplan loved it! Do you know how many times I've looked at that record book and never noticed that?

And Brown, I didn't see the fight either.

FighterforJC says:

Thanks for the compliment. It depends. If you were looking for Cotto to win at all costs, it was a satisfying night. He outboxed Margarito clearly. However if you were looking for an exciting fight or a resolution that had any semblance of what you would call, "revenge," this wasn't it. Cotto turned it into a glorified sparring match and while he landed good punches all night, they weren't the same quality or had the same force behind the punches he hit Margarito with in their first fight. It's also worth noting that the swelling was caused by a thumb in Margarito's eye, perhaps Marg haters would argue that it's poetic justice. Still, just like the first fight, Cotto was reduced to an octopus in the final two rounds. His legs stopped moving and Marg was getting to him with increasing regularity. Cotto didn't get hit nearly as much in this fight, but whatever punches he took from Marg were more than enough to keep Cotto running all night. The few occasions that the fighters were on the inside forehead to forehead, Marg was outfighting Cotto who clearly wanted no part of Marg. If Marg was "brickless" this time out you'd think that Cotto would have the courage to duke it out with Marg. Cotto now knows for sure whether or not Margarito truly had something in his gloves the night they first fought. During the round prior to the stoppage when the doctors almost stopped the fight, you could see in Cotto's face how desperately he wanted the fight to be stopped. He wanted the win so bad but at the same time the fight had already began to look like their first fight where Marg was getting to Cotto more and more frequently. I'm not saying Marg would've pulled off the stoppage had the fight been allowed to continue, but Cotto most certainly did not want to find out.

just to clear the slate, during the inside fighting and head to head inside game, marg threw arm punches in bunches while cotto stood his ground the threw blazing shots in return bouncing margs big head all over the place....

a true fan knows the difference between the two, cottos shots, especially those blazing inside shots with the left hook were devestating, and a thumb may have got in the eye, but the repetitive punching of margs eye for 9 rounds is what close it up, not a single thumb

Danggit, Dino! WTF! I'm glad that I didn't catch yo' upside-a-kid's-head generation. I was the type of toddler/kid/teenager who insisted on been seen and hear. Oh, YUP, BOOOY! I was gonna get my two cents in. And I did fine until my meany parents thought that I was going down the road of gangsta-ism and slap my a$$ outta da gangsta -- I mean good -- good ole USA. They told my little arse: "You are leavin' on a jet plane! I don't when you will be again."

WTF! Fifteen-years old and double dumped back in the Philippines for the first time since I were eight years old, I started to "smell my pi$$" and started sneaking off from boarding school in Manila and hopping flights to John Hays U.S. Army Base in Baguio City, to Clark USAFB in Angeles City, to Voice of America [U.S. Propaganda outfit] in Tarlac, Panpamga and to notorious U.S. Naval Station, Subic Bay and Naval Air Station Cubit Point from any damn pilot who would take my stash, so I could make my dash. But I musta fo'got! I was not a Yank, but a Pinoy. So some stankies -- I mean yankies -- sold my high-yellow a$$ OUT like mutha where the sun doesn't for a BIG PRICE.

That was my last time seeing freedom. No way was I going to see the "Land of Free, Home of the Brave," or posts/bases of the horny and scummy for a few moons. OMFG! My parents ship my arse to a hardcore boarding school in Hong Kong. My arse was kicked every day and made to learn all type of syet from learning how to respect every sucka and his pucka to learning secret martial arts junk to mastering Chinese and the Queen's standard English. WTF! Da O Games past me by. I'm a darn Pinoy who can speak in the tone of Prince Harry and his royal pops Charles. Anyway, I got outta of boring -- I mean boarding -- school and move to Japan and fought and went to college at the United State International University at Tokyo.

Danggit, Dino! Look what you made me do. Rumble ramble like a humming bird. Whatever! I just needed to pass some time. Hehehehehe! You are hard, man! You are hard! MUCH LUV ta da bad-arse kids. Holla!

dino da vinci says:

There's my guy! I enjoy reading your posts not only for the entertainment factor, but because of the great range they cover. Sure, we're all built a little different, but some guys rattle on for five minutes and you wouldn't need a sixth. You've heard pretty much everything they're ever going to tell you. Reminds me of the Saturday Night Live, thousand points of light skit. (That said, I loved Bush, Sr. Thought he was a fine president. But then again, I'm a Republican). And Rad, it might of been a good thing, seeing the world. It's harder for them to brainwash ya that way. ROAR ON, RADAM!

Cotto looked great...I want to see him fight Saul Alvarez next I think that would great fight.

@Dino ...some bitter-sweet truths, about kids you mentioned. and a funny story about the Record Book. At a time in my life when I thought I could avoid em'.... I now have more contact with the little crumb-snatching, curtin-climbing, ankle biting creatures than I'd like... but If can be a positive influence it's worth it,...

Radam reveals a little more about his mysterious past... best be carefull Radam,.. we'll have you I.D.'d yet.

Ali,.... Arum want to put him in with Chavez Jr.... Cotto can outbox him all day,.. but when the kid enters the ring at nearly 180 lbs after rehydrating,... (and training at the wild card),.. it will be like a younger Margarito all over again.

mpk says:

cotto kils chavez jr

What's up b-sug....if its younger margarcheato with plaster in his gloves then Cotto would be in some trouble....180 on fight night could be a problem but I think Cotto would only fight him at the 154 jr middleweight limit. I don't think Chavez jr can make that weight any longer so I don't see how Arum can make that fight happen.

dino da vinci says:

I'd have to agree with mpk at this point in the juncture. I don't think they'd be doing young Chavez any favors by securing that match now. Ten- twelve-fourteen months from now, I'd take my chances with the sequel. 'til then, there are enough guys for him to hone his skills against. The other way to know when the meal is cooked is when Freddy says it's ready.

FighterforJC says:

Chavez Jr is young enough to make 154 and he even said that he'll come down to 154 to fight Canelo Alvarez. I think Cotto is a good fight for Chavez Jr. If he loses, so what? Fake a$$ Mayweather has brainwashed people into thinking that staying undefeated is the end all and be all of boxing. Had he fought Mosley even 3 years ago or Cotto and Marg 3 years ago, Mayweather would easily be 39-3 or whatever. If Chavez Jr. is at all interested in a legitimate legacy and genuinely wants to prove to himself what he's made of, Cotto is the best option for him. Chavez may or may not improve significantly in the next few years, but if he truly has the stuff, then whatever he lacks in technical skill or experience today, he could make up for with raw talent and desire, that is if he's truly got the stuff of greatness. Chavez Jr. and Cotto will both have their advantages and disadvantages with each other and it will be a fair matchup. Cotto is formiddable enough for Chavez Jr. to get real credit should Chavez win, and Chavez is green enough to recover from a loss to Cotto.

dino da vinci says:

@4JC.

No. You have Floyd brainwashing people. You have Floyd 39-3. You've got Cotto formidable enough to give Chavez real credit. Not to mention you believe it's a fair match-up at this time. Couple of things. I don't follow the amateurs that closely, but I believe this is the Chavez son with little or no experience. He's still learning. Julio was a fighter. This is a son following in his daddy's footsteps, like so many others do. But the fact that he came so late to the show should tell you something. He's still developing and hasn't flattened yet (it's a process). Some fighters get destroyed in an outing and after the bruises heal they're fine. Others...damaged freight. (Don't really have time to go into an hour long dissertation on a fighter's psyche). So Fighter for JC, they fight today, by your way of thinking, this is an even fight?

FighterforJC says:

@4JC.

I'm saying it's a fair fight, meaning that Chavez Jr. isn't being thrown to the wolves. He has enough physical tools and fighting instincts to make it a fight. He might go down in flames but he'll go down swinging. Protected as Chavez Jr. is, I think he's underrated in a lot of ways. When Mayweather beat Hernandez for his first world title, Mayweather was definitely green. The results wouldn't have been that much different had Hernandez fought a more seasoned Mayweather. Mayweather had it at a young age and even his pro debut version would've beaten the guys he beat later in his career. Chavez either has it or he doesn't, and while the same goes for every fighter, special care goes into looking at Chavez Jr's career because of the DNA. We really want to know if he has it. If he does, he'll do fine against Cotto. If he doesn't, then at least we can move on.

It's all good Ali,...

yep without a doubt Cotto has the skill to outbox Chavez all day every day. And there's no way Chavez is gonna make 154lbs and be healthy on the day of the fight(They would have matched him with Alvarez already). Chavez looks skeletal at 160 during the weigh-in,. But Bob,.. is great at creating Big-Money events whether you like him or not (I don't) and if he has a plan,.. he'll find a way to make it work. If it involves Cotto fighting Jr at a higher weight,... all bets are off.

dino da vinci says:

JC, Floyd had an extensive amateur career before turning pro.

"We really want to know if he has it. If he does, he'll do fine against Cotto. If he doesn't, then at least we can move on."
Reminds me of a scene from the movie "Ice Age". Where Manny tells Sid if the two rhinos don't eat him today, something will just eat him tomorrow. Scheduling change in your programs. Playing the roll of Sid will be JCC, Jr.

Dose of reality says:

I agree with you ali, they're both really good fighters, I still prefer Cotto

Latest Articles

myhowthingshavechanged
ndambeatsstevensinibfmiddleweighteliminator
samsolimannearingendofnyccamp
teamfighttowalkhostingsecondannualgala
wbcibfwbahavesecondsummit
heatherqtheheatqhardyheadlinesupcomingbroadwayboxingcardinsupportofbreastcancerawarenessmonth
usaolympianjoseramirezwillbehonoredatfresnostatevssandiegostategamethisfriday