Canelo Alvarez To Fight Kermit Cintron On Nov. 26

BY The Sweet Science ON October 26, 2011

739MEXICO CITY, October 26 - Just one day after formally announcing Adrien Broner's first world title fight against Vicente Rodriguez on November 26 from the U.S. Bank Arena in Cincinnati, Ohio, Golden Boy Promotions and Canelo Promotions are pleased to add another treat for fight fans to help celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday weekend by presenting a second world championship fight on the same night. That treat will come in the form of Guadalajara's undefeated WBC Super Welterweight World Champion Canelo Alvarez defending his title against former World Champion Kermit "The Killer" Cintron from the Bancomer Center in Mexico City, Mexico, which will also be televised live on the November 26 HBO Boxing After Dark telecast.

"Kermit Cintron is a worthy challenger for my title and I'm looking forward to fighting him at home in Mexico," said Alvarez. "Everyone knows what happens when Mexicans and Puerto Ricans meet in the ring, and I expect that we're going to give the world a show to remember, but I guarantee that I will leave with my belt on November 26."

"It's been a while since I've worn a world title belt around my waist and I can't wait to do it again in November," said Cintron. "Alvarez is a good, young fighter, but I have the experience and the power to beat him. I know this fight is in his backyard, but I won't need judges for this one."

"We know it is a huge undertaking, but thanks to HBO, we're able to deliver two world championship fights on the same night from Mexico and the United States on November 26," said Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions. "In pitting a young champion looking to continue his reign against a veteran who is eager to win another world title, Alvarez vs. Cintron looks to be an all out action fight to remember. In Broner vs. Rodriguez, we will see two young fighters battle it out as each tries to win his first world title. On November 26, fight fans in Mexico, the United States and those watching around the world, will not be disappointed."

"We are delighted to offer our subscribers a holiday treat with an international flair, said Key Davis senior vice president of programming, HBO Sports.  "With two great fights from Cincinnati and Mexico, this show should provide sports fans with exciting boxing action on Thanksgiving weekend."

Alvarez vs. Cintron is a 12-round bout for Alvarez's WBC Super Welterweight World Championship which will take place Saturday, November 26 at the Bancomer Center in Mexico City, Mexico and is presented by Golden Boy Promotions and Canelo Promotions. "Home for the Holidays: Broner vs. Rodriguez" is a 12-round bout for the vacant WBO Junior Lightweight World Title which will take place the same night at the U.S. Bank Arena in Cincinnati, Ohio and is presented by Golden Boy Promotions and R&R Promotions in association with Canelo Promotions. The HBO Boxing After Dark telecast will air at 10:30 p.m. ET/PT in the United States, with Televisa airing the fights in Mexico.

21-year old Mexican sensation Canelo Alvarez (38-0-1, 28 KO's) is already a world champion and looking to follow in the footsteps of the other greats from his boxing-rich nation. After making his mark on the world scene in 2010 with wins over Jose Cotto, Carlos "Tata" Baldomir and Lovemore "Black Panther" N'Dou and, Alvarez earned the WBC 154-pound World Title with a near shutout of tough contender Matthew "Magic" Hatton in March of 2011. He successfully defended his title by knockout with victories over Ryan Rhodes in June in his native Guadalajara and against Alfonso Gomez in September in Los Angeles. The charismatic young star will look to end his 2011 campaign with a victory over former World Champion Cintron.

Puerto Rico's Kermit Cintron (33-4-1, 28 KO's) has long been one of boxing's most feared knockout artists. The owner of the kind of power that thrills fans and leaves opponents timid, the former IBF and WBO Welterweight World Champion Cintron has traded punches with the best in the game, including Sergio "Maravilla" Martinez, Antonio Margarito, Paul "The Punisher" Williams and Alfredo "Perro" Angulo. Coming off of a win over Antwone Smith in August, the 31-year-old is ready to prove he can win another world title and on November 26, he gets his chance.

A full undercard will be announced shortly. For more information, visit www.goldenboypromotions.com, www.usbankarena.com, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/GoldenBoyBoxing, www.twitter.com/caneloOficial, www.twitter.com/CANELOTEAM or visit us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/GoldenBoyBoxing. Follow HBO Boxing newsat www.hbo.com/boxing,on Twitter @hboboxing and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/hboboxing.

This is a good step up fight for the still green Canelo. Cintron is past his prime but not that far past it. If Canelo can win convincingly we will all be impressed. If he struggles like he did in the early rounds vs Gomez, eyebrows will be raised. Cintron has power and he has to know his time is running out. Good young fighter on the rise vs fading vet matchup. I read on ESPN that Berto will take on Randall Bailey in another crossroads type fight. This is high risk for Berto. Suspect chin vs huge punching ageing veteran. I think Bailey will knock Berto out if he can catch him before the fifth round. After that, Bailey will fade and Berto will stop him in 9 or 10. Must see TV for us diehard fans.

Canelo didn't look all that good against Gomez but expect him to bounce back against Cintron...

Wow! Canelo is the BIGGEST __ ___ ____ ____ + ______ ___ _____ _____ + _____ and _____. Oh YUP! He's a greeny, but also a BIG media, creation ______! If the bout was not fixed, Clintron would clean his fudgin' red-headed clock. Red is ahead. Don't ever say when it comes to Canelostein that "RED is DEAD!"

"HERE'S LUCY -- I mean -- Canelo! He fights like a b*tch having cramps. Hehehehe! Enough syet -- I mean spit -- for now. Holla!

FighterforJC says:

HUGE step up for Canelo, but that's due to the caliber of his previous opponents. This could be a major miscalculation on Goldenboy's part, unless this is a "fixed" fight as Radam is claiming.

Cintron is bigger than Canelo and could crack. Not to mention he's been in against the best jr.middles in Marg and Martinez. If Canelo tries that shoulder roll nonsense he experimented with against Gomez, he's going to sleep. I still can't shake off the memory of little Cotto wobbling Canelo. If he gets past Cintron in a convincing way, he deserves full credit.

Hey F4JC.......I'm about 50 hours into Dark Souls level 90 and I have the ascended Drake Sword and Smough Armor. The game is unbelievably awesome and full of surprises(no way Skrym can be this good). not much story but huge on concept. .. By contrast there will be no surpises in this fight. Cintron is still servicable as seen by his victory over Antoine Smith, but if he lets Canello back him into a corner he's gonna get hurt. If Cintron can ressurect some of the power he had in his Glory days the fight could get interesting. Good test and good matchmaking from Canelo's management. 3 yards and a cloud of dust (Woody Hayes).

FighterforJC says:

@Brownsugar: I'm for Skyrim all the way, can't wait for 11/11/11... with that said, do your best to convince me to buy Dark Souls... I know it's hard, but everything the critics praise the game for are virtually the very same reasons any other game would be panned for. Everything I hear leads me to believe that Dark Souls is not a game of skill but a game of memorization. Supposedly dying is just "learning" but that just translates into memorizing attack patterns, traps, etc. To me a great game is one where you could THEORETICALLY do everything right the first time by having to rely on your wits, common sense and skills you learn along the way. It doesn't seem that this is possible with Skyrim because it just throws random stuff at you that you'd have no way of knowing how to deal with the first time through, requiring non-stop trial and error and repeated deaths. I'm a sucker for sword and sorcery and I really am trying to want to like this game but it doesn't make sense to me what fans are raving about. I think just because it's hard they get a sense of being "elite." Seriously, who praises a game for not having the ability to pause? No offense, it sounds like people who enjoy Dark Souls have a serious case of "The Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome."

Sup wif 11/11/11? Da Filipino Flash is having his church wedding on that day. I hope that TSS has one of its fine pugilistic scribes there to cover it. It's gonna be da BOMB!

A lot of ___ ____ ___ and ____ are all up in arms about the world ending on 12/12/12. Holla!

Latest Articles

jessievargasmakesfirstworldtitledefense
cangolovkinbeasuperstar
issergeykovalevthenextggg
riospromisesqtheoldbambamqagainstchaves
sugarrayleonardwillbeataug9nevadaboxinghallgala
kovalevwillhavemorethancaparelloonhismindaugust2nd
quotesfromfinalkovalevcaparellopresser
sadamaliandanthonypetersontofightatbarclaysaug9
adrienbroneremmanueltayloronforsept6incincy
ideasforprovodnikovsnextrioschaveswinnerherreraandmaybebradley

Who's the best Mexican boxer today?