Rashad Is Better Than Bader; Evans Beat Tito Ortiz (TKO2) at UFC 133

BY Michael Woods ON August 06, 2011

He shocked the MMA world to get the opportunity, but Tito Ortiz now full well knows Rashad Evans is not Ryan Bader.

Evans (16-1-1) blasted Ortiz with a knee while Tito was on his knees in the headliner at UFC 133 in Philadelphia at the Wells Fargo center on Saturday night.

The 36 year old Ortiz gave hope that he might pull of a megastunner on the ex light heavyweight champion, but Evans pulled out of a guillotine in the second. He went on the offensive, and while Ortiz kneeled to avoid taking a boot of knee to the head, the 31-year-old Evans smartly aimed for the solar plexus with his right knee. That blow crumpled Ortiz, who ate a few shots before the ref Dan Miragliotta halted the contest at 4:48 of the second.

The Niagara Falls, NY-native Evans, who didn't look rusty after 14 months off due to injuries,  next gets the Jon Jones-Rampage Jackson winner. The Californian Ortiz is now 16-9-1, and a Shamrockian 1-5-1 in his last seven. He handled Bader a month ago, but Bader is Bader. Evans is an 'A' fighter.

This was a rematch from a 2007 scrap, which was deemed a draw.

Condor says:

I really don't know squat about MMA, but if Evans meets Jon 'Bones' Jones it'll be a very short night. That cat JBJ has got some serious game.

I dont know much either but it seems like the UFC recycles the same guys over and over. Nine losses for Ortiz? 1-5-1? The party is over,

I don't know and don't watch. $%$^*I*(! Enough said! Holla!

FighterforJC says:

I dont know much either but it seems like the UFC recycles the same guys over and over. Nine losses for Ortiz? 1-5-1? The party is over. Get some new guys in there.

Like Holyfield vs Nielsen or possibly Holyfield vs Botha 2. C'mon, UFC, get some new guys in there!

Not quite sure what you are trying to say F4JC, any fight involving the Holyman is shown on some odd PPV. I havent seen Evander fight since Valuev. The UFC main event was a couple of retreads. Chuck Liddell must have had other plans. If that is the best Dana White can do he may be in trouble. Shmucks wont keep buying this crap forever.

FighterforJC says:

Keep dreaming. UFC is far from being "in trouble." Get over the insecurity. Just because MMA guys will mop the floor with the top boxers in a real streetfight, it doesn't mean both sports cannot coexist.

Condor says:

"Just because MMA guys will mop the floor with the top boxers in a real streetfight, it doesn't mean both sports cannot coexist."

The jury is still out on that. James Toney was well BELOW journeyman status at the time he got decimated by Couture (and below a journeyman in THIS era, which speaks volumes). James Toney required subtitles in all interviews leading up to that fight. The guy has -and has had for years- as acute a case of dementia pugilistica that can exist in an "active" fighter. Ray Mercer was humiliated by Kimbo Slice, but he later KO'd a former UFC guy in 10 seconds. My point is a TOP boxer has never fought a TOP MMA guy (if it has happened, I missed it).

I'm not saying it's not true, just that it hasn't happened yet, so it remains complete speculation.

Condor says:

"I'm just saying the main event was lame. Ortiz is done. I have no insecurity. I watch both sports. Excellent fight between Henderson and Fedor two weeks back. I know you didnt see it, you dont have cable. Go play Donkey Kong."

Damn Roast, that was classic!

I also watch both, but I openly admit that I'm a fringe MMA watcher. I usually will watch UFC's big events (although I've never paid for one and never will). I've got a watering hole that televises these, and I catch them there when I'm so inclined. I will tune in to see Jon Jones - Jackson, as 'Bones' impresses the hell out of me. I'll watch the heavyweight title fights and Anderson Silva, those shows. I do get a kick out of Dana White though. On the last card, a guy evidently wore a SPEEDO and White was just thoroughly appalled. It was a humorous interview. He awarded his opponent a nightly bonus just for getting the fight over with (or something to that effect).

I also caught that Fedor fight on Showtime. Personally, I thought that was an early stoppage, but Fedor looked very unimpressive and ordinary. He's just shot; gets pummelled every time out by whoever is standing across from him.

FighterforJC says:

Thank goodness Erik Morales isn't done.

I agree with you that Morales is also done. I wouldnt buy a PPV with him as the headliner either. The real question is, who would win a real streetfight, Ortiz or Morales??

Latest Articles