Promoter Bob Arum today said that he has almost finalized plans for a rematch between Miguel Cotto and arch-nemesis Antonio Margarito. Arum said the bout will take place on Dec. 3, at either the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, or at Madison Square Garden in New York.
Margarito battered Cotto when they fought in July 2008. Cotto had success early on, but Margarito was like The Terminator. He walked Cotto down, and punished him, until Cotto's corner threw in the towel at 2:05 of round 11. Since then, Margarito was outed as a cheater, as he tried to used hardened hand pads before his January 2009 fight with Shane Mosley. Mosley stopped Margarito, who was then suspended for his attempted trickery. He beat a journeyman after a hiatus, before losing to Manny Pacquiao (UD12) in November 2010. He suffered a broken bone in his eye from Pacquiao's attack, had surgery, and is now on track to fight in December. Cotto, meanwhile, last gloved up in March. He handled Ricardo Mayorga, nine months after beating Yuri Foreman to win the WBA junior middleweight crown at Yankee Stadium. He too got the short end in a fight against Pacquiao, in November 2009. Cotto beat Michael Jennings in a tuneup after the Margarito disappointment, and Joshua Clottey, before testing himself against the Congressman.
TSS Universe, most everyone is thinking that Margarito, aged 33, has lost a foot off his fastball. How do you see the 30-year-old Cotto doing in the rematch? Revenge is a dish best served cold, but we're pretty sure his pride will have him heated up come December. Weigh in with your take...
Of the World Heavyweight Champions Who is The Best?