Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Beats Germany’s Sebastian Zbik For World Title...AVILA RINGSIDE

BY David A. Avila ON June 04, 2011

Chavez_Zbik_110604_005aChris Farina photo

LOS ANGELES-Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. got it going late, couldn’t be stopped by Germany’s Sebastian Zbik and took the WBC middleweight title by majority decision on Saturday.

Chavez part two begins.

A raucous crowd at Staples Center saw Chavez (43-0-1, 30 KOs) follow his father’s footsteps and beat Germany’s Zbik (30-1, 10 KOs) who held the title. It began as a slow trot but ended in an all out gallop as Chavez used a body attack to come from behind after a bad beginning.

The father, Julio Cesar Chavez, smiled broadly after the title belt was given to his son. But those first four rounds had the former Mexican looking like anything but happy.

Zbik launched out of his corner in the first round snapping jabs in Chavez’s head and rights to the head. It didn’t take him long to get confidence, though Chavez landed some body shots.

Rounds two and three showed that Chavez was going to continue his attack to the body. A left hook to the head snapped Zbik’s head, but the German landed more effective punches again and again.

Chavez poured on the punches in round five to win his first round of the fight. Zbik seemed to be slightly dazed by a right hand near the end of the frame.

After a blatant left elbow by the German boxer, Chavez retaliated with some heavy handed blows including a right behind the ear that slightly stunned Zbik. Chavez finished the round with a combination to perhaps win another round in the sixth.

Things definitely looked good for Chavez in round seven as he blistered the slowing German fighter with some combinations from long range including another right cross that had Zbik shaking his head at the end of the round.

“The title is won on the inside below. I knew he wouldn’t be able to continue in the later rounds,” said Chavez after about his plan to attack the body continuously.

Chavez and Zbik were no longer fighting toe to toe and it slipped into another type of fight. Chavez  had better luck from the outside with his long arms and new head movement.

Germany’s Zbik began to tire noticeably from round seven on as Chavez pummeled him to the body, with some going below the belt. Zbik complained but was met with more body shots while he complained.

Going into the final two rounds both dug deep for extra juice and it appeared all of the hard work by Chavez at trainer Freddie Roach’s gym paid off.

“I knew it was crucial to win the (12th) round,” Chavez said, adding that Roach told him to increase his attack.

One judge Steve Morrow scored it 114-114, John Keane 116-112 and Raul Caiz Jr. 115-113 both for Chavez.

“He was a good fighter but I fought with everything to win it for Mexico,” said Chavez, the former Ramona High school student in Riverside.

Zbik was gracious in defeat.

“What can I say. I knew the rounds were close and the judges gave them to Chavez,” Zbik said. “He’s a strong fighter.”

Other bouts

Moreno Valley’s Mikey Garcia (26-0, 22 KOs) was another who began slowly but turned on the steam to knock out Mexico’s Rafael Guzman (28-3, 20 KOs) in round four.

The usual careful first round for Garcia ended with a crackling left hook that shook Guzman at the bell. In round two another left hook busted Guzman’s guard and sent him across the ring.

Garcia’s sharp-shooting made things progressively worse for the Mexican featherweight. A right hand through the gloves snapped Guzman’s head violently but he remained on his feet until the bell in round three. It would get worse.

After 1:55 in round four, an overhand right by Garcia dropped Guzman like a bag of rocks for a clean knockdown of the much taller Mexican fighter. He tried to get up but fell down again and it was over. Moreno Valley’s Garcia had struck again.

“He came to fight and that was better for me,” said Garcia about Guzman who was a late substitute for Miguel Beltran, who canceled due to an injury. “I’m not flashy or spectacular but I’m ready for any featherweight.”

Vanes Martirosyan (30-0, 19 KOs) kept his place in line for a title shot. Junior middleweight gatekeeper Saul Roman (34-9, 29 KOs) was prepared to shut the gate on contender Martirosyan but the Glendale boxer busted through with a gutsy performance. After a left hook knocked down Martirosyan in the first round, the former US Olympian rallied back with a more aggressive approach to keep his place in line for a world title bid. A six punch barrage in round seven sent Roman to the mat and then another pummeling at 2:58 of the same round force the referee to halt the fight.

“I threw a real straight right hand and that was what finished him,” said Martirosyan. “He hits real hard.”

Dakota Stone (10-8-4) beat Christy Martin (49-6-3, 32 KOs) by technical knockout when that fighter suffered a fractured right hand and could not continue in the sixth and final round. Martin was winning according to the judges’ cards.

Martin floored Stone with a perfect overhand right but also hurt her hand in the process. She continued to belt Stone around the ring but it became obvious that she had injured herself. By round six, both the ringside doctor and referee David Mendoza stopped the fight though Martin protested vehemently.

Garden Grove’s Jessie Roman (6-0, 4 KOs)  floored James Grant (2-3-1) twice, the last one forcing referee Raul Caiz to end the fight following a vicious left hook that crumpled Grant in a heap at 1:00 of round two of a lightweight bout.

East L.A.’s left-hand crazy Oscar Andrade (6-0, 3 KOs) floored Japan’s Kai Zama (5-4, 3 KOs) three times in winning by knockout in the first round. Four successive uppercuts dropped Zama for the first knockdown. A straight left floored him again. After beating the count slowly, Zama was knocked out for good with a single left cross that seemed to stretch across the ring at 2:15 of the first round.

Bellflower’s Alex Luna (6-0, 5 KOs) battered Mexicali’s Cesar Garcia (3-7-1) four rounds but couldn’t continue the knockout winning streak. Garcia was too tough for Luna to dispose of without a decision. All three judges scored it 40-36 for Luna.

Riverside’s Saul Rodriguez did not fight. Top Rank could not find an opponent in time for his first pro bout to occur.

Wow a fighter lands a hundred more punches and still loses..Only in America ( Or Germany and Canada). Chavez Senior even managed a smile on his austere mug after the decision was called. But if truth be told, by the end of the fight Chavez jr was looking like a winner or at least the guy who was trying to win. The kid didn't show much skill but his heart and desire was inspirational. Zbik can blame himself for falling inside instead of schooling junior at the proper distance. Zbik should have also had points deducted for flagrant and excessive head holding...Give Roach and Arum credit for getting Chavez in shape and deftly guiding him to a title. No matter what happens next no one can take that achievment away. But what now?...when the announcer asked him about Martinez (who was sitting in the audience grinning from ear to ear) Chavez, noticably disturbed quickly switched the topic to money. But he need not be concerned, even though Chavez reversed his earlier stance by saying he would fight Martinez if he won, Arum has already Vetoed Chavez's commitment by saying the #2 pound for pound fighter was not a worthy PPV prospect. ...... offering up the names of "well known middleweights" Cotto and Magarito instead as possible contenders . I've got a suggestion, how bout Golovkin, N'Jikam, Pirog, Guerrero, Korobov, Khurtzide, ( or Pavlik since the nearly weigh the same) instead?

What a setup! First the WBC takes the belt away from Sergio. Then they give it to the smallest, lightest punching middleweight in the world. Then they make the guy defend that belt against Silver Spoon Chavez in L.A. Silver Spoon looked like he was two weight classes above that little Zbik. Jr. looked very green to me. He better keep on fighting mismatches. Sergio would beat the crap out of Julio's son. The WBC won't let that happen. If they do fight, Sergio would be forced to fight with one hand tied behind his back.

mortcola says:

Chavez is a real fighter. Never mention his father - he's going to make it or fail on his own merits, and in this fight, he proved that he loves to bang and battle, he proved that he has real defensive weaknesses and a decent chin (we'll see when he fights a bigger puncher), and that he has stamina. He also goes to the body beautifully.

@the Roast, that was coldhearted, my MAN! A dangerous low, low blow! And what is wrong with a silver spoon sucka? Let me holla some names of SS suckas -- of course not I. Gene Tunney, who put the beatdown on the great Jack Demsey was one. The Greatest of All Times Muhammad Ali was one. Milton McCrory was one. The kid outta Maine, Joey Comache was one. OMG! Even "Boom Boom" Mancini was touching really close. Even outta of your state of Illinois, there were a couple. I have to dig for some names. But Kenny Gould was close to being one.

You've fudged up my "Silver Spoon" noggin with your sneak attack of Julio "Junior Time, 'Son of a Legend'" Cesar Chavez. So give me a day or two to recover from that super-low blow. And you will be surprised how many Silver Spoon brats won those world title belts. The thing about boxing is that no mythical-steretype jive fits. It is a gentleman's -- and now also a gentlewoman's -- game. Da Silver Spoon suckas just be hidin' in plain sight. Oh, YES! What about those K-Bros/Docs. They are Old Soviet Union Silver Spoon like a couple of muthachumps. Don't be hatin,' Man! Holla!

Anyway, Mexican SuperBillionaire Carlos Slim, the richest dude on dat planet is talkin' about paying Da Manny 65mil to fight in Mexico next year against red-headed, kiddy Canelo Alvarez. WTF! Rich-arse CS is bored as a muthasucka. Danggit! He's asking Da Manny to rob him in plain sight. Canelo Alvarez must be one of the most hyped kiddy Mexican fighters of all times. Dude is a good C+ fighter at best, as of now. Hopefully, he will pick it up and get better. Nonetheless if a billionaire wants to waste bread let it be. I'm surprised that Money May hasn't bit yet. There were rumors about him a few months ago taking the money, quittin' -- I mean whuppin' -- Canelo's arse and running. Holla!

Man your right on point Martinez would destory him....He has no defense at all...The always has his boxers in tip top shape but teaching them defense is somethen he's needs to work on cuz none of his fighters have any.

Thanks ali, I call it like I see it. Congrats to you for picking Froch over Johnson. His chin was a huge factor. Back to SS Chavez. How are we supposed to not think about Jr's Dad when they start the show with home movies of Jr. and his dad driving around in a Bentley? Then Sr. is walking to the ring with Jr. wearing the headbands just like JCC used to do it in the glory years? Then the ring announcer introduces the Hall Of Fame Daddy before the fight starts? Lets face it, if this kid's name is John Smith or Billy Whatever he gets no air time. Silver Spoon. Why bother with the fight? Strip Sergio and hand the belt to Jr. They better match Jr VERY carefully while they make as much money as they can off that name. Somewhere out there there is a modern day Iran Barkley or Julian Jackson waiting to take Jr's head off. Does Frankie Randall have a son?

@Radam, I know you are a great boxing historian but this is different than those you mentioned. Julio Ceasar Chavez was one of the greatest fighters of all time. Name another ATG who's son went on to win a world title. Mancini's dad never won. Joey Gamache, Milt McCrory, the K-bros, none of their Pops were Champions. Thomas Hearns son has been used to sell tickets because of his name but he could not win the title. Dont tell me about Ali and Laila. Name me a father who was World Champion and a son who was a World Champion.

DaveB says:

Chavez is really trying to get better. I was impressed with that. You know Freddie Roach is going to start cherry picking. Over than that we will have to wait and see what happens. I wish him the best.

riverside says:

Easy my friends on junior, he is trying and has improved since the Vanda fights. Power to Roach, for turning him into a mere contender at most! junior is 25 years old, but has not peaked! Interesting and challenging for Roach to see how far he can go, With the son of the legend. Roach and Arum cherry picking his opponnets,( that is a sure bet)

ultimoshogun says:

I'm with browsugar and mortcola, you gotta admire the kid's heart/desire and the nice work to the body he dished out, but he's still a work in progress...no way he's ready for Martinez, but they can only keep cherry picking his opponents for so long...He ate some pretty wicked shots from Zbik, will that chin of his hold up against a harder puncher? Hopefully we'll find out sooner rather than later.

Wow! The Roast, you are spot on 99 percent of the time. But your thinking cap is not on that bush in this case. I guess you want your bush to be able to get some fresh air in this case. I won't holla at the GOAT and his daughter Laila, but I will say that Leon "Neon" Spinks and his son, Cory "The Spinks Jinx," "2nd Generation" Spinks. Maybe you don't consider neither Spinks great. That is okay, but they are the FIRST father and son CHAMPEONS [sic] in the history of the game. Now name me the first first-cousins champions of the game. Stranger than fiction is this hurt bitnezz. Holla!

WOW! Ali is so full of hullabaloo! What da double fudge! Some crazy ebony-towered -- I mean ivory towered -- jabberwocky crap from da dude, who loves to demarcate every fighter, except for the depauperated in-da-heart Money May. OMFG! A lot of bushwhackin' and bullspit attackin, apparently because there is differently some boksin' knowledge lackin.' WTF! It must be REALLY BIG to say how Martinez would destroy a green fighter. He suppose to, or he has the problem. Holla!

Oh, yes, the Roast, named me the first brother and sister who became world champions. They were trained by their parents. Now I've given you a lot of jive. But I'll still be shock if you know the answer. Ali won't know. I think that Uncle Roger May loves to hate him. Everytime I see da Unc, he is hollering about ali on "da fu*kin' sweet science sh*t. Yall know how da Fam May uncle get off his cussin.' He always tell me dat he bet that I'm dat fu*kin' Filipino [who's] always talkin' syet. Hehehehe! How right he is. But can he finger me publicly? NYET! Besides, he says we Pinoys are all some PacMan-lookin' muthafu*kas who he cannot tell apart. I guess Dallas thought the same thing about the Maimi Heat's coach last night. Hehehehe! Yall musta' fo'got! It [sic] Pinoy TIME! Holla!

One more footnote, the Roast. I musta' fo' got! Cory Spinks didn't come up with a "Silver Spoon" in his mouth. His pops Leon was a drug addict and neglected his three sons. One -- my pal and contemporary -- Leon Jr was killed in a drive-by shooting. He was sitting in the car on the passenger's side and some hoodlum punks, who have never been charged for murdering him, pull along side the car and shot my pal. LJ was thought of as a hotshot light-heavyweight sureshot to become champion. Man, he had it all. But that is how life is, a bytch, than you die or worthless punks cut your life short. And nobody really how good you could have been. Holla!

Look you dum S.O.B I said that cuz they brought his name up after the fight and he said he is willing to fight him which I think is a bad idea. I said he doesn't have any defense which is the truth and I don't see it getting any better with Roach as his trainer. Yeah he can maybe rack up some more wins against B level fighters but if his D doesn't get alot better he will never reach Martinez level.

Martinez's level? Dude is amateurish and didn't start in da game until he was 20 or 21 years old. Dude is an athlete, not a terrific boxer. With his being 35 or 36 years old, his days of getting away with athleticism are numbered. He oughta fight somebody his size instead of calling out smaller fighters, though they will still whup his optical-illusion-to-the-know-nothings arse. Money May, Miguel Cotto and Pera Pac would school his arse. And Da Manny would stop him EARLY. MC would do it LATE. Money May would get a runaway decision. Martinez should call out SOG Ward, Bute, B-Hop or even Pascal. Da sneaky bytch should halt his deceptions to know nothings by calling out small fighters and a willingness to fight green ones, like the last chump he fought. By the way, what is dum? Maybe you meant dumb. And YUP! I'm definitely a S.O.B -- Star/Student Of Boksing. Thanks for da kudo. Holla!

@Radam, I did forget about the Spinks father and son team. I also forget the cousins who were champs. I do remember the bro and sis are the Byrds. I learned that one from you, along with Max Baer's son went on to play Jethro out by the cement pond. I'm just sayin that this ia a unique situation. JCC Sr. Is an all time great. The kid is riding that name like a surfer on a wave. I believe silver spoon is heading for a wipeout, where the sharks will be waiting. As always, we shall see.

Wow! I know that you were a darn posting pugilistic bible. The cousins are technically Byrds too. That would be Chris "Rapid Fire" Byrd and Lamon [Byrd] Brewster. Chris's pops and Lamon's moms are siblings. And the Roast, you are too quick on da draw about "Junior Time" Chavez. The kid is gonna fool ya. He is a progress in work with da miracle-working "No Choke or Joke, Top-notch Coach" Freddie Roach. Holla!

B REAL says:

It was an alright fight to watch..but Chavez is still sloppy and needs some work. I dont see him holdin that title long so itll be interesting to see who they pick for him. Hopefully no rematch will happen. And we can see how serious Chavez is to face the best. Chavez has good heart and thatll take him far if he stays with Roach .