UPDATED THURSDAY...Andre Berto Seems To Imply Victor Ortiz Used PED...WOODS

BY Michael Woods ON June 01, 2011

BertoOrtiz_Hogan42Let us be candid. In this day and age, there is frequently chatter after such an occasion, when an athlete looks more muscled, or shows herculean stamina, heretofore unseen. There was message board chatter after Berto-Ortiz, and now Berto has magnified it. (Hogan)

UPDATE: A few hours after he implied something wasn't quite right with Victor Ortiz when they fought, maybe just maybe after he got a call from a friendly lawyer, as opposed to an UNFRIENDLY lawyer, Andre Berto backtracked, big-time. On Twitter, he wrote, "Wow why does everyones mind go straight to PEDs. Calm down everyone I was just talkin about Ortiz eating his spinach like popeye lol." Er, uh, sure bro... "He wanted to be strong on fight night," Berto wrote.  "I know the lil dude at Whole Foods who hooks him up. Good luck in your Iron Man

Another day, another juicy Twitter war taking place in the Twitterspehere. Today, it's Andre Berto and Victor Ortiz mixing it up, in a manner just as hardcore as the display they put on when they tangled on April 16 in Connecticut.

You'll recall there were knockdowns aplenty, and while both men hit the deck, it was Ortiz, a clear underdog, who got the nod, via UD12 (scores were 114-111, 114-112, 115-110). In his welterweight debut, he took Berto's WBC welterweight crown on that night.

Berto responded to a Tweet from one "Twash-Bag," who wrote, @AndreBerto "did they drug test ortiz? I've never seen him that strong before... Looked like vargas vs de la hoya."

Berto responded, "Yo this is the main question I get from fans and boxing people. Did they drug test Ortiz? Let me clear the air now!! Your right there is a reason why Ortiz had so much energy, a reason he could take my heavy shots and keep ticking. N there is a reason why he came into the ring 165 pounds. I know people close to him and his camp and I know exactly we he was taking. it wasn't Flintstone vitamins!! But it is what it is I should of beat him anyways but it wasn't me that night. Ortiz wasn't him either lol. Lesson learned time to forget about the past and look forward to the future.

When confronted that he was indulging in a sour grapes session, Berto wrote: "Never bitter never sour Ortiz fought a good fight and got the W. I take my L like a man n come back better Iam lookin forward 2 the rematch."

For his part, so far, Ortiz has maintained his composure. He replied, "Berto needs to stop I'll have to hurt him again. Me I guess im not too bad for not havin a heart or courage ;)"

Brand new world we live and write in, my friends...

Wow! These chumps just believe that they can continue to keep attacking Aispanic Pinoys and Hispanic Mexican-Americans with all type of mythical bullspit about takes magical PEDs or loading your gloves with magical Plastic of Paris jive. WTF! Somebodee just oughta man up and accept that he got an arse thrashed. Holla!

"B" says:

I don't know if Ortiz was on anything or not that night. But I thought something might be up somewhere about the third round of the fight. I was sitting there watching the fight about three oclock in the morning on mute like I usually do(you guys can do it) and I said to myself " Who is this guy" . I am not saying a guy can not completely transform him self from one fight to the another but it's not the usual case. And people do not give me all that nonsense about the fact that he was moving up and had all this new found strength because 140 was weakening him. The guy was about 165 pound the night of the fight. Most of the time when guys gain that much weight from the weigh in to the fight it means they slacked on there cardio training and are really not in great shape. This guy was not only in shape but he had endless energy. It may sound like Berto is a sore looser but he is only repeating what trainers, fighters, fan, and a whole lot of the boxing community have already said. I can not wait until the rematch. I don't think it will go 12...................

Da Vicious One gave Berto a straight, up-in-ya-grill arse thrashing. Da sucka Berto oughta just move on and learn to BOX correctly. Ortiz got on his thump of that chump. Berto so-called martial art punches need to go. Da game is boksin' with glove on for a reason. A skill boxer whup da heck out of a _______ on his worst day. There are differences forms of kick arse for a reason. One never intersect one with the other for a moola reason. It is all about the prize, not the pride. Berto gets his arse dusted by Ortiz 99 out of 100 times. I told people forever that Berto was a green chump, who just cannot boksin' get down. Holla!

this is absolutely an irresponsible post in every way.

ortiz came into the fight with a different mentality..from the opening bell he attacked berto and let him know he was there to take that belt. let him know he was not going to be bullied and that he was there to set the tone of the fight.

even when derailed and knocked down ortiz got up with vigor and will and kept on pressing on.

its not like ortiz threw 120 punches per round and was knocking berto down with every punch

if you want to throw out the PED card you better come with more than 165 lbs..

because at my age even today 32, i can gain and lose 12 lbs in 6-8 weeks with different training depending on how or where i want to be.

ortiz is a professional athlete with better training and nutrition and guidance than i have

what he did physically is not uncommon for a guy his age.

Real Talk says:

Berto needs to stop making excuses and work n his BOXING SKILLS!!! I had a convo with a buddy of mine who's about to turn pro and likes Berto. He said something about Berto has a defense. I said defense?!!? What defense? Ortiz can punch and moved up strong. Berto's chin has been under question but a lot of that has to do with bad footwork and fundementals. When I was watching the fight and Berto continued to fight with his hans low after Ortiz rung his bell in the first rd. I said to myself advantage Ortiz. Berto's stamina has also been under question an his inside fighting game doesn't exist to date. You (BERTO) need to get off twitter making excuses and trying to save face and focus on your fundementals cuz they suck and athleticism will only get you so far in this game. Snap out of it homie, you got work to do. You waste energy, your jab is terrible, you got too voices in yor corner which is no good, your hands are low at the wrong time and you fight pretty...an I don't mean that in a good way. Your trainer did nothing for you when you needed him most and your skills have grown NONE since the Collazo fight which is an indictment on your trainer. I don't know if your not listening to him or he brought you as far as he can. Point the finger at yourself first(CHRIST said that). You could've won that fight if you didn't blow it the sixth rd. Teddy Altas mentioning boxers who don't know how to box...YOU'RE on that list buddy. As far as Ortiz did or he didn't who's to say in this day an age, but that's not where your focus needs to be. YOU lost that fight...period!!! When your gameplan wasn't working you had NO plan B, no adjustment what so ever. Step up your skills and your ring IQ and you'll win the rematch. Train HARDER and better your odds of winning!!! Even after the fight was over you had a look n your face like you thought you'd get another gift, not that night, and not in the rematch unless you raise the bar. Tough love for you youngsta. Get to it. Dueces

Real Talk says:

Too many voices in your corner.

Real Talk says:

I don't have time to correct all the mistakes, you know what I'm saying. Kids pressing me to go to the playground. Dueces

excellent post all together...

fundamentals are developed at an early age. fundamentals equal longevity when
the athletic skills of phenomenal speed and timing begin to fade, see roy jones as opposed to bernard hopkins who has fundamentals while roy didnt develop them, as he didnt need to in his prime due to his phenomenal athletic talents..

however, of course fundamentals can be improved even at a late stage and ring iq can be learned and improved if you are a student of the game. which bernard is along with some other crafty boxers, jmm, whitaker and such.

berto is not a student of the game, hence his nonexistent improvement over the last 4 years.

berto does not even deserve a rematch and if he gets one ortiz will knock him out

Right-On RealTalk(sweet post)....What can a fighter gain from sniping his opponents character After the fight? Now is the time to trek up to the Himalayan Mountains. ...get some inner peace and reflect on the solution to your pugilistic problems.... then come back better than ever...NEVER SAY..."that wasn't me out there"... Of course it was you, that was you all day long, pretending you knew the rope-a-dope and shoulder-roll while nearly getting pummelled into submissision along the ropes..post fight postering is not what real winners do.

The usual sour grapes. Dont talk. Get a rematch and try to change the outcome. Be a man.

"B" says:

@amayseng.........I really respect everything you said because you make a sound argument and good points . But I mainly respect it because its your "opinion" . And just like you have your opinion I have mine based on what I saw. My assessment of what I saw had nothing to do with Berto but all to do with how Ortiz looked . And in to me and many other people it didn't look anything like the victor we saw before. The bottom line is that all we do is speculate on what we think we know. When the truth None of us really know a d*** thing about what goes on behind the scenes and we don't know who's using Peds or not. But bloging is fun. Not a forum to say whether you're right and someone else is wrong bro, or sis of you are a woman. I just say that people need to get educated on the game and make opinions based on what they seen with their own eyes . Don't be a sheep and say what you think and if someone disagrees then hey that sparks debate. Boxing has the worst drug screening practices of any sport and that's a consensus. So why do people think its so far fetched that guys could be using......lol ......don't be fooled folks. If there is a way to cheat then there will always be a group willing to go that route. On any level of any sport.......... And I'm not saying you're ignorant amayseng I am speaking to anyone who has tunnel vision . Be blessed !!!!!!!!

TEACH, Real Talk, TEACH! PREACH, Real Talk, PREACH! AMEN, brotha! Ya Da MAN with da righteous PLAN. Berto oughta listen to you, because da sucka will again be another Flop-O! No doubt, there were too many voices in his corner, and not enough old-schooling. Holla!

i respect your response and i understand your views. i just think its unfair to taint an athletes accomplishments due to this day and age where there have been soooo many cheaters and ped users. its sad because a lot of athletes have ruined it for the athletes that earned it.

i dont think victors accomplishment should be tainted because there is a recent history in all of sports of doping or ped use.

going by victors physical productivity in that fight there was nothing there to allow me to suspect anything unusual.

his punch stats were within normal limits, his power and speed as well.

he looked more filled out and healthy, for his age and height along with body structure he should have been fighting at this weight for probably two years now.

in todays day and age of cheaters and guys who ruin sports, we have to be responsible and allow those who have not tested in guilt to be innocent, not be tainted.

boxing fans know that bernard hopkins is a disciple of health and nutrition, but when a normal person hears on espn that hopkins won a title at 46 and pascal was blurting out take the test take the test, even tho he never asked for one in negotiations, then they automatically think or suspect bernard of being a cheater and view boxers as cheaters in general

the sport does not need this negativity...

Wow! There is more than "a recent history in all of sports," concerning PEDs and doping. This jive has being going on for tons of lifetimes. But it is hyped like a muthajoker. A low percentage of athletes use these PEDs, because they largely gives placebo affects. If a sportsperson ain't got it, he/she will benefit negatively from PEDs or prayers or Jack and Jill, and won't be able to find a molehill. And that is a hard fact, Jack! So myth believers of that jive, should get their money back. Mixing water with water is much better than PEDs and doping. Hehehehe! Da Vicious One ain't Barry Bonds. It's Vicious Victor Time, and somebodee oughta recognize! Holla!

undisputed34 says:

man..some interesting points of view on this article..i like it..no need for me to reiterate all that been said so ill just this. regardless of whether ortiz used ped's or not, berto has fought and carried himself in such a way that he deserved everything he got that night. berto has never displayed the ability to think his way to a victory..to take away an opponents strengths and make him depend upon his weaknesses. not to mention, he literally guaranteed that victor be willing to die in the ring after pretty much calling him a coward in the media. did he think he would just show up and victor would just forfeit? berto needs to have the mentality of a guy who is at the bottom of the heap and fight that way in the ring. get off twitter and keep his comments to himself and let his skills, or lack thereof do the talking

"B" says:

his punch stats were within normal limits, his power and speed as well.

the sport does not need this negativity...

I know i agree our sport does not need negativity, I am a huge optimist when it comes to the state of the game. But I also feel like some of the things going on that I know about in boxing and sports nutrition just here in the dc area just represent a much bigger problem. I just feel that something bad is coming. With boxing's ancient testing practices combined with the ever-evolving world of ped's you have to at least agree that something has to be done. People have to stop thinking that guys people just have high character and will not cheat given the chance. I have seen guys cheat and it goes on every level of athletics. It is the sport's to police. But I feel what you are saying at the same time