De La Hoya Apologizes To Arum and Pacquiao Via Twitter...WOODS

BY Michael Woods ON May 26, 2011

De La Hoya Apologizes To Arum and Pacquiao Via TwitterThese two men got along when they did business together for their 2008 fight. De La Hoya extended a peace offering via Twitter on May 26, saying he wants everyone to play nice, so boxing fans can benefit. (Hogan)

This is a brand new age we live in, isn't it? Oscar De La Hoya is doing some 12 step work, it looks like, via Twitter.

The retired fighter, currently in rehab battling cocaine and booze issues, according to the gossip site TMZ, took to Twitter to make some amends on Thursday afternoon. (I cleaned up the Tweets for spelling and grammar and such).

"Dear Bob Arum, first I would like to humbly apologize for any pain I have caused to you and or your family. I also want to apologize to Manny Pacquiao for any wrong doing in my part. You are a great champion. I have realized that by accepting my mistakes everyone around me will hopefully forgive me. With great humility I ask we work together for the good of the sport we dearly love. It is not fair to the fans and to the fighters. So today let's move forward and put on the best fights possible and show the world what we are capable of doing. Thank you Bob. Your friend Oscar

Simply stunning, no?

Cynics out there might see this as mere posturing, or inappropriate gestures which would be better suited to a behind-closed-door meeting.

I disagree; I applaud Oscar firmly, because he is indeed humbling himself to a humongous audience.

Sure, there is a calculating nature to the plea for everyone to get along. But Oscar's right, the fans will benefit if Arum and Oscar and Schaefer and Pacquiao, and yes, Mayweather too, can move beyond sniping. We in the media don't help matters by focusing on the mud slinging, and encouraging it by serving it up the a hungry public. Let us all follow Oscar's lead, and admit our culpability, so we can move forward, and not wallow, which only enriches some lawyers who don't need enriching.

Oscar, we at TSS appreciate your public displays of humility, and encourage all parties to get over past bad blood. Keep it professional, keep it classy, and keep the sport advancing. Your friends at TSS

Big Money O is and has always been a class act. Of course, we Filipinos can easily forgive him. "But by the Grace of God, there go I!" BMO has admitted to what -- chemicals -- made him a nasty temp demon. [All of us who have been knowing him forever was shock about his recent behavior. Now we know what it was. And salute him for mannin' up.] Boozes and drugs will turn the best of us into something that we will never believe. Big salutes to BMO. He is still Da MAN and a gentleman. And he will conquer this latest adversed plight. Knock dat sorry sucka right off his back. Holla!

MisterLee says:

I hope he's honest. As a fighter, he was honest, hard working, and gave fans what they paid for. He fought good fighters, didn't trash talk, and kept it clean in and out of the ring. As a promoter, he's been the opposite. He's been a snake, dishonest, lying, backstabbing (fallout with mosley? trying to ruin pacquiao marquez 3?), and simply doing a worse job than when Schaeffer was doing more of the promoting. I applaud you Oscar and hope you can do for the sport through promoting what you once did (and might do again) through fighting. Holler! But like the saying goes: talk is cheap! Make it happen!

admin says:

Didn't Mosley bolt Golden Boy? Can you blame him for jumping ship to make a boatload of cash??

Working in an above board business invironment brings with it the inherent commitment to kiss ass and doing it with attorney approved rhetoric. On my job as a case worker a day doesn't go by without me having to place my lips on somebodies disgruntled kiester through the course of my day (although over the phone).. While filing a law suit over what should have been "fighting" words sets a precident for legal action as a remedy against below-the-belt trash-talk....... GBP,Mayweather and company should have understood the sensitivities of the topic they were playing with. I would expect nothing less from a corporate leader and wish it had been Floyd who manned up first to break the ice. Doesn't matter if he meant it, just matters that ODLH spoke the words necessary to make Manny whole. Now maybe TOP RANK and GBP can bring us the fights we have been waiting for. Class Act so far by Arum not gloating in the press.

For the record, Floyd Jr will not apologize until after he's beaten Pac.

I guess that record is BROKEN, because Lil Floyd will never BEAT Da Manny in dat squared jungle or probably any jungle. Holla!

Latest Articles

boxingoddsgonzalezvsyaegashiforwbcflyweighttitleseptember5
boxingoddsmartinezvsframptonforibfsuperbantamweighttitleseptember6
emmanueltaylorwillfaceadrienbroneronseptember6
boxingoddsortizvsmatthysseforwbcsilverlightwelterweighttitleseptember6
getreadyforbusyendingforboxingyear2014
mannyandthehuntingtonhearthrobtouchdowninvegas
stillnoconsensusonrockymarcianosplaceinboxinghistory
bondsposeswithpacmaninsertowncaption
alexarizaseemstobeadvisingfloydmayweather
martinezsaltyatpearsonforpullout

Who's the best Mexican boxer today?