Oscar De La Hoya Is In Rehab...WOODS

BY Michael Woods ON May 21, 2011

Oscar De La Hoya Is In RehabOscar De La Hoya, the ex fighter known as "The Golden Boy" who now heads his own fight promotion company, checked himself into a rehab facility sometime in the last few weeks, reports the celebrity gossip website TMZ.

A report running on ESPN.com quoted Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions as explaining that the reason Oscar wasn't in Montreal to watch Golden Boy fighter Bernard Hopkins fight Jean Pascal on Saturday night is because he is currently in a rehab. Oscar gave a statement, which ran on ESPN.com. "After doing an honest evaluation of myself, I recognize that there are certain issues that I need to work on," De La Hoya said. "Like everyone, I have my flaws, and I do not want to be one of those people that is afraid to admit and address those flaws. "Throughout my career and my life, I have always met all challenges head-on, and this is no different. I am confident that with the support of my family and friends, I will become a stronger, healthier person."

TSS wishes Oscar well in this fight. The boxer is certainly not alone in his predicament, as fighters Ricky Hatton and Joe Calzaghe also recently tangled publicly with substance abuse issues after exiting the ring. Oscar retired in 2009 after he was soundly thrashed by Manny Pacquiao in December 2008. His ring record stands at 39-6.

The rehab stint comes as a surprise to me. I follow De La Hoya on Twitter and confess I've become fonder of him, seen him more as flesh and blood human as I've read his Tweets, which frequently contain more "truth," more emotion, than many have come to expect from the boxer, who can come off as something of a guarded sort when relating to the media. In the past few days, Oscar has been even more raw than usual on Twitter.

"Take a deep breathe and let out all that anger that makes you hate.it really is going to be o.k," he wrote to his followers on May 20.  He also wrote, "Stop finding excuses not to live.life is controlled by what you make of it and not of what it makes of you." He posted a photo of a gorgeous sunset vista, and wrote, "I feel on top of the world" on May 19. Perhaps he took the photo from his room at the facility? The same day, he wrote, "Today I healed my pain so I can heal yours tomorrow."

Aged 38, Oscar held titles in six different weight classes. He grew up in East LA, and climbed the amateur ranks to a lofty position, winning a gold medal at the 1992 Olympics in Spain. Despite that nickname, which would indicate a gilded path to greatness, Oscar's life hasn't been an easy ride. His mom died in 1990 from breast cancer. In June 2008, he was dragged thru the mud by an ex stripper, after photos of the boxer dressed in fishnet lingerie turned up. She tried to sue him, but dropped the suit when the photos were found to be doctored.

I wonder what Oscar was up to behind the scenes. Drinking or drugging or both. I hope Oscar gets the help he needs. I know if I had that kind of money I would have been found naked and dead a long time ago. I also wonder if when Oscar gets clean and feels better if he will make a comeback. I was reading in Ring magazine an article about Alvarez and Oscar said something about his partying ways cost him four years of his boxing career. Don't fight again Oscar. Go take a look at Sugar Ray Leonard's fights with Terry Norris and Hector Camacho. Don't embarrass yourself the way Ray did. Best of luck Oscar.

Rehab is supposed to empower a man to make sound decisions....not propell him to seek the fickle approval of man.... by trying to reclaim the faded glory of his warrior days... if Oscar needs to do that....then he needs to find the type of help to deal with those issues as well. We don't need any more of our ICONS going the way of Evander or the tragic Roy Jones.... I entered rehab myself several times...several decades ago.. They never helped much. Had to devise my own rule book, such as: never miss payday or monday at work. Find a worthy cause to spend my disposable cash on rather than squadering it in the streets ....and if I just couldn't resist...at least pay the rent, utilities, buy groceries and take my vitamins before indulging in destructive activities. This was after I graduated from living on the streets, jail, and in homeless shelters....After a while substance abuse went from being a priority to being to being the last thing on my to-do list. Then the demons began to fade into obscurity after making a commitment to my God, myself, and my family.. And I'm sure my situation was hardly unique....We all find ways to cope if we have something to live for...... I think Oscar gets maligned a lot by fairweather fans .. but he was once one of the greatest achievers in the sport...He literally fought every big name from Pernell and Chavez to Bhop, Mayweather and Pacman....Oscar never ducked anybody.... I have no doubt that he'll confront and defeat. This adversary as well.

Go Big Dope -- I mean Big Money -- O! It's about time. We were all beginning to worry about you. Holla!

ultimoshogun says:

Good post Sug, your brief background story says alot about your character...looking forward to your exclusive interview with the Roast...as for Oscar, i wish him the best of luck with whatever he's battling.

undisputed34 says:

@ brown suge..very good post. interesting to hear some of your backstory. glad to see that the obstacles in your life have become stepping stones to a higher place..

That B-Sug interview will be next weekend if both parties can come to terms. If anyone has any questions that they would like me to ask Sug please leave them on the Roast page. You could get a mention as a member of my writing staff. Brownsugar is a very interesting and complicated man. His story will be revealed right here on TSS.

@Roast .......sound like fun...thanks Ultimo and Undisputed for the support......it's nothing I ever sought to glorify..the whole experience is no more that an echo of regret .....a vague but costly memory...that I can't take back...the only cure is to keep moving on...pc

Ultimo' I'm diggin that avatar....Go-Bucks!!!!!!

FighterforJC says:

I can't really say that I feel sorry for any mega millionaire who goes through something like this. If somebody gave me an offer many years ago that I would make a hundred million dollars by the time I'm 38 but that I would have to have a brief stint with cocaine addiction and have to go through rehab, I would've taken the deal with no second thoughts.