Proof Positive That Hopkins Is An Ageless Wonder
|Written by The Sweet Science|
|Thursday, 19 May 2011 12:10|
BERNARD HOPKINS: THE AGELESS WONDER...
AND THE STATISTICS TO PROVE IT
Montreal, Canada (May 19)...We are just a few days away from the most talked about rematch in recent years as Bernard Hopkins attempts to make history this Saturday, May 21 when he faces Jean Pascal for the WBC, WBC Diamond & Ring Magazine Light Heavyweight World Championships in Pascal's backyard at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada in a bout that will be televised live on HBO's World Championship Boxing® in the United States and on pay-per-view in Canada. If the 46-year-old Hopkins should emerge victorious, he will become the oldest boxer in history to win a significant world title.
Below please find statistics that further illustrate Hopkins' longevity as boxing's ageless wonder reaches for history once again.
HOPKINS AGE STATISTICS:
· Hopkins was born in 1965. In that same year:
· Lyndon B. Johnson was President of the United States;
· The first U.S. combat troops were deployed to Vietnam;
· Malcom X was assassinated;
· The Beatles performed the first stadium concert in the history of rock and roll at Shea Stadium in New York.
· The world's population has doubled since Hopkins' birth year (the population went from 3,334,874,000 in 1965 to 6,775,235,700 in 2011).
· Hopkins entered Graterford State Penitentiary the year Pascal was born (1982).
· Pascal was barely six years old when Hopkins fought his first professional fight (1988).
· When Hopkins won his first world title against Segundo Mercado on April 29, 1995, Pascal was only 12 years old.
· At the time of Pascal's first professional fight (February 3, 2005 against Justin Hahn), Hopkins had already fought 49 professional fights and was preparing to fight Howard Eastman on February 19, 2005 in his 20th defense of his middleweight crown.
· Hopkins' career has spanned nearly 23 years, seven U.S. presidential terms and 11 Olympic Games.
· Thirty-one of Hopkins' 58 professional fights were against opponents younger than him.
· Hopkins has won two fights (against Kelly Pavlik and Enrique Ornelas) where there was at least a 15 year or more age differential between him and his opponent (Pavlik was 17 years younger and Ornelas was 15 years younger).
· There is an 18 year age difference between Pascal and Hopkins, the largest in Hopkins' career.
# # #
"Dynasty II: Pascal vs. Hopkins" is presented by GroupeYvon Michel and Golden Boy Promotions and sponsored by Casino de Montreal, Videotron and Coors Light. The 12-round WBC, WBC Diamond and Ring Magazine Light Heavyweight World Championship fight will take place Saturday, May 21 at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada and will be televised live on HBO's World Championship Boxing beginning at 10:00 p.m. ET/7:00 p.m. PT in the United States and distributed live on pay-per-view in Canada on Canal Indigo, Bell TV, Shaw TV, Viewer's Choice and Sasktel in French and English beginning at 7:00 p.m. ET. A 12-round light heavyweight bout between former World Champions Chad Dawson and Adrian Diaconu will also be featured on the telecast. Dawson vs. Diaconu is presented in association with Gary Shaw Productions and InterBox.
Tickets, priced at C$500, C$350, C$250, C$175, C$110, C$75, C$50 and C$35, are on sale now and may be purchased at the Bell Centre box office or by calling (514) 790-2525 or (877) 668-8269. Tickets are also available online at www.evenko.ca.