ROACH: "Manny Has Had Maybe Best Camp Ever"

BY The Sweet Science ON April 21, 2011

ROACH: Manny Has Had Maybe Best Camp EverWednesday, April 19
Wild Card Boxing Club, Hollywood, Calif.

Pacquiao-Mosley PPV Fight Saturday, May 7,

At MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nev.
_________________________________
_____________________________________________

HOLLYWOOD, Calif.  (April 19, 2011) – Eight-division world champion Congressman Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao hosted what many in attendance described as boxing's No. 1 pound for pound media day workout.

A standing room only crowd of national and international media packed the Wild Card Boxing Club on Wednesday to interview Pacquiao, five-time Trainer of the Year Freddie Roach and Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum about Pacquiao's May 7 World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight title defense, at the sold-out MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nev., against three-division world champion Sugar Shane Mosley.

The Pacquiao vs. Mosley world title fight is the main event of a four-fight telecast that will be produced and distributed live by SHOWTIME PPV® beginning at 9 p.m. ET / 6 p.m. PT. The mega-event will be available in HD-TV for those viewers who can receive HD. For Pacquiao vs. Mosley fight week updates, log on to www.sports.SHO.com or www.toprank.com .

Closed circuit tickets, priced at $50, are on sale and available at all Las Vegas MGM Resorts properties.

The energetic Pacquiao trained for more than two hours immediately following an equally long interview session.

What Pacman, Arum and Roach said Wednesday:

PROMOTER BOB ARUM

“Nobody can count Shane Mosley out.  He is a good, good fighter, especially when he fights an aggressive opponent like Manny Pacquiao.

“Shane Mosley is a dangerous fighter.  He is bigger than Manny, strong and he still has his speed.  He has never been stopped.  He can take anyone’s best punch and come back as strong as ever.  He’s so resilient.  You can’t hurt him.

“Manny has trained harder than I have ever seen.  He’s in the same condition as he was before he fought Miguel Cotto.

“My matchmakers said Shane would make the most entertaining fight for the fans.  For pure name recognition Shane Mosley is the best fighter for marketability.’’

MANNY PACQUIAO

“I’m in top condition for the fight.  I’m just excited to fight and beat people up.

“I never compare myself to anybody.  I don’t look at my accomplishments compared to anyone.  I’m happy with what I’ve accomplished in boxing.

“Shane can still fight.  He’s fast and he’s training hard. It’s hard to rate him against the other (opponents).  This time he’s determined to shock the world.  It’s going to be a good fight.

“My concern is what fight we can give to the fans. My first concern as a boxer is to try hard and give a good fight for the fans.

“Mosley is bigger than me.  He’s fast and his hand speed is still there.  He’s faster than most of my opponents. He’s also preparing hard and he’s also good, so we never underestimate our opponent.

“I’m just going to punch him and do my best.  If the knockout comes, it comes.

“In the ring I can tell right away what his style is and I can adapt to it. I’m adjusting to life as a politician.  It’s different in training but I can stay focused on both.

“I never distract myself.  I’m always in full force in the fight, full force in training. “I’m ready for the fight. I  don’t want to predict.  I just do my best and give a good fight. The way I’m training now I’m only 144 pounds.

“For me, boxing isn’t about hurting each other.  Boxing is entertainment and making people happy.

“I don’t know who I’ll fight next.  No idea.  (Juan Manuel) Marquez is good for me – he’s not too big.

(On fighting Floyd Mayweather)

“For me, there’s a chance.  It’s up to him if he wants to fight.  He’s trying to wait for me to get
older.”

TRAINER FREDDIE ROACH

“I’m excited about this fight because we know that Shane is going to bring it.

“Manny has had maybe his best camp ever and is in tip-top shape. He’s still hungry, and is training harder now than when he first started. There is no way he is taking this fight lightly and he is definitely ready for Sugar Shane.

“His motivation is his concentration. For this fight, he’s been able to stay totally focused. Before his last fight he had to worry about campaigning, Congress, music and making movies.

“Since we can’t wait for the No. 1 guy – you know who I mean -- to stop running away from us, we have to fight who’s available. We got this offer to fight Shane and it made sense.

“Mayweather likes to say he is better than Sugar Ray Robinson, but I think it is more important for him to keep the zero on his record than it is to fight Manny. We hope the opportunity comes for a fight with Mayweather, but Manny is going to continue to fight, even if it means moving up in weight to go after nine titles.

“The fight with Sugar Shane will not be easy. But my prediction is that Manny will win by knockout and become the first boxer to stop Mosley.

“I know when I first started working with Manny that he was something special. But eight world titles? No one could have expected that.’’

FORMER NBA AND COLLEGE STAR JALEN ROSE

“I’m a big Manny Pacquiao fan.  It’s a tough call to pick between him and Shane.  Sugar Shane is a vet.  He asked for this fight and he got this fight, but I think Pacquiao has too much speed and too much power.  I’m a big fan of both fighters though.  It’s going to be a great fight.”

Camp Manny is ALL good for whupping Sugar Shane's BUTT! Don't believe chitchatting about "knocking" Da Manny out by the Sugarman. Da Manny is gonna bust da sucka in da gut and knock him on his butt. That's right! Da Manny is going to hurt soft-abs SSM to the body. Shaping of the stomach does not have JACK to do with taking body punches. Building of dat gut is what keeps you off your butt. Just as the Sugarman has been putting out whale-sized lies that Money May ran from him, SSM is staging an optical illusion that his long-in-the-tooth belly is not soft under those abs like applesauce protein jelly. Just watch how Da Manny tears up Shane's torso comes May 7. Trainer Genie Naazim's every move will be CHECKMATED! Sugar Shane has a iron chin, but what about that gut? Nyet! Just a lot of tin. Holla!

Roach says this everytime.

The Roast is no doubt a ladies' MAN! Dude love those dolls -- the back, the front, the sides. I ain't hating. But I got an evil-twin wife, who knows kick-arse. Since she knows that I'm not a Sugar Ray Robinson or Money May, she'd go upside my head in a New York sec. So nowadays I stay sober and keep eyes in my head when the babes are gettin' on their flirtin' on with me. Enough said! Holla!

FighterforJC says:

I read somewhere that Ariza is concerned that Pacquiao may be peaking too soon.

Real Talk says:

All propaganda, the hype, psych shots being fired across the bow or whatever have you. Shane has never been known for being soft in the gut or suspect to the body more than any other boxer so those charges are shotty. All he needs is patience and get back to basics, place his shots so no energy is wasted. Left hooks behind lead rights but I aint gon give away the fight, it's a couple of things we know Manny P don't like. Talking bout the abs but watch for the jab, The scientist Naz putting in work in the lab. Instead of all aggression I see a technical session in the eye of the storm Shane cool calm and collected. The blueprints been drawn now it's time for the lesson, Pac come with that pitty pat an a knap he'll be catchin. The Sugar turning back the clock, looking razor sharp, transformin like autobots comin wit hammers and heart. For Pac this won't be a skip in the park, I see a lot of trick'em, give'em feints n stick'em. Guard ya knot we all know that Shane can chop! Dueces

Manny is probably one of the finest athletes in the biz today... puts his body-weight behind his punches... and his opponents can't catch a break unless they know how to dance or get at least get him to the final rounds(which few have proven any knowledge of). Pac is surely focusing on being at his ultimate best since he represents a significant following of pridefull fans back home and around the world. ....My thing is this...Mosley new the fight was on 5 months ago... I wonder if did any extra-curricula work to be sure he's able to handle the monumental task at hand... not that I'm a Mosley fan,.. but like with the Klitscho Brothers.... I want to see if anybody can give the brave Welter from the Philipines a decent fight? $50 is a lot to pay in this economy for a mismatch.. ( I see you're in rare form today RealTalk,... I like your optimism,.. I'd just be happy to see a good fight)

Few pugilists have gone to the sugar gut of Shane, that is why. Nonetheless, the late Vernon Forrest busted up Sugar Shane's gut in the amateurs and pros. Go holla at the bouts. I keep saying that just because one didn't see or hear a tree fall in the forrest that doesn't mean that it did not fall. Those in da know know. Sugar Shane is a soft-gut, turtle-legged, now long-in-da-tooth pugilist, who is going to get his arse dusted. His days for great boxing are 0 -- zero! Time ends on all of us. Holla!

taking nothing away from the late and great vernon forrest, but he landed that right hand that changed shanes mentality for two fights after a head butt.

secondly, and i am a huge pac fan, but how can a fighter have :his best camp ever,

every single fight????

FighterforJC says:

Because it gets better every time, duh. Also, last time, Pac definitely had one of his WORST camps ever. So there. Finally, it's mostly subjective.

And no, you're not a Pac fan.

Hey, Fe'Roz, YUP! Da Manny is definitely going to bust Sugar Shane in that softly-filled belly of abs. Shane, his dad, Pops Sugar Jack and his trainer, da ole wise Genie Naazim, know what time it is. Shane will be in that squared jungle shaking like a leaf on tree on a windy day. Da Manny is gonna chop some serious wood. Kill that body and that head falls for REAL TALK! Hehehehehehe! It's all good good. Holla!

Latest Articles

quotesfrommayhemmediadayfrommaidanasantacruzvazquezmore
thecomebackwentofftherailsnowformikejonesqwellseewhathappensq
publicistswansondefendsmayweatherqyeshecanreadq
maidanahopesmayweatherstandsandfightsqlikeamanq
ismayweather50centbeeftrueorfalsesadsignofthetimesorwhat
alertmayweathermaidanaiippvstartsat8pmet
wbcssulaimancontinuespushforbetterteamwork
algieriisntplayingtouristinchinaqthisisworktimeq
adrienbronersayshesfightinglamontpeterson
chavezjrdoesntwantcrackatchampanthonydirrell

Who's the best Mexican boxer today?

56%