MMAer Nick Diaz Wants To Try Boxing, Possibly Fight Jeff Lacy, Sergio Martinez or Fernando Vargas

BY The Sweet Science ON April 19, 2011

nick_diaz-1TSS U, could Diaz concievably get it done against a top level boxer, or even a faded star? Weigh in, in the Forum!

Northern California, April 19, 2011 - It's the type of quest for greatness that has the masses in a frenzy.

Strikeforce welterweight champion, Nick Diaz is making an open challenge to the boxing world as he pursues the impossible attempting to become a recognized world champion in two dominant fighting sports.

Currently riding a 10-fight win streak, Diaz is ready to make the cross-over into boxing as he feels as though there aren't enough significant challenges for him within the MMA world left to conquer.

Regardless of being a controversial figure with his outspoken personality and vicious fighting demeanor, knowledgeable MMA pundits have tabbed Nick Diaz as having by far the best pure boxing ability that the MMA world has to offer.

The current champions and former champions that have verbally considered obliging Diaz in a boxing match have ranged from former super middleweight champion Jeff "Left Hook" Lacy to former two-time junior middleweight champion Fernando Vargas.

Lou Dibella, the promoter of current undisputed middleweight champion, Sergio Martinez has showed significant interest in making a Martinez-Diaz super-fight a possibility.

Trainer and manager of Nick Diaz, Cesar Gracie states, "Nick Diaz will be boxing in 2011 and we want the biggest names the boxing world has to offer. Nick is more than ready for the challenge and it's the type of fight that will really garner some huge interest amongst the public. For the boxing guys who say that Nick has no shot against any of their guys... I say don't be surprised when Nick pulls off the impossible."

The possibilities seem endless as this is a historically significant challenge being made by a fearless fighter in his absolute prime.

This will undoubtedly be the only moment in the history of both sports in which a legitimate pound-for-pound MMA champion has the contractual ability to transition into professional boxing without hindrance from their MMA contract.

The only question left is... Who will step up and accept Nick Diaz's challenge to lace up the boxing gloves against one of MMA's best?

Boxing promoter of Nick Diaz, Don Chargin will be actively pursuing a fight for Diaz for a super-fight that will take place in the Fall of 2011.

Chargin went on to say. "It's the type of match-up that will undoubtedly shake-up both the MMA and boxing world for years to come when Nick Diaz steps into the ring.  Nick is the first MMA fighter that I've seen throw punches like a boxer.  That's what got my attention when I decided to sign him.  Diaz can make the cross-over to boxing."

"Dont be surpised if Nick pulls of the impossible." Strange choice of words. I have been following the MMA for a couple of years now. Not so much the UFC but Strikeforce is on Showtime so I started to watch. Nick Diaz has become my favorite MMA fighter. Always in a good fight, he prefers to stand up and throw punches alot more than the roll around guys. Nick has excellent boxing skills. That being said, I dont think he could hang with Sergio. Vargas has been out of boxing for quite a while and he was done when he left. A fight between Diaz and Vargas might be a good freak show. They would talk great smack in the build up. Lacy might be too much for Diaz, even though Lacy is on his last legs. Why wouldnt Diaz take a few smaller tuneups to see what he's got? I wish Nick Diaz well cuz he is my MMA guy. Deep down Dibella knows it is a mission impossible.

ND is apparently da MAN in his cup of poison. But everybodeee and dey momma just think that they can cross over to the sweet science. I got news for you. NYET! ND would not rise to the top forty of his weight in boxing. Enough said! Holla!

i like diaz, i watched him fight numerous times and even last week when he fought...he had me laughing as he was talking smack in the octogon during the fight...he is a true fighter, a true gamer, always comes to fight, always is exciting...but lets be honest...defending against these poor boxers in mma, despite a few, diaz would not be able to measure up very well against a pure boxer...lacy, vargas........????seriously???? those guys are shot or old... how is that impressive? even an old roy jones jr boxes his ears off at 41 years old....i love diaz in mma, he is a true stud.....but if he is gonna cross over and wants respect he has to fight someone notable....

ultimoshogun says:

Hmm, I think Vargas is a winnable fight for Diaz. Not so sure bout Lacy, its been forever since i've seen him fight, but i'm sure he still has the power to cave in Nick's face. Against Martinez I wouln't give Diaz much of a chance, but it would be fun to watch Nick taunt and stalk Martinez while calling him bitch. The guy that I think would be a great matchup is Chavez Jr...thats who Nick oughta be calling out.

MisterLee says:

All good, I think Nick Diaz sucks, but that's just me. No head movement, no lateral movement, and kind of just stalks and throws punches. He does find range well and has good timing, but he just stalks like a mummy. Not a fan of him in mma nor boxing. However, Jon Jones or maybe Anderson Silva crossing over? Maybe. But yeah, that's about it for me. No offense to anyone, but yeah, I think Nick diaz doesn't have the goods as far as a pro boxer goes, but cheers to pple who like his all action style, and he's got heart and a good chin. Holler!

i agree with misterlee completely...

the thing is, against mma fighters who are below average amatuer boxers, he can get away

with fighting like that...

against a true good boxer, he gets torched..

Big Daddy says:

I love Homeboy Nick. He's been my favorite MMA fighter going back to his KO of Robbie Lawler.Homie keeps it Real. I think he's already got some sanctioned Boxing Matches under his belt. Most MMA guys Boxing skills are crude at best and the power in their punches doesnt translate due to large differnce in glove size. Why do you think Dana White freaked out when Anderson Silva agreed to a Boxing Match? (Dana pressured him in to cancelling) Because he knew that odds were really good that one of his top guys would probably get KO'ed by a competent Boxer. Thus ending his MMA is better than Boxing crusade (Farce).Not saying Nick can't hang but he gets really sloppy in his stand-up.

I'm agreeing with all you guys, except for the Caveman, I love Nick Diaz but he would catch a beating from a competant boxer. He was talking about fighting those guys mentioned above after his last fight and I LOLed. The Vargas trashtalk/freakshow would be fun. Diaz last fight was five minutes of pure mayhem. I also like the Chavez jr idea. Let that rich kid fight a scary mo fo! Anybody seen Bully Beatdown on MTV2? Funny stuff!

#1 PacFan says:

Oh no way, Nick Diaz in boxing? I mean come on, he's a good stand up fighter...only in MMA. Like I've said before MMA fighters would get their @ss whooped in that squared jungle and boxers would look like rag dolls in that octagon. Two of the most brutal sports but two different scientifically strategic fighting styles. You take away a MMA fighter's legs and elbows and you get a boxer putting on a clinic. You take away a boxers gloves and teach him to defend against a man trying to wrestle or kick you in the head and you get a lost boxer. It would be impossible for a boxer to dominate in the MMA and MMA fighters to dominate boxing.

Ditto #1 PacFan. I agree! And ev'ybodeee and dey momma know dat this is coming from the one and only Radam G, since no faders, fakers and knuckleheads can clone your's truly in diz now SUPER Universe. No MMA suckas can hang punching with an elite boxer. And an elite boxer cannot do that ground and pound jive and testes touching and wrestling and hugging up against a darn fence.

Just make dat moola in whatever is your poison. I ain't hatin!' Holla!

FighterforJC says:

Again your ignorance is on display with neon lights. "No head movement, lateral movement," yadda yadda yadda. You're not gonna see an MMA fighter move like a pro boxer in an MMA fight because pro boxing movements are ineffective. You keep saying the same thing over and over, oblivious to the fact that slipping and sliding from side to side, bobbing and weaving leaves you vulnerable to all sorts of kicks, elbows and takedowns. Anderson Silva was able to show off some head movement against Forrest Griffin because he's already been tamed and shellshocked. Anderson Silva could've hopped around like a monkey and the outcome would still have been the same. I see your insecurities are getting the better of you because a top MMA fighter actually has the nads to challenge a top pro boxer (Sergio Martinez) his size. Even worse, you're afraid that Diaz might do a lot better than you're hoping for. We've seen a handful of washed up pro boxers trying out MMA, but no top boxer in his prime has ever dared venture into MMA. Nick Diaz is the first top athlete in his prime of either sport to attempt to cross over to challenge the best. He's to be commended. Whether he succeeds or not is what we'll pay to see.

ultimoshogun says:

Oh snap!! I think a brawl is about to break out if Caveman sees this...i'm gonna get my popcorn ready!!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed ultimo! How you like that back?

yeah... what #1 PacFan said.... Diaz versus any of the boxers named would end like Toney vs Randy Couture. only this time the boxer wins. BTW,.. where are they having the fight??? Circ du Solei'?

@Sug, no way would Diaz go out as pathetically as fat James Toney did. Toney is at the end and he made a desperate money grab. Diaz is a champion, still at the top of his sport. I dont think Diaz could beat a top fighter by any stretch. Diaz does have a warriors heart and he would show up in shape and ready for a fight. Toney embarrased boxing with the way he performed. If they matched Diaz carefully he could run up a George Foreman win streak and get a title shot.

@TheRoast,.. no disrespect to Diaz,.. he's undoubtedly a driven athlete,..and he's obviously not James Toney,..But he would get KO'd fast....against a puncher...from what I've seen he couldn't out box an amatuer with 25 fights under this belt... if he truly wants to box,.. he'd better take his time and go slow until he gets a grasp on the fundamentals. Boxing is not a sport any man can play at.. at this point in his career Rooney Jr looks like a boxing master by comparison.

I disagree with you on this one Sug. Rooney Jr wouldnt want any part of a bad ass like Diaz. That guy Rooney fought was weak as hell and he went the distance and had a few good moments. Rooney had better stick with the suit and tie. You could be right about Diaz. I'd like to see him fight Vargas just for the trash talk. Respect as always.

admin says:

I think Diaz-Rooney is a great starter for Nick. But for one thing...MOOLAH. This is a business. 95% of it is about making MOOLAH. So Diaz-Lacy seems like a smarter option, from that perspective, no?

@EM,Yep. It's a business first. I dont know if Nick could hang with Lacy, even the faded version. Rooney Jr would have to be crazy to get in there with a true tough guy like Diaz. Crude bombers like Mayorga or Iran Barkley have made their mark in boxing over the years. Sometimes will can defeat skill. I still think a retired and faded Vargas is a bigger name than Lacy for Nick to get in the ring and make a splash.

FighterforJC says:

No Diaz should go straight to the top, unless boxing fans are so insecure that Diaz would embarrass a top fighter on his first pro boxing match. I think boxing fans would rather see Diaz work his way up because they'd have more fun trying to criticize Diaz' boxing while he beats low level boxers. In the meantime, the top boxers are safe from Diaz while the boxing fans' opprtunity to mock is lengthened. Should Diaz go straight to the top, heaven forbid that he should topple the top guy . Many boxing fans who can't handle the truth will slit their own wrists.

Diaz goes straight to the top of boxing contenders [maybe opponents], and he will be knocked straight out! He is da MAN in his MMA poison, but a straight bum in da sweet science. I've seen the dude straight boxing sparring in the gym. And I must say that he got his arse tore straight up by a 37-year-old ex-boxing opponent. Holla!

FighterforJC says:

Let's see him get knocked straight out, then.

@F4JC, If Nick does go for a top dog that would be a blast. Fun to watch. Edge of your seat stuff. Can he do it? Will he get smoked? I'd be up on my feet for the first bell. I think I'd be rooting for him.

ultimoshogun says:

I think some of you are jumping the gun in writing off Nick Diaz so quickly..If a guy like Mayorga, who doesn't exactly have sound boxing skills can be competitive at this level, then a fighter like Diaz can too. Like Roast said, i'll be watching no matter who he gets in the ring with cuz its sure to be all action.

ultimoshogun says:

ultimoshogun says:

ultimoshogun says:

I'd love to see Diaz prove that he'd get his arse torched and scorched. I'm reminded of footballer "Too Tall" Jones trying to cross over to boxing. He was terrible, fought bums and then had enough sense to go back to his poison of footballing -- I think. I was in gradeschool -- I think -- back then and don't really remember anything, but that he was one terrible pugilist. As a grow-arse man, I see Diaz working on his pure boxing in the gyms. Dude is greener than "The Monsters." Herman, Lily, Grandpa, Eddie and even -the-not-green Marilyn would probably do a job on him. Hehehehehe! Da kid just ain't got it for kick-arse, top-of-the-ladder boxing.Holla!

I dont know RG. Too Tall was football player who thought he could box. He was wrong. Totally different sport. Diaz is a fighter. He might do OK. Diaz seems to get dropped alot but those gloves are way smaller so thats got to be a factor. Who knows? I always say it's better to take your shot and fail than not take a shot and never know. That goes for the ladies as well.

@The Roast, anything is possible. But let me put it this way, when it comes to pure boxing, Diaz is no gym fighter or learner. Maybe seeing him in a real boxing match would bring the sweet science fight funk outta him. Otherwise, he best stick to his poison of MMA. Too Tall won his six bouts. Diaz will win 60 fights against marshmellows and tomato can, but not contenders, opponents and test dummies -- say like Mayorga, who would whupped his arse in IMHO, and just about everybody elses' opinions. Of course, those elses are boxers, former ones and a few boxing scribes who hang out in the gyms. Holla!

Well RG, if we continue the comparison, I dont think Too Tall fought any former world champions in thoes six wins. Mayorga probably would be too much for Diaz but when two brawlers get to punchin, anything can happen. We'll see!

FighterforJC says:

Again, you can talk about the would's and could's but at the end of the day, we want to see Nick Diaz in the ring against a top pro boxer so there won't be any excuses from either side.

C'mon! No speaking French -- We! We! Maybe some of us want to see Nick Diaz in the ring against a top pro boxer. I DON'T! Nick would get his arse destroyed, totally tore up! Maybe fanfaronades like torture, but we in the game don't. When people are on the fringe and marginalized, they tend to believe in mythic things and hope. Those with access to the reality of the actuality know the likely results. I suspect that the story about Nick Diaz wanting to try boxing was just a filler -- a need of copy to fill a hole on a slow day.

Lacy and Martinez would jump at an opportunity to make some BIG dough. If it were a chance for Diaz, and a demand by the public, one of the promoters would put this thing together, even though they know Diaz would probably get destroyed in about a half of minute, as Bimbo Spice did when he fought a live body in da MMA poison. And as an out-of-shape, delusional Ray Mercer and Jame Toney did when they first tried the MMA poison. Holla!

I'm done with Diaz talk. My marginalized ass is out!!!!

Hehehehehehe! Danggit, the Roast! You are an archmaster at cracking people up. I may have to sue for making me injury my sides from gettin' dat laugh on. I hope that you have Don King type of moola. Holla!

FighterforJC says:

Keep the would've could've arguments coming. As for me, I want to see the fight.

Latest Articles

kovalevwillhavemorethancaparelloonhismindaugust2nd
quotesfromfinalkovalevcaparellopresser
sadamaliandanthonypetersontofightatbarclaysaug9
adrienbroneremmanueltayloronforsept6incincy
ideasforprovodnikovsnextrioschaveswinnerherreraandmaybebradley
salitarunningnextqbrooklynbrawlqsept18
dannygarciaqineedaknockoutq
kovalevingoodplacebutotherswouldmarvelatthawingofcoldwar
thefightnetworklookingtocapturethecultureofboxing
visaissueclearedupdiegochavesiscleartofightrios

Who's the best Mexican boxer today?