(UPDATED MON. PM) Should German Authorities Take A Look At How Bad Solis' Knee Was Coming In To His Fight?....WOODS

BY Michael Woods ON March 21, 2011

Klitscho_vs_Peter_Waters_9Sam Peter got another crack at a Klitschko two years after Vitali dominated him. Solis, if he simply sticks around, will likely get recycled as well. There is no need for his promoter to insult our intelligence by campaigning for an immediate rematch right after this fiasco finished. (Hogan)

Hey, Odlanier Solis. You made a bucketload of cash for "fighting" Vitali Klitschko. You and your crew, including promoter Ahmet Oner and manager Jose Perez, should probably just skulk off, fondle your money and stay low for awhile.

Fight fans know that Solis went down in the first round of his title challenge to Vitali  in Cologne, Germany on Saturday after absorbing a right hand that didn't look devastating in nature. As he went down, he twisted his right knee, and it has been reported that he tore ligament and damaged cartilage in that area.

Now, I didn't want to go overboard and slam the guy, because accidents and incidents happen. Sure, it was tempting to really hammer Solis, who has been a tubby heavyweight since he turned pro in April 2007, but he did weigh in a career low for this.

But then I heard his promoter Oner lobbying for a rematch right after the sad spectacle ended. And THEN I read reports that officials involved in the bout, and of course Solis' crew, knew that Solis had a bum knee before the bout, but didn't want to jeopardize the event.

WHAT?

19,000 paid good money to see a sporting event and were led to believe that Odlanier Solis would provide a stern test to Vitali Klitschko....and no one was informed that Solis was held up by a knee that was apparently ready to crumble. How many folks would have bought a seat, or asked for a refund if they knew there was a real possibility that Solis' knee wouldn't hold up?

Here's the lowdown as printed on Sky:

"According to German daily Die Welt, Solis, the WBC's top-ranked challenger, had already experienced problems in his right knee. A spokesperson for Arena Box, which is the name of Oner's promotional outfit spokesman Malte Mueller-Michaelis* confirmed: "We knew it, but we didn't want to let it jeopardise the fight against Vitali. His manager Jose Perez knew about the previous problem, but it was thought it would go away if there was enough training and the muscle stabilised the knee."

Brilliant, Mueller-Michaelis, and if he is to be believed, Perez, and likely Oner. You basically screwed over anyone who watched the bout, and especially those who ponied up money. Every single person who bought a ticket, if this story is correct, and if the knee was truly compromised to a notable degree, should get a refund. EPIX should get back a goodly portion of what they paid to show the fight, minus money for Vitali, I suppose, since he acted in a professional manner and did what he was paid to do.

Oner, meanwhile, has been talking when he should be shutting up.

"Vitali knows exactly what it means to lose a fight due to an injury," Oner said to EastSideBoxing.com. "He has been asking Lennox Lewis for a re-match for years and years and it didn’t materialize. We hope that Vitali will not put Solis in a similar situation like he has been in. Solis has earned a second chance."

Oner, it is debatable whether he earned anything, except a Weight Watchers lifetime membership.

The promoter said his guy will have surgery Thursday. And he also kept talking, putting his foot further into mouth. "The first round was exactly as we had promised: exciting, spectacular and competitive heavyweight boxing on a very high level," he said, butchering the definition of the word 'spectacular.' "I think the was the fight started calls for a re-match."

And I think the fight calls for a thorough examination by the local authorities, on behalf of all the fightwatchers who may have been defrauded.

The heavyweight division being what it is, Solis will be recycled again. Two years after he lit a stinkbomb against Vitali Klitschko, finishing on his stool in the eighth round after getting badly outclassed, Samuel Peter got another crack at a Brother K, taking on Wladimir. He was stopped in the tenth round. He weighed 253 1/2 for Vitali, but put the fork down often enough to weigh 241 for Wlad. I suggest Solis do the same. Eat less, tell your promoter to talk less, and hope that the law in Germany doesn't feel like deciphering just how bad your knee was coming in to the scrap with Vitali.

*=Early Monday evening, I received an email from attorney John Hornewer, who was kind enough to note that the Sky story contained an error. Malte Mueller-Michaelis does not work for the arena where the fight was held, but in fact for Oner.

FOLLOW WOODS ON TWITTER HERE https://twitter.com/#!/Woodsy1069

FighterforJC says:

I'm 100% for an immediate rematch. That was THE most competitive round I've seen Vitali Klitschko in since Lennox Lewis. Klitschko was getting set up for traps and getting beaten to the punch. Anyone against an immediate rematch just don't want to see Vitali get beaten. I'm not saying Solis will, but he definitely can.

Solis should develop some cojones and return the whole bucket of moola and holla at Jenny Craig. If he is a real fighter, he would do this for the benefit of his triple-wide arse future. Not many people in the game with a brain believe that Solis couldn't fight. Boxers, like every other dang athlete, tear ligaments and damage cartilages all the flicking time. That is the nature of sporting. The REAL playas suck that jive up, man up and make an effort to continue. And 90 percent of the time, they get through it. Dude did not have a compound fracture, so his BIG butt should have kept fighting. [It is like U.S. Navy hero Adm. Perry said: "F**k those d*mn torpedoes! Full SPEED ahead." Da double jelly belly poser was worry about da Doc VK's torpedoes -- straight punches -- and ran into a landmine, da doc's left KNEE. Now I know that I'm not the only one who can see the tricks of the trade. Either way, you don't grab the wrong knee and then fake getting up slow and QUIT! Anybody who has been into combat and/or sports, know that adrenaline pumps you -- not shake you down. And you'd pop up -- now turtle up. Then fall down.]

Tons of pugilists have fought with broken jaws, eye sockets, ribs and ankles. MFG -- my fudging George -- Smokin' Joe Frazier fought with 75 percent of his vision lost in one eye for a large part of his career. And Joe Jeanette fought with vision lost in both eyes for half of his career. The pugilistic powers that be had to make Aaron "Hawk Time" Pryor retire when they discovered that he was fighting with severe vision lost. The ligaments and cartilages in former lightheavy and heavy champion Michael Spinks's knees was so bad that he fought with knee bracklets on. Don King -- then evil arse -- made Larry Holmes fight for the title with torn ligaments and cartilages in his shoulder and arm when LH fought Ken Norton. Anybody and dey mommas ought to quit making excuses for a guy (Solis) who cannot control hand-to-mouth food-and-drink stuffing down his big, ole stomach. This is the problem with the game nowadays. There is too much New Jack bullsyet of quitting and still gettin paid. Not only should Solis not get a rematch, he should be put on suspension, forced to donate half of his purse to charity and train with Ann Wolfe for a couple of weeks. Dat mermaid oldschool kick-arse trainer would put it on him. Hehehehehehehehe! He would either slim down and develop some cojones or permanently quit. Holla!

astro1 says:

Of course with only one round fought, it is impossible to tell how things may have turned out. However, it certainly looked as if Solis could have put up a great fight. It makes you wonder though how many fighters go into the ring in questionable physical condition. I would think it's more than it should be and surprising that things like this don't happen more often.

mortcola says:

Two minutes of slick counterpunching by Solis was nice to see. He clearly has some skills. He was also getting pushed around by Klitschko's usual probing, early-rounds jab. I agree with Radam that without getting in true championship shape, he's a bum.

and....

Just watched slo-mo replay of the temple shot. Over and over. It made NO contact with the glove; not partially blocked; it looked like not-much, but landed directly on the soft spot of the temple and snapped Solis' head around, after which his leg's locked - which happens occasionally when there's a sudden neurological incident; and his already-injured knee then gave out. Solis was not moving, torquing, sliding, shifting, at all - he got hit, and then the legs locked and gave out.

I think criticism of Solis' performance is unfounded. He didn't quit. No basis for that. His WEIGHT is an issue, a big one; his decision to come into a championship fight with a hair-trigger injury is shameful.

mortcola says:

BTW - Radam - without the ACL, you CAN'T plant, pivot, etc, without the leg bending backward. You fall down. Strains and cartilage injuries can be helped with a brace. As a recent ACL and meniscus patient, DOWN YOU GO. Period. That's different from fighting half-blind, even with broken upper extremities. Its not even about the pain; it didn't hurt that much. Its about the load-bearing wall crashing in.

FighterforJC says:

I think Solis simply didn't brace for the punch he got hit with. It wasn't a very hard punch, relatively speaking, but it was the equivalent of hitting someone who's just standing there defenseless and not preparing himself to absorb the punch. Solis may have even seen the punch coming but expected it to bounce off his glove. It sneaked its way through. If it weren't for the leg injury I think Solis would've fully cleared his head in between rounds and possibly would've been "woken up" by that punch and fought even better the rest of the way. I don't think the weight is an issue for Solis, at least not at 246. He seemed pretty quick and moved around the ring with ease. He wasn't off-step or lagging behind Vitali. If he could shed a few more pounds perhaps he could be better, but that's speculation at this point. What happened against Vitali was not weight-related.

I do not buy the excuses of Solis. I know what time it is. I know the magic, so I will never be fooled by a fake tragic. Doctors on the payroll will help out a dude. Holla at any person who has even been hurt or was faking hurt. I -- like so many pugilists -- have come into the ring with a damage knee or fracture in the hand or a broken thumb. I fought any darn way and WON! Maybe Solis went into the bout with a bit of damage. SO! Since the dawn of the game that has been happening. And one can fight with an ACL damage in one knee. Forget about planting. IF you have one good legs and two good hands and conjones -- FIGHT! I wish some of you boxing dude come and help me. And even some of you other athletes can holla, especially American footballers. Holla!

mortcola says:

Sorry Radam. I box three days a week; 16 amateur fights; two years of college baseball. 30 years of schoolyard basketball. An ACL strain can be managed. A through and through tear cannot. Nothing holding the tire to the axle. Fall down. Do I respect Solis going in with that injury? No. Do I think he got mildly scrambled by a temple shot? Yes. Do I think it was enough to end the fight? No - that was the ACL and meniscus tear that happened immediately upon Solis freezing after the punch. It is imaginary to think that Solis faked the injury, or that he could have fought through it.

Not sorry, mortcola. I won't talk about my superbad boxing career of being one of the few pugilists who won world amateur titles and world professional ones. I didn't get a chance at including an Olympic gold medal in those titles because my parents shipped my acting-up arse to boring -- I mean boarding -- school in Hong Kong. I still coulda, woulda and shoulda fought in the O Games, but the schoolmaster was a hater of boxing and wouldn't let me out. Anyway! Enough about me. I do my past greatness like my arse keep it behind and let others brag about it. Other people can do that.

I got mad respect and luv for ya, man. You give MAD LUV to fatties and tallies. It is all good. We all we need somebody to luv us. But superhuman can get through a lot jive, even a little ACL tear. Everybody is different. Different strokes for different folks. Bottomline Solis and Doc Vitali K are quitters. A winner never quits, and a quitter never [truthfully] win. The heck with an injuries. There are people who has literally come from the DEAD! Holla at science and da health workers. Superhumans are incredible beasts, mortcola. Maybe you should holla at Youtube or A&E and see some of those superhumans. You are apparently talking from a typical person point of view. I've seem athletes, myself included, perform to da max with ACL tears and other injuries.

Hey! Whaddup! Yall athletes out there. Help a dude out. Yall know what tyme it is. Superhuman athletes and combatants will kick arse with a bullet shot in their heads, guts, nuts or butts. The late "Big Cat" Cleveland Williams was shot-gutted. The docs told him that his career was finished. But da sucka fought for 15 years after that. And took his arse thrashing from GOAT Muhammad Ali like a MAN! A TSS scribe spitted some copy about a wounded lionheart pugilist not too long ago. C'mon, mortcola, you are an apologist for the disgrace and slow pace of boxing, and you don't have to be. I moving on from this subject. Holla!

mortcola says:

Oooh, your love hurts, Radam. Not sure I can take it. As for your cruel assessment of me, I guess my love of Hagler, Holyfield, Frazier, Ali, Quarry, don't count. I love intelligence and adaptibility in boxing as much as I like single-minded heroics, though. And I still say you're puffin' the magic draggin if you think ANYONE can perform on an actually popped ACL. But your poetry wouldn't be so much fun if you wasted time makin' sense and dealin' with facts. Keep on being you, my friend. Leave the analysis to your brothers here.