Maidana, Morales, Winky, Guerrero, Katsidis Tix Info

BY The Sweet Science ON February 16, 2011

LOS ANGELES, February 16 - In what promises to be an explosive night of fights featuring six all-action boxing heroes, on Saturday, April 9 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nev., five-time and three-division World Champion Erik "El Terrible" Morales (51-6, 35 KOs) returns to the pugilistic forefront when he faces power-punching Argentinean Marcos "El Chino" Maidana (29-2, 27 KOs) in a classic battle for pride, honor and glory.  Also featured will be former Undisputed Junior Middleweight World Champion and future Hall of Famer Winky Wright (51-5-1, 25 KOs) returning to the ring to face exciting European Champion Matthew Macklin (28-2, 19 KOs) in a classic crossroads battle.  The event will also showcase what promises to be a slugfest between former World Champions Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero (28-1-1, 18 KOs) and Michael Katsidis "The Great" (27-3, 22 KOs).

Tickets for "Action Heroes" priced at $350, $250, $150, $75, $50 and $25, go on sale Tomorrow, Thursday, Feb. 17 at 10:00 a.m. PT.  To charge by phone with a major credit card, call Ticketmaster at (800) 745-3000.  Tickets also are available for purchase at www.mgmgrand.com or www.ticketmaster.com.

"Action Heroes" featuring Morales vs. Maidana in a 12-round junior welterweight bout, Wright vs. Macklin in a 10-round super middleweight fight and Guerrero vs. Katsidis in a 12-round lightweight battle is presented by Golden Boy Promotions in association with Erik Morales' Box Latino and sponsored by Cerveza Tecate, DeWalt Tools and Tres Generaciones.  Wright vs. Macklin is presented in association with Winky Promotions and Guerrero vs. Katsidis is presented in association with Sampson Boxing.  The bouts will be produced and distributed live on HBO Pay-Per-View® beginning at 9:00 p.m. ET/6:00 p.m. PT.

The fighters will host a press conference Tuesday, Feb. 22 in Los Angeles to formally announce the upcoming pay-per-view event.  For more information, visit www.goldenboypromotions.com, on Twitter at www.twitter.com/GoldenBoyBoxing, www.twitter.com/boxlatino, www.twitter.com/TeamGuerrero or become a fan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/GoldenBoyBoxing.

Erik Morales is one brave dude. This dude is challenging a straight-up killa. While this bout lasts, it is gonna be a thrilla, chilla and a blood spilla. BIG salutes to Morales. He has some real big cojones to even dream about a challenge like this. Maybe he knows something that most of us don't. Because Marcos Maidana could hurt him very, very badly. Holla!

Isaiah says:

Man, if only Erik Morales was 10 years younger. He'd run over someone like Maidana before 7 rounds was up. Now... I'd have to put Maidana as a slight favourite to win. Anyone want to take those odds? The beatings he got from Pacquiao, Zahir Raheem and wasn't it, Alfonso Gomez?... sure seemed to finish "El Terrible" even though he's still seems to be good enough to whoop up on fringe contenders in his comeback. I'm also very curious to see how much the once great Winky Wright can do in a solid matchup all this time later after getting outworked and outboxed by Paul Williams. Can Winky still put to shame a live opponent like he did to Tito Trinidad years back? How about Winky drop back down to junior middle and face a retired living legend? Paging Oscar De La Hoya... The Guerrero and Katsidis matchup seems to be a tossup but I'm thinking Robert still has enough to knock the Aussie out. Man! This is a great card! Keep it up boxing promoters! Give us our money's worth!

Interesting undercard but I aint buying. Morales has no business in the same ring at this stage with a puncher like Maidana. What fights has he won to get this shot? Give me a F***ing break! PPV? You would have to pay ME to watch this main event.

a young Morales would run circles around Maidana. but a bloated overaged version is about to get a rude awakening. I read somewhere that Morales turned down Peters after watching the tape... he literally jumped out of the frying pan into the fire.. Hey Roast whose corner are you working these days... you got all these great ring shots?

Brownsugar, all Roast in ring photos appear courtesy of the Chicago Golden Gloves Finals, since 1923. I have never worked a corner but I'd be happy to help out a local kid. Finals tickets are on sale now for all the Chicago peeps out there. I almost always have an extra ringside seat come fight night. I always say, support your hometown Golden Gloves. Where else can you sit ringside for 50 bucks? At the end of the night the Roast climbs in to salute the adoring fans!

cool,.. hey next time leave an advance notice like 2 weeks ahead of time. I'm sure some TSS alumni would like to attend... not that we want to meet your slobbering arse of course... (lol)

Finals arent until Friday night April 8th. So far I got 10 guys going. At the last minute at least one will pull out. I will put out the call if anyone from the TSS wants to go, they can meet me there. Take a road trip B-Sug! Your ticket is on me baby!!

Thanks Bro,.. sounds like an exciting endeavor. and the calendar looks empty. I'll let you know the even gets a bit closer.

If you and Brownsugar jr want to take a road trip I'll have two tickets waiting for you. I gotta get a head count from my buddies so I wont order the tics for a a month or so. The Sug and the Roast meeting up in real life would be truly epic.

Latest Articles