Twitter Hitter Berto Scores TKO Win Over Mosley

BY Michael Woods ON January 09, 2011

Have the contracts been signed, sealed, notarized, and  delivered? Is there any wiggle room? Could Sugar Shane Mosley still wriggle from from his May date with Manny Pacquiao? Because by the looks of the Twitter beef he's having with Andre Berto, these two dudes have a score to settle, and if an in-the-flesh throwdown has half the action of their online battle, fight fans would be the beneficiaries.

Berto, the WBC welterweight champion, seemingly got the scuffle started on Saturday night, when still smarting from the Colts' loss to the Jets in the AFC wild card game, he tossed a jab at SSM.

"Still mad," he wrote to his Tweeple, and then promised he'd go to the bathroom and look at a "pic of this old man." "This old man" was a doctored picture of Mosley, looking as ancient as Red Foxx on Sanford and Son.

"Don't get mad at me because your team got knock off like you would lol," Mosley replied, and the Twit hits started to fly.

"Look at this pic closely by time i finish wit u this pic will be a reality," Berto responded.

Mosley, who will contend for the WBO welterweight crown on May 7,  scored the first solid toss, when he wrote, "By the time you fight anybody of note we will all be the old!!!!!!"

Berto returned fire. "U already old that's why u want to fold," he wrote.

Of course, followers of both fighters jumped into the fray, making it more like a WWE clustereff than a snap-swap with Queensberry rules.

Ant_robinson tagged in, and ripped off this suplex of words: "By the time March rolls around @SugarShaneM will have fought in 2 superfights while @andreberto is getting ready to fight a 36y/o gatekeeper."

That reference was to the rumored Berto-Randall Bailey scuffle, which Berto shot down subsequently.

Ballbusta258  got into the act, and set this one up for Mosley on a tee: "@sugarshanem is still the man.. Who berto beat... ?" he wrote. "Himself," Mosley Tweeted.

Antonio Tarver even popped up, to referee. He was assured by all that it was all in good fun.

The action continued on Sunday.

"Listen next game I'll put up 100k and u just put up your retirement pitchen let's go," Berto wrote. Mosley was ready with a hook. "Berto Berto you know I make way more money than you that would't be fair. keep your little Money i good. LOL," he Tweeted.

Berto got his share of scoring blows, though. "Lol this twitter battle is alot more entertaining then that @SugarShaneM vs Mora fight and that mess was on PPV..SMH..REFUND PLEASE!!!!!" he said.

He elevated the nature of the ribbing, I'd say, when he referenced Mosley's "old lady." His followup was even more pointed. "Let me ask u a serious question are u still juicing up? 'I mean on the roids? It's just me and u talking nobody will know."

When Mosley didn't answer immediately, Berto wrote, "*Crickets* Awww I guess that's a touchy subject hu.. Shane just do like Margartio say u didn't know. We'll all believe u lol."

Mosley chose the high road, and said he'd finish up after watching some football, and recovering from the "low blow."

Berto exulted. "Lol ok people it seems team @SugarShaneM has waved the white flag.. Win for #TeamBerto.. I hope everybody enjoyed it.. Have a beautiful day," he wrote.

This is a brand new world, in case you didn't know. Rivalries can get started virtually, between oceans. It can get ugly quickly, because as anyone who spends time online knows, people will say things on the computer they'd never dare utter in person.

I scored this one for Berto. Mosley started strong, and used his experience, and his "cornermen" to his advantage. But when Berto concentrated, and upped his game, and got more intense, he closed the show. Might that be the way it played out if these two went at it for real?

Oh yeah, follow me on Twitter. It's one of my new year's resolutions, to get a bit more onboard with some of the new media. My tag is @Woodsy1069. But be aware sometimes my political passion gets the better of me, and I share some of my Olbermannish views, so if that isn't your thing, steer clear.

this is an embarrassment to all of humanity that berto is this immature, dramatic and disrespectful. berto has yet to even fight anyone of signifigance. he has no right to talk smack to a hall of famer like mosley who has fought all comers. berto got touched up by a past prime collazo, in fact many people had berto losing that fight. berto is a disrespectful punk kid who ducked mosley.. ya we know u lost distant cousins in haiti, but so you cant go back to work 3 months later???? uhhhh, in this society you get 3 days off from work for losing a grandparent.....you cant take 3 months off let alone for cousins...berto is a biiiiitch, he ducked shane and he ducks fighting anyone not a bum. bertos 1-2-hold combination will not get him very far...and slick he is not, especially for a black fighter...

This is just the way that the game rolls. Smack talk came in with John L. Sullivan, the first Queenberry Rule's heavyweight champion. What Berto is spittin' is very, very mild compared to what ole Johnny Boy use to do. And come down in history and holla at Jack Johnson, Jack Dempsey, Max Baer, Jake LaMotta, Kid Benny Paret, who died after a bout with Emile Griffin, who he kept smack talking about being transsexual. GOAT Ali gets all the credit for being the master-smack talka,' but he was not the originator. Smack talk is, and always has been, just as much as a part of pugilism as bitter lemons are a part of lemonaide. That is what this game is about. Making something that's bitter into something that's sweet. Just stay away from the koolaide, lol. This is the Sweet Science. Berto and the Sugarman are getting their cyberspace sweetness on! Yall GO, BOYS! Use that technologeeee [sic] to get those fans and fanfaronades. Ain't hatin.' Much luv fo' YA.' CHINK! CHINK! Those butts will eventually be in those seats and will be droppin' that MOOLA to get their WATCH ON at fight time. Holla!

Isaiah says:

Berto is a dissrespectful little punk! Who has Berto fought to be able to run his mouth like that?! Mosley has taken on Miguel Cotto, Ricardo Mayorga, Antonio Margarito, Floyd Mayweather, Sergio Mora and soon to be, Manny Pacquiao in his last 6 fights! Before Cotto, it was Luis Collazo. How about we compare Mosley and Berto performances against Collazo, shall we? Hmmm, not a fair comparision? Okay, anyone on Berto's list of opponents compare to a Ricardo Mayorga, much less, Miguel Cotto, Antonio Margarito or dare we even say, Floyd Mayweather or Manny Pacquiao! Mosley wins no matter how you slice it. Berto's list of opponents is mush compared to Mosley's list of MUSCLE. Also, Mosley handled this situation perfectly. You don't keep on talking to a dissrespectful punk like that who's just running his mouth. You think you're worthy Berto?! Don't act like a FLOMO! It isn't about being undefeated! Step your game up and prove your worth! How come Luis Collazo never got a rematch? Shane Mosley could beat him beyond a doubt but you got smacked around by him and you have the audacity to mouth off to the future hall of famer?! Whatever man!

Robert Curtis says:

Don't want to be a b!tcher and moaner, but I'm struggling with the new site. Did EM just need a break from the grind? Did you, EM? I know some folks's IDs were getting hijacked, especially Radam's, but was this the way to go? Everytime I post, I feel like I have to go through the TSA at LAX or I'm getting processed into County jail. I'll calm down and adjust, I promise, but it's an adjustment.

C'mon, Bobby C! Don't be metathesiophobic! Everything must change. Change is good. The more you do it, the more tolerant you will build up. A bit of Pinoy coconut wine will settle you down, lmao! Adjustment will stick you harder than Larry "So Contrary" Holmes's left jab. That sucka better call the GOAT Ali and wish him happy birthday on January 15. Big [Rev.] George Foreman b-day was on January 10. Old Smokin' Joe's b-day will be on January 22, I believe. Maybe Mosley and Berto should entertain some good old homemade Pinoy coconut wine. It'd deaden the pain that the both will get from gettin' da Manny thrashing. The Sugarman is going to get punched in the gut and knocked on his butt. YUP! He has an iron chin, but a soft belly. Da Manny's punches will be hitting him like shots from Machine Gun Kelly. Holla!

This is just sad... and pointless... as if Shane would possibly give up the biggest EVENT of his lifetime to engage Berto. Berto should be focusing on his next dance partner, Mosley is effectively spoken for untill at least September or October (win or lose he'll need 3-6 months to recover from Pacman) 2 men behaving like twits on twitter and folks eat it up like 2 girls pulling each others hair on the playground at recess. Berto had his opportunity,..But went to Haiti instead,... wouldn't it have been better if he fought Shane and donated part of his purse to the cause... would have certainly been a lot more helpful than stacking up sand bag..He could have set his folks up for life (finacially). I thought I liked Berto but his tweets are displaying too much information about his character and lack of leadership...he talks like a man giving the people what he thinks they want instead of being his own man..... Could you imagine Roberto Duran on twitter during his prime?? he would have had folks filling restraining orders and hiring extra bodyguards....Berto needs to Hire TSS comedian and poster extraordiare Rob C. if he's truly wants to make an online impact. But Mayweather he is not,..nor should he want to be....(Rob said posting on the TSS is like being processed into the workhouse,.......priceless LOL)

Editor Mike says:

Workhouse...is that jail? Been awhile since I've been through the system, maybe the terminology has changed. LOL

MisterLee says:

Yoyo, who cares, mosley whooped collazo, and collazo spanked berto, and where's the rematch? We can all admit it was one of the most entertaining fights in 2009, i still bust that baby out from time to time b/c it was a gem. berto wants no part of collazo. but i do admit, berto been looking pretty fine in his last 2-3 outings, i can't wait until he fights a few big/good fights at 147/154. i'd even watch a berto cintron fight, and despite the height advantage, i think berto would do well agst williams, berto williams would def. be an excellent fight. Holler!

Collazo? Isn't that the guy who almost beat Ricky Hatton like, three years ago? I saw his tattoed mug on the side of a milk carton recently.

They're known as workhouses in my town now.. it's was 16 years ago since I was there and I only spent 56hours 32minutes and 12 seconds but I'll never forget the experience... not enough toilet paper... toilets with no partitions,... watered down oatmeal... and the insufferable companionship of 16 to 32 inmates to a dorm.... hard to keep a grip on your dignity and sanity in a place like that.. but you will. Have never allowed myself to be put in a postion to have my liberty deprived since... I don't know whether to tip my hat or just pity those who like to frequent such places... I'll refrain from passing judgement... but it's not for the regular guy. ******* back to Berto,.. he'd make a huge impression on me if he'd take Paul Williams,.. Cintron,.. even Margarito,... if he's baiting Shane,.. surely he's ready for any of those guys... or how about Mike Jones?? Now Berto says that Jones didn't look good enough in his last fight to warrant a shot . But I have a problem with that. Would Berto really have fought him if Jones had KO'd that guy in the first round? (looking great doing it) or would he be more comfortable fighting the Jones who punched himself out in the second round and went on to struggle for the remaining fight??...just sayin..

EM.....They're known as workhouses in my town now.. it's was 16 years ago since I was there and I only spent 56hours 32minutes and 12 seconds but I'll never forget the experience... not enough toilet paper... toilets with no partitions,... watered down oatmeal(and no cinnimon)... and the insufferable companionship of 16 to 32 inmates to a dorm.... hard to keep a grip on your dignity in a place like that.. but you will. Have never allowed myself to be put in a postion to have my liberty deprived since... I don't know whether to tip my hat or just pity those who like to frequent such places... I'll refrain from passing judgement... but it's not for the regular guy. ******* back to Berto,.. he'd make a huge impression on me if he'd take Paul Williams,.. Cintron,.. even Margarito,... if he's baiting Shane,.. surely he's ready for any of those guys... or how about Mike Jones?? Now Berto says that Jones didn't look good enough in his last fight to warrant a shot . But I have a problem with that. Would Berto really have fought him if Jones had KO'd that guy in the first round? (looking great doing it) or would he be more comfortable fighting the Jones who punched himself out in the second round and went on to struggle for the remaining fight??...just sayin..

Editor Mike says:

META what?? Pls don't make me cut, paste to a dictionary!

Editor Mike says:

Hmm, good column idea. Duran on TWITTER! LOL.

Editor Mike says:

He's been having personal issues. Shame, he has talent.

Editor Mike says:

Boxing's a funny sport. A loss can get you more work. A win can make you less marketable, if you looked too good. Or, you can win, and then your ego gets overinflated, you think you are "worth" more than you are....Funny sport.

Funny how like a clown? I'm here to amuse you like a clown? How is it funny? How the F*%k is it funny!!

Editor Mike says:

I just messed meself. Please don't bash me, toss me in a trunk, hear me moving, and gut me like a deer sir

Latest Articles