Trainer Sanchez Says Now Is the Time For the Top Guns Like Cotto To Accept Golovkin Challenge

BY Michael Woods ON August 22, 2014

Abel-Sanchez

So, we have a date for the next installment of the Release the Golovkin! Franchise.

On October 18 in Los Angeles, the fighting pride of Kazakhstan, the good boy with the badarse fists, Gennady Golovkin, will meet vet Marco Antonio Rubio.

Me, I think Rubio gets dropped and stopped before the fight reaches a midway point, as I think Triple G has elevated his game, mainly stemming from the confidence that comes from the seasoning gained against the slightly higher caliber of boxers he has dealt with in the last 16 months or so.

I checked in with Golovkin trainer Honest Abel Sanchez, to get his take on what Rubio brings to the table, and other matters Golovkin.

“According to some people, Rubio has a chance of “exposing the hype,” Sanchez said. The 34-year-old Mexican has a 59-6-1 (51 KOs) record, and has won six straight, against sub A level foes, since his UD12 loss to Julio Cesar Chavez Jr in February 2012. I stifled my chuckle, and Sanchez continued. “I hope that once he becomes another ‘good boy’ Gennady gets some credit. Unfortunately, to some he is a tough challenge before the fight and a bum after.”

It would be exceedingly disrespectful to term the man a bum, I wouldn’t go there. But he’s come up short in title cracks to Kelly Pavlik (2009) and Junior. His best wins, over David Lemieux (2011) and against Domenico Spada a few months ago, stand out for the fact that neither man is anything like a Golovkin. But I don’t find an ounce of fault in this match being made, and any frustration I feel is directed at some folks who could and arguably should be calling out Golovkin, challenging him in a test of supremacy. Sanchez feels the same way. “What needs to be done is the questioning of the so-called top guns, and they should be asked, ‘Have you been offered the fight with Gennady, or have you made an offer to fight Gennady?’ We’d see what the answers are, and we will see how many really want the fight!”

Those top guns include Floyd Mayweather, Miguel Cotto and Canelo Alvarez, and I don’t disagree an iota with Sanchez.

“So we just have to stay busy and whomever will accept and keep building up bigger demand from the fans,” he said.

And what about an Andre Ward?

“Ward would be a very difficult negotiation,” he said. I take that to mean Team Golovkin gets it and accepts that Floyd, Cotto and Canelo are A side draws, and would negotiate accordingly, while Ward isn't an A side draw, but doesn't accept that status, and thus, negotiations would bog down before getting started...There are those folks, though, who think Team Golovkin has excessive respect for Ward's ring acumen, and are not inclined to let Triple G's gaudy record get tainted by Ward, whose punch 'n clinch style represents a poor risk-reward ratio.

I shifted to Rubio. Does he present any particular problem?

Sanchez was stumped. He thought…and pondered. “Um, experience? I mean, I can try and BS you on how difficult this fight will be, but I have been saying for several years what a special fighter Gennady is, so why say something different? I just hope Rubio is a man of his word, and makes it a fight!”

Prediction please. “It will depend on Rubio,” the trainer said. “I see Rubio trying to survive after feeling the first meaningful shot. Triple G is on a roll, once he gets distance and figures out your timing, nobody at middleweight survives long.”

Presumably, that includes Miguel Cotto…

“You have to think Golovkin’s name will come up when Miguel begins opponent discussions, because Cotto is the so-called lineal middleweight champion. And if not, Cotto needs to answer why not, at least make Golovkin an offer, maybe we can turn it down, or maybe not.”

New York Tony says:

Cotto's a good fighter but he's no middleweight, proven by his wanting to take on Tim Bradley at some catchweight. There more and more articles on this, like at ESB and Boxing.com. He's got exactly zero chance against Golovkin and will vacate his WBC rather than fight him. Cotto at middleweight is a fluke that won't last long.

OMG! Don't make me puke. It is not a fluke. He won the belt , no doubt. Most people were saying that Martinez was going to knock him out. Holla!

Froggy says:

Fluke or no fluke, and I thought Cotto would be stopped by Martinez also, I will be shocked if Cotto stays ay 160 !

King Beef says:

I don't think Freddy will let Cotto anywhere near GGG, although I would love to see that fight. Cotto is definitely game bred, but too many too many tough fights at this point.

stormcentre says:

Pretty much spot on KB.

You can tell from previous interviews with Freddie, and the way he pretends to not know who 3G is (when he has owned several guys azz from/in his own gym) that he understands the risk to any welterweight and/or light middleweight.

The only way Roach considers it is at a catchweight that hurts Golovkin.

Still, despite what Sanchez says there are plenty of guys for Golovkin to fight, even some that have mentioned his name.

For instance Hopkins has. But Bernard knows when a guy tries to read his rhythm and timing and how to prevent it.

Take that away from Gennady and there goes hit power hitting style. Since I know that, I assume Abel also does.

Froch has just had a fight fall through, so he would be available.

I am not sure Ward (or should we say GTP) - now that the legalities of his career are clear (hey that rhymes) - would be that difficult in negotiations.

Furthermore, the fight may appeal to Dan for a variety of reasons; aside from the fact GTP don't currently seem to have another statesman fighter in their stable.

Andre Dirrell has been calling out 3G.

Korobov is another decent fight.

See the trend here?

If you're a seriously competent legitimate middleweight (not light middleweight or really a welterweight with a light middleweight title {as Cotto is}) or super middleweight; K2 and it's associates to appear to have behavioural patterns that are similar to someone shying away from any opponent other than those that may present Gennady with an advantage.

No hating.

I love Gennady and appreciate he is awesome.

But he (and Abel) too have the option of stepping it up and exploring the real challenges and offers.

Peace.

The Shadow says:

Pretty much spot on KB.

The only way Roach considers it is at a catchweight that hurts Golovkin.

Froch has just had a fight fall through, so he would be available.

Andre Dirrell has been calling out 3G.

Korobov is another decent fight.

See the trend here?

No hating.

I love Gennady and appreciate he is awesome.

Peace.

Preach, brother. If they really wanted some challenges they don't have to look too far. But they're playing the game and they're playing it well.

stormcentre says:

Actually, Clottley (a natural welterweight) recently fought at light middleweight; so Gennady Golovkin and his managers - at least weight wise - would probably see him as a reasonable fit.

There’s very little quit or give in that man (check his performance against Cotto to recap if you must).

He has sound technique, excellent experience, a great defence, he’s also durable, and he has a very good set of whiskas.

I’d pay to see that.

Anyone that gives the Grandmaster 3 months to prepare at welterweight and/or light middleweight (if Clottley agrees to the weight), and still blasts him out of there before 10 rounds; is doing well.

I think my money would still be on 3G though.

Anyway, if Joshua is still under contract to TR, perhaps Sanchez or K2 could make an offer in that direction; or vice versa.

stormcentre says:

I’d pay to see that.

I think my money would still be on 3G though.

Latest Articles