Chris Algieri on Newfound Star-Status and The Charge Nov. 22 is a "PPV Ripoff"

BY Michael Woods ON August 21, 2014

Chris-Algieri

Happens all the time. Person who wants to be a star, get to that promised land where folks are at your beckon call, where the worries melt away because the pitfalls which snag the common man no longer apply, are nullified because of the status your newfound celebrity now accords.

Ample money, respect afforded to you 24-7, tables are restaurants held for you, and patrons sitting there are rudely and promptly dislodged in order to make room for you.

Person attains stardom…and then, shockingly, finds that some of the pitfalls have melted away, but lo and behold, new ones have mushroomed.

Chris Algieri, the Huntington Heartthrob is there now. That belt around his waist, the WBO junior welterweight title, is a testament to the fact that he is arrived at the promised land for boxers. Oh, and the number of zeros on his next paycheck, the one he will cash for fighting Manny Pacquiao in Macau on Nov. 22, and on pay-per-view, that helps cement the notion that he resides in a new space. But, I asked the Long Islander as he readied his suitcases for the 17 or so hour of air travel to make the Monday press conference in Macau, where he and Pacquiao will be present to help in the hype process, has reaching this plot of promised land been all it has been cracked up to be?

Is it all good, and when inevitable annoyances pop up, are they immediately shoved aside, with an excess of good natured tolerance displayed…or are these newfound annoyances like zits on an adolescent, prone to popping up with disturbing regularity, and immune to immediate minimization?

“It’s both,” said the 30-year-old boxer, who started out as a kickboxer, and turned pro as a pugilist in 2008. He said that he is looking forward to the trek to Macau, and touching down in Taipei, before completing the second leg to the new fightgame mecca, as constructed by Top Rank promotional wizard Bob Arum. Algieri hit Europe and saw the sites, and got his world-view some seasoning, as a late teen, so he’s had the travel bug. “And this is what happens when you’re a 'star,' he stated. “It comes with the territory. And I’m prepared for it. It’s what I’ve wanted, and it is what it is.”

Now, it isn’t to say that Algieri (20-0, with 8 knockouts) has found all the shifts in his existence since he took that strap from Ruslan Provodnikov on June 14 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn and on HBO to be nothing but smooth. The cameras, they are now everywhere. HBO has been filming him for weeks for 24/7, he said, and there is media at every single workout. For a guy who describes himself as a “homebody,” this new phase in life is taking some getting used to.

“It’s so constant,” he said. “That’s the most aggravating part. And I can’t go out like I used to, even in my neighborhood. Even running in my neighborhood….There’s no place to hide.”

So far, he said, the HBO cameras haven’t caught him or any of his family or extended crew doing anything untoward, or embarrassing, or the like. “I told them, ‘Be yourself.’ I think there could be a new star, though. My grandmother is funny, and so sharp.” Anne Algieri has seen a bunch of decades fade into her rear view mirror, but her mind is keen. “They interviewed her, put her on the spot, and her answer was so good, good stuff. She talked about watching my fights, and how she knew I was a smart fighter right away. Her favorite fighter was Joe Louis.”

But while grandma is an immense fan, not everyone else is. I told Algieri about the article I just read, which called the Nov. 22 scrap a “Pay Per View Ripoff,” and described the Long Islander as a pillow fisted sort who is most adept at avoiding contact. He chuckled as I relayed this. But, I wondered, after you read a few of these, don’t you feel like lashing out? Does anger build, and don’t you want to shout out that you deserve some respect?

“It hasn’t gotten to that point yet,” he said. “I’m smiling even as you’re reading that. The people that write that, they have no idea who I am. If they write that, they don’t know me.”

The boxer told me that Team Pacquiao were the ones pushing for the bout to be contested at 144 pounds or less, and actually, he’d love for the event to be signed for 147 pounds, a true welterweight contest, because he respects the original division. “I’m a purist,” he told me. “That is the real weight class, for a real title. They wanted it, it’s not on me. I’ve always wanted to be a welterweight champion.” 140, 144, 147, wherever it is contested, he aims to give Pacquiao the same type of problems, he says.

I also asked for an update on the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. He put a challenge out to Pacman on August 20. Has the Congressman taken the baton, and taken a chilly bath for charity? “Not that I’ve seen,” Algieri said. Hmmm, might there be an opportunity to force Manny’s hand? Wouldn’t it be something, I said, not intending to be a provocateur, or not a malevolent one, anyway, if you filled up a Gatorade bucket with ice and doused Manny in Macau, at the presser on Monday?

“Absolutely not,” said Algieri, chuckling heartily at the thought. “That would aggravate me if someone did that to me! I’d be furious.”

Another hmmm…no one ever gets under Manny’s skin, I thought aloud…wouldn’t it be interesting to see him get rattled and annoyed?

“Nah,” Algieri said, “I expect us to have a humble and refreshing press conference Monday. Although I’m guessing maybe the trainers will have their say.” His guy Tim Lane, he told me, will be able to match Freddie Roach if Dedham Freddie wants to talk trash. “We may have to pull Tim back. He can unload!”

The boxer leaves for Macau tonight. The Macau presser is Monday, and Tuesday there is another one in Shanghai. He flies to LA on Wednesday and does press on the West Coast, whereupon he comes back to NY for a media presser in Manhattan on Thursday, Sept. 4. By that time, maybe the Ice Bucket Challenge will have run its course as a web fad, and, perhaps, a few more people will be convinced that the New Yorker could indeed prove a stiff test for a guy who hasn’t scored a stoppage since 2009, one with almost 36-year-old legs.

MCM says:

Algieri is an interesting fighter. It's great to see him interviewed here.

He has always impressed with his poise and intelligence. His comments in the ring following the Provodnikov fight were candid and his analysis seemed spot on. What was your overall sense of him, talking to him in person?

The Commish says:

Algieri is an interesting fighter. It's great to see him interviewed here.

That wasn't my article on Algieri, but I can tell you, as a Long Islander, as a member of the media and a friend of Chris Algieri, that he is every bit the gentleman he seems to be, and every bit of the warrior you saw against Ruslan Provodnikov.

To many, Algieri is not an entertaining fighter, because he is constantly on the move behind a pesky jab and two very quick hands. Those who don't like his style also find Guillermo Rigondeaux tough to watch.

Both in and out of the ring, Algieri knows what he's doing. He has a quick wit and a tremendous sense of humor to go with it. He answers questions honestly and to the point. He is loyal to a fault. Most of those who are with him now have been with him since his days as a kickboxer. They'll be in his corner in Macau, China, when he faces future Hall-of-Famer Manny Pacquiao.

I know I am in this boat virtually all alone, but I truly believe Algieri will outbox--and outpoint--Manny Pacquiao, when the two meet on November 22.

-Randy G.

Hey, Commish! It is a hole in your boat. And it is sinking. No hate about what you are hoping and thinking. Big Screen "Rocky" to C-Al, a lot of AmerKanos are linking. They have even hollered at Sylvester Stallone, and are trying to brided-up paid him to take a trip to Macau and possibly be in C-Al's corner. [FTR, Sylvester Stallone managed (Asian-African American) Aaron "Hawk Time" Pryor for a minute.)

C-Al is a scholar and gentleman, and all of that. So Da Manny is going to save punishing of C-Al, show a bit of mercy and put him to sleep early. In round five, I predict, because C-Al is going be bunny jumping, and rabbit hopping around and jive. Then all at once, he's going to be a deer caught in the headlights. KaPOW! KaBOOM! "Down goes American Bambi! Down goes American Bambi!

"Down goes American Bambi! Ain't no shame in his game. He will now be going to medical school. Gentleman-and-scholar Chris made plently of money for that and more."

Nothing but love for Chris. But the optical illusion of him beating everlast and bionic ought to double HALT! He's undefeated in Kickboxing with a *. And boxing too. No fault of his own, but some AmerKanos have made C-Al the biggest "Tar Baby" -- something from which is nearly impossible to extricate oneself -- in over a hundred years since they did it to James Jeffries. J-Jeff, himself, was also undefeated with an *. C-Al has an * in Kickboxing and in boxing. In Kickboxing, he got KTFO in team competition http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7aHx5wzIn0 and in pro boxing, we know what happening to him against tSR. Now to China, Team C-Al wanna bring Big Screen Rocky. WITFF?

C-Al is not rolling up in China and whuppin' up on an Asian Chinese Filipino. If C-Al can win, he will not be robbed. But it is no way, that he will not KTFO lay [$¡¢]. Holla!

The Commish says:

KTFO'd? He sure did get KRFO'd. But that was nothing compared to the face-down nap Da' Manny took just two years ago.

I recognize Pacquiao as an all-time great, a lock to make the Hall-of-Fame on his first year of eligibility. However, he's not getting any younger...or faster...or more skillful...or better...or stronger. He will be outreached in this fight by a quick and skillful boxer.

Pacquiao is a great fighter. On November 22, there may still be plenty of greatness left inside of him. If that's the case, he'll beat Algieri and just about anybody on the other side of the ring from him.

But ifr he's slipping, we'll know it early in the fight. In that case, it will be a long night.

A long one for Manny Pacquiao.

-Randy G.

UrSuperHero says:

why does chris deserve this ? why isnt he rematching pod? why he thinks he can punch an bs the public is shamefull.. he cant punch. why is this ppv ? thers no way in hell this fight is going to be exciting.. chris couldnt tie the shoes of any pac oponent cept rios.. clottey smashes this dude worse than manny will..

[QUOTE=The Commish;61925]That loss in kickboxing was years ago. Chris Algieri did not have anywhere near the training, conditioning, skill or knowledge that he has now.

A long one for Manny Pacquiao.

-Randy G.[/QUOTE]

That "KTFO'd" was C-Al fibbing and hiding his. Ev'ybodee and dey momma know Da Manny has been KTFO face down TWICE and once to the belly. It comes with the territory. But C-Al and his supporters, protectors and bodyguards surrounding the lies and myths of C-Al being a clearcut undefeated kickboxer/boxer have been trying to hide and push reality of the actuality to the side.

And if they keep fibbing, I can come up with a double "face down nap" of C-Al "just two years ago." Dude should know that cameras have been on him in every gym that he has been in in the last 10 years.

Wow! You really love your homeboy. I can respect that. And I will not be the one releasing footage -- anymore -- of him stumbling, tumbling or super napping. No jive! I can come up with the reel of the real. But Imma stand back and hide in plain sight and let promotion does what it does -- hide damaging stuff. And let the damaged come up with bluff after bluff how he's going to be so tough and rough. And is gonna upset the world twice. And next year take down Money May. Okay!

But this is what Da Manny is planning in Macau [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90y8vSjQNNI. Translation = sleep face down not, but to assure that will likely be the position of C-Al -- a now rich C-Al. Holla!

The PPV is indeed a ripoff for the U.S. mainlanders. C-Al is very confused. What Algieri speed is he talking about that is going to surprise Da Manny? C-Al is dealing with a true speed merchant that is quite uncanny. [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqGRIT8WV7o

Sorry C-Al! There will be no surprises about you. Your arse is the one who is "hecky-jecky." And you are speaking very murky. You are going to turn out to be one-easy-to-beat turkey.

You talk about your RANGE. WOW! You're quite strange! You are easy to reach. "Imma beat Manny! Imma beat Manny!" That is all you preach. The PacMan's shots are to be biting bunny-hopping, jittering C-Al like a shark attack near the beach. Holla!

oubobcat says:

Personally, I see Algieri putting up a better effort than most people think and this fight being more entertaining than most believe it will be as well. Pacquiao is a much different fighter than Provodnikov and Algieiri will not fight in that exact same manner he did against Provodnikov as he will against Pacquiao.

All that said, its very hard for me to envision Algieiri getting his hand raised here. Pacquiao is just too skilled and too quick for him. He will beat Algieiri to the punch frequently and easily counter the slower Algieiri as well. But Algieiri will have his moments as Pacquaio is not the fighter he once was in this sport.

I think this will be one of those fights where Algieiri loses but ultimately gains in the loss. He performs better than expected and is more entertaining that most predicted in this fight. He raises his credentials in the sport and his ranking in the division in spite of losing the fight.

Skibbz says:

It's easy for him to squeeze into a 140 frame at 5'10 because he loves to run. I wouldn't be surprised if he managed to make 135 or even 130, just stick him on a treadmill and watch him run to his heart's content. I think it can be argued that as much as Rios loves treacle in his brain, Algieri loves the feeling of running.

But, against foes without the ability to cut off the ring effectively, against foes who are experienced against fast moving negative runners, he will fall. He can not take a championship punch, that much we know and are sure of. When Pacquiao's gloves are firing toward his face and vital organs in 8-10 punch combinations, those earmuffs won't be able to save him. His legs will provide relief for a few steps but the master of the dance will be one of the greatest pugilists of our generation and in the sport's history.

[QUOTE=Skibbz;61962]The difference between Rigondeaux and Algieri is hard to quantify, the number required is simply too large and bordering on the abstract and imaginary. Where Rigondeaux uses his smarts, Algieri uses his legs. Where Rigondeaux uses a vast arsenal of punches, Algieri shows off a few, albeit 'well' practiced, combinations that most fighters can use after several years in good gyms - ultimately, where Rigondeaux decides to fight, Algieri decides to take flight.

If you are so confident in Algieri's victory over Pacquiao, surely it's time to bet the house and get minted? I'm not aware of the odds on Algieri... But I am sure you will make a sizable return.. I wouldn't do it, I don't believe Algieri has the minerals to compete with Manny Pacquiao, but if you are so certain then it's time to win with your man.[/QUOTE]

Skibbz... You are a beast

I don't mind Algieri getting his personal slice of prime time attention and fame. There are many ways to get there....through achievement, controversy, becoming a villain, or by simply not having a shred of shame.
But Algieri earned his spot in the limelight honestly.... He's not someone I spend much time thinking about ...but he seems like the type of person whom if I knew personally , I'd probably invest my time supporting his cause.
Chris earned his fame honestly and deserves ever precious moment of it.
But keeping it is another matter entirely.
He masks his inexperience by moving so much his opponents are barely able to catch up to him to check his credentials.
If they have the stamina to keep up with the fleet footed roadster he may whip it out to let them get a peek but he flips it back into his vest pocket too quickly for his competition to check its authenticity.
This will not present a problem for Pacquioa.
Pac will pull him over....issue a citation, ... revoke his driving privileges..put him on house arrest...and feed him bread and water.

Until then...
Boxing can always use another "Feel good story" and Chris is the perfect guy to provide one.
A true gentleman.
I just hope he doesn't overstay his welcome.

flackoguapo says:

Great post Skibbz. And as of today C-AL is a +700 underdog to beat Da Manny!

Skibbz says:

[QUOTE=flackoguapo;61977]Great post Skibbz. And as of today C-AL is a +700 underdog to beat Da Manny![/QUOTE]

I think it's time for some money to be made if I were backing him!

The Commish says:

I know I am going to throw a few down on C-Al.

I think I can even get better than +700.

-Randy G.