Maidana Believes He’ll Beat Mayweather in Rematch…DO YOU?

BY Kelsey McCarson ON August 20, 2014

Marcos-Maidana

Marcos Maidana doesn’t believe he’ll need to change much against Floyd Mayweather the second time around. Maidana, age 31, thinks he won the first fight against Mayweather already, and that the second time will go his way should it go to the judges.

Mayweather defeated Maidana on May 3 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas via majority decision in a hotly contested 12-round WBC and WBA welterweight title fight . Judge Michael Pernick scored the fight 114–114. Judge Dave Moretti had it 116–112 and Burt Clements scored it 117–111 for Mayweather.

According to CompuBox, Maidana landed more punches on Mayweather, 221, than anyone ever had in a professional prizefight. Still, Mayweather outlanded Maidana 230-221 overall.

The rematch will take place at the same venue on September 13 in Las Vegas. Speaking to media members in Carson, California, Maidana said he liked his chances against Mayweather this time, whether be by knockout or decision.

"I'm always looking for the knockout. And if I can't [get it], I'm going to win by decision."

Maidana said he doesn’t believe Mayweather will be able to improve much over what he saw from him before.

"[Mayweather] can obviously change and get better, but I can change and get better too. The only thing he can do is box and that's what he did in the first fight. He was moving a lot. What is he going to do? Move more?”

Mayweather fought Maidana within relatively close quarters in the first bout. Many boxing experts wonder if that was by design or if Mayweather’s 37-year-old legs are simply beginning to tire faster in fights as he grows older, making him stand in the pocket more than ever.

A victory over Mayweather would be huge for Maidana, a fighter already popular in boxing circles for the way he manhandled Adrien Broner last year in San Antonio.

"It would be the best thing in my career because I would be the first person to beat him."

Maidana almost beat him last time out. He gave Mayweather all he could handle, but Mayweather slowly took over down the stretch to earn the hard-fought victory. Maidana said he felt tired after the first half of the fight last time and that he would pace himself better in the second fight.

"I came out strong the first six or seven rounds, and after that I had to take a break and catch my breath a little bit. I had to pace myself. I have to not get as anxious for this fight."

Don’t expect many other changes from Maidana . The frenetic brawler will use the same style he uses in every fight. Maidana throws uppercuts from the floor and overhand rights from the ceiling to give most opponents he faces something they’ve never seen before. Expect more of the same in September.

"No big changes. Just working on my distance control and a couple other minor changes."

Maidana believes a longer training camp will help him better prepare for the undefeated superstar, Mayweather, and that the 12 rounds of experience he has with the fighter will give him all he needs to come out on top.

"I've had a little more time to prepare for this fight so this time I'm going to be ready."

Maidana has never competed in a rematch. It will be interesting to see how he adjusts to Mayweather’s tactics the second time around. Moreover, the first few rounds should be telling. If Mayweather is able to control the pace and action early, the bout will likely be a whitewash. But if Maidana can land power punches and get in Mayweather’s head early, watch out.

"I never thought that he would give me the rematch. But when he decided to, I was surprised."

Most observers like Mayweather in the rematch. But if you recall, most of the same folks thought the first fight would be easy money for the world’s best. It wasn’t.

"I fight for glory. Obviously, my future is secure. But part of me fighting still is because I want to win. And I want to beat Mayweather."

michigan400 says:

Floyds legs are shot and he's not motivated by anything anymore except a paycheck. He his ripe for an *** whopping!! If Maidana don't do it this time, the next half *** guy he fights will. Pacman is pretty much done also, I think he has the worst chance of all the contenders now and I don't even care to see that fight anymore. The "Money" era is as good as over and I couldn't be happier!! LOL!!

The Shadow says:

Wow! No love for ya Michigan man huh?

The Shadow says:

I'm sure Marcos believes in fairy tales, too.

Froggy says:

I wouldn't blame him if he believed in fairy tales ! Many boxers can only dream of fighting Mayweather, win or lose, of course winning would be better ! Maidana gets to fight him twice, so maybe he does believe in Santa Claus ! But if he wins the rematch, then I will believe in fairy tales too !

The Shadow says:

Haha touché, Froggy! I love that comment, thanks. Keep posting!

Skibbz says:

In the time they've had to prepare for this fight I hope they've improved on his stamina. It didn't last into the mid to late rounds which was disappointing.

Should they improve on that his chances will be much improved in my opinion, although that's not to say he will win..
To win he will have to do a lot more than he did the last time around. But it's not impossible, as RG said in another thread he's been there and done it before, this time the nerves should be calmer and the game plan improved..

Denise Alvarez says:

Hell yes Maidana can beat Mayweather! He came pretty close the last time and if Maidana works on his endurance and stamina- he just might do it! The key will be to pace his self and bombard Floyd with his over right punches and whatever else he has. "THALE LA MADRE' A MAYWEATHER!

The Shadow says:

I hear a lot of you say that if Maidana improves his stamina he can win.

I personally have never seen a man display greater stamina in a ring than Maidana did that night, with the possible exception of Manny Pacquiao.

He took some hellacious body shots in the first few rounds -- the same stabs in between flurries that sapped Shane Mosley completely after just two rounds -- yet didn't show any fatigue until round eight. It was remarkable.

I don't see how he can get any better in the endurance department? To me he looked so fit he could participate in Tour De France or the Ironman!

deepwater2 says:

If you were impressed with MM's endurance against little Floyd, then the first Castillo fight will have you awed. Castillo took Floyd's best jabs and swept the later rounds in their first fight. That's why HBO's Harold L scored it 115-111 for Castillo. If you thought Lara lost to Canelo then the result of this fight would of had you yelling fix. The compubox numbers help tell the story : 173 power punches landed compared to 66.
203 total punches compared to 157. 8th grade Cuban school was in session.

Jabs Castillo Mayweather
Landed 30 91
Thrown 129 297
Percent 23% 31%
Power Punches Castillo Mayweather
Landed 173 66
Thrown 377 151
Percent 46% 44%
Total Punches Castillo Mayweather
Landed 203 157
Thrown 506 448
Percent 40% 35%

stormcentre says:

I personally can't see anything but a mire clear cut win for Floyd this time round.

No! It will be another razor-close win for Money May, who will never match up well against this type of pug. Money May dancing with Chino is like wrestling with a grizzly bear in a bathtub.

This will be another ugly fight, with Money May doing enough to get through the night. Holla!

I honestly don't see what Mayweather can do to greatly improve upon his last performance. Mayweather cannot truly improve due to his age.... He can only attempt to ressurect his once incomparable skill......to somehow retrieve the slowly fading abilities he used to have.

He's training harder and incorporating more strength training along with more rigorous speed drills but his battle is against age. The best he can hope for is an extra 2% or 3% improvement over his last effort.

Maidana has the invulnerability of youth. ...along with the wreckless Kamikaze faith of a warrior who truly believes he won the first war.

He will not yield ...he will not back down unless its for strategic purposes only.

Maidana has the far greater potential to improve from a physicality standpoint and is the first boxer since Del LA Hoya.

In the first fight Maidana effectively crouched and jabbed while moving in reverse to elude Mayweather whenever it appeared Floyd was beginning to exploit the crazed Argentenians chaotic offence.

Despite his crude technique Maidana is not quite the mindless automaton he appears to be.
He's boxing's version of a remorseless psychopath, who wears the festering Hockeymask of resentment and disrespect while he dispenses his brand of terror upon his unsuspecting opponents

Mayweather's struggle will be to take advantage during the lulls and gaps between Maidana's offence. One miscalculation could be his last.
If Floyd suffers a knockdown or gets pummled to frequently trying to use the ropes...he may find himself facing a deficit on the scorecards that could posdibly be too deep to overcome.

Skibbz says:

I accept what you're saying but what of the idea of fighting fire with fire? We have seen Chino go down on many occasions in the past, both from blows to the body and head. Sure he's gotten back up and usually won the fight (if not always) but Mayweather used to be one of the best offensive fighters in the sport. Can he keep up an offense for 12 rounds against the pressure of Maidana? I doubt it.. But Maidana will surely have greater endurance going into this fight so it may get too close for comfort if he attempts to sit back and let the steam cool off before he notches up rounds.

Check Maidana with the left hook and if that doesn't drop him spear the right behind for good measure, if anything it will remind the brute that he's in there with a boxer..

The Shadow says:

203 total punches compared to 157. 8th grade Cuban school was in session.

Jabs Castillo Mayweather
Landed 30 91
Thrown 129 297
Percent 23% 31%
Power Punches Castillo Mayweather
Landed 173 66
Thrown 377 151
Percent 46% 44%
Total Punches Castillo Mayweather
Landed 203 157
Thrown 506 448
Percent 40% 35%

I never personally saw the controversy with that fight. Floyd swept the first six rounds.

This fight also perfectly shows the problem with CompuBox. There's no distinction between quality and quantity. (Example: Roy Jones and Montell Griffin having similar punch stats in their rematch.)

Many of those shots Compubox counted were illegal blows in the clinch. It wasn't clean punches.

Here's a video that breaks down the clean punches:

[video=youtube;mya73B5xzsw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mya73B5xzsw[/video]

People always say he came back in the second fight and won easily. I don't think there was that much of a difference.

If I'm not mistaken, I think the scores were wider the first time out.

deepwater2 says:

Here's a video that breaks down the clean punches:

[video=youtube;mya73B5xzsw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mya73B5xzsw[/video]

If I'm not mistaken, I think the scores were wider the first time out.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkqMKGdi4LU#t=624
[url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XaYc_DsFmg

The Shadow says:

[QUOTE=deepwater2;61971]The first fight was very controversial at the time ,that is why Floyd had the rematch which he won clearly but the first fight was close. Floyd did sweep the first 4 rounds.No matter what you think of compubox the 173 power punches compared to 66 is a big deal. I see your video and admit the segments of the fight that is shown look good for FM. I counter with a video of the same fight but with slow motion of the entire fight, not just segments,that show that Floyd lost. Harold L. called the fight for Castillo spot on.

[url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkqMKGdi4LU#t=624
[url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XaYc_DsFmg[/QUOTE]

So is this guy: [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj3E_XAwL6s

That said, scoring is subjective, that's the beauty of boxing. I respect your opinion. But to me, I saw a close fight but definitely not a robbery.

Pacquiao-Bradley was a robbery. So was Lewis-Holyfield 1. I even thought Marquez-Pacquiao 1 was a minor burglary.

But I saw Mayweather winning five or six out of the first six rounds and winning this one.

It's kinda like Muhammad Ali vs. Ken Norton 2. Ali took the first six but the rest were close. I could see a case for anywhere from 11-1 to 7-5, or even 6-6, depending on what you score.

Either way, thanks for the input.

[QUOTE=The Shadow;61972]Yeah, I'm familiar with that guy too. I've watched most if not all his videos. I think the guy who did the Clean Punching video is better, though.

So is this guy: [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj3E_XAwL6s

Either way, thanks for the input.[/QUOTE]

In watching that piece on Money May and J.L. Castillo, once again one can see how boxers and their fanboys, flunkies and fanfaronades love to change history.

In this bout, Money May got a cut over his eye. WTF! In the dance with Chino, talking heads were perpetrating a fraud that it was "the first time in 46 bouts" for Money May "to suffer a cut." I say BULLCORN and sent a clip of him being cut in his second bout against southpaw Reggie Sanders. Of course, I was ignored. And after the dance, even the newspaper and internet scribes ran with the BIG lie of Money May being cut for the first time.

My point is, is that boxing is notorious for surrounding the trues with umpteen bodyguards of super lies.

Thanks for that video, The Shadow. You make my credibility and photographic memory seem even more awesome. If I don't know, I don't blow. And I always know 99.8 percent of the time, before I blow. Until I'm at least 99 percent certain, I keep stuff on the down low. Unless one is dealing with reliable people in da game, you will see ______ _______ doing any lying jive and make believe without shame.

Wow! The truth is not good for promoting and myth weaving and heaving in our dear sport. Danggit! I guess that is just the way he/she work it. [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm28EEeyLek. You know I'm not telling which Chinese boytoy is whom. Hehehe! Holla!

King Beef says:

[QUOTE=brownsugar;61969]Excellent point. I think the biggest key will be ....how well will Mayweathers hands hold up. I think he will try to put some Victor-Ortiz-presription-strength right hands on Maidana... If that's the case he could end getting injured and having to attempt winning the fight with a one handed offence. For what ever reason Maidana has more success exploiting Mayweather in the pocket than anyone else....or I should say he "appears to be getting to him". So obviously he will avoid the infighting a little more this time and vary his attack.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with you B-Sug on the "appear to be getting to him". Alot of those punches were hardly clean, with that said it will probably be another ugly close fight. I am curious to see how May fights this time; Ghost bet the house that Mayweathers legs were shot after the Cotto fight, and he moved pretty good, so we will just have to see, but at 37 father time has to be catching up alittle bit.

Latest Articles